Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,312 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF (1617 Views)

How Much Are Manual Processes Costing You? Find Out... / There’s Not Enough Women-led Tech Start-ups – And It’s Costing Us All / MSI GS63 Stealth- 15.6" Core I7 8th Gen 16gb Ram Gtx 1060 6gb SOLD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by erico2k2(m): 9:00pm On Sep 13, 2019
Plane spotters received an unexpected surprise when a B2B stealth bomber came into land at RAF Fairford, Gloucestershire.

The nuclear-capable $2.1bn aircraft was involved in a training mission over Iceland when it returned to the RAF base shortly before nightfall.

Dozens of planespotters gathered around the airbase's perimeter fence waiting for the stealth bomber's return. Steve King, who was among the crowd, said: 'It was quite a sight, as they are a unique and weird UFO-type looking planes.

'I thought I’d take a different perspective, including some of the crowd looking up at it.'

Mr King, 37, from Swindon, Wiltshire, added: 'I’d say roughly it was about 50ft above me.

'Living fairly local to the airbase I am a regular visitor when these exercises take place.'
Three of the B2 bombers - which cost $135,000-an-hour to operate - have been involved in a series of NATO training missings.

The planes, which use the callsigns DEATH 1, DEATH 2 and DEATH 3 are temporarily based at RAF Fairford as part of a series of NATO training exercises. The aircraft touched down in Gloucestershire on August 27
With a 172-foot wingspan and a design that allows them to travel 10,000 miles with only one mid-air re-fueling so that they could bypass Soviet air defence systems, they are one of the most deadly warplane models in the sky.
They are a small part of a US fleet of 20 Stealth Bombers, the country's most technologically advanced aircraft ever made, which are based at Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri.

First designed under the Carter Administration, originally 132 were ordered by the United States. However, this was quickly scaled back following the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Since then the Stealth bombers have been used in fighting over Kosovo, where they bombed Serbian forces as NATO countered ethnic cleansing in the region, to take out Taliban targets in Afghanistan, and more recently to hit ISIS positions in Syria.
RAF Fairford is classed as a 'forward operating base' for the 509th Bomb Wing in the US European Command area.

During their training missions, the B-2s have flown with RAF F-35s, landed in Iceland at Naval Air Station Keflavik, Iceland in August and performed hot-pit refuelling training on the Azores. During hot-pit refuelling, ground crew replenish the aircraft's fuel supply while the engines are running.

According to Lt Col Rob Schoeneberg, Bomber Task Force Commander: 'Our Royal Air Force friends are integral to the 509th Bomb Wing mission.

'The beauty of our partnerships is that we get to understand how they see the world. Working alongside international fifth generation aircraft provides unique training opportunities for us, bolsters our integration capabilities, and showcases the commitment we have to our NATO alliance.'

Last week, the B-2s conducted a training mission in the Arctic Circle - the furthest north they have ever operated in Europe, according to US Strategic Command.

The aircraft conducted a night midair refuelling exercise before returning to RAF Fairford.

The B-2 Spirit bomber first flew in 1989 and has set the record for the longest ever combat mission at 44 hours in 2001 - hours after the 9/11 attacks.

According to the US Air Force: 'The B-2 bombers, part of the Bomber Task Force currently deployed to the U.S. European Command area of responsibility, are from the 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri. The aircraft arrived in theater on Aug. 27, and are temporarily operating out of RAF Fairford. The deployment of strategic bombers to the U.K. helps exercise RAF Fairford as U.S. Air Forces in Europe’s forward operating location for bombers.

'Strategic bomber missions enhance the readiness and training necessary to respond to any potential crisis or challenge across the globe.'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/us-stealth-bomber-costing-dollar21bn-and-with-call-sign-death-lands-at-british-raf-base-after-training-mission-in-iceland-as-stunned-plane-fanatics-look-on/ar-AAHfjSt?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by nonen(m): 9:06pm On Sep 13, 2019
Can someone remind me what the value of our 2020 national budget is please. I refuse to listen to news these days because of Liar Mohammadu
Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by erico2k2(m): 9:10pm On Sep 13, 2019
nonen:
Can someone remind me what the value of our 2020 national budget is please. I refuse to listen to news these days because of Liar Mohammadu
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by Lolo24: 9:13pm On Sep 13, 2019
Wow
Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by seankafor(m): 9:25pm On Sep 13, 2019
This plane alone pass some country GDP per capital embarassed

And u talk say life fair undecided
Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by erico2k2(m): 9:30pm On Sep 13, 2019
seankafor:
This plane alone pass some country GDP per capital embarassed

And u talk say life fair undecided
At all Life nor fair! angry
Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by slowice(m): 9:55pm On Sep 13, 2019
OMG things.... They re not world power for nothing
Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by Harlem2(m): 11:03pm On Sep 13, 2019
Country that is spending billions of dollars on space exploration
This one na small thing cool cool cool to dey boast of
Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by Babalegba(m): 11:21pm On Sep 13, 2019
I believe the Americans are exaggerating concerning the cost. Moreover that plane is not invincible,the serbs shot one down during the Kosovo war and inexpensive Russian missiles are capable of downing it.
Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by erico2k2(m): 8:14pm On Sep 14, 2019
Babalegba:
I believe the Americans are exaggerating concerning the cost. Moreover that plane is not invincible,the serbs shot one down during the Kosovo war and inexpensive Russian missiles are capable of downing it.
Non of these plane was ever shot down, This plane is invisable

1 Like

Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by Babalegba(m): 10:49pm On Sep 14, 2019
erico2k2:

Non of these plane was ever shot down, This plane is invisable
Just Google " Balkan war stealth fighter shot down" and you would see that it was shot down by serbs using Russian missiles. I was in Europe at the time and remember it vividly because prior to that incident we thought the plane was invincible.Present day Russian surface to air missiles are even deadlier and extremely fast.A bomber is an easier target than a fighter
Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by erico2k2(m): 11:00pm On Sep 14, 2019
Babalegba:
Just Google " Balkan war stealth fighter shot down" and you would see that it was shot down by serbs using Russian missiles. I was in Europe at the time and remember it vividly because prior to that incident we thought the plane was invincible.Present day Russian surface to air missiles are even deadlier and extremely fast.A bomber is an easier target than a fighter
erm Im sure you saw it on google, please show me the link!
waiting
it was the F-117 that was shot down

2 Likes

Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by Babalegba(m): 11:20pm On Sep 14, 2019
erico2k2:

erm Im sure you saw it on google, please show me the link!
waiting
it was the F-117 that was shot down
Oga, they are the same class of radar evading aircraft that was conceived during the Reagan administration and everyone thought it was impossible to shoot a stealth class aircraft down but the serbs triangulated it's position using spotters on the ground and shot it to pieces grin . Stealth class aircrafts are more sophisticated now but Russian surface to air missiles are even more sophisticated than before.You can research Russian missile defense system and you'll see that stealth fighters and bombers are not safe from them and their speed is astonishing even in military terms
Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by erico2k2(m): 11:30pm On Sep 14, 2019
Babalegba:
Oga, they are the same class of radar evading aircraft that was conceived during the Reagan administration and everyone thought it was impossible to shoot a stealth class aircraft down but the serbs triangulated it's position using spotters on the ground and shot it to pieces grin . Stealth class aircrafts are more sophisticated now but Russian surface to air missiles are even more sophisticated than before.You can research Russian missile defense system and you'll see that stealth fighters and bombers are not safe from them and their speed is astonishing even in military terms
U know nothing john snow, the B-2 is the highest evasive fighter jet of all time.No one in the world has that tech as of yet. These two planes are not the same very different in manoeuvrability and navigation. Its one of the only fighter jet that needs just one refuel plus its way bigger than the F117A. I would be down at the airfield tomorrow to hopefully catch a glimpse of it.

1 Like

Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by Babalegba(m): 12:02am On Sep 15, 2019
erico2k2:

U know nothing john snow, the B-2 is the highest evasive fighter jet of all time.No one in the world has that tech as of yet. These two planes are not the same very different in manoeuvrability and navigation. Its one of the only fighter jet that needs just one refuel plus its way bigger than the F117A. I would be down at the airfield tomorrow to hopefully catch a glimpse of it.
It is still an expensive target practice for Russians.Sure it's useful for intimidating Nigerians, Iraqis and other low tech countries but it's a missile magnet when it confronts more capable countries.Its about as useful as an aircraft carrier against Russia which would be sunk at the beginning of hostilities.My point is that it's all hype and an effort to intimidate.
Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by Rex123(m): 1:10am On Sep 15, 2019
Babalegba:
It is still an expensive target practice for Russians.Sure it's useful for intimidating Nigerians, Iraqis and other low tech countries but it's a missile magnet when it confronts more capable countries.Its about as useful as an aircraft carrier against Russia which would be sunk at the beginning of hostilities.My point is that it's all hype and an effort to intimidate.

While the cost might be inflated which i still doubt, you are overestimating the strength and the ability of the Russian army and air force! the Russian army was decisively dealt with by the Afghans. the Russian air force suffered the same fate during the six days war. they were hugely decimated by the Israeli air force. by the war do you know what it takes to sink an aircraft carrier? lol you must be joking! the Americans have quadruple of the closest country air craft carriers. those stuffs are expensive and are heavily guarded.

if you think this Caucasians would risk going to another world war with themselves you are mistaken! they learnt their lessons, why do you think most of the world crisis now are in the middle east and Asia? if there was going to be a war it should have happened in the 60s and it was the almighty Russia that cave with it empire!

2 Likes

Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by AlphaSoul: 1:13am On Feb 26, 2021
erico2k2:
Plane spotters received an unexpected surprise when a B2B stealth bomber came into land at RAF Fairford, Gloucestershire.

The nuclear-capable $2.1bn aircraft was involved in a training mission over Iceland when it returned to the RAF base shortly before nightfall.

Dozens of planespotters gathered around the airbase's perimeter fence waiting for the stealth bomber's return. Steve King, who was among the crowd, said: 'It was quite a sight, as they are a unique and weird UFO-type looking planes.

'I thought I’d take a different perspective, including some of the crowd looking up at it.'

Mr King, 37, from Swindon, Wiltshire, added: 'I’d say roughly it was about 50ft above me.

'Living fairly local to the airbase I am a regular visitor when these exercises take place.'
Three of the B2 bombers - which cost $135,000-an-hour to operate - have been involved in a series of NATO training missings.

The planes, which use the callsigns DEATH 1, DEATH 2 and DEATH 3 are temporarily based at RAF Fairford as part of a series of NATO training exercises. The aircraft touched down in Gloucestershire on August 27
With a 172-foot wingspan and a design that allows them to travel 10,000 miles with only one mid-air re-fueling so that they could bypass Soviet air defence systems, they are one of the most deadly warplane models in the sky.
They are a small part of a US fleet of 20 Stealth Bombers, the country's most technologically advanced aircraft ever made, which are based at Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri.

First designed under the Carter Administration, originally 132 were ordered by the United States. However, this was quickly scaled back following the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Since then the Stealth bombers have been used in fighting over Kosovo, where they bombed Serbian forces as NATO countered ethnic cleansing in the region, to take out Taliban targets in Afghanistan, and more recently to hit ISIS positions in Syria.
RAF Fairford is classed as a 'forward operating base' for the 509th Bomb Wing in the US European Command area.

During their training missions, the B-2s have flown with RAF F-35s, landed in Iceland at Naval Air Station Keflavik, Iceland in August and performed hot-pit refuelling training on the Azores. During hot-pit refuelling, ground crew replenish the aircraft's fuel supply while the engines are running.

According to Lt Col Rob Schoeneberg, Bomber Task Force Commander: 'Our Royal Air Force friends are integral to the 509th Bomb Wing mission.

'The beauty of our partnerships is that we get to understand how they see the world. Working alongside international fifth generation aircraft provides unique training opportunities for us, bolsters our integration capabilities, and showcases the commitment we have to our NATO alliance.'

Last week, the B-2s conducted a training mission in the Arctic Circle - the furthest north they have ever operated in Europe, according to US Strategic Command.

The aircraft conducted a night midair refuelling exercise before returning to RAF Fairford.

The B-2 Spirit bomber first flew in 1989 and has set the record for the longest ever combat mission at 44 hours in 2001 - hours after the 9/11 attacks.

According to the US Air Force: 'The B-2 bombers, part of the Bomber Task Force currently deployed to the U.S. European Command area of responsibility, are from the 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri. The aircraft arrived in theater on Aug. 27, and are temporarily operating out of RAF Fairford. The deployment of strategic bombers to the U.K. helps exercise RAF Fairford as U.S. Air Forces in Europe’s forward operating location for bombers.

'Strategic bomber missions enhance the readiness and training necessary to respond to any potential crisis or challenge across the globe.'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/us-stealth-bomber-costing-dollar21bn-and-with-call-sign-death-lands-at-british-raf-base-after-training-mission-in-iceland-as-stunned-plane-fanatics-look-on/ar-AAHfjSt?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout
Death 1-3 grin
Re: US Stealth Bomber Costing $2.1bn And With Call-sign 'DEATH' Lands At British RAF by erico2k2(m): 3:13pm On Mar 04, 2021
AlphaSoul:

Death 1-3 grin

lol

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Sold / SOLD / Oraimo Theater 2 Headset - Brand New 10k ONLY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.