Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,456 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria (19535 Views)

A Layman Explanation Of The Supreme Court Judgment In Imo / INEC: Situation Room demands explanation for 1m Cancelled Votes / Police cancel invitation to Saraki; demand written explanation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Clean2016: 7:47am On Dec 19, 2019
Good write up but note that the standard approve across the country, Nigeria is meters. and SQ.MTR

The feet measurement is now archaic in Nigeria but you know here, we don't change name for example even when there's nothing like NEPA again we still call the power holdings by that name.

1 Like

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by nonoski: 7:50am On Dec 19, 2019
dotun4luv:
Oga OP, the standard size is 60 x 120 and not 50 x 100.
In Port Harcourt it's 50ft x 100ft
In Calabar its 60ft x 120ft

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Conceptman: 7:54am On Dec 19, 2019
Buying lands in Nigeria especially Ogun state and Lagos State, u need to be smart and get details about the land u intend buying.
https://www.nairaland.com/4814062/aluminium-windows-building-casement-casement/7
Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by salvo583: 7:56am On Dec 19, 2019
Lagos is 60*120ft while in Oyo State it's 50*100ft

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by darepoju(m): 7:57am On Dec 19, 2019
Nice job op..

The land size this is a simple case..

In Nigeria, we generally have three categories of plot sizes, this is based on location or setting of the area where the property is sited.

For instance what is categories as a plot of land in a GRA won't be same size as another plot of land in a different location.

You get that?

So here they are..
We have the low density. Medium density and high density plot size.

The density here defines how populated the area is. Eg. A GRA would be a low density, since houses there won't be scattered all over or too clustered.

I'm an architect so I'll define my linear measurements in meters and area measurements in meter square.

Low density - 30 x 30m (100 x 100ft) = 900msq (1hecter)
Medium density- 18 x 30m (60 x120ft) 650msq.
High density - 15 x 30m (50 x 100ft) 450msq.

There's actually alot to land size topic..
Maybe I'd do a thread on this for a broader discourse..

Meanwhile.. We can design you a sweet home. Just give us a beep. 08 16 9323 631

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Izi4real(m): 8:12am On Dec 19, 2019
dotun4luv:
In Edo they use 50 by 100

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Danny4God(m): 8:19am On Dec 19, 2019
darepoju:
Nice job op..

The land size this is a simple case..

In Nigeria, we generally have three categories of plot sizes, this is based on location or setting of the area where the property is sited.

For instance what is categories as a plot of land in a GRA won't be same size as another plot of land in a different location.

You get that?

So here they are..
We have the low density. Medium density and high density plot size.

The density here defines how populated the area is. Eg. A GRA would be a low density, since houses there won't be scattered all over or too clustered.

I'm an architect so I'll define my linear measurements in meters and area measurements in meter square.

Low density - 30 x 30m (100 x 100ft) = 900msq (1hecter)
Medium density- 18 x 30m (60 x120ft) 650msq.
High density - 15 x 30m (50 x 100ft) 450msq.

There's actually alot to land size topic..
Maybe I'd do a thread on this for a broader discourse..

Meanwhile.. We can design you a sweet home. Just give us a beep. 08 16 9323 631
pls what can I build on a 50ft x 50ft half plot of land.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by SEGLIZ: 8:48am On Dec 19, 2019
insightful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Ayobami7(m): 9:03am On Dec 19, 2019
noted

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Investnownow: 9:31am On Dec 19, 2019
M I N T T O W N

The best time to buy land is when it is less attractive, when it becomes attractive, it becomes very expensive.

Banana Island, a little over 2 decades ago used to be a "banana plantation", just imagine banana plantation. Those that were visionary enough at the time bought almost for free, today, their land is valued at hundreds of millions and billions of naira.

Be that visionary landowner today!

Own an acre(6plots) of land in MINT TOWN, Alabata, Ibadan for only N1.5M

Do you know that the Lagos-Ibadan Train Terminal and Ibadan Inland Dry Port are both in Alabata? Think about this place in few years from now. It is currently the best real estate investment location in Ibadan

Call/WhatsApp 09064251486 today to help you secure a future there.

Let's talk now now 09064251486.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by ProfGday(m): 10:02am On Dec 19, 2019
CotenantNIG:
LAND SIZE FOR REAL ESTATE

One of the most interesting facts about REAL ESTATE in Nigeria is Land Size.

People normally are confused with the range of Land Size in Nigeria. Many don't understand what a 300Sqm Land is and what a 600Sqm Land is. That can be confusing right? Also, many are confused about what can be constructed on particular land size. That is one of the realities of the real estate industry.

Also, people tend to misunderstand the unit of measurement for land size. Many believe it to be measured in feet, others in meters. To be honest, I don't think there should be any confusion when it comes to real estate. However, let's understand what a plot of land is in Nigeria.

A plot of land is the term for a piece of Land. Though an arbitrary term, it is represented in breadth and a length which is the appropriate way to measure the size of a land Besides, a piece of land can be measured both in feet and also in meters.

The funniest thing is that you can also measure land in centimeters, but let's not go there for now. So from research, the standard plot size is 50 by 100 feet. However, when land is offered for sale it is usually offered in square meters. Now someone is confused, right?Not to worry.

When an advert for a land hits your view and the sizes are written this way 600sqm 450sqm 300sqm, this is what to do.

First of all:

1 Determine your most preferred unit of measurements. This helps you to choose whether you need to convert or not

2 Personally, my most preferred unit of measurement is in sqm. This is because it is easy for me to understand and I think for anybody also. Note that the measurement of land is simply determined by calculating the area. Which gives you an answer in square feet that's if you are using feet as a unit of measurement or square meter if you are using the meter

3 Now a standard plot is measured in Nigeria 50 by 100 feet This 50 is in width and 100 in length. Now, this size is enough to accommodate a standard four-bedroom duplex and a small compound. However, in Lagos, a standard plot is 60 by 120 feet. So since I prefer my measurement in a square meter, then let's convert.

4 You convert that's if you prefer your measurement in a square meter. Now the conversion rate varies, some say its 3.14 but from the thorough research we did, I believe the conversion rate is 3.28. To be on a safer side let's choose a conversion range of 3.14 to 3.28. This is because when it comes to land, there is an allowance for error in measurements. But we are going to be using 3.28 for this conversion. So when converting from feet to meters, divide the value of feet by 3.28 and do the vice versa when converting from meters to feet.5.

Let's convert. For a standard plot of 50 by 100 feet, when you divide the values by 3.28, you will get 15 by 30 meters. 6. Calculate the area in square meters. 15 multiplied by 30 will give you 450Sqm. Now, this size is practically enough for building a duplex and you will still have a garage and a small compound for four cars. This still depends on how you want to build your house. Because the use of size is relative and It depends on how well you can make use of available space. Let's look at 60 by 120 ft and convert by dividing the values by 3.28. This will give us 18 by 36 meters.Find the area, this will be 648Sqm.

Now, this is the plot size but note that you can't build on an entire plot size which is why when real estate companies sell lands in 600sqm, they are reserving about 48sqm from your plot and other subscribers which definitely will be used for the road networks. However sometimes, like I said when it comes to measuring land, there is an allowance for error, so sometimes the 48sqm removed is just an allowance for error.

What is the point of all this calculation?

This will enable you to understand the number of spaces on a land size available for one to build a comfortable structure. So it is not just about getting the correct value of Land size, you just need to be within a range, so that whether you approximate or not, your value will still be within the range perfect for your choice of structure.In conclusion, we have done a little example of land size and how you can use available space for a perfect structure. For this example, we are going to be using the smallest standard land size which is half a plot 300sqm.

We have decided to use the least to enable everyone to understand why even the least can do much. The picture below shows approximately a 326 Sqm piece of Land which can also be referred to as half a plot in Nigeria's land size metric. The house size is about 200 Sqm. The Ground floor has two bedrooms, one kitchen, and a general toilet and of course a small living room.

One of the bedrooms on the ground floor also has a toilet attached to it.On the second floor which is technically the first floor, we have three bedrooms and also a living room. That's quite much, so the whole structure can be tailored to a three-bedroom duplex with one room on the ground floor and two bedrooms on the first floor.And we also a master living room on the first floor.The land also has enough space therefore for a garage to house two cars(One Saloon and a Jeep) and a power bike. The land is then surrounded by beautiful gardens revealing the serenity of a beautiful home. So who says 300 Sqm is not a full plot? Why not invest in a landed property today.

What a very educative piece. Well done op

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by chigoizie7(m): 10:22am On Dec 19, 2019
Thank you so much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by PsiData: 10:31am On Dec 19, 2019
Nice topic and well explained.

We are available for your ELVS solutions call on us today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by djoe21(m): 10:33am On Dec 19, 2019
Op you have done a good job but next if you want to approximate in your calculations, you need to say so. I don't see how you got 450sqm from (50/3.28)(100/3.28). Same thing when you calculated for 60 by 120ft. This is land we are talking about where every centimeter matters.

Once again, you did well overall.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Bakrabas: 10:55am On Dec 19, 2019
djoe21:
Op you have done a good job but next if you want to approximate in your calculations, you need to say so. I don't see how you got 450sqm from (50/3.28)(100/3.28). Same thing when you calculated for 60 by 120ft. This is land we are talking about where every centimeter matters.

Once again, you did well overall.

Arsenal Jersey with customize, price?
Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Okeoladotun(m): 11:05am On Dec 19, 2019
U got it all wrong...
Standard plot Is 60*120

1 Like

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by djoe21(m): 11:08am On Dec 19, 2019
Bakrabas:

Arsenal Jersey with customize, price?

Kindly call or chat me on whatsapp with this number 08035009448.
Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by aadoiza: 11:10am On Dec 19, 2019
Why 50 by 100, and not 100 by 50?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Holluwhakemmy(f): 1:00pm On Dec 19, 2019
Thanks, more of Land Valuation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Weirdgee: 2:40pm On Dec 19, 2019
CotenantNIG:

People normally are confused with the range of Land Size in Nigeria. Many don't understand what a 300Sqm Land is and what a 600Sqm Land is. That can be confusing right? Also, many are confused about what can be constructed on particular land size. That is one of the realities of the real estate industry.

Also, people tend to misunderstand the unit of measurement for land size. Many believe it to be measured in feet, others in meters. To be honest, I don't think there should be any confusion when it comes to real estate. However, let's understand what a plot of land is in Nigeria.

A plot of land is the term for a piece of Land. Though an arbitrary term, it is represented in breadth and a length which is the appropriate way to measure the size of a land Besides, a piece of land can be measured both in feet and also in meters.

The funniest thing is that you can also measure land in centimeters, but let's not go there for now. So from research, the standard plot size is 50 by 100 feet. However, when land is offered for sale it is usually offered in square meters. Now someone is confused, right?Not to worry.

When an advert for a land hits your view and the sizes are written this way 600sqm 450sqm 300sqm, this is what to do.

First of all:

1 Determine your most preferred unit of measurements. This helps you to choose whether you need to convert or not

2 Personally, my most preferred unit of measurement is in sqm. This is because it is easy for me to understand and I think for anybody also. Note that the measurement of land is simply determined by calculating the area. Which gives you an answer in square feet that's if you are using feet as a unit of measurement or square meter if you are using the meter

3 Now a standard plot is measured in Nigeria 50 by 100 feet This 50 is in width and 100 in length. Now, this size is enough to accommodate a standard four-bedroom duplex and a small compound. However, in Lagos, a standard plot is 60 by 120 feet. So since I prefer my measurement in a square meter, then let's convert.

4 You convert that's if you prefer your measurement in a square meter. Now the conversion rate varies, some say its 3.14 but from the thorough research we did, I believe the conversion rate is 3.28. To be on a safer side let's choose a conversion range of 3.14 to 3.28. This is because when it comes to land, there is an allowance for error in measurements. But we are going to be using 3.28 for this conversion. So when converting from feet to meters, divide the value of feet by 3.28 and do the vice versa when converting from meters to feet.5.

Let's convert. For a standard plot of 50 by 100 feet, when you divide the values by 3.28, you will get 15 by 30 meters. 6. Calculate the area in square meters. 15 multiplied by 30 will give you 450Sqm. Now, this size is practically enough for building a duplex and you will still have a garage and a small compound for four cars. This still depends on how you want to build your house. Because the use of size is relative and It depends on how well you can make use of available space. Let's look at 60 by 120 ft and convert by dividing the values by 3.28. This will give us 18 by 36 meters.Find the area, this will be 648Sqm.

Now, this is the plot size but note that you can't build on an entire plot size which is why when real estate companies sell lands in 600sqm, they are reserving about 48sqm from your plot and other subscribers which definitely will be used for the road networks. However sometimes, like I said when it comes to measuring land, there is an allowance for error, so sometimes the 48sqm removed is just an allowance for error.

This will enable you to understand the number of spaces on a land size available for one to build a comfortable structure. So it is not just about getting the correct value of Land size, you just need to be within a range, so that whether you approximate or not, your value will still be within the range perfect for your choice of structure.In conclusion, we have done a little example of land size and how you can use available space for a perfect structure. For this example, we are going to be using the smallest standard land size which is half a plot 300sqm.

We have decided to use the least to enable everyone to understand why even the least can do much. The picture below shows approximately a 326 Sqm piece of Land which can also be referred to as half a plot in Nigeria's land size metric. The house size is about 200 Sqm. The Ground floor has two bedrooms, one kitchen, and a general toilet and of course a small living room.

One of the bedrooms on the ground floor also has a toilet attached to it.On the second floor which is technically the first floor, we have three bedrooms and also a living room. That's quite much, so the whole structure can be tailored to a three-bedroom duplex with one room on the ground floor and two bedrooms on the first floor.And we also a master living room on the first floor.The land also has enough space therefore for a garage to house two cars(One Saloon and a Jeep) and a power bike. The land is then surrounded by beautiful gardens revealing the serenity of a beautiful home. So who says 300 Sqm is not a full plot? Why not invest in a landed property today.
Thanks sir I very educative.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by dotun4luv(m): 2:44pm On Dec 19, 2019
ismail64:
in Abuja, they use 50 by 100.

Abuja is fractional. And it cannot be used as a benchmark.

1 Like

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by CreekCommando: 3:02pm On Dec 19, 2019
realstars:
Good one there.
House is one of the best thing to have, presently lands are chip but house materials is double expenses, yet many are without roof to cool their head.
Land is chip �(cheap) in the North and SW because they live in huts. But a plot of land (100x50ft) in the SE or SS is from 3million naira up, although lesser in rural or semi-urban areas of the two regions. If you say because they have small space, you're wrong because you could see a bush or forest of about 20sqkm yet the family who owns it will promise to give roads but at 3million naira or so per plot. If you leave, they wouldn't call you back because after 2 days, that land agent who took you there, will inform you that one Malaysia or China or Turkey based guy bought 10 plots. What is causing this huge difference in land price between SE/SS and the rest of the country?

1 Like

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 19, 2019
Good information. Thanks.
CotenantNIG:

First of all:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Legendguru: 4:42pm On Dec 19, 2019
Oh
Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by darepoju(m): 4:52pm On Dec 19, 2019
Danny4God:
pls what can I build on a 50ft x 50ft half plot of land.

Let's chat pls. 0816 93 23631
Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Mires: 5:13pm On Dec 19, 2019
CotenantNIG:
Female Flatmate Needed. Location- Magodo Isheri (Phase 1)

https://cotenant.ng/listing/magodo/female-flatmate-needed-location-magodo-isheri-phase-1/

Shared Apartment Flat Apartment for rent in Lagos
https://cotenant.ng/shared-apartment-flat-apartment-for-rent-in-lagos/

Thanks for the exposition. Indeed, you are a good teacher. I have now known better. I used your analysis and it was awesome to what I already have on ground.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by Waladade4luv(m): 6:18pm On Dec 19, 2019
Must all lands be rectangular, if not what are other land shapes and its pros and cons, thank you
Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by realstars: 9:08pm On Dec 19, 2019
CreekCommando:

Land is chip �(cheap) in the North and SW because they live in huts. But a plot of land (100x50ft) in the SE or SS is from 3million naira up, although lesser in rural or semi-urban areas of the two regions. If you say because they have small space, you're wrong because you could see a bush or forest of about 20sqkm yet the family who owns it will promise to give roads but at 3million naira or so per plot. If you leave, they wouldn't call you back because after 2 days, that land agent who took you there, will inform you that one Malaysia or China or Turkey based guy bought 10 plots. What is causing this huge difference in land price between SE/SS and the rest of the country?
Its okay, if only we find peace and are safe in our duelling place
Re: Explanation Of Land Sizes In Nigeria by alphaNomega: 6:22am On Dec 20, 2019
dotun4luv:

Please tell him

It is the generational greed of Nigerians that has made it 50 by hundred, if this trend continues - in a few decades- we would be using 40 by 80 feet for one plot.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Makinde Withdrawal Of Support From PDP A Win For Tinubu? / Atiku Plans To Assassinate Wike – Achimugu Makes Fresh Allegation (Video) / Govs Forum leadership: Abdulrazaq Emerge Chairman, Makinde (Vice Chairman)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.