Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,776 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

XENOPHOBIA: A Balanced View! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / XENOPHOBIA: A Balanced View! (217 Views)

Xenophobia: Nigerians Vow To Boycott MTN, Shoprite, Other South African Business / Xenophobia: South African Government Shows Concern Over Threats By NANS / Xenophobia: NANS Gives MTN, Multichoice, Shoprite, Stanbic IBTC 7 Days To Leave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

XENOPHOBIA: A Balanced View! by tinajohn: 9:43pm On Sep 07, 2019
I have read emotion-laden accounts from ‘both sides of the divide’ regarding the toxic issue of xenophobia in South Africa. However, a poignant comment on Facebook (from a South African) seemed well to sum up my own musings regarding the unfortunate violence against foreigners and the retaliatory attacks against South African businesses in several other African nations.

“As a South African, I strongly condemn the violent actions of a few of my disgruntled, jobless countrymen which are not representative of our nation in any way, shape or form. However, what I don’t understand is the generalisation of all South Africans in this negative light because of the xenophobic antics of so few. The large majority of people in our nation are peace-loving and feel ashamed at this uncalled-for violence against foreigners in our land. Let’s reverse the roles – it is indisputable that some Nigerians are truly involved in crime such as drug-dealing in our nation but it is wrong for South Africans to paint all Nigerians black just because of the actions of the criminal few. Many Nigerians are good people and have contributed to our nation positively! I take TB Joshua as an example of this – a Nigerian who is almost unanimously admired and respected here in South Africa. My point is that no nation should judge another and put them into a particular stereotype because of the actions of the few. Let peace reign in our nations; let love reign in our continent. Africa, unite!”

I unequivocally agree with the above. We condemn the violence – but responding to violence with violence only serves to add fuel to an already riotous fire. It’s wrong for anyone to jump to stereotypical conclusions about anyone based on their country of choice. There are bad eggs in every nation and every nation has its own unique challenges. Let’s put our differences aside and embrace what unites us!

(1) (Reply)

Delta State Set To Commence 2019/2020 Jobs Creation Programme / Abandoned Projects: Reps Summon CBN Gov, Former NDDC Chairman, Top Management / PDP Governors Back Atiku’s Decision To Go To Supreme Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.