Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,722 members, 7,831,296 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule (517 Views)

Zakari & Alysa Wed: Governor Sule Attends Son's Wedding In The US / Governor Sule's Son, Hassan Is Dead / October 31 Deadline Is Not Feasible As 140 Million Nigerians Yet To Get NIN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule by zakim(m): 2:00pm On Sep 14, 2019
Governor Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa State has said that the complex nature of the Nigerian society was not conducive for establishing state police as being canvassed by some Nigerians. He made the statement while fielding questions as a guest on Channels Television, on Friday night, as monitored from Lafia, that, “I identified funding as a major issue that will stand in the way of setting up state police in the country.”

Governor Sule said: “Today, in every community, you will have a traditional ruler, community leaders, stakeholders and more. These people are really responsible for the protection of that community, not necessarily the police.” He disagreed with the suggestion that police officers should be posted to their place of origin in order to effectively discharge their responsibilities, emphasizing that state police was not the solution to the country’s security challenges.

The governor said his administration had decided to embrace community policing rather than state police, stressing that security was a responsibility of everyone and that the people in the communities were in better position to police their environment.

According to him, those agitating for the introduction of language to determine where a police officer should serve as being “off the mark”, adding that the real issue was about finding the right people who will assist the security agencies and the communities towards ensuring that crime and criminalities were reduced.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/why-state-police-is-not-feasible-governor-sule.html
Re: Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule by spyder880(m): 2:03pm On Sep 14, 2019
State police as has been promoted by Senator Ike Ekweremadu remains the only best way to secure lives and properties. The people of every state has their peculiar risks and problems, only indigenous people can identify, track and bust a security risk and provide protection for their populace. This is because they are the main stakeholders.

Nothing beats local knowledge.

3 Likes

Re: Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule by amaniro: 2:30pm On Sep 14, 2019
spyder880:
State police as has been promoted by Senator Ike Ekweremadu remains the only best way to secure lives and properties. The people of every state has their peculiar risks and problems, only indigenous people can identify, track and bust a security risk and provide protection for their populace. This is because they are the main stakeholders.

Nothing beats local knowledge.

Nigeria is not mature enough for state policing. Besides, some state I bet would not be able to cater for the police men.

1 Like

Re: Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule by spyder880(m): 4:40pm On Sep 14, 2019
efighter:

Which Senator Ikeremadu? You people are just blind tribalists. When did Ikeremadu mention state police? Was it after his ass was whipped in Germany? Tinubu fought Obasanjo for State Police in 2002/2003. Osinbajo who was Lagos Attorney General dragged FG and Obasanjo to Court over State Police and Resource Control. Where was Ikeremadu then?

https://punchng.com/ekweremadu-75-senators-lay-state-police-bill-before-senate/

No need for harsh words Sir.

https://punchng.com/ekweremadu-restates-call-for-state-police/

We can communicate with out harsh words.

3 Likes

Re: Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule by whirlwind7(m): 3:59pm On Sep 15, 2019
efighter:

Which Senator Ikeremadu? You people are just blind tribalists. When did Ikeremadu mention state police? Was it after his ass was whipped in Germany? Tinubu fought Obasanjo for State Police in 2002/2003. Osinbajo who was Lagos Attorney General dragged FG and Obasanjo to Court over State Police and Resource Control. Where was Ikeremadu then?

It is Ekweremadu.

Hope you saw the two links spyder880 posted above to puncture your argument?
As your moniker suggested, you seem to be an online fighter, abi na troublemaker.
Abeg just fight with sense. grin

1 Like

Re: Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule by Nigeria2040: 5:08pm On Sep 15, 2019
These people no dey talk sense especially Fulani, they only say what they think will benefit them but not for the generality of nigerians. If u engage an an average northerner or a fulani man in an intellectual debate or argument especially about Buhari or their tribe he will only insult you but will not engage in a meaningful discussion and argument.
Re: Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule by vanunu: 5:19pm On Sep 15, 2019
Nigeria2040:
These people no dey talk sense especially Fulani, they only say what they think will benefit them but not for the generality of nigerians. If u engage an an average northerner or a fulani man in an intellectual debate or argument especially about Buhari or their tribe he will only insult you but will not engage in a meaningful discussion and argument.

Don't mind them, they want to continue the useless unitary system, where order will always come from the centre, without knowing that they are setting up a time bomb. If you check out African countries, such as Cameroon, Sudan, Central African Republic, they all practice unitary system of government, and all of them have internal conflict.
Re: Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule by Blue3k(m): 5:22pm On Sep 15, 2019
“Today, in every community, you will have a traditional ruler, community leaders, stakeholders and more. These people are really responsible for the protection of that community, not necessarily the police.”

Funny I agree with him for a different reason. The police can only do so much. What's the police response time in any emergency currently. I could handle the issue personally with my own guns hypothetically speaking. They get shot in the face and they'll learm not to mess around.

amaniro:

Nigeria is not mature enough for state policing. Besides, some state I bet would not be able to cater for the police men.

Lol when is this child Nigeria going to grow up, is the nation run by children? Its been almost 60 years and you're still talling about not being mature. Who cares about the ststes that are incompetent or broke. That's their problem. The states can will do it.
Re: Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule by amaniro: 5:33pm On Sep 15, 2019
Blue3k:

Funny I agree with him for a different reason. The police can only do so much. What's the police response time in any emergency currently. I could handle the issue personally with my own guns hypothetically speaking. They get shot in the face and they'll learm not to mess around.

Lol when is this child Nigeria going to grow up, is the nation run by children? Its been almost 60 years and you're still talling about not being mature. Who cares about the ststes that are incompetent or broke. That's their problem. The states can will do it.

That's appealing to hear. Federal policing is best for Nigeria according to willinks research.
Re: Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule by Blue3k(m): 6:12pm On Sep 15, 2019
amaniro:

That's appealing to hear. Federal policing is best for Nigeria according to willinks research.

I diagree considering what a poor job they done. They wouldnt need military supporting them. Decentralization would work better from what I've researched.

1 Like

Re: Why State Police Is Not Feasible – Governor Sule by amaniro: 6:14pm On Sep 15, 2019
Blue3k:

I diagree considering what a poor job they done. They wouldnt need military supporting them. Decentralization would work better from what I've researched.

I don't still agree with decentralisation. Maybe, state policing should be in place in some 10-20 years to come, not now.

(1) (Reply)

What U Should Know About Ipob In UN Summit Today / FG Spent 1.5trn So Far On Power Sector – Vice President Osibanjo / Asari Talks...pointed At Yoruba Bravery As Model, Ibo To Shake Off Cowardice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.