Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,245 members, 7,836,165 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

Police Detain Punchman Over UNIZIK Lecturer’s Certificate Scandal - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Police Detain Punchman Over UNIZIK Lecturer’s Certificate Scandal (199 Views)

Leaked WASSCE Papers: Website Operator Reacts, Threatens Punchman / Monica Osagie, Lady In The OAU Sex For Mark Scandal (Pictured) / Kisuze Edward, Ugandan Lecturer Suspended Over Sex Scandal (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Police Detain Punchman Over UNIZIK Lecturer’s Certificate Scandal by ijustdey: 8:05am On Sep 17, 2019
Samson Folarin

Some policemen attached to the Anambra State Police Command have arrested PUNCH ’s correspondent in the state , Tony Okafor , over reports on the suspended senior lecturer of the Nnamdi Azikiwe University , Awka, Peter Ekemezie.

Our correspondent learnt that Okafor was manhandled by the police team before his detention for over six hours at the Awka Area Command.

The reporter said the police claimed to be acting on a petition by Ekemezie .

He said, “ Around 11 . 15 am, two plain -clothes policemen came to the Aroma junction , a meeting point for journalists in Awka, and said I was under arrest . When I enquired why , they said a lecturer at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University wrote a petition against me .

“ While the policemen were still explaining to me , the lecturer , Peter Ekemezie , surfaced and started shouting , ‘Arrest him, he is the purveyor of my travails ’ .

“ The policemen first took me to the ‘ B ’ Division and later transferred me to the Awka Area Command, where I was detained for six hours . Following the intervention of the state Commissioner of Police , John Abang, and the Police Public Relations Officer , Haruna Mohammed, I was taken on bail by a colleague .”

The police spokesperson , Mohammed , however, denied that Okafor was arrested , adding that he was only invited to make a statement based on Ekemezie ’s petition against him .

“ There was an allegation against him . We are investigating an allegation from the petitioner . The allegation is still under investigation . Ask the person and he will tell you the allegation , ” he said.

When our correspondent asked the spokesperson if the petitioner provided any evidence to back up the allegation , he said, “ That is what the police are investigating now . That is why I said it was an allegation . ”

The PUNCH had run a series of investigative reports on the lecturer , which culminated in his suspension after years of cover -up .

He was to be promoted from the position of a senior lecturer to a reader ( associate professor ) when our correspondent began reporting on the matter.

https://punchng.com/police-detain-punchman-over-unizik-lecturers-certificate-scandal/

lalasticlala
Re: Police Detain Punchman Over UNIZIK Lecturer’s Certificate Scandal by JasonScoolari: 8:08am On Sep 17, 2019
This goes to show that the recruitment into the Nigeria Police Force is all FRAUD.... They only end up recruiting vast majority of dumb "NURUDEENS"

If you ask the Spokesperson to differentiate between "Investigation and Allegation" he will fail woefully and he had the effrontery to detain a journalist for 6 hours over a silly petition.

3 Likes

Re: Police Detain Punchman Over UNIZIK Lecturer’s Certificate Scandal by Davash222(m): 8:12am On Sep 17, 2019
Nigerian Police and their quack system. Someone will wake up one morning and write a petition against a person, instead of Nigeria Police to invite the person for questioning as regards to the Petition written against him, they will first go for arrest. The arrest should come when the person refused to honour the invitation.

(1) (Reply)

School Fire Leaves At Least 23 Children Dead / What Is Hadoop And Why It Is Used? / Gistkaduna: Gov. El-rufai Puts Own Son In Public Primary School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.