Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions (28462 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions / Igala People: Identify Urself's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by namdo(m): 2:25pm On Dec 27, 2010
wow, Kayode and Babatunde in trinidad and tobego cool nnaaaa lekwa ijee.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by dotman2(m): 4:00pm On Dec 27, 2010
mukina2:

I am From Sierra Leone and i'll give our ways of celebrating naming ceremony, engagement, marriage, death and charity (sara) as i remembered them smiley

When a woman gives birth  to a boy after the 7th day its the naming ceremony. its calling 'pull na doe' or komojadeh' if its a girl its 8 days, after prayers have been done, the name of the child will be whispered into the child's ears and  a sheep would be slaughtered, the entrails are given to the mum and the name would be announced  to everyone. if the child has name sakes in the gathering, they all pay for the name to the mum.The baby's hair is cut off by the paternal aunt and kola is chewed and put in the baby's mouth.
Soon after if its a boy ,they circumcise him its called 'behtee', a guy with goat skin bag would circumcise him ( i was scared of them embarassed) lol.

On to engagement, when a guy sees lady he likes and wants to get married to her, he and his family members would come to the girl's family with a calabash  filled with things, alligator pepper,biscuits, bitter kola, ordinary kola nut, needle and thread, pins, a mat, fanna ,plenty other  things (cant remember them now)and money for all the people who helped to bring up the girl, the people she sent on errands and so on. the calabash is given to any young girl to carry . At the wife's house, the door will be firmly shut, they will come sing and then knock three times, if its a stubborn uncle at the door, he would demand for money before opening or he would pretend he didnt hear what they are saying, when he finally opens the door, the guy's family will say that saw a rose in the compound that they want to take away for safe keeping, then different girls would be covered up and brought outside for the groom  to identify his bride, for each girl that comes out he has to drop some money  until his bride to be appears, then they do the prayers, open the calabash and explain the use.meaning/significance of each to her, then they give her the ring and she now goes around with it showing the invited guests, neighbours and everyone else around, then we party grin

Weddings
The bride and groom to be have to choose two respectable married people to be their God parents and God witnesses, then they choose their entire entourage, little bride, little groom. ring bearer, usherettes, ushers, bridesmaids, flower girls, page boys etc ,and they choose wax cotton or anything, each for  every group (boys side/girls side/ relatives/ god parents and god witnesses) choose their own. then they have the bachelors  eve, plenty merry making and people wear their cloths ( known as ashobee). The day of the wedding, the bride's youngest brother/daddy/uncle takes her to the mosque/church.the bride is a bridal gown and the guy in  suit/kaftan and oku wrapper  on his hand ,(for muslims), After  prayers and all that, they now go round to older relatives to drink water, after drinking water, they now head to reception/party.

for some people they add extra cultural activities like hunting, orjeh, gerafeh, and the likes to celebrate afterwards (not everyone does this)

funeral
when a muslim dies, he/she is buried as soon as possible, if you die like in the morning you;ll be buried at 2oclock or 4oclock, they will lay the body at home for relatives and friends and see and then they take the body to the mosque for prayers and then burial. If the person that died was male, his wife/wives would go to  a mourning period for 4 months and 10 days, wherein they only wear white,the first 10 days they are not allowed out of their rooms, some one would be bathing them and so on.In addition, they'll take out a book and ask for those that he/she owned or for those that should pay him or her, so that they pay up and if the deceased owed you, you would give your name plus the amount and that will be given to you from the 'kasankeh' ( the money people give to pay their respects to the deceased

when a christian dies, they wait until all the family members agree on a burial date, then they proceed to wake keeping (some do not do it though), they do laying out ceremony and then the casket is sealed and taken to church. If the person that died was very old, powder or blue would be thrown on the relatives and the casket would be danced with till the cemetery.

After the funeral.
Muslims do 3 days,7 days and 40th day charity,1 year 2 year and so on (if the person that died was old, they would cook plenty food,if the person was mid age, they would prepare snacks only, like akara,beans,  ginger beer  etc but if it was a young person they only recite the Quran and share fura/kola. Water in a glass plus some of the fura/kola is kept on a table , its believed that the deceased comes to eat and drink it  .Christians do libation for the dead on 40th day, they cook and the food is done like a sara, you grab what you can. its called kapu kapu, they also put water but with beans, akara,potato etc which is believed the deceased will come and eat it, most times the grandkids would go and thief it grin in  the morning the older folks would be telling stories of how they saw  and heard the deceased ( yeah right)  grin grin grin

will post more as i remember smiley

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by mediatrix8(f): 5:08pm On Dec 27, 2010
Ranoscky:

Interestin topic, Im lovin it.

@Mediatrix, what city in China are you in?. . .Guangzhou, Donguan, shengzen, Shanghai or Nanghai?
Here in Beijing, Are you in China too?Guess you are coz you mentioned 3 big cities in Guangdong.I have been to all those you mentioned though, I love Guangzhou and Shanghai cheesy

@post.I love the thread and hope to know more foreign customs and culture cheesy
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by ziga: 5:44pm On Dec 27, 2010
namdo:

wow, Kayode and Babatunde in trinidad and tobego cool nnaaaa lekwa ijee.

There are so many people with African names in the caribbean. I've heard of Sade, Olabisi, Ronke, kwame, Neka (i guess that is supposed to be Nneka)
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by AngieFan(f): 6:25pm On Dec 27, 2010
interesting thread
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Nobody: 6:31pm On Dec 27, 2010
@the german guy- i wonder why german economy is among the best in europe after all these war war war they experienced yet they are more successful than their european counterpart!

@ topic
a friend was complaining how much he gonna pay 4 marriage,i wish he can read these thread.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Kilode1: 7:19pm On Dec 27, 2010
mukina2:

thanks Ajali smiley
lol nope am not creole and yeah they have Yoruba ties, because i noticed that some words we use are also being used by Yoruba, .ours is called Oku tribe.

You are one of the dispersed children of Oduduwa!! maybe from the Okun Akoko-Kwara-Kogi axis, we claim you forthwith whether you agree or not cheesy

Nice thread BTW.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by freecocoa(f): 8:03pm On Dec 27, 2010
Well i'm biafrian-nigerian mum is from nigeria and dad is from biafra so i guess that makes me biafran,our tradition is well known to most nigerians so i'll spare myself the stress of typing.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by tausi(f): 8:27pm On Dec 27, 2010
Kenyan in the house!!!!!!!!yuhuuuuuuu

Hi all; am kenyan and love NL. Kenyan culture, beliefs and traditions are so diverse that I can't go into details here. There are over 40 tribes in kenya with different traditions and beliefs. I grew up in Nairobi which is a very modern multicultural city.

smiley
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by okooyinbo(m): 8:29pm On Dec 27, 2010
ajali,
Interesting piece tho! I was beginning 2b having appetite wit 'em.
My question goes thus, is it true dat u Jar-ma-ny(as Germany is being refer2 in nigeria, due 2their work, work,work) cant do without achohol, due 2bad water and all dat? Hope dat does not have any effect as a result of an excessive in take of achohol? Also do u think it doesnt have no religion implicatns?

Das Ding (Stollen) schmeckt fürchtbar und noch dazu sehr kalorienreich. Meaning STOLLEN tastes really awful and its calorie loaded.

BTW, German life is not about work work work, we do find time to enjoy ourselves as well. We go to the discos, theaters etc. We also enjoy ourselves during the many thousand cultural festivals we celibrate like "Schutzenfest", "Kirmes", "Zissel", "Weinfest" etc. pp. and sadly a no small number of our citizens whom we refer to as "die Unverbesserliche" also do use their spare time to hunt down and lynch foreigners and colored people on the street especially in the east of our undoubtedly beautiful country. Fortunately, cases of racial killing has reduce .drastically what one can not say about Nigeria (JOS).

In Germany, we do consume a lot of alcohol. However, the law stipulates that when you drink, dont drive! And the more you obey the law, the better for you. You can hardly placate a police officer with a "20,- Euro" egunje.

Btw, I have the monopoly to say naughty things about my countries. Dont do it if you're not German or Nigerian. If you do, you will be lynched
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by toskyy: 9:50pm On Dec 27, 2010
May God help us.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by ziga: 10:21pm On Dec 27, 2010
tausi:

Kenyan in the house!!!!!!!!yuhuuuuuuu

Hi all; am kenyan and love NL. Kenyan culture, beliefs and traditions are so diverse that I can't go into details here. There are over 40 tribes in kenya with different traditions and beliefs. I grew up in Nairobi which is a very modern multicultural city.

smiley
interesting to know that just like Nigeria, Kenya has lots of tribes.
Question - Do you have various tribes in Kenya claiming superiority over other tribes just like we usually have here on Nairaland
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by ajileko: 11:07pm On Dec 27, 2010
@bammykake Wah gwann with you. Tell me something. mi wan know how jamaican celebrate xmas. Is this when we eat BUN and Cheesse. Mi wan know cus mi a fi guh back soon and visit mi uncle dem.

@question, The african name is very common in the caribean and even schools with african names are common, eg "Calabar high school" in Kingston.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by whiteroses(f): 12:51am On Dec 28, 2010
wow i feel ordinary as a nigerian with this thread lol diversity is a good thing more pics? if u got
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by okooyinbo(m): 1:48am On Dec 28, 2010
Whiteroses, you meant to say "extraordinary" dontcha? Redroses are more common, hence somehow ordinary.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by beejaei: 4:20am On Dec 28, 2010
Did not know we have so many foreigners and visitors on NL? We are indeed the giant of Africa.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by isalegan2: 6:22am On Dec 28, 2010
- - -
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by jba203: 8:40am On Dec 28, 2010
Hi there. Am black -South African with Jewish ancestry. In South Africa, the African culture and tradition by black ppl is almost non-existence, but its there.

In my family we dont eat pork, we get circumcised at a younger age, we dont eat dead meat, and most of all, we were not encouraged to marry other tribes, but of course that is no longer the case . My Home language is "Venda" the people are called "Vha-Venda. My father is a South African Jew. and My Mom, is Venda (Lemba)or Black Jew. If you need more info, i will provide.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by jba203: 8:49am On Dec 28, 2010
Just a point of concern. Lets kindly re-frain from saying things like "Non-Nigerians", because that implies that everyone is striving by all means to be Nigerians. In South Africa my land, white ppl use 2 reffer 2 us as "Non-Whites" thats like saying we really wanna be them or like them. Thats wrong, lets find a proper political correct word 2 use. peace out
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Feraz(m): 9:07am On Dec 28, 2010
freecocoa:

Well i'm biafrian-nigerian mum is from nigeria and dad is from biafra so i guess that makes me biafran,our tradition is well known to most nigerians so i'll spare myself the stress of typing.
lwkmd!!!
A very interesting thread!! Ajali, do you mind giving me the food through nairaland? Lol, more pls!!!!!! Thanks
whiteroses:

wow i feel ordinary as a nigerian with this thread lol diversity is a good thing more pics? if u got
thank you @ the bolded. Unfortunately, people don't know what it means to be diverse yet united
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Feraz(m): 9:09am On Dec 28, 2010
jba203:

Just a point of concern. Lets kindly re-frain from saying things like "Non-Nigerians", because that implies that everyone is striving by all means to be Nigerians. In South Africa my land, white ppl use 2 reffer 2 us as "Non-Whites" thats like saying we really wanna be them or like them. Thats wrong, lets find a proper political correct word 2 use. peace out
Say foreigners?!?!?!
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by MamaJD(f): 9:29am On Dec 28, 2010
@topic am from germany.we dont really have
culture we have rules and laws
Lol.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by wale4x35(m): 2:03pm On Dec 28, 2010
Do we have an award for best topic/posts of 2010?

If yes, this should be one of them.

Well done @poster.

Please guys and girls from other countries, share your values/beliefs/cultures. and thanks a million for your time.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Kelvinj(m): 7:28pm On Dec 28, 2010
Lol think am kinda enjoyin the SA culture
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by otumfour(m): 8:16pm On Dec 28, 2010
beejaei:

Did not know we have so many foreigners and visitors on NL? We are indeed the giant of Africa.

^^ no need to add the canceled part to derail this very fine thread cool
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 28, 2010
^^I SOOOOO AGREE! wink

ajileko:

@bammykake  Wah gwann with you. Tell me something. mi wan know how jamaican celebrate xmas. Is this when we eat BUN and Cheesse. Mi wan know cus mi a fi guh back soon and visit mi uncle dem.

@question, The african name is very common in the caribean and even schools with african names are common, eg "Calabar high school" in Kingston.

lol She doesn't know anything about Jamaica, I'm not even sure if she is. Myself, Ochungal and Carolece are the only three Jamaicans on here who know about Jamaica.

Calabar is a school in Kingston as you said  wink. But bun and cheese, although a year round snack is mostly eaten during the Easter holiday.

Our Diet in Jamaica consists mostly of rice, fish, cassava, chicken and red meat (pork, goat, and beef).

Our breakfasts usually consists of some sort hot cereal or porridge, if not then tea and unriped plantains, boiled green banana, fried/boiled dumplings and a fish (mackerel, cod with ackee, red herring); many more!

The snacks are like America in terms of chips/ candies but we also eat alot of mango, Jamaican apple (reminiscent of the American pear with a single seed inside), other fresh fruit, bag juice (LITERALLY a bag with juice in it), plantain/banana chips/etc. Can't forget our internationally known beef/veggie patties YUMMY! cheesy

Our dinners usually consist of rice and beans with a meat of one's choice (pork, chicken, fish, beef; all either jerked, curried or baked/roasted), riped plantains, and veggies.

Drinks are: carrot, banana, lemonade, kola champagne or a mixed fruit juice  wink  as well as rum, beer or a soda.

there's so much more!

Basically in Jamaica we celebrate Christmas just like in America the only difference is we go ALL out. We clean up all day on Christmas Eve, and decorate our houses with some of the finest and brightest Christmas lights (we are very competitive when doing so lol). We play lots of music, prepare lots of food (esp. soup/gumbo which is VERY popular in Jamaica). The next day is the same but Boxing day is the REAL deal! We gather what we do not want and donate them to charity or loved ones and celebrate. That night music is played and the young adults or ppl who can afford to or dont mind the drama lol goes to the last and BIGGEST show in Jamaica known as "Sting" in which the hottest artists perform and the artists who had the biggest beefs or were the two biggest competition perform diss songs to each other as the show closes, sounds ridiculous but it is AMAZING! (until the rival fans start fighting  angry and it's hell to pay!)

Gosh I miss home  undecided
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by okooyinbo(m): 9:20pm On Dec 28, 2010
@Iya JD
@topic am from germany.we dont really have
culture we have rules and laws
Lol.

If I jamm (Germ) you, I will show you my Yoruba and Hessian German culture. Oder hast du noch nicht davon gehört, dass wir Hessen keinen Erbarmen kennen? LOL

I AM YORUBA BY BIRTH
GERMAN BY JAMMING

Sugbon sha, o so otito die nipa "law & order" ni Jamania. Carry go maami JD.;-)))

Übrigens: Wo biste beheimatet? Wenn in der Nähe von Kassel, dann würde ich dich zu einer Runde von perfektem Dinner mit "obe egunsi" und "eba" einladen. Ich kann auch alternativerweise Sauerkraut aus der Dose mit Pumpernickel servieren. Und Jemand behauptet wir hätten käne Kultur? LOL
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Nobody: 9:25pm On Dec 28, 2010
CONTINUED: Religion in Jamaica is also like the Americas but we are mostly a Catholic/Christian island, though there are Muslims, Rastafarians ;etc.
Voodoo or Obeah as we call it is widely practiced and plays a major role in our OVERLY superstitious culture.
We have Kumina (from our Congolese ancestors) and Junkunu (our west African ancestors) festivals too.

hmmmm. . .and the Maroons (descendants of Jamaica's first African and freed slaves) basically hold the key to our culture, they even speak
African dialects and raw patois that the "city-fied" lol dwellers at times do not understand. This is because they usually do not leave their villages or allow city dwelling Jamaicans to enter and they refuse modern technology or influence. Some of them are so cultured some historians can even identify where in Africa they came from or at least influenced them, but there are SOOO many different Maroon clans throughout Jamaica, they are not all the same. My family are Maroons from St. Catherine, but we are watered down  undecided

Jamaica is complex but very interesting. Our national hero is Nanny who was born in Ghana along with her brothers Accompong and Cudjoe, who fought against both the Spanish and English (I think only the English though). Nanny was so untouchable that the English had to appraoch her on several occasions begging for a treaty lol no wonder our women are so hard lol. Anyway she and our other heroes in Jamaica formed and were part of the Maroon culture that shaped our religion and culture as a whole in Jamaica.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by otumfour(m): 10:27pm On Dec 28, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

CONTINUED: Religion in Jamaica is also like the Americas but we are mostly a Catholic/Christian island, though there are Muslims, Rastafarians ;etc.
Voodoo or Obeah as we call it is widely practiced and plays a major role in our OVERLY superstitious culture.
We have Kumina (from our Congolese ancestors) and Junkunu (our west African ancestors) festivals too.

hmmmm. . .and the Maroons (descendants of Jamaica's first African and freed slaves) basically hold the key to our culture, they even speak
African dialects and raw patois that the "city-fied" lol dwellers at times do not understand. This is because they usually do not leave their villages or allow city dwelling Jamaicans to enter and they refuse modern technology or influence. Some of them are so cultured some historians can even identify where in Africa they came from or at least influenced them, but there are SOOO many different Maroon clans throughout Jamaica, they are not all the same. My family are Maroons from St. Catherine, but we are watered down  undecided

Jamaica is complex but very interesting. Our national hero is Nanny who was born in Ghana along with her brothers Accompong and Cudjoe, who fought against both the Spanish and English (I think only the English though). Nanny was so untouchable that the English had to appraoch her on several occasions begging for a treaty lol no wonder our women are so hard lol. Anyway she and our other heroes in Jamaica formed and were part of the Maroon culture that shaped our religion and culture as a whole in Jamaica.

these 2 names, Accompong and Cudjoe
the Accompong sounds like the Ghanaian name >>Acheampong-an ASHANTI name
and CUDJOE is a Ghanaian name as well, Cudjoe is the name given to a Monday born in Ghana
In Ghana, we have names for all the 7 days, so a child is named after the day he/she was born,we call them house hold names

MALE
MONDAY- CUDJOE/KUDJOE
TUESDAY- KWABENA
WEDNESDAY- KWEKU
THURSDAY- YAW
FRIDAY- KOFI
SATURDAY- KWAME
SUNDAY- KWESI

FEMALE
MONDAY- ADWOA
TUESDAY- ABENA
WEDNESDAY- AKUA
THURSDAY- YAA
FRIDAY- AFUA
SATURDAY- AMA
SUNDAY- AKOS

I say, this thread's been 1 of the best so far on Nairaland wink
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Kilode1: 11:02pm On Dec 28, 2010
otumfour:

these 2 names, Accompong and Cudjoe
the Accompong sounds like the Ghanaian name >>Acheampong-an ASHANTI name
and CUDJOE is a Ghanaian name as well, Cudjoe is the name given to a Monday born in Ghana
In Ghana, we have names for all the 7 days, so a child is named after the day he/she was born,we call them house hold names

MALE
MONDAY- CUDJOE/KUDJOE
TUESDAY- KWABENA
WEDNESDAY- KWEKU
THURSDAY- YAW
FRIDAY- KOFI
SATURDAY- KWAME
SUNDAY- KWESI

FEMALE
MONDAY- ADWOA
TUESDAY- ABENA
WEDNESDAY- AKUA
THURSDAY- YAA
FRIDAY- AFUA
SATURDAY- AMA
SUNDAY- AKOS

I say, this thread's been 1 of the best so far on Nairaland wink

The Wikipedia entry for "Nanny the Maroon" actually said "The Maroons mainly consisted of people from the Akan region of West Africa. The Ashante tribe, from which Nanny came"

Otumfour, I suspect "Nanny" is a corrupted form of the Akan/Ashanti name "Nana" or what do you think?

MzDarkskin's post Reminds me of Wole Soyinka's tale about his search for an old lady who kept memories and stories of her family history from Africa. Soyinka went searching after he learnt about and her village in the Jamaican hill settlement of Bekuta (Soyinka belived it was named after his birth-city Abeokuta)

In his book You Must Set Forth at Dawn, Soyinka wrote that the lady was long dead by the time he got there and the village over grown with weed, her family only had a faint memory of her stories.

Soyinka said he spoke with the grand-daughter who said but "no one pay much time for that Africa foolishness. She only keep all that in she head, so when she gone, no one pay any mind to such things"

Wole Soyinka wrote that he felt "gutted" after hearing that.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by ajileko: 11:54pm On Dec 28, 2010
Yes I've heard a lot of stories about Granny Nanny, she's quite a strong lady. Also tell me something, is the goat soup "Manish water" same as "pepper soup" we eat in Africa? Bwoy, mi lov manish water fi real.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by otumfour(m): 12:46am On Dec 29, 2010
Kilode?!:

The Wikipedia entry for "Nanny the Maroon" actually said "The Maroons mainly consisted of people from the Akan region of West Africa. The Ashante tribe, from which Nanny came"

Otumfour, I suspect "Nanny" is a corrupted form of the Akan/Ashanti name "Nana" or what do you think?

MzDarkskin's post Reminds me of Wole Soyinka's tale about his search for an old lady who kept memories and stories of her family history from Africa. Soyinka went searching after he learnt about and her village in the Jamaican hill settlement of Bekuta (Soyinka belived it was named after his birth-city Abeokuta)

In his book You Must Set Forth at Dawn, Soyinka wrote that the lady was long dead by the time he got there and the village over grown with weed, her family only had a faint memory of her stories.

Soyinka said he spoke with the grand-daughter who said but "no one pay much time for that Africa foolishness. She only keep all that in she head, so when she gone, no one pay any mind to such things"

Wole Soyinka wrote that he felt "gutted" after hearing that.

am very sure on this 1 bruv, the Nanny is surely Nana
Nana has 2 meanings in Akan-Ashanti, NANA= A KING & NANA= GRAND PARENTS, I even refer to my Granny as NANA

shocked tht Soyinka piece is really interesting, wow! am loving this thread mahn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Is A Jew Man? / Nigeria's Pidgin English Dictionary / Igbo Women And Social Status

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.