Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,935 members, 7,835,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti (3586 Views)

Buhari Deploys Service Chiefs To Niger Delta Over Rising Militancy. / Chibok Girls Rescue: Military Deploys 2 Fighter Jets, 4 Helicopters In Gwoza / Fashola Commission Powered Panels At The Lagos State Model School At Meiran. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 29, 2010
[size=18pt]Omatek deploys Solar-powered panels in Ekiti [/size]

AS Nigerians baskin the euphoria of the 50th Independence anniversary celebration, Omatek Ventures Plc has announced the deployment of 24-hour alternative solar-powered hybrid solution combined with LED bulbs in 22 schools in Ekiti State.

According to the Group Managing Director of Omatek Ventures Plc, Engr. (Mrs.) Florence Seriki, the current deployment is a special gift to Nigeria on this auspicious occasion of its 50th anniversary celebrations as Nigerians can now heave a sigh of relief with the introduction of the first of its kind Omatek 24-hour alternative Solar- Powered hybrid Solution which can be deployed in schools, homes, offices, industrial areas, critical mission areas and the telecommunications sector. She said the Solar-Powered hybrid solution is also available in smaller compact sizes for use by SME's in kiosks.

She beamed with pride at this innovation especially seeing the whole school and the dormitories well lit for 24 hours. She added as follows "Gone are the days when we were reading with lantern and candle lights"

The Omatek 24-hour Solar -Powered hybrid solution helps to reduce power consumption by 85%, thus making it cost efficient. The Solution combines the benefits of the solar system and those of the LED technology to proffer solutions that reduce energy consumption while saving costs.

With the 24 hour solar hybrid solution, Omatek Solar panel generates power for domestic and industrial use as the solar output passes through a solar charge controller which powers the load directly during the day while also charging a bank of deep cell lead-acid batteries back-up system for use at night (sunset). The energy is then supplied via the Omatek brand of solar inverters.

According to Mrs. Seriki, Omatek is also changing the face of household/office lighting with the LED bulbs which generates less heat and can last 6-10 times longer than incandescent bulbs with an approximately 3 – 5 year life span and consumes 80-90% less energy than incandescent bulbs. These bulbs are maintenance free for 3 - 5 years.

Meanwhile, the General Manager, Technical, Mr. Musa Igbo confirmed that with the LED technology, a typical 60 watts bulb will be converted to 3.8 watts. Similarly, a typical 42watts 4ft fluorescent bulb will be reduced to 13-17 watts while this is the same for a 2ft 42 watts fluorescent bulb. LED bulbs are also eco-friendly as they generate less carbon emissions (co2) thus contributing towards the global warming solution. The output of led Bulb is directional, ensuring uniform illumination and brightness and they come in a variety of forms and shapes.

It is pertinent to note that Omatek was awarded these set of 21 schools after the successful completion and deployment of the first pilot school- Baptist High School Ijede Ekiti. Other schools and States are also taking advantage of this unique innovation as Omatek kick starts other projects like provision of 24 hour power solution to Police Stations and hospitals.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/oct/28/318.html
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 29, 2010
Keep the news coming. . . .The constant light will def help improve student's performance in school.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by semid4lyfe(m): 7:34am On Oct 29, 2010
Nice!
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by jason12345: 10:12am On Oct 29, 2010
i'm happy for ekiti! grin
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by PhilMoane: 10:14am On Oct 29, 2010
When the People's choice (righteous) reigns, People rejoice.

Omatek can come with more Innovations because the People are more Important.

Solar Power will start from school, but must get to the remote villages also.

People must feel a visible change between when their choice rules, and when the wicked rules.

I am glad with this news.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Olaolufred(m): 10:21am On Oct 29, 2010
Congrat Ekiti. A new dawn has come.
God, restore back to Ekiti all the years that OBJ and PDP had eaten up.
Amen.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by robby1(m): 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2010
Where are pictures of the facility?
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Youngichou(m): 1:19pm On Oct 29, 2010
r_o_b_b_y:

gbam you just ask what i wanted writing down
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 1:31pm On Oct 29, 2010
Thank God for the innovation. This innovation I doubt if it is from Fayemi. But If it is from Fayemi good move and more grease to his elbow. we would appreciate it if the poster could show the pic of a school where such facility is at present.

May God bless Ekiti. Ekiti a gbe a oooooooooooo
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 29, 2010
have they executed?

because the cost of solar power installations is not cheap, and led lighting costs lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 29, 2010
l̴͖̲̖̱͎͋́̀̏̀͂͜ơ̴̢̘͖͖̟͔̲͉̣̖̒͐̑̑̈́̀̓̆̑͒̏̈́̽̇͌͆̚͘r̴̢̛͕̞̠̼̥͇͙̥̥̗̼͎̰̻̗̩̹̬̰̜̰̪̜̯͈̓̇͆͜ę̴̧̦̩̞̫̬̫͓̫̟̣͖̝̤̩̱̻͌̆̈̅̊̇̈́̄͒͆͂̒̋͗̀́͐̚͜͜m̵̳̬͎̦̼̖͙̻̞̲̳͎͖̤̜͙̞̘̪̥͈̮̲̫̈́̂̑̓̅͌̉̃̄́̎̈́͛̔̃̈͒͛̆̉̉̍̍͌̅̒̿͘͝ͅͅ ̸̨̛̛̮̱͖͇̗͉͙̭͉͕͖̯̼͂̀̆̔̀̽̿̆͐͑͑̀̈́̈͂͒̽̅̒́̒̚͘̚̚̕͝ͅͅͅį̷̨͚̜͖̪̯̦̼̹̤͇̱͕̹̯̓̂̎͊̎͐͊͂̽̈́͊̅̈̏̋͗̀̾̎̂̀̚͝ͅp̵̡͖̱̮̹̫͖̱̺͖͚̙͇̘͈̥̭͎̅̃͗͒̒̐̀̽͑̕̕̕͜͜ş̵̧̛͚͎̘̹̻̩͉̩͕͕͍̲̼̳̲̬͖̟͊̒̽̊͛͂͒̍̇̾̅̀̑̽̆͌̈́͒̀̒́̒̏̚͝͠u̸̧̫̯͉̥̬̗͚̹͙̇̑̾͌̃͌̈́̉̀͛̍̂̄̃̑͝m̵̨̧̛̲̰̰̫̰̖̗̟͉̝͚̯̞̮̪̝͚̯͔̖̻͉͈̫̫̩̞͗̀̈́̅͆̽̆̎͐͂͆̐̾͊̆͝ ̵̛̛̯̮͍͎̜̖̥̫̱͕̥̻̖̮͈̖͎̯͊̒̉̔̔̓̀̍̆̈̊̈́̀͑̓̎̓̄̚͘͜͠͝n̵̟̜̗̩̬̯̫͇̝̙̖̟͋́̒̾̃͒͊̂̇̔͌̎͌̂͠ͅả̸̡͇̟͕̓̾͗̋̄͆̆̒͆̃͐͝i̵̢̧̧̮̞̺̻̝̬̤̲͉̟̟̺̙̣̣̭̘̱̰͇̦̍̌̀̒̎̒͋̊͐̇̿̌͛̓̓͑̆́̉͊͗̿́͘͜͝r̵̻̱̼̣̊̏͂͌̎͊̿̈͂̒͂́̐̔͂̅̅̀͘͝a̵̢͓͉̪̯̯͕̲͔̘͎͓͖̅̄͌̓̈́̒̾̇̀̈́̊̐̋͊̏̎͒̆̊̈̿̑̀͋̒̕̕͠ͅͅl̵̺̩̙̣͉̙͍̱͉͚͖̬̻̮͒̓̄́̀̋̈́͋̈̚͠ḁ̷̛̼̤͔̩̱̜̱̯̦̭̗͓̘͈͔̹̟̥̹̈́̇̔̄̂̀̔͂̏́̆͂̀̀̈́̑͐̇̓͒͊̕̕͝͝n̴̢̛̥͇͇̤̓̎̅̐͑̔͒̐͆͒̾͗̒̓̒́̓̾͗̒͜͝͝ḑ̴̧̨̝̞̦̯̯̠̺̭̭̗̭̱̯͉̹͔̪̦̉͂̋̽̿͑̃̽̐͐͋̌̏͌͑͗̀̎͜͠͠͝͠
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 29, 2010
oyb:

have they executed?

because the cost of solar power installations is not cheap, and led lighting costs lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
That's not only my worry, but also how the SP will be maintained. Ekiti is poor economically, so I'll also be closely watching where Fayemi gets the money .

I'm just surprised that despite the fact that we don't get much electricity/light in school, it never bothered our progress in education sect. So imagine how this new method will help us, I hope it works.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 29, 2010
r_o_b_b_y:

Not yet online. Trust me, I've searched myself.

Olaolufred:

Congrat Ekiti. A new dawn has come.
God, restore back to Ekiti all the years that OBJ and PDP had eaten up.
Amen.
Ayorinde S:

Thank God for the innovation. This innovation I doubt if it is from Fayemi. But If it is from Fayemi good move and more grease to his elbow. we would appreciate it if the poster could show the pic of a school where such facility is at present.

May God bless Ekiti. Ekiti a gbe a oooooooooooo

Aseeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
May your prayers be answered my ppl.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by netotse(m): 12:38am On Oct 30, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

That's not only my worry, but also how the SP will be maintained. Ekiti is poor economically, so I'll also be closely watching where Fayemi gets the money .

I'm just surprised that despite the fact that we don't get much electricity/light in school, it never bothered our progress in education sect. So imagine how this new method will help us, I hope it works.
how do you maintain solar panels?. . .part of solar energy's selling point is that it has practically no running costs when compared to other conventional forms of energy.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 12:44am On Oct 30, 2010
netotse:

how do you maintain solar panels?. . .part of solar energy's selling point is that it has practically no running costs when compared to other conventional forms of energy.

It actually does need to be maintained some. This 24-hour set up will need maintenance to ensure it continues to supply 24/hr energy.

oyb:

have they executed?

It is cheaper than total yearly cost of running a generator though. Hopefully, more and more Nigerians, rather than waiting for the Government, will realize that they loose more running those generators, and limiting themselves to so many hours of electricity each day, than they would getting solar panels and other alternative sources now.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by netotse(m): 1:20am On Oct 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

It actually does need to be maintained some. This 24-hour set up will need maintenance to ensure it continues to supply 24/hr energy.

It is cheaper than total yearly cost of running a generator though. Hopefully, more and more Nigerians, rather than waiting for the Government, will realize that they loose more running those generators, and limiting themselves to so many hours of electricity each day, than they would getting solar panels and other alternative sources now.
what sort of maintenance would it need? since it's solar, the panels will need to be cleaned twice or thrice a year, LED bulbs dont need to be changed as often as incandescent ones. . .or is there something i'm missing?

in nigeria we like inductive loads and solar panels just dont do well in that area. . .

P.S. how far that your solar-biz thingy?
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 1:23am On Oct 30, 2010
netotse:

what sort of maintenance would it need? since it's solar, the panels will need to be cleaned twice or thrice a year, LED bulbs dont need to be changed as often as incandescent ones. . .or is there something i'm missing?

in nigeria we like inductive loads and solar panels just dont do well in that area. . .

P.S. how far that your solar-biz thingy?

Key --- 24hours. There is more to a 24 hour system than just panels on the roof you don't have to pay attention to.

Business is coming strong . , looking forward to xmas sales.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by netotse(m): 1:31am On Oct 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Key --- 24hours. There is more to a 24 hour system than just panels on the roof you don't have to pay attention to.

Business is coming strong . , looking forward to xmas sales.
you're not telling me what the maintenance is o, a colleague of mine works with solar panels so in addition to having an interest with them i'm very familiar with how they work. . .you wouldn't be going over my head if you expatiated on the maintenance to me. . . grin

congrats. . .do you have a website or address, might be looking to buy panels soon
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 1:44am On Oct 30, 2010
netotse:

you're not telling me what the maintenance is o, a colleague of mine works with solar panels so in addition to having an interest with them i'm very familiar with how they work. . .you wouldn't be going over my head if you expatiated on the maintenance to me. . . grin

congrats. . .do you have a website or address, might be looking to buy panels soon
A 24 hour installation includes more than just the panels which themselves require the occasional cleaning to maintain efficiency of the cells.

Building the website myself as we speak.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by netotse(m): 3:27am On Oct 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

A 24 hour installation includes more than just the panels which themselves require the occasional cleaning to maintain efficiency of the cells.

Building the website myself as we speak.

my interest in the matter is strictly professional, i'm wondering what maintenance could cast doubts as regards the viability of the project, you haven't given me any answers, each time you've alluded to the fact that it's a 24 hour meinene how does that affect things?

I know exactly what a 24 hour solar meinene requires, we(the company i work for) have executed a modest number of solar projects in nigeria so i'm far from clueless when it comes to solar power, (i'm not in renewable energy sha, even though i follow what they do).

please let me know as soon as it's done. . .

P.S. the energy commission of nigeria has a list of panel manufacturers/brand it recommends, while the list is only binding on it's contractors you might benefit from knowing them, i could get the list for you on monday if you're interested
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 3:35am On Oct 30, 2010
netotse:

my interest in the matter is strictly professional, i'm wondering what maintenance could cast doubts as regards the viability of the project, you haven't given me any answers, each time you've alluded to the fact that it's a 24 hour meinene how does that affect things?

I know exactly what a 24 hour solar meinene requires, we(the company i work for) have executed a modest number of solar projects in nigeria so i'm far from clueless when it comes to solar power, (i'm not in renewable energy sha, even though i follow what they do).

The way I see it, maintainance has little to do with casting doubt on viability of any product. The user needs to be aware of the maintainance required to maintain optimal output is all, in most cases.

A 24 hour system is more than just panels on the roof. There are other tools that would come with such an install that each have different maintainance requirements.

please let me know as soon as it's done. . .

netotse:
P.S. the energy commission of nigeria has a list of panel manufacturers/brand it recommends, while the list is only binding on it's contractors you might benefit from knowing them, i could get the list for you on monday if you're interested
Sure, would not mind getting my hands on such a list.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 4:11am On Oct 30, 2010
KoboJ, I'll like your opinion on this. Do you think the installment is a welcome development or do you think it's another "FAIL"?
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 4:19am On Oct 30, 2010
Only God knows oo. . . . I only hope we are, at this time, over folding our hands while the good things we have decays because of neglect.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 4:31am On Oct 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Only God knows oo. . . . I only hope we are, at this time, over folding our hands while the good things we have decays because of neglect.
I know, I know. Sigh. I feel the same way.

At the same time, I feel like everyone is keep a close eye on Fayemi because he kinda paved the clearance for democracy that our country has let faded. Democracy in the sense that he respectfully fought the illegal placement [or should I say "unjust imposition"] of Oni on Ekiti State. After months of fighting, justice was granted and PDP was put to shame. If Fayemi follows the steps of those he fought against, he would be deeply scrutinized and not only by Ekiti ppl. So I think he is [or should be] taking his steps carefully. But my concern is, how "legal" is this, or is this just another move to loot the state [Not that we have much hahah]? I'm very very concerned. But we shall see.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 5:07am On Oct 30, 2010
the most probable running cost

the batteries, which will be charged by the panel and discharged by the lights

i may go for solar panels as a third alternative.

the blasted inveter i bought has packed up again and i'm not uite ready to go the the manufactureer warehouse at ikeja
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 5:14am On Oct 30, 2010
Solar is the best for Nigeria --- not generator or inverters.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 5:17am On Oct 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Solar is the best for Nigeria --- not generator or inverters.

Why?

And does the location they wish to install the SP not matter? Wondering about the interference of the excess Ekiti mountains on them and how they'll fare.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 5:20am On Oct 30, 2010
Mountains have little to do with Solar. Matter of fact, setting up a Solar Farm on any of dem mountains does not sound a bad idea . . .lol
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by tunde300us(m): 9:22am On Oct 30, 2010
As long as you cant achieve more than 25% efficiency from a solar cell,then it will still remain one of the most expensive form of energy,it obviously is the cleanest,but not the cheapest.
Gas powered plants still remain the cheapest and efficient,but the most enviromentally unfriendly.I wish ekiti all the best in their quest to improve education
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 3:54pm On Oct 30, 2010
tunde300us:

As long as you cant achieve more than 25% efficiency from a solar cell,then it will still remain one of the most expensive form of energy,it obviously is the cleanest,but not the cheapest.
Gas powered plants still remain the cheapest and efficient,but the most enviromentally unfriendly.I wish ekiti all the best in their quest to improve education

Yes, and we have in the last 50 years seen how easy and cheap that has come to you, right?
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 4:20pm On Oct 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Yes, and we have in the last 50 years seen how easy and cheap that has come to you, right?
Wicked!!
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by lastpage: 8:02pm On Oct 30, 2010
Until we can manufacture those "Deep Cycle Batteries" in Nigeria, all these talk of Solar Energy being the cheapest in Nigeria is HOGWASH and selling-by-deceit!

How on earth will an average Nigerian (say a Teacher who earns 50K monthly) be able to buy enough batteries to switch COMPLETELY to Solar Power?

Calculate the energy needs of a household (Fridge, Freezer, TV, Fans, Music System, Phones, Electric Cooker, Microwave, Boiling kettle, A.C, Computer System, e.t.c) and tell me the size/number of those very expensive Deep Cycle Batteries that would be needed to guarantee uninterrupted Solar Power energy supply.

Until anyone can show me a calculation that shows that Solar arrangement is cheaper than NEPA  grin or Gas or even firewood (lol), until then, stop deceiving people and raising their hopes unnecessarily.

BTW: We had Berec Batteries in Lagos when l was young; cant Fashola  grin or any private Investor go into that battery manufacture?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cbn Donates N25m To Madalla Bomb Victims / Why Ndigbo May Not Vote APC In 2015 Elections. / Boko Haram Fighters Today Killed At Least 70 Soldiers In A Fierce Battle Between

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.