Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,406 members, 7,954,604 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:39 AM

N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment (11894 Views)

$11bn Judgement Debt: Court Award £20m Damages In Favour Of Nigeria Against P&ID / 2023: Jonathan's Lawyer, Omare Reacts After Court Clears Jonathan / Look At The Pity Face Of Wike, Makinde And Donald Duke After They Met Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by remababy2: 5:39pm On Sep 11, 2019
A Federal High Court in Lagos on Wednesday cleared a former Cross River State governor Mr Donald Duke of his N537,334,360.77 debt to Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) after he paid N350 million as final settlement.

The court discharged its August 21 interim order which had permitted AMCON and the United Bank for Africa (UBA) to seize Duke’s properties and funds in his accounts.

Justice Nicholas Oweibo cleared Duke following settlement terms filed and moved by AMCON’s legal team from Benson Reeds Legal Practitioners, Abuja.

AMCON counsel, Mrs Juliet Benson, told the judge that Duke had fulfilled the terms of the out-of-court settlement and both parties had agreed to the terms.

“I hereby pray the court to adopt the terms of settlement as the judgment of court,” Benson said.

Duke’s counsel, Mr Edoigiawerie Omoruyi confirmed that his client had “shown good faith by promptly making the payment of over N350m which parties all agreed to.

Read Also: I’ll pay my N537m debt in 12 hours, Duke begs court
“I join my colleagues in praying the court to enter our terms of settlement as the full and final judgment of court.”

In a bench ruling, Justice Oweibo upheld their prayers.

The judge added: “All orders in the case stands discharged.”

AMCON had on August 8 sealed off Duke’s Ikoyi home following the interim order.

Justice Oweibo, on September 3, upheld Duke’s prayer and adjourned till September yesterday, for a report of settlement, after Duke promised to pay off the debt.

Stonehedge Investment Ltd, Duke and his wife, Owanari Bob-Manuel Duke, were first to third defendants in the suit.

https://thenationonlineng.net/n537m-debt-court-clears-duke-after-n350m-payment/amp/

1 Like

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by LegendVibes: 5:42pm On Sep 11, 2019
grin
Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by YorubaKing: 5:42pm On Sep 11, 2019
Rubbish! So what about the N187 Million balance? angry Yet, they'll jail the common man for stealing bread and other petty items.

Everything about the Nigerian system reeks of corruption. The air we breathe, the water we drink. the land we walk, the clothes we wear, the food we eat... I mean everything, all and all about Nigeria is CORRUPT! angry

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by Freemanbobble: 5:42pm On Sep 11, 2019
Okay
Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by maxiuc(m): 5:42pm On Sep 11, 2019
angry
Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by datola: 5:42pm On Sep 11, 2019
He tried!

2 Likes

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by ehirosplusbiz(m): 5:42pm On Sep 11, 2019
OK...
Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by remababy2: 5:42pm On Sep 11, 2019
Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by seeker121(m): 5:42pm On Sep 11, 2019
Nice one

1 Like

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by maxiuc(m): 5:43pm On Sep 11, 2019
Freemanbobble:
Okay
coutinue
Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by damilogogle(m): 5:43pm On Sep 11, 2019
E remain davido

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by careytommy37(m): 5:43pm On Sep 11, 2019
Who will pay the rest?

5 Likes

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by SniperSmurf(m): 5:43pm On Sep 11, 2019
Duke is the coolest ex governor. Dont quote me. cool

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by Stephendeals: 5:44pm On Sep 11, 2019
shocked

Debt recovery here and there but the effect of the recovered debts and loots are not seen in the dwindling economy, amidst all these Nigeria slide to the poverty capital of the world.

Hmmn

2 Likes

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by vedaxcool(m): 5:45pm On Sep 11, 2019
If Atiku son of cumrruption was president he would have said free Duke my guy wink wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by Amuocha: 5:45pm On Sep 11, 2019
Tinubu sef sad
Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by Lanre4uonly(m): 5:45pm On Sep 11, 2019
Case settled.

1 Like

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by mozona(m): 5:46pm On Sep 11, 2019
big man, big problem

1 Like

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 11, 2019
This is the problem with Nigerian elite. If he had N350m that he could readily pay, why wait till they took him to court. In those days of lax banking regulation and supervision, most of the billionaires you idolise today took loans with the intent of not paying back, and they went away with it with the connivance of bank MDs.

And this set of people are the ones that
our banks celebrate as VIPs and roll red carpets for, while the average Nigerian steadily saving up his few millions is seen as coming for favours from the banks.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by Hexos01(m): 5:46pm On Sep 11, 2019
Nice

1 Like

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by SaintLucia: 5:46pm On Sep 11, 2019
Professor Nwanbueze: Peter Obi!

Peter Obi: Yes daddy

Professor Nwanbueze: Oya quickly take me out of here before the final judgment.

Peter Obi: But why daddy?

Professor Nwanbueze: Are u alright at all? Can't u see that Atiku is not cumming again? Abi u wan follow chop disgrace

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by nextstep(m): 5:47pm On Sep 11, 2019
Somebody has extra 350M just lying around in checking account that can be used to clear a small problem. Sweet Jesus grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by ayomilore: 5:47pm On Sep 11, 2019
This man is one of the very few former governors who did not loot our treasury
otherwise he wouldn't have found himself in this condition.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by Badonasty(m): 5:47pm On Sep 11, 2019
remababy2:
A Federal High Court in Lagos on Wednesday cleared a former Cross River State governor Mr Donald Duke of his N537,334,360.77 debt to Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) after he paid N350 million as final settlement.

The court discharged its August 21 interim order which had permitted AMCON and the United Bank for Africa (UBA) to seize Duke’s properties and funds in his accounts.

Justice Nicholas Oweibo cleared Duke following settlement terms filed and moved by AMCON’s legal team from Benson Reeds Legal Practitioners, Abuja.

AMCON counsel, Mrs Juliet Benson, told the judge that Duke had fulfilled the terms of the out-of-court settlement and both parties had agreed to the terms.

“I hereby pray the court to adopt the terms of settlement as the judgment of court,” Benson said.

Duke’s counsel, Mr Edoigiawerie Omoruyi confirmed that his client had “shown good faith by promptly making the payment of over N350m which parties all agreed to.

Read Also: I’ll pay my N537m debt in 12 hours, Duke begs court
“I join my colleagues in praying the court to enter our terms of settlement as the full and final judgment of court.”

In a bench ruling, Justice Oweibo upheld their prayers.

The judge added: “All orders in the case stands discharged.”

AMCON had on August 8 sealed off Duke’s Ikoyi home following the interim order.

Justice Oweibo, on September 3, upheld Duke’s prayer and adjourned till September yesterday, for a report of settlement, after Duke promised to pay off the debt.

Stonehedge Investment Ltd, Duke and his wife, Owanari Bob-Manuel Duke, were first to third defendants in the suit.

https://thenationonlineng.net/n537m-debt-court-clears-duke-after-n350m-payment/amp/

Lol...Nigeria is finished...but if na me owe microfinance money Dem go seize my property if I no pay finish
Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by opalu: 5:48pm On Sep 11, 2019
Ok
Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by 9jatriot(m): 5:48pm On Sep 11, 2019
All you needed to do not to ask about the balance was read or even scan through the news.

So if AMCON non hold the guy for brocus, he for non pay?

YorubaKing:
Rubbish! So what about the N187 Million balance? angry Yet, they'll jail the common man for stealing bread and other petty items.

Everything about the Nigerian system reeks of corruption. The air we breathe, the water we drink the land we walk, the clothes we wear, the food we eat... I mean everything, all and all about Nigeria is CORRUPTION! angry

1 Like

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by Gosj01(m): 5:50pm On Sep 11, 2019
9ja! What are they teaching people?

Anyways I sell cheap and super neat laptops with free delivery and pay on delivery.

Details on signature.
Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by OlujobaSamuel: 5:50pm On Sep 11, 2019
Hmmmmmmm, so you get one ₦350m yet you no pay debt of less than ₦550m? That might not have been upto such amount if you had not default in payment

1 Like

Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by Cutehector(m): 5:51pm On Sep 11, 2019
shocked
Re: N537m Debt: Court Clears Duke After N350m Payment by Dreek: 5:51pm On Sep 11, 2019
Good day all, with a bleeding heart I typed this, I was diagnosed of having HIV which after then my life has never remain same, I lost confidence in my self and my worth. It became complicated when I loss the teaching job I was doing due to sickness and that was doing the only thing that gives me happiness. Thought of suicide has becloud my head because of isolation, no food no job. I know this is a faceless forum that is why I am sharing my burden here as I tried to keep my status far away from people close to me. Please if anyone can help me with a job I will be grateful. I have been taking my drugs the challenge is eating at the right time and eating well .please nairaland help me to overcome this stage. In case anyone can borrow or assist me with fund to start a business I will appreciate.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cross River High Court Bars Secondus From Acting As PDP Chairman / Police Arrest Another Set Of Political Thugs In Ekiti / 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.