Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,214 members, 7,953,793 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:29 AM

Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? (1584 Views)

More Photos From Obasanjo's Meeting With Wike, Peter Obi, Makinde And Others / Seyi Makinde And His Legal Team Smile After Supreme Court Upheld His Election / Amosun And Dapo Abiodun Campaigned For Gbenga Daniel In 2002 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by mrintellectual(m): 7:42am On Sep 15, 2019
Recently, someone tried to compare H E Dapo Abiodun, the Governor of Ogun state with, H E Engr. Seyi Makinde, the Governor of Oyo state, in the policies regarding Education. I think this is unnecessary. However for the purpose of the intellectual engagement, let's do so.

If you look at the first picture below, you will see a circular showing how much students in schools in Ogun state should pay, N3700. Many will say, how much is that? The truth is that it is so much, if we still want to insist that education till the secondary school level should still be compulsory. So many Nigerians, and Ogun state indegenes and dwellers are poor.

Another person said, is a case of unfulfilled promise, showing the Pact Gov Dapo Abiodun made with teachers. The pact is with "teachers" not primary and secondary school students. So, don't be disappointed.

Secondly, there is no tuition included. Technically you can still call it "free education". The problem I have with this type of free education is that, it is no more compulsory to go to school.

Thirdly, you cannot compare "omo Tinubu", with Seyi Makinde who is a known lover of the masses before assuming office. I have known Asiwaju's people to always believe that all people should pay heavily for education. Mr Fashola is a case study. That year when he was invited to speak at the popular Trenchard Hall. He said that we are paying so little for education, suggesting education should be an expensive commodity. The case of Dapo Abiodun is even manageable.

Ask how much is being paid in state schools, The Technical University established by Abiola Ajimobi, OOU of Ogun state, UNIOSUN of Osun state, etc. If not for the protest of students of LASU, school fees there would have been on the high side.

With all these, it will be good if Gov. Dapo Abiodun can work to reduce the number of poor people in the state, by
1. Providing Government sponsored financial or business training to Ogun dwellers.

2. Providing massive vocational training and empowerment with start up capital, like Patrick Okowa is doing. He can establish vocational training villages. This will be less money consuming like building overhead bridges. He should just focus on building the bridge between the poor and the rich.

When he lifts more people out of poverty, then more people can afford to pay N37000, instead of N3700.

3. He should ensure that there is strict monitoring of schools in the state. This should be a weekly exercise of the inspectors. And they should submit the report to the governor's table, at least every month.

Education should be well sponsored by the government, and Oyo state government is faring better in this regards. Ogun state's Dapo Abiodun, should copy the giant strides of Seyi Makinde. I must not close this without commending the empowerment scheme, the Ogun State Job Portal, recently launched.

Both South West Governors should both cooperate to uplift the region. I will miss the past governor of Lagos State, Governor Ambode, he has imparted many lives, including mine.

Back to Ogun state, "Ise ti ya o, Omo Ogun, Ise ya".

https://www.ourhouseoftalk.com/2019/09/why-dapo-abiodun-should-learn-from-seyi.html

Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by Goalnaldo(m): 7:44am On Sep 15, 2019
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by helinues: 7:49am On Sep 15, 2019
Makinde in my opinions even though I am from Ogun. Abiodun have a lot infront of him.. Amosun stubbornness have not made him settle down properly.

With the proximity of Ogun to Lagos state, Abiodun can only try.. Amosun left so many abandoned projects scattered through out the state.

But @ op, you already reached your conclusion

1 Like

Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by mrintellectual(m): 7:58am On Sep 15, 2019
helinues:
Makinde in my opinions even though I am from Ogun. Abiodun have a lot infront of him.. Amosun stubbornness have not made him settle down properly.

With the proximity of Ogun to Lagos state, Abiodun can only try.. Amosun left so many abandoned projects scattered through out the state.

Just my opinions. I pray Dapo Abiodun settles down quickly to move Ogun state forward. Education in Ogun state is currently a far cry from the expected.
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by afroniger: 8:00am On Sep 15, 2019
Let each state do what works for it. Instead of harping on 'free' education, what we should be concerned about is QUALITY education delivery, be it free or not. Ogun has the largest monthly wage bill in the country (even larger than Lagos'). Ogun monthly wage bill is over N9-billion naira monthly! Lagos' own is close to N7-biliion. Oyo's is just a little over N5-billion per month which its N2-billion average monthly IGR cannot even cover.

Ogun monthly IGR is averaging around N7-biliion per month which isn't enough to cover it's 9-billion wage bill, yet you are expecting 'free' education when even teachers can barely get paid monthly.

Unless IGR is dramatically improved, there's no way state governors will not borrow to pay salaries (like Makinde did recently when he borrowed N10-billion). Unless we tell ourselves the truth and trim some of the overbloated civil service, we will not make headway, particularly in the SW. Money to subsidize 'free education' has to come from somewhere.

3 Likes

Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by helinues: 8:01am On Sep 15, 2019
mrintellectual:

Just my opinions. I pray Dapo Abiodun settles down quickly to move Ogun state forward. Education in Ogun state is currently a far cry from the expected.

Reorientation of ogun people should come first before embarking on education.. My people are too local.. That's just the facts.

With the proximity of Ogun to Lagos, with so many industries in the state, Amosun and Daniel should be thoroughly beating
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by mrintellectual(m): 8:06am On Sep 15, 2019
afroniger:
Let each state do what works for it. Instead of harping on 'free' education, what we should be concerned about is QUALITY education delivery, be it free or not. Ogun has the largest monthly wage bill in the country (even larger than Lagos'). Ogun monthly wage bill is over N9-billion naira monthly! Lagos' own is close to N7-biliion. Oyo's is just a little over N5-billion per month which its N2-million average monthly IGR cannot even cover.

Ogun monthly IGR is averaging around N7-biliion per month which isn't enough to cover it's 9-billion wage bill, yet you are expecting 'free' education when even teachers can barely get paid monthly.

Unless IGR is dramatically improved, there's no way state governors will not borrow to pay salaries (like Makinde did recently when he borrowed N10-billion). Unless we tell ourselves the truth and trim some of the overbloated civil service, we will not make headway, particularly in the SW. Money to subsidize 'free education' has to come from somewhere.

Get more people out of poverty, and the same people who couldn't pay N3700 will gladly pay N37000, or even N370, 000.

That's my point, once people are still poor, and the tool to lift them out of poverty, which is education is not given to them, the cycle of poverty will continue.

See above my suggestions to Dapo Abiodun on how to reduce the number of poor people in the state.

It's every parents pride to send their children and wards to school, but education cannot be compulsory, if a fee is attached to it, in the public schools.
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by Baawaa(m): 8:10am On Sep 15, 2019
Dapo is surrounded by Agbero and thieves, Makinde is more mature and responsible than Dapo Abiodun

1 Like

Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by helinues: 8:11am On Sep 15, 2019
afroniger:
Let each state do what works for it. Instead of harping on 'free' education, what we should be concerned about is QUALITY education delivery, be it free or not. Ogun has the largest monthly wage bill in the country (even larger than Lagos'). Ogun monthly wage bill is over N9-billion naira monthly! Lagos' own is close to N7-biliion. Oyo's is just a little over N5-billion per month which its N2-billion average monthly IGR cannot even cover.

Must Ogun be waiting for IGR to develop the state? Can't we diversified? Agriculture, housing, Technology, Research even in sports self.

Ogun state have produced the best Radio presenters yearly upon how disorganised the state is..

We have the potentials only if Abiodun can think out of the box

2 Likes

Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by helinues: 8:11am On Sep 15, 2019
Baawaa:
Dapo is surrounded by Agbero and thieves, Makinde is more mature and responsible than Dapo Abiodun

Awon eyan Amosun gboriwole... grin grin
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by afroniger: 8:33am On Sep 15, 2019
mrintellectual:

Get more people out of poverty, and the same people who couldn't pay N3700 will gladly pay N37000, or even N370, 000.

That's my point, once people are still poor, and the tool to lift them out of poverty, which is education is not given to them, the cycle of poverty will continue.

See above my suggestions to Dapo Abiodun on how to reduce the number of poor people in the state.

It's every parents pride to send their children and wards to school, but education cannot be compulsory, if a fee is attached to it, in the public schools.

You premised your original comment on comparing Seyi Makinde's being supposedly more 'masses friendly' because in your opinion Seyi is giving his state 'free' education (which he has yet to tell us how he intends to fund and make sustainable because he has already borrowed N10-billion to cover shortfalls). Populism (which some like you mistake for being 'masses-friendly') makes leaders and their blind followers shy away from the real problems for the sake of short term gains. That was why I gave you facts about Ogun, Oyo and Lagos wage bill vis-a-vis their IGR. If you really meant well rather than turn this into a Oyo vs. Ogun thing, you could have went straight ahead to give your own suggestion on how you think Abiodun can improve the education system because frankly as it stands Seyi Makinde has not even done anything sustainable worth emulating for your comparison.

Free education depends on government subsidy, and only a government that can balance it is wage-bill vs. IGR/Federal allocation books (and still have leftover money) can toy with sustainable free education subsidy idea (which neither Ogun nor Oyo are qualified to do based on the analysis I gave earlier, and even if we are to compare sef Ogun has greater capacity to scale its economy than Oyo no thanks to its Lagos proximity).

The debt burdens from previous administrations that governed both Oyo and Ogun have made it so that federal allocations to both states will continue to dwindle, therefore both state governments should first of all as a matter for priority shore up their IGR to the point where they can cover their wage bills and still have leftover for infrastructure and other commitments without waiting for federal allocation, only then can they start thinking of subsidizing anything.

4 Likes

Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by afroniger: 8:41am On Sep 15, 2019
helinues:

Must Ogun be waiting for IGR to develop the state? Can't we diversified? Agriculture, housing, Technology, Research even in sports self.

Ogun state have produced the best Radio presenters yearly upon how disorganised the state is..

This is a very unintelligent submission, I am sorry to say. You need investors to diversify the economy simply because government's resources (money) are finite (has limits/it will never be enough). It is investors that will set up mechanised commercial farming with their own money which will in turn create jobs that would employ the teeming youths because government cannot employ everybody (private sector is supposed to be the largest employer of labour). It is from the revenues of the business and their workers salaries that government gets its IGR (the highest component of states IGR comes taxes from companies' income and their workers/staff salaries, go and verify it), which means with more people working, the more money state government can bring in as IGR.

Same applies to other areas you mentioned. Government's job is to ensure that the environment is condusive enough for the investors to come in and use their money to create jobs.

When the environment is conducive investors can even take some of the burden of building infrastructure from government by providing such in some instances even.

3 Likes

Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by helinues: 8:47am On Sep 15, 2019
afroniger:

This is a very unintelligent submission, I am sorry to say. You need investors to diversify the economy simply because government's resources (money) is finite (it will never be enough). It is investors that will set up mechanised commercial farming with their own money which will in turn create jobs that would employ the teeming youths because government cannot employ everybody (private sector is supposed to be the largest employer of labour). It is from the revenues of the business and their workers salaries that government gets its IGR (the highest component ofsrates IGR comes taxes from companies' income and their staff salaries, go and verify it), which means with more people working, the more money state government can bring in as IGR.

Same applies to other areas you mentioned. Government's job is to ensure that the environment is conducive enough for the investors to come in and use their money to create jobs.

When the environment is conducive investors can even take some of the burden of building infrastructure from government by providing such in some instances even.

Firstly, you do not have to go into aggressive ways just because you wants to proof a point.

Secondly, is inviting the investors not form of diversification? Does that requires huge amount of money?
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by afroniger: 8:56am On Sep 15, 2019
helinues:

Firstly, you do not have to go into aggressive ways just because you wants to proof a point.

Secondly, is inviting the investors not form of diversification? Does that requires huge amount of money?

Apologies if my comment came across in an offensive tone. At the end of the day we are all after the same thing, which is the betterment of Ogun (and by extension Oyo). The truth of the matter is that governor has his work really cut out because he has debt to service, pay salaries of N9-billion which the state doesn't have by the end of every month (after you remove N7-billion IGR debt still full ground yet he still has to somehow find money (most likely by either borrowing or partnering with private sector) to execute infrastructure. So at the end of th day, even though Ogun IGR is second to Lagos in SW, it still can't meet its obligations because it's wage-bill and other gbeses is more than its IGR.

2 Likes

Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by helinues: 9:01am On Sep 15, 2019
afroniger:

Apologies if my comment came across in an offensive tone. At the end of the day we are all after the same thing, what Ch so the betterment of Oh n (and by extension Oyo). The truth of the matter is that governor has his work really cut out because he has debt to service, pay salaries of N9-billion which the state doesn't have by the end of every month (after you remove N7-billion IGR debt still full ground yet he still has to somehow find money (most likely by either borrowing or partnering with private sector) to execute infrastructure. So at the end of th day, even though Ogun IGR is second to Lagos in SW, it still can't meet its obligations because it's wage-bill and other gbeses is more than its IGR.

We dey together brodali

Dapo needs young talented and creative people to develop Ogun state not with all this politicians that surrounds him.

1 Like

Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by prince2pac(m): 9:03am On Sep 15, 2019
g
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by Iamgrey5(m): 9:37am On Sep 15, 2019
I promise to reply you three years from now.
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 15, 2019
Seyi Makinde is good to go....he has capabilities..

And after Making the next is Akeredolu he is also doing wonderfully well in Ondo state.

The rest are hogwash.
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by deboysben(m): 10:23am On Sep 15, 2019
helinues:

afonja
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by helinues: 10:30am On Sep 15, 2019
deboysben:
afonja

Did you miss road or does this thread looks like Igbos thread.

Respect yourself
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by deboysben(m): 10:37am On Sep 15, 2019
helinues:

Did you miss road or does this thread looks like Igbos thread.

Respect yourself
na their way

A-f-o-n-j-a
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by helinues: 10:57am On Sep 15, 2019
deboysben:
na their way

A-f-o-n-j-a

May be you guys should learn from this healthy conversations between 2 states from SW.

We disagree to agree.. Not like a region where some of their own people are referred to as Wawa and Osu.

2 Likes

Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by tollyboy5(m): 11:14am On Sep 15, 2019
afroniger:

Apologies if my comment came across in an offensive tone. At the end of the day we are all after the same thing, which is the betterment of Ogun (and by extension Oyo). The truth of the matter is that governor has his work really cut out because he has debt to service, pay salaries of N9-billion which the state doesn't have by the end of every month (after you remove N7-billion IGR debt still full ground yet he still has to somehow find money (most likely by either borrowing or partnering with private sector) to execute infrastructure. So at the end of th day, even though Ogun IGR is second to Lagos in SW, it still can't meet its obligations because it's wage-bill and other gbeses is more than its IGR.
so you guys can create a thread about your state and still your two so-called son and senators came all the way to lagos to deprive us of our own political post. one yoruba propaganda kee all of una there including tinubu. undecided
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by afroniger: 11:23am On Sep 15, 2019
tollyboy5:

so you guys can create a thread about your state and still your two so-called son and senators came all the way to lagos to deprive us of our own political post. one yoruba propaganda kee all of una there including tinubu. undecided

Will you stfu if you have nothing tangible to contribute instead spreading saliva all over this thread. FYI, I am neither from Ogun nor Oyo, but I have properties and businesses in both states (factories that employs labour in both), therefore I am entitled to be concerned about what happens there. Carry your partisan bile comot if you have nothing sensible to say.
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by CoolOg: 12:36pm On Sep 15, 2019
Ogun will be great, it's just a matter of time for the Governor to be on track. OYO is also doing fine and will be great too. They are both in capable hands but Ogun has too many powers brokers who the Governor must satisfy and OYO state too has so many party that came together before they could win. I think Governor Makinde is not having issues with those parties but Ogun governor is still trying to manage this people.

1 Like

Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by mrintellectual(m): 6:35am On Sep 21, 2019
Update:

DAPO ABIODUN suspends the N3700 school fees in Ogun state schools.
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by haffaze777(m): 7:53am On Sep 21, 2019
mrintellectual:

That clown will need 7years to settle down grin
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by Tomide007: 8:06am On Sep 21, 2019
MelesZenawi:
Seyi Makinde is good to go....he has capabilities..

And after Making the next is Akeredolu he is also doing wonderfully well in Ondo state.

The rest are hogwash.
Lol...akeredolu.....
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by Tomide007: 8:11am On Sep 21, 2019
helinues:

Apart from lagos in Nigeria, Ogun state did very well in IGR generation.... U guys also did well in projects hopefully Dapo abiodun can finish d projects...IGR generation is not a sudden move. In the last 8 yrs ur IGR grew the Highest in the country. I think you guys just need Better implementation.
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by Tomide007: 8:17am On Sep 21, 2019
I've seen over the years that it is not about how a government starts , but how he finishes .....Oyo once had a governor that paid 13th month salary, increased pensions by 250% and did the highest amount of road construction the state has ever seen yet he performed poorly in the second term....even amosun was lit with road construction, the state had the highest IGR growth any state has ever seen yet himself Bleep up when he was about leaving office.
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 21, 2019
Tomide007:
Lol...akeredolu.....
Yes Akeredolu, he is doing wonderfully well.
Re: Seyi Makinde And Dapo Abiodun: Who Is More Masses-friendly? by Tomide007: 9:12am On Sep 21, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Yes Akeredolu, he is doing wonderfully well.
As in the governor of my state oooo....wonderfully well, anyways its all about perception sha

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mother Of All Hold Ups: All Roads Out Of Calabar Blocked. / Bukola Saraki Seen At Davido Brother Wedding Yesterday In Dubai. VIDEO / Buhari’s Chinese Medical Experts: Are Nigerians Guinea Pigs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.