Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,634 members, 7,827,355 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Creating A Newspaper Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Creating A Newspaper Website (3653 Views)

10 Things You Must Know And Have Before Creating A Blog / Leadership Newspaper Website Hacked / Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating A Newspaper Website by niceuzor: 11:22am On May 17, 2007
Hey Webmasters I really need you guys help

I want to build a very large site like that of Sun news Paper

Plz guys I do need tips on how to start up the Website…

Hope to hear from you guyz.

Cheers.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by Afam(m): 12:54pm On May 17, 2007
Something like www.afamite.com/news?
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by Nobody: 11:58am On May 18, 2007
i design sun newspaper website you can contact me on08056204412 or mail feyisaralawal@sunnewsonline.com so that we can rob minds
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by niceuzor: 8:06pm On May 18, 2007
how i'm i sure that u re the one that build that site?

plz guy convice me  sad
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by Nobody: 4:25am On May 19, 2007
i have been working with sun since 2003 though am not the holy person that design the site we were 3 webmaster that work on the sun website we all put heads together to bring the site to life at least my e-mail shows that am a staff with the sun and that should be enough proved but if you are not satisfy you can check other site am working on www.laspotechalumni.com and www.estatetraders.org and in a couple of weeks i will be launching the first Nigeria Christan singles forum www.dynamitesinglesforum.com
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by Orikinla(m): 3:09pm On May 19, 2007
Before you commence work on your dream newspaper website, do your homework by seeing samples of the best newspaper templates and know the cost implications.

No Nigerian newspaper online meets world class standard presently.

See the following for the best samples and at affordable fees.
And follow the three simple steps.
Samples

A modern online newspaper should have audio-visual features like Reuters.

With only $2,000, you can have one of the best newspapers online.

I wish you all the best.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by niceuzor: 4:20pm On May 19, 2007
Thanks man
but cant you give us a free Webtemplate? sad
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by totalfact(m): 4:53pm On May 19, 2007
Comrade,
kindly provide me the load-down information.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by pmdaboh(f): 3:51am On May 20, 2007
Niceuzor . .do not expect the easy route. Someone sent you some samples of websites, which cost something, and I think you were less than "thankful". Sure, there are free design websites out there, but they may not contain everything that you want on yours.

Take the suggestions that you think can benefit you, do your "own" research, and do not look for quick and easy answers. Starting any business, whether online or not, takes time, finances, and research.

You are the "dreamer" of your business, so do not expect anyone to push it more than yourself. And, Niceuzor, a little business etiquette will take you far.

Best wishes!
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by bolaoni(m): 7:40am On May 20, 2007
Guys,

I have met Feyisara times without number and he is the one
working on Sun's website.

@nice, maybe you should outsource the job or if you want to do
it yourself, Get to learn web development. How long that will take
you to accomplish I don't know. But if you have all the time, why
not go ahead.

Feyi, I no see your hand again o. Was trying to reach out to you at
the last BLF but seems you were in a hurry. How far now? Please
let me know what is happening jare. wink
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by rozilla(m): 8:00am On May 20, 2007
i design sun newspaper website you can contact me on08056204412 or mail feyisaralawal@sunnewsonline.com so that we can rob minds

i suggest u try rubbing minds instead. or else u might find yourself attracting unfavourable attention from the police. wink
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by Anibe: 3:01pm On May 20, 2007
what you need to focus on is the CONTENT of the site rather than the design. Design can always be outsourced, or you could use content managment system (CMS).

But don't neglect the content, organise your ideas into pages and sections.

Good luck.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by Afam(m): 8:37am On May 21, 2007
No two newspaper websites are the same.

Get a programmer that can write good codes to do anything online, it's your best bet.

I feel sad when you hear people focusing energy on the wrong thing as regards web development.

The whole of yahoo or google or youtube can be replicated with codes written from scratch by any good web programmer.

If you are not ready to pay for the project then learn web programming yourself and then you can do anything you want.

www.afamite.com is a pet project I work on anytime I have free time to burn, the only money spent on it is the cost of the hosting just to make sure that what I have on the machine works well on the net.

Like someone stated, see the best newspaper websites out there and ask a programmer (not web designer) to build something similar and of course with additional features that may make sense in our own context here in Nigeria.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by Egavlas(m): 10:48am On May 21, 2007
niceuzor:

Hey Webmasters I really need you guys help

I want to build a very large site like that of Sun news Paper

Please guys I do need tips on how to start up the Website…

Hope to hear from you guys.

Cheers.

ok
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by pie1ect(m): 1:11pm On May 21, 2007
Niceuzor
I really think you should worry more about developing the content for your website first before anything else. Organize it properly, and then you can think of how you want your site visitors to view it (the site design).

You'd truly be putting the cart before the horse if you do it the other way round and it's a sure path to failure.

I'd recommend the following steps:

* Determine who your audience will be
*Identify sources of content for your site
* Develop content that you believe will appeal to that audience
* Organize that content into categories (for easy navigation)
* Determine how you want your content layed out (now website design comes in)
* Get your domain name and hosting
* Upload your site and promote it

Good luck.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by my2cents(m): 3:22pm On May 21, 2007
Architecture first:
What sections will you have? What CMS package (if you want to go that route) will you use? Are you going to go with a web hoster or have your own server(s)? How many hits do you anticipate (which would determine the hosting package) per day/month? Will you allow bloggers? Can/should pple log in for special features? Will you have advertisements? If yes, what sizes/dimensions will you accept? Will you offer RSS feeds?

Content second:
Will you be uploading news items manually? Will it be CMS? Will it be from reporters, say, via XML feeds?

Design/Development last:
Once you have the first two, this part shouldn't take you much time at all.

In general, in my opinion, you should spend close to 80% on the first 2. A sound architecture is key here. If you don't get that down pat, your site could be a failure.

I hope this helps.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by deb(m): 4:39pm On May 21, 2007
To build a proper Newspaper website, you need to understand the use
of Content Management system like drupal, joomla, alinta etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, my observation of the sun news website is that it is just a pure html site
with a few java scripting.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by bolaoni(m): 10:38am On May 22, 2007
I have told feyi they need to improve on that site o.

He can even attest to the hard work they do just getting the site up
and archiving it.

SUN You need a CMS for you site! angry
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by Seun(m): 2:16pm On May 22, 2007
SUN You need a CMS for you site!
There's nothing wrong with the Sun newspaper website. Generated HTML pages are as fast as lightening!
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by my2cents(m): 3:13pm On May 22, 2007
CNN isn't CMS' and it is rolling on fine. I bet it gets millions of hits per day.

This is where what I said above comes into play - you need a sound architecture. Again, looking at CNN, you will notice that their articles are named by date and title (cnn.com/month/date/nairaland.rules.html, for instance). I hv "tempted" them by referencing a link I saved a year ago and the article still exists. If you don't determine how you will link to articles/archive them, trust me, you will get big time headache as the site gets larger.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by Egavlas(m): 5:38pm On May 22, 2007
my2cents:

CNN isn't CMS' and it is rolling on fine. I bet it gets millions of hits per day.

This is where what I said above comes into play - you need a sound architecture. Again, looking at CNN, you will notice that their articles are named by date and title (cnn.com/month/date/nairaland.rules.html, for instance). I hv "tempted" them by referencing a link I saved a year ago and the article still exists. If you don't determine how you will link to articles/archive them, trust me, you will get big time headache as the site gets larger.

To assume that Cnn website is based on a static site framework is simply unthinkable. There are multi categories, multi-sections, multi-regions(africa, world , etc.) There is no way that CNN website would be based on a static pages arrangement.
There are CMS's (Content management Systems) that can be used out of the box, ie the way it is. On the other hand there are softwares that are written as a Framework(Content Management Framework). This enables webmasters, programmers to use the software as a frame work to build any Content Management application, be it news publisher, ticketing systems or portals. An organisation like CNN or BBC(I know of a certainty that BBC is based on a custom made Content managemt Framework), would know what it means to run such big sites on static pages. The mere thought of it would give any webmaster the shivers. CNN and by extension any of the newspapers sites that I know of, dont even use only one webmaster for the maintenance of the sites. Newspapers sites are built in such a way that different levels of authentication/access can be given to webmasters, editors, contributors and publishers to be able to log into the back-end and edit or post news items.
This cannot be achieved with static page based websites. So please dont even imagine that CNN is run of a static pages arrangement.It cant be even remotely workable giving the size of the sites.
The only thing going for non-databased newspaper sites are that they will use less processes on the server and the bandwidth usage will be lower thereby bringing the overhead of hosting fees lower. Also unlike CMS based sites, the site may load faster since there ar no calls made to database.
If the sunnews papers is based off a static pages arrangement, then the webmasters maybe going through a hectic time maintaining that site.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by kachiface(m): 6:37pm On May 22, 2007
Hi All,
To the person that says cnn site is static - you must be dreaming. That a site's pages are html does not mean its a static site; by modifying the .hta file in the web server, you can build dynamic pages with a htm/html extension.

About the sun website, its a great site, but the hard labour, i mean labour in archiving their data, its a hell one never wishes to be in. I have tried linking to their site severally, but their lack of permalinks is quite a disadvantage.

About standard newspaper websites, look at http://www.nationalstandardonline.com - it has an unbelievable CMS system - i mean everything about that site is generated on-the-fly. Since they lost their grips with a good web programmer, they've been relatively sunk.

@afamite - you've got a great stuff going on there. I loike your site, but, building a real news site is some work. You can check this one out: http://www.234world.com - here its completely powered by a CMS and everything about it dynamic, its got news from all over the place and , it's really cool.

@niceuzor, you can glean some ideas from there, u'd see how the headlines from the newspapers are there, etc and actually you can load the homepage of sun and the rest of them right there,

When people read news, they like to connect it. news is related, you take a little of this, and a little of that, that's y you'd think of having several related sources of information.

gotta split!
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by my2cents(m): 9:25pm On May 22, 2007
Weeell,

I guess as they say, you learn something new every day and I have indeed learned one thing and fulfilled my daily quota tongue
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by bolaoni(m): 6:04am On May 23, 2007
Seun,

as fast as lightening to the user but not easy for the designers.

Let my friend come and tell you what they pass through in archiving
the site. They do it every blessed day spending hours that would have been
used gainfully.

@my2cent, so good you have learnt something new bros, cos I was shocked
when I read your post.

kachi, why didn't you get back to me again? Waiting to hear how far o. wink

I am sure niceuzor will have his head full of ideas now, all he need do is take
a step.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by uniquelove(f): 3:38pm On May 23, 2007
have you designed the site yet? If you still need the newspaper site contact me at depower4ever@yahoo.com to get a professional designed website with international standard.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by deb(m): 5:19pm On May 25, 2007
Seun

There's nothing wrong with the Sun newspaper website. Generated HTML pages are as fast as lightening!

To be sincere with you a newspaper website needs CMS. This is year 2007. Why should you run an electronic newspaper website like you are publishing news manually?
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by mamosville(m): 3:25am On Oct 03, 2011
cool cool cool
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by Seun(m): 9:51am On Oct 03, 2011
Advice for 2011: Just use wordpress.
Re: Creating A Newspaper Website by craziest: 9:46am On Oct 04, 2011
Try african statesman magazine, there site seems to still be under-development anyway

http://www.africanstatesman.com/index.php/news/detail/7/Okotie-exposes-Jonathan,-says-the-president-is-not-capable

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Add My Blog To Alexa Ranking / An E-book That Will Make You A Webmaster In No Time / How To Get Free Browsing Cheats Everyday To Your Email For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.