Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,905 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

Racism: Three Major Types You Should Know. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Racism: Three Major Types You Should Know. (337 Views)

One Of The Three Major Languages In Nigeria Will Go To Extinction Soon - Omokri / Three Major Shifts In The Presidential Campaign By Farooq A. Kperogi / Kwara Rehabilitates Three Major Water Works (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Racism: Three Major Types You Should Know. by Nobody: 12:03am On Sep 16, 2019

“I’m not racist!”

No one wants to be called racist. However, few people truly understand what “RACISM” means. Most believe that racism is one thing and one thing only.

But in reality, racism is a complex system. Therefore, it is better to think of racism as an umbrella term that describes many types of biased behaviors and systems.

Below, we’ll define and discuss a few types of racism that culturally-competent leaders should know:

Individual Racism
Individual racism, also called personal racism, is the type of racism that most people think of when they think of “racism.” Individual racism occurs when a person’s beliefs, attitudes, and actions are based on biases, stereotypes, or prejudices against another race. A belief that whites are biologically superior to people of color is an example of individual racism.

Unconscious racism
Also known as Implicit Bias – can be a difficult concept to understand. Researchers at Harvard explain implicit bias as follows :

"......because our unconscious brains must work very quickly to make decisions, they look for shortcuts. Grouping people together based on their appearance is one such shortcut.

Generally, these mental shortcuts are not a problem. However, because most media platforms and institutions have consistently produced negative images of people of color, Americans have been exposed to harmful ideas about people of color for generations.

Over time, exposure to these images corrupts the unconscious brain so thoroughly that it becomes trained to connect people of color with negative traits.

So, if Joe’s wife, Jane, a white woman, reflexively becomes afraid when a man of color enters the elevator she is riding, she too has engaged in individual racism

Institutional Racism
Institutional racism refers to an institution making choices that intentionally single out or harm people of color. Jim Crow segregation laws are good examples of institutional racism. While explicit institutional racism is rarer today, it still exists.

Credits: DJ.com

#SaveOurSouls
#SeunOsewa
#NL Senior Mods

Dear SEUN OSEWA,
Dear Senior NL Mods,

I am writing this to bring ya attention to the issue of "posting of stupid & questionable contents on FP" by some immature & naive MODs. It could even be argued that a few are "deeply-tribalistic" in their choice of FP-contents. It's really pathetic, Seun.

I know it ain't my place to write this epistle but, NL is arguably among the top blogs in the whole of AFRICA; as such, its FP-contents suppose to showcase our "standards/principles/mindsets" as a nation to the outside world.

Any content to be posted on FP must be scrutinise by "wise & mature" Senior Mods. Nothing must be posted to FP which does not conduce to the promotion of VIRTUE.

I know you need the VIEWS & CLICKS to sustain this great platform, but I'm certain you'd agree with us, concern NLers, that most FP-contents aint worth it at all. Such contents stains and debase the minds of our younglings.

Promoting Immorality, Vainglory, Tribalism, Hate, Indecency etc for the "green" aint worth it at all. It costs us nothing to be decent human beings.

SaveOurSouls....Mr Seun & Senior Mods! I take Mother-Nature beg you. PLEASE DO SOMETHING!

We love NairaLand. I know you created this platform to bring solution, not add to our agonies/pains in this Nation.

Anticipating your quick & curative response, Seun.

NB: Fellow concern NLers, pls SHARE till it reaches the appropriate NL authorities. Thanks.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Racism: Three Major Types You Should Know. by falcon01: 12:06am On Sep 16, 2019
I'm not Racist, I hate everybody equally
Re: Racism: Three Major Types You Should Know. by helinues: 6:24am On Sep 16, 2019
I 'm not racist but I detest slowpoke people..
Re: Racism: Three Major Types You Should Know. by Captainrambo2: 7:20am On Sep 16, 2019
I'm not racist but fulani people should just get out of our space.

was watching nta yesterday night one northern man was appointed to head one u.n dept so they were celebrating. 99% the Nigerians present where northerners. person wey nor know nigeria go think say back Islamic nation.

I'm not racists but they should just Bleep off

(1) (Reply)

Sen. Kalu Lauds President Buhari Over Inauguration Of Economic Advisory Council / Sokoto State Governor, Rt Hon. Aminu Tambuwa Stated Why He Visited Rivers State / Nnamdi Kanu To Address IPOB In Tokyo (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.