Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Understanding Emotional Spending Habit - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Understanding Emotional Spending Habit (227 Views)

What Is That Habit You Really Need To Stop Comes 2019? / What Is That Bad Habit You Wish To Leave In 2017? / Name The Bad Habit That You Have Been Trying To Stop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Understanding Emotional Spending Habit by rotormast: 3:00pm On Sep 11, 2019
www.financesiq.com

Emotional Spending as spending that occurs when you buy something you don't need, in some cases, don't even really want, as a result of feeling stressed out, bored, under-appreciated, incompetent, unhappy or any other emotions. In fact, we spend emotionally when we are happy. For instance, what did you buy yourself the last time you got a raise?

Emotions often triggers impulse buying. A lot of this purchases may give you happiness at first but have no long-term value. This very bad spending choices usually stem from one dangerous habit of not mastering your emotional spending.

www.financesiq.com

While experiencing what I like to call emotional roller-coaster, we usually pick an habit ; either good or bad as a form of distraction. We often tend to go overboard by practicing the new habit excessively, hence why we sometimes practice impulsive buying just to give ourselves temporary satisfaction. My best advise would be for you to think before you act and do not act before you think.

When you think before you make purchases , and you are also consciously aware of and able to manage your emotions clearly, you will be able to make better decisions, and effectively manage stress and life’s inevitable challenges.

Here are the Questions you should ask yourself before making impulse purchases:

www.financesiq.com

Do I really need it ?

Can I afford it ?

In the long term, am I making a wise financial decision ?

Will this purchase change my life ?

Am I a good money manager ?

The above questions can give you a defined clarity and help you second-guess your in-process decisions before it’s been transformed into action.

Here are my 4 ways to avoid Impulse buying

www.financesiq.com

Make a budget

If you are very good at budgeting all your money, there is a big chance that you wouldn’t fall in the trap of impulse spending habit, but if you aren’t I would advise that you start creating budget plans and also learn to stick to it as a budget isn’t a magic wand that will suddenly make all of your money behave.

Avoid going to shopping areas

The simple act of going into a store opens the door wide to bad impulse shopping whenever you are feeling emotional . After all, the less you shop, the fewer the opportunities to spend money on things you don’t really need.

Avoid online shopping websites

You can create new activities other than visiting shopping websites. You can join an online study group or take up a free course online ***** . Simple strategies such as removing your saved credit cards and unsubscribing from newsletters can also go a long way towards helping you avoid the temptation to shopping

Remember your goals

Stop and think about what gets you the most excited in life. What’s the one thing you really want to do? For example, do you dream of owning your own home?! Taking a trip to Venice? Buying a new Car and Educational investment

WWW.FINANCESIQ.COM

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Money From Your Youtube Channel(netwyzblog) / Nigerian Man Buried In Arsenal Kit And Coffin (PHOTOS) / What Is Your Favorite Online Music Store?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.