Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,526 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Robert Mugabe’s Body Arrives Zimbabwe From Singapore (photos) - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Robert Mugabe’s Body Arrives Zimbabwe From Singapore (photos) (47096 Views)

Zimbabwe Military Takeover Live Updates: Robert Mugabe Under House Arrest / Emmerson Mnangagwa Becomes Zimbabwe President, Replaces Robert Mugabe / Robert Mugabe Agrees To Step Down, Negotiates For Grace To Leave Zimbabwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Robert Mugabe’s Body Arrives Zimbabwe From Singapore (photos) by donnie(m): 9:24pm On Sep 12, 2019
MaNyEsq:

No, you need to see beyond your nose. I do not need to cleanse my mind from nothing...I have enough intelligence to read what his own people were saying about him not just what the Press were writing. If you're that naive and ignorant to believe that he was a role model of good leadership then that means you will believe anything. Yes, he with Joshua Nkomo and others fought for their country's (Rhodesia) independence. He was elected the Prime Minister and later the President and he had all the power. At the time, he was heralded as a revolutionary hero throughout Africa in an era when Zimbabwe’s neighbor South Africa was still living under the divisive apartheid system.

But the optimism that marked those early years was soon forgotten as the revolutionary leader turned tyrant, killing opposition supporters in their hundreds and eventually leading his country to the brink of ruin. Like the proverbial saying, "power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."
Instead of leading his people to the promised land, Mugabe on the one hand amassed a fortune for himself, his family and his followers and on the other hand presided over the deliberate murder, torture and starvation of those who opposed him.

After seizing political power, Mugabe soon focused his attention on taking control of the country’s economy from the white minority, which I for one applauded. In 2000, after an electoral defeat in a referendum, he implemented a controversial land reform program targeting large commercial white owned farms, which accounted for around 80 percent of the land in Zimbabwe. Mugabe had promised to redistribute the land among poor blacks but instead, farms were handed over to his cronies (typical African dictator move) who simply helped to cement his stranglehold on power. He brought his country’s agricultural based economy to a standstill thus bringing untold hardships to his citizens. He and his cronies were living in absolute luxury while his people -about 10 million out of a population of 13 million- were living in poverty.

According to the UN, 1.5 million Zimbabweans were in need of food aid in 2011. So, please do not lecture me on whether Mr. Mugabe was good or bad for his country. You are the one who actually needs to cleanse your mind of the false notion that you had of him as a revolutionary leader during his country's struggle against the minority government of Ian Smith.

You know so much about Mugabe's rule but failed to see the hand of western powers in the challenging economic situation they had to deal with? Did you forget the sanctions? Every leader and in fact every human has his/her faults. Going by the various accomplishments you mentioned above, does he deserve the kind of remark you made? ...Such a remark upon his death? Africans should learn to celebrate their own... That's what the powers that be are afraid of.
Re: Robert Mugabe’s Body Arrives Zimbabwe From Singapore (photos) by Nobody: 11:58pm On Sep 12, 2019
donnie:

You know so much about Mugabe's rule but failed to see the hand of western powers in the challenging economic situation they had to deal with? Did you forget the sanctions? Every leader and in fact every human has his/her faults. Going by the various accomplishments you mentioned above, does he deserve the kind of remark you made? ...Such a remark upon his death? Africans should learn to celebrate their own... That's what the powers that be are afraid of.

I give credit where it's due and celebrate when appropriate and warranted. Yes, I know so much about Zimbabwe because I read and I am a student of history. The economic problem in his country was exacerbated by sanctions levied on Zimbabwe by the western countries, however, he let the power go to his head. It's one thing to deal with the white folks ruthlessly and take over their farm lands but to murder your own citizens [black] simply because they are of a minority tribe and to maintain power is wrong and unconscionable. He started off with good intentions but he got power hungry and lost sight of what he fought for as a freedom fighter. He was living a luxurious lifestyle along with his cronies while his people were starving to death. He was corrupt and only cared about his supporters. So, please, do not try to justify his corrupt practices and the atrocities that he committed against his own people by shifting the blame to the sanctions by the Western Powers. We always try to blame others for our screw ups and would never accept responsibility for them. That's the same issue with Nigeria. It's time that African countries grow up and stop blaming others for their failures.
Re: Robert Mugabe’s Body Arrives Zimbabwe From Singapore (photos) by donnie(m): 3:22pm On Sep 13, 2019
MaNyEsq:

I give credit where it's due and celebrate when appropriate and warranted. Yes, I know so much about Zimbabwe because I read and I am a student of history. The economic problem in his country was exacerbated by sanctions levied on Zimbabwe by the western countries, however, he let the power go to his head. It's one thing to deal with the white folks ruthlessly and take over their farm lands but to murder your own citizens [black] simply because they are of a minority tribe and to maintain power is wrong and unconscionable. He started off with good intentions but he got power hungry and lost sight of what he fought for as a freedom fighter. He was living a luxurious lifestyle along with his cronies while his people were starving to death. He was corrupt and only cared about his supporters. So, please, do not try to justify his corrupt practices and the atrocities that he committed against his own people by shifting the blame to the sanctions by the Western Powers. We always try to blame others for our screw ups and would never accept responsibility for them. That's the same issue with Nigeria. It's time that African countries grow up and stop blaming others for their failures.

At least I have forced you to mention the good legacy he left behind.
Nigeria? Is it Buhari you now want to compare with Mugabe?
As for the rest of the power-hungry, opposition-killing, side; hardly an African president that's free of that.
In Nigeria, just a few; the likes of GEJ, Yaradua, Shagari etc.
Re: Robert Mugabe’s Body Arrives Zimbabwe From Singapore (photos) by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 13, 2019
donnie:

At least I have forced you to mention the good legacy he left behind.
Nigeria? Is it Buhari you now want to compare with Mugabe?
As for the rest of the power-hungry, opposition-killing, side; hardly an African president that's free of that.
In Nigeria, just a few; the likes of GEJ, Yaradua, Shagari etc.

No, you NEVER forced me to say anything that I had not said prior. The lasting legacy he left was of a country that is saddled with inflation and poverty if that's what you want to refer to as "good legacy."
Re: Robert Mugabe’s Body Arrives Zimbabwe From Singapore (photos) by Karemarealty288(m): 5:20pm On Sep 13, 2019
MUGABE'S CASEKET 17BILLION WORTH

17billion worth of Robert Mugabe's casket has been computerized in such a way that after his interment, his family can watch his remains through their phone devices.

According to the London Casket makers that supplied the casket, the facilities in it will protect his remains from decomposing for the next ten years...this however implies that,apart from relating with his family, any member of his family that wishes to watch his remains in the tomb will have to access same via his or her phone devices.

Source : Michael Sam Idoko

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Villagers In Indonesia Killed 300 Crocodile After One Killed A Man(Pics) / United States Declares First Ever Water Shortage( Pictures, Video) / China Flies 19 Nuke Bombers and Fighter Jets Into Taiwan Air Space (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.