Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

Why Nigeria Is Such A Terrible Country- Ian Kedem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Is Such A Terrible Country- Ian Kedem (555 Views)

Why Is Nigeria Such A Terrible Country? / Israeli Man Tags Nigeria A "Terrible Country" / Why Is Nigeria Such A Terrible Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria Is Such A Terrible Country- Ian Kedem by Hamachi(f): 2:06pm On Sep 20, 2019
I'm an Israeli living in Nigeria now for 5 years. I worked as an Agronomist on an agricultural project on Plateau State and now I'm working for an Israeli company in Ibadan.

I never planned to come to Nigeria because I always heard that it was a lawless country where everyone wants to dupe you.

It takes time to get used to living here. There is extreme poverty, yes. The infrastructure of the country is terrible, bad roads, no water supply, no electricity, corruption at every level. The security situation is deteriorating with armed robbery and kidnapping a frequent occurence. There are quite a few no go areas.

The politicians are only out to fill their own pockets and have no conscience or feel no obligation to serve the people who elected them. Tribalism and nepotism are rife in public life.

With all these challenges Nigeria has the potential to be a world leader because of their most important resource - the people.

If the government were to invest in their own people by starting new industrial and agricultural projects the country could prosper. Put money into the roads and railways.

The Nigerian people are hard working, industrious, willing to undergo hardships and intelligent. They are happy and outgoing. They love us Israelis, which is refreshing in these times of a rising tide of anti Semitism in other parts of the world.

There needs to be a political revolution of the sort there was in Ghana to stop the corruption and put the money where it's needed, to empower women and the young generation of Nigerians.

The security forces have to be purged and supported by their leaders. It's unacceptable when the police or army stop you on the road and demand money. Give the security forces all the support they need so they can regain their self respect.

It's sad when you see the potential of the country being wasted. The Nigerian people deserve a better leadership.
https://www.quora.com/profile/Ian-Kedem-1

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is Such A Terrible Country- Ian Kedem by zogon(m): 2:18pm On Sep 20, 2019
There is no such thing as "if the government will...", it will never happen. Nigeria is irredeemable. It needs to be split-up around homogeneous lines like most European countries

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is Such A Terrible Country- Ian Kedem by Logobenz0: 2:25pm On Sep 20, 2019
Lol
Re: Why Nigeria Is Such A Terrible Country- Ian Kedem by Hamachi(f): 7:53am On Sep 23, 2019
Are you a Nigerian?
zogon:
There is no such thing as "if the government will...", it will never happen. Nigeria is irredeemable. It needs to be split-up around homogeneous lines like most European countries
Re: Why Nigeria Is Such A Terrible Country- Ian Kedem by helinues: 7:55am On Sep 23, 2019
Only a rich man live permanently in Nigeria.

Even Atiku is no where to be found

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is Such A Terrible Country- Ian Kedem by Day169: 8:05am On Sep 23, 2019
The foreigner has said it all!
.. there's nothing else to add. lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is Such A Terrible Country- Ian Kedem by persius555(m): 8:14am On Sep 23, 2019
Hamachi:
I'm an Israeli living in Nigeria now for 5 years. I worked as an Agronomist on an agricultural project on Plateau State and now I'm working for an Israeli company in Ibadan.

I never planned to come to Nigeria because I always heard that it was a lawless country where everyone wants to dupe you.

It takes time to get used to living here. There is extreme poverty, yes. The infrastructure of the country is terrible, bad roads, no water supply, no electricity, corruption at every level. The security situation is deteriorating with armed robbery and kidnapping a frequent occurence. There are quite a few no go areas.

The politicians are only out to fill their own pockets and have no conscience or feel no obligation to serve the people who elected them. Tribalism and nepotism are rife in public life.

With all these challenges Nigeria has the potential to be a world leader because of their most important resource - the people.

If the government were to invest in their own people by starting new industrial and agricultural projects the country could prosper. Put money into the roads and railways.

The Nigerian people are hard working, industrious, willing to undergo hardships and intelligent. They are happy and outgoing. They love us Israelis, which is refreshing in these times of a rising tide of anti Semitism in other parts of the world.

There needs to be a political revolution of the sort there was in Ghana to stop the corruption and put the money where it's needed, to empower women and the young generation of Nigerians.

The security forces have to be purged and supported by their leaders. It's unacceptable when the police or army stop you on the road and demand money. Give the security forces all the support they need so they can regain their self respect.

It's sad when you see the potential of the country being wasted. The Nigerian people deserve a better leadership.
https://www.quora.com/profile/Ian-Kedem-1

And who told you the Nigerian government does not invest in road and infrastructure? They do invest. Just that 60% goes into kickbacks and the little left is hardly enough to do a complete job.

Governance is a privilege that a lot of Nigerians seek in order to empower their pockets at the expense of the infrastructure you talked about. The country is a quagmire of some sort. Dont blame the government alone, the citizens have a larger share of the blame.

We are accomplices in this mess. Only a Nigerian will understand.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Is Such A Terrible Country- Ian Kedem by izombie(m): 8:38am On Sep 23, 2019
persius555:

And who told you the Nigerian government does not invest in road and infrastructure? They do invest. Just that 60% goes into kickbacks and the little left is hardly enough to do a complete job.

Governance is a privilege that a lot of Nigerians seek in order to empower their pockets at the expense of the infrastructure you talked about. The country is a quagmire of some sort. Dont blame the government alone, the citizens have a larger share of the blame.

We are accomplices in this mess. Only a Nigerian will understand.
you just said the same things the isreali said but in a different way. @topic.....whoever thinks those in leadership do not know how to fix nigeria must be delusional. They know but they won't do it. Nigeria will keep getting worse until we split up the country.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NASS On Lockdown As Buhari Presents 2020 Budget / Border Closure: Nigerians Will Praise FG — Lagos Lawmaker / Atiku's Reaction To Supreme Court Judgement.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.