Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Advise A Medical Aspirant! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advise A Medical Aspirant! (32872 Views)

Ejim Chinazom Judith Graduates As A Medical Doctor In A Wheelchair In Enugu / Is There A Course You Will Advise A Jambite Not To Study? / Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by temi2008: 1:41pm On Sep 18, 2019
mrvitalis:

First in my school then UNN it was very difficult to get medicine from secondary school
The advice i would give u is based on UNN alone don't know if its valid else where

1) take any coure u are offered ...study it for one year ( year one is a refresh of sec school ) ...us it to prepare for jamp ..your reading habit would increase

2) for UNN change your state of origin to south west or northern states because these state find it easy to enter UNN than igbo states ....if u are from zamfara 240 can get u medicine in UNN , if u are from Ogun 270 can get u

But if u are from Enugu ,Imo or anambra 320 cant even guarantee u medicine

So u can change ur state of origin when u get in u change it back

Falsification of state of origin?
Corruption in low places
This is ungodly

1 Like

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by mrvitalis(m): 1:42pm On Sep 18, 2019
Grupo:

OP, follow this advice.

That was what my room mate did while we were in UNN.

He was already in third year studying biochemistry but wanted to study medicine by all means.

So he applied for jamb, put Gombe as state of origin. He didn't even score up to 250 in the jamb and his name came out in the first list.
Thats y i laugh when people say igbos are tribalistic

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by mrvitalis(m): 1:42pm On Sep 18, 2019
temi2008:

Falsification of state of origin?
Corruption in low places
This is ungodly
Its called getting smart ...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by mgh2: 1:47pm On Sep 18, 2019
Awol1:
Must you study medicine?
Absolutely yes

1 Like

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by sulaak(m): 1:49pm On Sep 18, 2019
Ademola47:
Hello Nairalenders,

Please, I need your advice experienced medicine graduates, students and consultants.

I am a 19-year-old medicine (MBBS) aspirant. I have written three jamb and MBBS admission has not come my way.

I applied twice in ui and once in Unilag.
For the unilag admission, I was 11 marks below the cut off mark in 2017.

In 2018, I was 2 marks below the cut off mark in ui.
This year, my aggregate is relatively low.

Now, I need advice on:
1. How to score 340+ in the forthcoming (2020) utme.
2. How to re strategize
3. How to eliminate boredom while reading/preparing.

4. Materials/books I can prepare with.

Also, I'll be glad to learn from your experience.

Thanks in anticipation.

PS: My utme score has always been between 280-318
Change your strategy and become a data scientist. An analytical science degree such as industrial Physic, Chemistry or Engr Physic followed by an MSC in Data Science or analytics is all you required
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Worldbest281: 1:51pm On Sep 18, 2019
let me give you some useful tips
1. once you chose ui,Oau or unilag in jamb,don't chose any southwest state as your state of origin, choose any northern state, you can choose kwara state and this will help you because they will consider that you are education less develop state (ELDS), so after you have been given admission, forget all these jamb and o'level registration,school will say you should do another fresh registration because they believed most of you are naive and they help you do jamb registration in which you will now use your original state of origin.....note am talking from experience,. this is what I did to get admission into unilag in 2012 and am from osun state which if have chosen osun I wouldn't have gotten the admission...I chose kwara state and later changed it to osun during school registration...sometimes you just need to be smart....this clue help if you choose any southwest university because they give lower cut off mark to ELDS
2. if you know you are very good in math,English and current affairs choose unilag but your chemistry and biology is your pillars then choose ui or Oau and if you a very strong connection choose Unilorin... good luck Bro!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by temi2008: 1:51pm On Sep 18, 2019
mrvitalis:

Smart?

The Lord hates it
It is corruption personified

Divers weights are an abomination unto the Lord ; and a false balance is not good.
Proverbs 20:23 KJV

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Soar2019: 2:01pm On Sep 18, 2019
If MBBS is your choice of course then there are many route to getting it
1. You are already wasting the most precious of your youthful age at home .. apply to 2 or 3 schools MBBS in one and other related courses in other universities .. or apply for Prelim/ A-Level in other university with that you should be able to cross to 200level if not in Medicine but in other related courses. After ur graduation you may pick up medicine and start again after all, learning is life-long.
2. Though may be difficult in term of finance but you could try other countries where u can study very cheap and afterwards apply for schorlaships ... all necessary information could be gotten at ur ‘finger print’ on your phone

I think it helps
Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by TotoNaRubber: 2:01pm On Sep 18, 2019
As soon as you start making money and having children you will see that education is just an ideology, you must not study medicine to live and live.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Macon1212: 2:03pm On Sep 18, 2019
Get admission for pharmacy and other related courses and after a year re-take jamb for medicine and you will get in
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by litaninja(m): 2:05pm On Sep 18, 2019
If you're not up to the rigors of hitting and rising above the minimum entry level scores, do you think the Medicine and Surgery are the right fit for you?
Medicine, Like all other highly demanding and regarded courses of study require to be ABOVE AND BEYOND.
Think about it...
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by fa4oteejay: 2:08pm On Sep 18, 2019
USE THIS METHOD,

PASS QUESTION OF 2017
PASS QUESTION OF 2018
PASS QUESTION OF 2019

JOIN ALL THESE YEAR JAMB PASS QUESTION TOGETHER STUDY ALL VERY WELL
MAKE SURE YOU TREAT ALL THE QUESTION VERY WELL
GO AND SIT AGAIN FOR YOUR EXAM,
YOU HAVE MAKE IT, DON'T LET PHOBIA OVERRULE YOU.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Aaam(m): 2:11pm On Sep 18, 2019
I am sure you would be really good at dealing with science subjects. So you can add

Fundamental formulars In the English Language

to boost you English score!

*Concerning school*

*Approach one*

1. Pick out 10mbbs schools you wish to go
2. Out of this 10 pick 5 you can afford
3. Check how they admit. That is if they use catchment, if waec grades count, if They use jamb or not, check the kind of post utme dey do(whether A-level or o-level)
4. Choose one and chase it.

Note:
You can leave your environment for another geopolitical zone. Southwest is very competitive especially for southwesterners bcus of catchment.

*Approach two*
1. Apply for predegree in your school
2. Aim to be the best and get the highest.

*Approach three*
1. Apply for jupeb or ijmb and choose a sch
2. Score A parallel, it's easy(but hotttt) please score all.
3. Enter 200L straight

*Approach four* extreme*
1. Look for school abroad
2. Look for those with scholarship attached

There are many good schools abroad willing to accept brilliant students!!!

Please ensure you follow all instructions carefully in jamb reg, putme reg.
Get all necessary documents.

Good luck bro!

1 Like

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by sunaizo4real: 2:14pm On Sep 18, 2019
My advice is that you should stop wasting you your time at home preparing for jamb, in stead go for another course and while in your 100level you can still rewrite jamb to study medicine and surgery.i had some class mates then who did jamb in their 100level in biochemistry and some in 300level, and with the right score and connections they got admission in medicine, another way is through A-level exams
Ademola47:
Hello Nairalenders,

Please, I need your advice experienced medicine graduates, students and consultants.

I am a 19-year-old medicine (MBBS) aspirant. I have written three jamb and MBBS admission has not come my way.

Now, I need advice on:
2. How to re strategize

Thanks in anticipation.

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by nnol(m): 2:14pm On Sep 18, 2019
i advice u change to a course that is similar to medicine,like anatomy,physiology,biochemistry or even pharmacy. That was how i wanted to study law back then,even from secondary shool av got dis passion for law. My dad persuaded me to apply A.B.U. i applied law two times nd international relations once,even after one Dr from the department of international relations promised to help nd still wasn't given admission. Then i applied criminology in another school the following year nd i got the admission. Am currently studying criminology nd security studies,it is a social science course nd i find it even more interesting than law because there are so many chances of working in various security organisations within Nigeria wit a 2.1 grade atleast. They even see us as law students in my school becos my school is not offering law yet,they will start by next year or so. Right nw am in my 3rd year nd i have no regret studying criminology and security studies. Same thing happened to my sis, she has dis passion to study economics bt today she is an engineer nd she is so happy to be an engineer. so my advice for you is that you should pick the above courses which i mentioned or better still try another uni,u might just be lucky. Time waits for nobody,i don't know how old you are but you are not getting getting younger becos three years have added to your age since then. Still study hard nd pray,God will see you through.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by ibitolad14(m): 2:17pm On Sep 18, 2019
Why not try running for Advanced level programs(ijmb/jupeb).. You could be lucky if you score high and your result doesn't expire for a long time too...
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 18, 2019
kkboy:
Instead of waiting for UTME, why not look for a good school that offers A Level.
Study for A levels and try both UTME and direct entry next year.
You will look for me to thank me.
But why Medicine?

THIS IS SOLID ADVICE. LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT A MATE OF MINE IN 100L MEDICINE AND SURGERY, UNIJOS 1992. HE HAD DONE JAMB, THRICE. WAS GIVEN CHEMISTRY, THRICE. FOURTH TIME AROUND HE GOT MEDICINE. THEN WENT ON TO FAIL THE FIRST HURDLE, 100L (PRE MED) . AT THE SECOND ATTEMPT, HE WAS ADVISED TO WITHDRAW. HE APPLIED TO THE CHEMISTRY DEPARTMENT AND WAS ACCEPTED. THIS TIME OLD BOY WAS APPROACHING 30. HE DID THE CHEMISTRY HAPPILY. (TRUE STORY, SIR)
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by gideonvalor98(m): 2:21pm On Sep 18, 2019
Like someone said in one of the comments, put in for a course in the league of medicine (I.e, course in the faculty or college of medical sciences) study hard and have a strong cgpa in your first year, then instead of you moving to 2nd year , you will just cross back to medicine and surgery year 1. I wouldn't know maybe they still allow that now. You can go to the school to make some findings. U're gracified
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by mrvitalis(m): 2:24pm On Sep 18, 2019
temi2008:

Smart?

The Lord hates it
It is corruption personified

Divers weights are an abomination unto the Lord ; and a false balance is not good.
Proverbs 20:23 KJV
U mean same God that asked iseral to kill people and take their land
U mean how abraham lied ?
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by explosiveskull(m): 2:27pm On Sep 18, 2019
Sonfethopia:

Why can't those marks get an Igbo admission in UNN
Those northern states are considered by the federal government as low educational advantage areas, therefore efforts are made to make entering school for them to be easier than other southern areas.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by olasamuel52: 2:33pm On Sep 18, 2019
Well all I can advice you is to look for another school that there is no much competitive, you men even end up been the best doctor. Most of the schools you choose are meant for connected people.. If you dont mind going to northern part,it's a fruitful ground for you.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Joystark(f): 2:34pm On Sep 18, 2019
tundchip2:
i really don't know what to say than, Study Harder and pray. Just focus your mind on what you want to achieve and as long as you keep working to achieve your goals, it'll happen. And BTW my sister also had this problem, she wanted to study medicine and surgery at UI but she didn't meet the cut off mark at first and the second time. The third time, she put human nutrition and dietetics as her first choice but she later met the cut off. She graduated 4 years ago and now she's doing well and above expectations, what am trying to say in short again is that Sometimes God does wonders in Forms you can't expect.

By the way,
i have a Netflix Account with one year membership.
Price = 2K
If you're interested send me a message on 07081928623

What kind of membership?
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by portacabin: 2:36pm On Sep 18, 2019
Ademola47:
Hello Nairalenders,

Now, I need advice on:
2. How to re strategize

Thanks in anticipation.

what are your actual scores
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Funkybabee(f): 2:37pm On Sep 18, 2019
Go and apply for their pre-degree, it easier to get it with your hard work and spending than jamb which will keep wasting your time and efforts.

Just be serious, pray and work harder when you are doing it. It works faster
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Flashh: 2:48pm On Sep 18, 2019
Op, don't mind all those asking you silly questions to chanel your mindset somewhere else from studying the course you want. They never like people studying courses they sucks on, and will always want to take that fervor from you.

Though, U.I I am sure of; because that's where I graduated from. You will need to up your game a lot more, if you really want to get admitted in studying med/surgery from beginning. I will advice you to settle for other schools with lower cutoff marks. Federal schools are a lot higher, you can try state schools if you know their medicine/surgery is standard enough.

I wish you the best bro!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by tundchip2: 2:58pm On Sep 18, 2019
Joystark:

What kind of membership?
Standard Membership
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by youngscholar(m): 3:08pm On Sep 18, 2019
First, ask God for guidance.

If it's your course, keep fighting for it but if otherwise, ask your creator which..

Cheers Oris.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Zoe99(f): 3:10pm On Sep 18, 2019
Apply for an Eastern state university. Federal universities are too uptight. That's your best bet.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by mamaafrik(m): 3:11pm On Sep 18, 2019
profem1:
This is what some of my guys did in UI:

Apply for a less competitive course in College of Medicine and then, switch to MBBS in 200 level. You'll first have to apply to courses like Physiology, Biochemistry and Dentistry. They are quite strict on which course you can switch from, but I'm very sure of Physiology. You can confirm for the other two. Secondly, you have to make a first class at the end of your first year.

With the trend of your scores, I want to believe making a first class in your first year should be a walk over for you.

Goodluck g

a friend did this too at UI
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Godsfavour78: 3:17pm On Sep 18, 2019
mrvitalis:

hope you are not among those cursing politician and yahoo? undecided
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by okorie3: 3:17pm On Sep 18, 2019
2 words for you. STUDY and PRACTICE. Do past question papers when you are bored. Have a reading partner who wants to read medicine too. Iron sharpeneth iron. Do away with distractions. FOCUS. Congrats cos you are almost there.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by mrvitalis(m): 3:19pm On Sep 18, 2019
Godsfavour78:
hope you are not among those cursing politician and yahoo? undecided
Got my admission on merit back then in 2010

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photo Of The Day - Boarding School Life / Senate Extends JAMB Result Validity To 3 Years / Top Ten Oldest Universities In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.