Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,002 members, 7,835,385 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:30 AM

Atlanta Cop Who Beat 15-year-old Black Boy Till He Went Unconscious Gets 20-year - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Atlanta Cop Who Beat 15-year-old Black Boy Till He Went Unconscious Gets 20-year (507 Views)

Police Arrest Trigger-Happy Cop Who Killed 80-Year-Old Woman In Adamawa / Mexican Cop Who Arrested Ovidio Guzman Killed With 155 Rounds (Pics/Video) / 9-year-old Black Boy Wrongly Accused Of Sexual Assault By A White Woman (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atlanta Cop Who Beat 15-year-old Black Boy Till He Went Unconscious Gets 20-year by KfashionHubb: 8:11am On Sep 08, 2019
The African-American community has been alarmed about police brutalities against African-Americans with some recorded deaths.

Even more harrowing is seeing such rogue cops get away with zero or little punishment as if Black lives don’t matter.

But it has been good news for the African-American community when police officer, Matthew Johns was handed a 20-year sentence this week after he was indicted on eight felonies for beating 15-year-old Antraveious Payne in 2018.

Johns was indicted on eight felonies, including four counts of aggravated assault, two counts of violation of oath by an officer and two counts of giving false statement for repeatedly kicking and choking a 15-year-old boy until he was unconscious and then lying about it.
Johns pleaded guilty on July 10, and was sentenced on Monday to 20 years with five to serve in prison in connection with the 2016 incident reports TFTP.

Nevertheless, Johns still beat the hell out of him until the teen fell unconscious. Payne was beaten so badly by Johns that he was hospitalized with a concussion and suffered multiple lacerations to his face.

According to the report, after the incident, Johns was placed on administrative leave and no action was taken until a new police chief took office and reopened the case.

Johns was then fired. However, for beating a compliant suspect for no reason, he faced no criminal charges—until more than a year later.

A lawsuit by Payne or his family is likely to emerge which could cost the taxpayers of Atlanta despite Payne breaching the law by riding in a stolen vehicle because of Johns’ excessive use of force.

Disturbing dash cam footage revealed Johns beating the Atlanta teenager even when he offered no resistance, but what made the police officer’s case even bizarre is that Matthew had road crash with his cruiser a few weeks prior and was barred from driving, but managed to check out a vehicle and used it to ram another car, then beat the teen and lied about the entire ordeal.

Prosecutors, using the video of the incident, agreed, noting that Payne got out of the car and laid on the ground with his hands up, showing he did not have a weapon and was willing to surrender watch video below

Re: Atlanta Cop Who Beat 15-year-old Black Boy Till He Went Unconscious Gets 20-year by IamCharles123: 8:16am On Sep 08, 2019
But who is Matthew in the story again.
The police officer is john.
The boy is payne.
Suddenly i stated reading about Matthew, i yam not understanding.

1 Like

Re: Atlanta Cop Who Beat 15-year-old Black Boy Till He Went Unconscious Gets 20-year by Chepos1(m): 8:18am On Sep 08, 2019
Serve him right, the sentence is cool
Re: Atlanta Cop Who Beat 15-year-old Black Boy Till He Went Unconscious Gets 20-year by PureGoldh(m): 8:18am On Sep 08, 2019
IamCharles123:
The boy is payne.
Suddenly i stated reading about Matthew, i yam not understanding.

Lwkmd... My brother... Na so me too take see am oh.

The stOry dey like fiction grin
Re: Atlanta Cop Who Beat 15-year-old Black Boy Till He Went Unconscious Gets 20-year by Horus(m): 8:26am On Sep 08, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XDPbb6b6Gw

Ex-Atlanta officer who pleaded guilty to assaulting teen sentenced 20 years
Re: Atlanta Cop Who Beat 15-year-old Black Boy Till He Went Unconscious Gets 20-year by ifex370(m): 8:36am On Sep 08, 2019
But it has been good news for the African-American community when police officer, Matthew Johns was handed a 20-year sentence this week after he was indicted on eight felonies for beating 15-year-old Antraveious Payne in 2018.

IamCharles123:

The boy is payne.
Suddenly i stated reading about Matthew, i yam not understanding

PureGoldh:

Lwkmd... My brother... Na so me too take see am oh.

The stOry dey like fiction grin
Re: Atlanta Cop Who Beat 15-year-old Black Boy Till He Went Unconscious Gets 20-year by PureGoldh(m): 8:38am On Sep 08, 2019
ifex370:

Block heads.

Leave me ooh... I was just joking

(1) (Reply)

Xenophobia: Fresh Looting And Violence Has Erupted In Central Johannesburg / Four People Beheaded As Renewed Hostility Between Ebonyi And Benue States Begins / Body Of 80-year-old Woman Found With Eyes, Private Parts Missing In Taraba State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.