Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,353 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:36 AM

Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? (1814 Views)

Cows Sitting And Relaxing Comfortably On The Road. Man Shares Video, Laments / Lady Slammed For Paying For Her Kids To Sit Comfortably In A Bus / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by dubaiprince: 8:59pm On Sep 22, 2019
Please i need a candid advice. I am married with three kids (5,3 and 1). I stay in Lagos and my salary is about 10 million per annum with bright chances this will increase yearly in terms of salary reviews and promotions as I work with a big four. In short, I can currently afford to send my kids to good schools and take care of my family's basic needs (2 cars and have a building project ongoing). Would it be advisable to take a job offer in Australia (most likely sydney) for 80 to 85k AUD per annum pre-tax and live comfortably there with my family?
From my findings on quora, it's looking like it may not be a wise decision to take the Australian offer but I need advice from Nigerians that currently stay in Australia on this forum.

1 Like

Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Sep 22, 2019
Sometimes a man got to do what he got to do but it still ain’t enough if you make a decision then be ready to live with it
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by healthserve(m): 9:26pm On Sep 22, 2019
dubaiprince:
Please i need a candid advice. I am married with three kids (5,3 and 1). I stay in Lagos and my salary is about 10 million per annum with bright chances this will increase yearly in terms of salary reviews and promotions as I work with a big four. In short, I can currently afford to send my kids to good schools and take care of my family's basic needs (2 cars and have a building project ongoing). Would it be advisable to take a job offer in Australia (most likely sydney) for 80 to 85k AUD per annum pre-tax and live comfortably there with my family?
From my findings on quora, it's looking like it may not be a wise decision to take the Australian offer but I need advice from Nigerians that currently stay in Australia on this forum.

Convert to dollars and you have the answer. Of this is about 30,000 to 60,000 USD per annum, that's roughly 18 Million pre tax not forgetting benefits. The new environment, work for you, kids and family life are additional benefits that can't be quantifiable. Plus we have our own Nairaland doctor doing fine in Sydney.

Sir, please go abeg. Australia is an amazing country and the benefits of having worked for an international firm in your CV is amazing

Allow me usher in our doctor The duke himself

DukeofNZ bro, this our brother needs some answers.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:51am On Sep 23, 2019
It all depends in which city in OZ and your lifestyle....
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by bodejohn(m): 5:16am On Sep 23, 2019
healthserve:

Convert to dollars and you have the answer. Of this is about 30,000 to 60,000 USD per annum, that's roughly 18 Million pre tax not forgetting benefits. The new environment, work for you, kids and family life are additional benefits that can't be quantifiable. Plus we have our own Nairaland doctor doing fine in Sydney.

Sir, please go abeg. Australia is an amazing country and the benefits of having worked for an international firm in your CV is amazing

My guy, it is not everything that you need to convert to Naira.
He will not be paying his bills in Naira!

@OP, check the cost of living in the country you plan to relocate to and the type of job you have been offered.
As country hard reach for Nigeria, 850k per month salary is no beans.

6 Likes

Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by dubaiprince: 5:29am On Sep 23, 2019
Thanks a lot for the responses received so far. They have been valid in one way or the other. The truth is that I wouldn't have bothered if i needed to take the offer and relocate alone. However, from my search on the internet on rent, transportation etc and using the Australian income tax calculator, I have the strong feeling that my standard of living will drop significantly and living life there will be a struggle with my family. It may be eased a bit if my wife gets a job there but I don't know how easy and how soon she would be able to secure one. Infact, it pays for her to work now as the last born is not up to a year and I heard day care there is crazy which I don't even think I can afford.
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by Bogeyman007: 5:49am On Sep 23, 2019
To be honest, depends on your lifestyle and other factors like where you see yourself in the future. Can you sustain current status for years to come in Nigeria?, I asked that cos was in similar situation; earning close to 1M monthly in Abuja. Even though I was relatively Comfortable, I concluded may be difficult to sustain(Child school fee, health care, other basic needs) especially if the project was working on ends. That's not to say you moving to Australia will be the better option but you don't have to worry about health care, school and basic needs like power/water.. So to each his own. Think about what you want and what will work best for your family.

dubaiprince:
Thanks a lot for the responses received so far. They have been valid in one way or the other. The truth is that I wouldn't have bothered if i needed to take the offer and relocate alone. However, from my search on the internet on rent, transportation etc and using the Australian income tax calculator, I have the strong feeling that my standard of living will drop significantly and living life there will be a struggle with my family. It may be eased a bit if my wife gets a job there but I don't know how easy and how soon she would be able to secure one. Infact, it pays for her to work now as the last born is not up to a year and I heard day care there is crazy which I don't even think I can afford.
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by Gforce2019: 7:04am On Sep 23, 2019
Oga, if you can cope with the weather conditions and your can quickly adapt to new environment , I will advice you to leave...
I presume you are going their with temporary work permit .. while you are there pls make all efforts to change the temporary visa to permanent visa .. you know your vacant post in the company will be replaced immediately..
Above all consider the g-factor

1 Like

Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by Gerrard59(m): 12:57pm On Sep 23, 2019
healthserve:

Every time I see this on social media, I cringe! He's not spending naira in Australia and as such cannot used as a harbinger to relocate. This cut across moving from a developing country to a developed country. Even a developed place like Switzerland get eyebrows raised due to its high cost of living for citizens of other developed countries let alone Nigeria.

@DubaiPrince: From my little knowledge about the cost of living in Sydney (almost everyone complains about the cost of living), it won't be easy for a family of five to live comfortably (at least using your current standard) on A$85000. To live at your current standard, either madam stays in Nigeria or work in Australia. If you really desire it, it should be for the aim of PR then citizenship which will require great sacrifices. Looking at it further, madam staying in Nigeria is the best while you slug it in Australia and achieve PR status (my opinion) but it is your decision to make. Look at it from a five-year projection.

Best wishes in your decision.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by healthserve(m): 1:53pm On Sep 23, 2019
Gerrard59:

Every time I see this on social media, I cringe! He's not spending naira in Australia and as such cannot used as a harbinger to relocate. This cut across moving from a developing country to a developed country. Even a developed place like Switzerland get eyebrows raised due to its high cost of living for citizens of other developed countries let alone Nigeria.

@DubaiPrince: From my little knowledge about the cost of living in Sydney (almost everyone complains about the cost of living), it won't be easy for a family of five to live comfortably (at least using your current standard) on A$85000. To live at your current standard, either madam stays in Nigeria or work in Australia. If you really desire it, it should be for the aim of PR then citizenship which will require great sacrifices. Looking at it further, madam staying in Nigeria is the best while you slug it in Australia and achieve PR status (my opinion) but it is your decision to make. Look at it from a five-year projection.

Its not a contest. Learn to pass contributions without putting down that of others. I didn't see where the winner of the best comment takes home a prize. Shior
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:27pm On Sep 23, 2019
Gerrard59:

Very true bro but he can live in some very cheap ghetto crime ridden area FAR AWAY from the CBD (aka areas around of blacktown)... and he will find cheap rent there, at the expense of his safety and paying extreme amount to get to Sydney center.
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by Gerrard59(m): 8:53pm On Sep 23, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

Very true bro but he can live in some very cheap ghetto crime ridden area FAR AWAY from the CBD (aka areas around of blacktown)... and he will find cheap rent there, at the expense of his safety and paying extreme amount to get to Sydney center

shocked

Na so Sydney dangerous? But the Economist, Mercer and Monocle have always listed her and Melbourne as some of the world's livable cities. Chai!

BTW, any particular reason (from your experience) why Japanese cities and Singapore are amongst the world's safest places?

1 Like

Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by dubaiprince: 6:44am On Sep 24, 2019
Gerrard59:

Thanks a lot! I will ignore the offer for now. Cos madam no even wan understand. Lol. Me and my husband things. We will just do any of all these pronvincial nominations in Canada and Australia for us to be flying in occasionally. Maybe Then, madam may consider that I work there alone for some time or we are lucky enough to both have jobs. cos truth be told, I don't want to leave My Job for an environment where myself and/or family won't be comfortable. I have sought the opinion of my pastor who is a father figure and his advice is in sync with what most people have said here. I can accurately forecast a 5 year plan here in Nigeria. It's not all gloom and doom here but what the future holds with the way our resources are managed leaves one with no choice than to have a back up in form of a second nationality. Thank you all and God bless.
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by ednut1(m): 7:22am On Sep 24, 2019
dubaiprince:

Thanks a lot! I will ignore the offer for now. Cos madam no even wan understand. Lol. Me and my husband things. We will just do any of all these pronvincial nominations in Canada and Australia for us to be flying in occasionally. Maybe Then, madam may consider that I work there alone for some time or we are lucky enough to both have jobs. cos truth be told, I don't want to leave My Job for an environment where myself and/or family won't be comfortable. I have sought the opinion of my pastor who is a father figure and his advice is in sync with what most people have said here. I can accurately forecast a 5 year plan here in Nigeria. It's not all gloom and doom here but what the future holds with the way our resources are managed leaves one with no choice than to have a back up in form of a second nationality. Thank you all and God bless.
are u sure u work in a big 4 Cos from what you wrote you are a manager. You must have ex colleagues there you can ask.
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by ednut1(m): 7:24am On Sep 24, 2019
Gerrard59:

shocked

Na so Sydney dangerous? But the Economist, Mercer and Monocle have always listed her and Melbourne as some of the world's livable cities. Chai!

BTW, any particular reason (from your experience) why Japanese cities and Singapore are amongst the world's safest places?
there is no city without crime ridden areas. U are more likely to be robbed in ayobo than vgc.
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by pocohantas(f): 8:46am On Sep 24, 2019
Gerrard59:

@Duba iPrince: From my little knowledge about the cost of living in Sydney (almost everyone complains about the cost of living), it won't be easy for a family of five to live comfortably (at least using your current standard) on A$85000. To live at your current standard, either madam stays in Nigeria or work in Australia. If you really desire it, it should be for the aim of PR then citizenship which will require great sacrifices. Looking at it further, madam staying in Nigeria is the best while you slug it in Australia and achieve PR status (my opinion) but it is your decision to make. Look at it from a five-year projection.

I knew you were not going to miss that conversion. That thing dey pain you ehn...

Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by dubaiprince: 8:54am On Sep 24, 2019
ednut1:
are u sure u work in a big 4 Cos from what you wrote you are a manager. You must have ex colleagues there you can ask.

Yes I am sure lol. There are some big 4 firms in Nigeria where the total package of an assistant manager is above 10m (at least I am sure of 2). Yes I have sought opinion of some colleagues that left like 4 years back cos those ones have more experience than those that left last year and this year. And the advice from most of them is to wait till I become a manager to negotiate for something higher cos working on an employer sponsored Visa has it shortfalls. I was told the sponsored visa is peculiar to an employer and if you want to resign and remain in the country, you must get another employer who is immediately ready to sponsor you. So most of the employers take the opportunity to place u on something like a permanent contract where the salary barely increases till when the visa is due for renewal. That's why PR status is still the best. An employee sponsored visa will further boost your PR application though.
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by TimoBriggs: 9:18am On Sep 24, 2019
You asked for candid advice. Here it is, from, as close to Sydney as possible. The decision is ultimately yours and would suggest you should take any suggestion you get from anyone as relative if you wanna chart your part. On only 85K AUD a yr, You will just be `there` with a family of 5 . Your minimum living requirement for a family of that size is 72 m2 -90 m2 and for Suburbs as far as 20 km from the CBD will set you back around 3k a month. Your income after tax will hover around 5.2 - 5.5k a month, so a huge chunk is gone. your kids are quite young except they all stay at home, becos you will be unable to afford pre-school which the cheapest is about 40AUD a day per child. Kids start pry school by 5, and without a PR you won't also get `free` pry education. Electricity, Gas, Transport and Internet costs are substantial in Sydney so are Consumer goods and groceries when you factor kids needs. it also difficult for me to see if how you would add comfort in covering all your bills let alone having any disposable income every month. So ensure you do a proper plan. It's only a livable income though. Sydney is not a city where one of the parents work. You both have to, FAST. I mean ASAP.

dubaiprince:

3 Likes

Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by healthserve(m): 9:20am On Sep 24, 2019
What matters is doing what one wants to do. When skepticisms start coming into the picture, one convinces oneself to not carry out a preplanned action. There's always a way if we thrust forward with our actions. I feel its 85% go, to me personally o.
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by dubaiprince: 9:37am On Sep 24, 2019
healthserve:
What matters is doing what one wants to do. When skepticisms start coming into the picture, one convinces oneself to not carry out a preplanned action. There's always a way if we thrust forward with our actions. I feel its 85% go, to me personally o.

Thanks a lot. I perfectly understand. Life is about taking risks but in these times, one needs to calculate these risks. Taking calculated risks brought me to where I am today. I really need to be more careful this time as I have 4 innocent lives depending on me (My wife is make plans to be financially independent again after she had to leave a job owing her almost a year salary)
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by healthserve(m): 9:38am On Sep 24, 2019
dubaiprince:

Thanks a lot. I perfectly understand. Life is about taking risks but in these times, one needs to calculate these risks. Taking calculated risks brought me to where I am today. I really need to be more careful this time as I have 4 innocent lives depending on me (My wife is make plans to be financially independent again after she had to leave a job owing her almost a year salary)

Its easy. Travel alone, after three months you'll get yourself settled in and then send for them
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by TimoBriggs: 9:56am On Sep 24, 2019
You call this Skepticism for a married man with 3 kids ? He isnt a bloke just fresh out of school or a bachelor just starting out. A number of happily married families in Naija move over and get found out because of assumptions, leading to depression and desperation. The state provides no support for someone without a PR/Citizen. You already have got the potential from your posts and I see no reason why a company in Sydney shouldnt be able to pay at least 120k AUD.

healthserve:
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by healthserve(m): 10:00am On Sep 24, 2019
TimoBriggs:
You call this Skepticism for a married man with 3 kids ? He isnt a bloke just fresh out of school or a bachelor just starting out. A number of happily married families in Naija move over and get found out because of assumptions, leading to depression and desperation. The state provides no support for someone without a PR/Citizen. You already have got the potential from your posts and I see no reason why a company in Sydney shouldnt be able to pay at least 120k AUD.

There's always room for growth and increase

Yes, I call it too many skepticisms cause when we find reasons not to in life, we'll find it. There's no need to paint a gloom picture that's inaccurate, with the fresh out of school graduate, 85k per year isn't nothing, have you tried to convince the Op to negotiate a raise after a certain duration. I.e work two years and after then, get so so and so.

Furthermore, I look beyond the little angles, to the wider range, if his take home or pre-tax is 85,000. I'm sure there are allowances I.e. wardrobe, health, vehicle and the likes. Access to credit/finance/growth/exposure/new work challenges. Better education access for kids. Better welfare and environment for family. When all this is summed up Sir, with due respect, its not the average wnana travel deal and trumps the work offer in Nigeria. Many tines stability isn't remaining in familiar territory, but having an holistic look and then taking the bull by the horn.

To move forward, we must shed little or/and Needless skepticisms. While it shouldnt he a problem
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by TimoBriggs: 10:02am On Sep 24, 2019
Are you kidding me ? Three months ?? Three months would be like Three weeks for a new Aussie just come. OP seat with your family and consider all your options, and . do not underestimate the time you will need to settle. There's a waiting list for almost everything in Sydney: accommodation, education etc

healthserve:

Its easy. Travel alone, after three months you'll get yourself settled in and then send for them
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by healthserve(m): 10:03am On Sep 24, 2019
TimoBriggs:
Are you kidding me ? Three months ?? Three months would be like Three weeks for a new Aussie just come. OP seat with your family and consider all your options, and . do not underestimate the time you will need to settle. There's a waiting list for almost everything in Sydney: accommodation, education etc

Three months to know whatever chaos he's imagine is purely mental/psychological and differs from reality. Its fear that binds people Sir
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by TimoBriggs: 10:12am On Sep 24, 2019
@healthserve your points are noted. I will ignore the assertion that you tried to insinuate, I was painting a gloom pix for the OP. The decision is his, which was my first line. Thanks for the positivity

healthserve:

Three months to know whatever chaos he's imagine is purely mental/psychological and differs from reality. Its fear that binds people Sir
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by healthserve(m): 10:15am On Sep 24, 2019
TimoBriggs:
@healthserve your points are noted. I will ignore the assertion that you tried to insinuate, I was painting a gloom pix for the OP. The decision is his, which was my first line. Thanks for the positivity

Yw
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by dubaiprince: 10:31am On Sep 24, 2019
Thank you all. Please I don't want us to misunderstand ourselves. I know the various angles we all are coming from but Las las the decision is mine. I even negotiated to that 85000. And I am aware all the allowances are contained in the 85k. It's another Big four firm in Australia. Just like I mentioned earlier, most employers that sponsor visa place you on permanent contract which give little or no room for salary reviews at least from discussions held with colleagues over there (virtually all of them are single so they share most of all these basic expenses)
Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by Gerrard59(m): 10:48am On Sep 24, 2019
pocohantas:

I knew you were not going to miss that conversion. That thing dey pain you ehn...

Lol.

E dey pain me as it's simple economics not rocket science.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by DexterousOne(m): 1:50pm On Sep 24, 2019
Gerrard59:

I think this is good advice

1 Like

Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by ednut1(m): 1:56pm On Sep 24, 2019
dubaiprince:
Thank you all. Please I don't want us to misunderstand ourselves. I know the various angles we all are coming from but Las las the decision is mine. I even negotiated to that 85000. And I am aware all the allowances are contained in the 85k. It's another Big four firm in Australia. Just like I mentioned earlier, most employers that sponsor visa place you on permanent contract which give little or no room for salary reviews at least from discussions held with colleagues over there (virtually all of them are single so they share most of all these basic expenses)
i get your angle. same is happening in some channel island big 4s. if you intend leave you have incurred a loan payable over some time. as a family man i would not take it too but apply for my own PR. i know ex big 4 people who went to canada on 65 to 75 cad but with PR and have left for 100 to 110 CAD jobs. not cool to be tied down

1 Like

Re: Can A Family Of 5 Live Comfortably With 85000 AUD In Australia? by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:26pm On Sep 24, 2019
Gerrard59:

shocked

Yeah bro, some part of Sydney are not safe at all... as a stranger you will get robbed quick quick.. And with the drug problem they have, you always have zombies (aka junkies) looking for a quick score (anywhere in Sydney). Also remember you have so many gangs in Sydney (bikers, Arabs, East Europeans etc fighting for control of drug supply in Sydney) that there are places you best watch your back if going there. Cronulla for example, is Arab controlled. They run the streets of that area.... and if you dare mess with one, you will be a dead brotha

I think it has all to do with their culture, especially for Japan... Being respectful AND always doing right is a big deal in such places and stealing is almost non existent in their way of life or thought process because it's such a shameful thing to do (and shame is a big deal to them). They were brought up and taught to always do right in their lives) and they never fail.

Sadly, many crooked foreigners know that and therefore go to Japan to abuse such state of mind, by stealing these easy targets.
As I once wrote here:" If you forget anything anywhere in Japan, comes back the next day and 99% sure your stuff will be there SAFE and UNTOUCHED "

But don't get it twisted, there are big gangs in Tokyo (Nigerians/Israelis/iranis) but they all have to work under the protection of the yakuza...so it comes with such a code of honor that you rarely hear about it openly. Most Nigerians who own bar/clubs/restaurants in Roppongi (party district of tokyo) pay the yakuza every month to be able to have their biz, and if they don't, they will get dealt with and their place will be closed asap.

(1) (Reply)

Living In USA As A Student:questions And Concerns You May Have About Living Here / New In Kaduna! / Hong Kong, Anyone Please!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.