Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,953 members, 7,817,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns (765 Views)

Ondo Monarch, Oba Oloyede Adeyeoba Akinghare II Graduates From Secondary School / Ekiti: 3 Killed, Oba Bobade Adeleke Chased Out Over Ogun Festival (Photos) / New Facelift Of Palace Of Bini Kingdom.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 23, 2019
The traditional ruler of Ilara Mokin in the Ifedore Local Government Area of Ondo State , Oba Aderemi Adefehinti , who was chased of the palace , has returned and appealed to the youth of the town to allow peace to reign.
The monarch was a some days ago chased out of the palace by some youths of the community for allegedly not participating in the traditional new yam festival .

It was reported that the youth were infuriated by the failure of Oba Adefehinti to perform his royal function during the festival , following his claim of becoming a born again Christian .
As a result , the monarch and his wife were chased out of the palace by the protesting youths , who threw stones at the palace , injuring the king’ s spouse in the process .

Speaking at his palace after his return on Saturday, the traditional ruler said the Ijesu festival was the most important annual celebration for the sons and daughters of Ilara Mokin, but explained that he could not participate in it this year for obvious reasons.
Oba Adefehinti , who denied turning against the traditional festivals of the town after becoming a born again Christian , explained that as a result of his age , he no longer had the energy to dance and walk round the community as he used to .

He said , “ As I am advancing in age, I informed my people that I might not be able to lead them on the marathon dance round the town as the festival demands, which I have faithfully done over the past 21 years .

“ Secondly, we had to change the spot for the Idasu (yam harvesting); the reason for this is that the location we used to perform the ritual belongs to an individual , who wants to use his land for a building purpose ; the land was in the bush before , but physical development has caught up with it.

“ Now that we have got a new palace , I advised that we could be doing the
Idasu within the palace , which serves as a permanent site till the world ends . ”
According to him , all the chiefs agreed to the changes and called a town hall meeting of the community on September 11 , 2019 , two days before the new yam festival to inform the indigenes of the new development.

Noting that normalcy had returned to the community , the monarch said he was committed to the peace and progress of the town , and urged the sons and daughters to join hands with him to move Ilara Mokin forward.

https://punchng.com/ondo-monarch-chased-out-of-palace-returns/?fbclid=IwAR3q8wcRwPs0FPQiOGhkvpUj9Qmxhj1bcIJEj3EFJ2Lp2XPmlg7z6CQ1_3M
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 23, 2019
Please when did Yorubas start to celebrate New yam festival?
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by agwom(m): 10:22am On Sep 23, 2019
hmmm
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by gregyboy(m): 12:20pm On Sep 23, 2019
MelesZenawi:
Please when did Yorubas start to celebrate New yam festival?

Since benins introduced it to them
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 23, 2019
gregyboy:

Since benins introduced it to them

Are you sure?

Proof or if so that means Benin and Yorubas have so much in common.
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by gregyboy(m): 3:36pm On Sep 23, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Are you sure?

Proof or if so that means Benin and Yorubas have so much in common.

Benins celebrate yam festival during december month it is a celebration of new yam after the raining season the oba gets to celebrate it first before the commoners
All other tribes who celebrate yam festival was once under the benin control
Like onitsha ,Delta, ekiti ,ondo
And later spread to other nearby states who likes and adopt the culture
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 23, 2019
gregyboy:

Benins celebrate yam festival during december month it is a celebration of new yam after the raining season the oba gets to celebrate it first before the commoners
All other tribes who celebrate yam festival was once under the benin control
Like onitsha ,Delta, ekiti ,ondo
And later spread to other nearby states who likes and adopt the culture

Explain more please
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by gregyboy(m): 3:49pm On Sep 23, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Explain more please

Go read igue festival online then do your own research on city's around nigeria that celebrate yam festival.... And its originattion it will help bettet
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by Nobody: 4:03pm On Sep 23, 2019
gregyboy:

Go read igue festival online then do your own research on city's around nigeria that celebrate yam festival.... And its originattion it will help bettet

Your research is centered on Benin not stretched.

Igue festival is more of Benin history not purely yam festival.

I might agree ondo, ekiti may have stolen igue or whatever from you but others am sorry to outrightly disagree.
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by gregyboy(m): 6:13pm On Sep 23, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Your research is centered on Benin not stretched.

Igue festival is more of Benin history not purely yam festival.

I might agree ondo, ekiti may have stolen igue or whatever from you but others am sorry to outrightly disagree.

Culture is dynamic ....someone start it ,and others who like it follow ....just like the coral beads from benin is been worn in nigeria as a universal bead by all royalty in southern part of nigeria ....would you say because onni of ifes wears coral beads then ooni inventeded it .... Onitsha as a vasal state under benin could have spread the yam festival of the benins through social interaction with other eastern tribes then it continues just like that

The bottom line is culture is wide spread in years to come all cultures in nigeria will merge and they will be no distinct from another....
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 23, 2019
gregyboy:

Culture is dynamic ....someone start it ,and others who like it follow ....just like the coral beads from benin is been worn in nigeria as a universal bead by all royalty in southern part of nigeria ....would you say because onni of ifes wears coral beads then ooni inventeded it .... Onitsha as a vasal state under benin could have spread the yam festival of the benins through social interaction with other eastern tribes then it continues just like that

The bottom line is culture is wide spread in years to come all cultures in nigeria will merge and they will be no distinct from another....

And here you got it wrong.

Other kingdom has existed and has been practicing yam festival before onitsha came.

Onitsha been vassal to Benin is mere believe or assimilation and more like a sterotype passed on over years.

Benin might have seen such in other kingdoms and borrowed it during their period of conquest.

After all olden days warriors who like others traditions takes it as their own.

1 Like

Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by gregyboy(m): 10:04pm On Sep 23, 2019
MelesZenawi:

And here you got it wrong.

Other kingdom has existed and has been practicing yam festival before onitsha came.

Onitsha been vassal to Benin is mere believe or assimilation and more like a sterotype passed on over years.

Benin might have seen such in other kingdoms and borrowed it during their period of conquest.

After all olden days warriors who like others traditions takes it as their own.

Hmm...hmm i see youre an igbo

A prince migrated and became king in onitscha and implementt this cultures in onitscha they are words like
Iweka in onitscha and in Benin is eweka
If you have no tangible prove to disprove the fact then don't try and argue it ,because this

yam festival was born from a rainforest culture culture which happen to be in benin the raining season ends about nov or october then igue commense to celebrate a new yam festival and a new year..
If you want to pride yourself with igbotic ego then feel free to give your account with full prove and will i accept it untill then accept this

I dont see were you're going to argue from when the king in onitscha holds a Benin royal staff
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by Nobody: 10:53pm On Sep 23, 2019
gregyboy:

Hmm...hmm i see youre an igbo

A prince migrated and became king in onitscha and implementt this cultures in onitscha they are words like
Iweka in onitscha and in Benin is eweka
If you have no tangible prove to disprove the fact then don't try and argue it ,because this

yam festival was born from a rainforest culture culture which happen to be in benin the raining season ends about nov or october then igue commense to celebrate a new yam festival and a new year..
If you want to pride yourself with igbotic ego then feel free to give your account with full prove and will i accept it untill then accept this

I dont see were you're going to argue from when the king in onitscha holds a Benin royal staff

Iweka and eweka are two different meaning....So don't try to bring such logic of name correlarion, that's infatuation of lazy researchers who was just looking were to hook their lapses in finding results.

Before the arrival of said prince as I mentioned, kingdoms have been existing and new yam festival in existence. So is obvious the arrivees integrated and assimilated the culture of new yam festival. As far as kingdoms were existing before such arrival...your proof remains invalid.

Finally staff handed by who to who? Conquest of old might have changed political/cultural equations but not to that extreme.

please limit this your claim of influence and migration.

Why don't these people answer even at least one Benin name in the names...why all Igbo names.?

At Least each name suppose to bear at least one Benin name to show at least a relationship existed here before.

1 Like

Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by gregyboy(m): 3:55am On Sep 24, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Iweka and eweka are two different meaning....So don't try to bring such logic of name correlarion, that's infatuation of lazy researchers who was just looking were to hook their lapses in finding results.

Before the arrival of said prince as I mentioned, kingdoms have been existing and new yam festival in existence. So is obvious the arrivees integrated and assimilated the culture of new yam festival. As far as kingdoms were existing before such arrival...your proof remains invalid.

Finally staff handed by who to who? Conquest of old might have changed political/cultural equations but not to that extreme.

please limit this your claim of influence and migration.

Why don't these people answer even at least one Benin name in the names...why all Igbo names.?

At Least each name suppose to bear at least one Benin name to show at least a relationship existed here before.

Like the eko monarchs bear a benin name or ondo or england bear a roman name....

Your pride is foolish but before it will be acceptable disprove it first and don't be lazy creat a topic put your reaserch findings outside that swallow the bitter truth....

Because the benin monarch didn't bear a benin name doesn't make him not a benin man ....as soon as he is enthroned he loses is name and bears another different name that he will be known with till he dies

Lastly the coral beads worn by the eastern men does that make coral beads come from the east and not benin ?
or the female traditional marriage wears in the east with red coral beads does it make the dressing pattern come from the east

Am not taking pride in this but if you are feel free to disprove it ...it will help instead of making claims
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by Nobody: 6:10am On Sep 24, 2019
gregyboy:

Like the eko monarchs bear a benin name or ondo or england bear a roman name....

Your pride is foolish but before it will be acceptable disprove it first and don't be lazy creat a topic put your reaserch findings outside that swallow the bitter truth....

Because the benin monarch didn't bear a benin name doesn't make him not a benin man ....as soon as he is enthroned he loses is name and bears another different name that he will be known with till he dies

Lastly the coral beads worn by the eastern men does that make coral beads come from the east and not benin ?
or the female traditional marriage wears in the east with red coral beads does it make the dressing pattern come from the east

Am not taking pride in this but if you are feel free to disprove it ...it will help instead of making claims

I have already disproved that, moreover eko or ondo bears or have similar names with Benin eg Tunde...this shows no matter what there existed an influence here before and I fully agree.

But over here, no such name or anything to show for such relationship, just a make up story believe to be true....Get my point.

If there exist any such influence, the people must have even the tinniest of Benin name here...like eko and others do not just a story believe to be so ...

1 Like

Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by gregyboy(m): 7:42am On Sep 24, 2019
MelesZenawi:

I have already disproved that, moreover eko or ondo bears or have similar names with Benin eg Tunde...this shows no matter what there existed an influence here before and I fully agree.

But over here, no such name or anything to show for such relationship, just a make up story believe to be true....Get my point.

If there exist any such influence, the people must have even the tinniest of Benin name here...like eko and others do not just a story believe to be so ...

Obi is kingship is similar to oba
Iweka is similar to eweka

It happened this man didnt migrate from benin directly but from one of ika regions of delta state where the obaship was existing
So he was already having an Igbo name but with an edo monarchy system
The said man never knew benin at all he only happened to have practise the Benin monarchy system which he learnt at his himetown in delta state
So when he got to onitscha he simply blended to the igbo part of delta state and enacted the edo monarchy system

Benin documented alot but no benin document reveal there had contact with onitscha people

Now this were I tell you culture is spread
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 24, 2019
gregyboy:

Obi is kingship is similar to oba
Iweka is similar to eweka

It happened this man didnt migrate from benin directly but from one of ika regions of delta state where the obaship was existing
So he was already having an Igbo name but with an edo monarchy system
The said man never knew benin at all he only happened to have practise the Benin monarchy system which he learnt at his himetown in delta state
So when he got to onitscha he simply blended to the igbo part of delta state and enacted the edo monarchy system

Benin documented alot but no benin document reveal there had contact with onitscha people

Now this were I tell you culture is spread

Let's start here

what is the meaning of eweka in Benin?
Re: Ondo Monarch Chased Out Of Palace, Returns by gregyboy(m): 8:06am On Sep 24, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Let's start here

what is the meaning of eweka in Benin?

Eweka is a benin name it has no meaning it was a coined name

Literally it was one of the oba names in Benin

(1) (Reply)

Who Will Wear The Crown On The Throne In Lafiagi Kwara State As The 14th Emir ? / How The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan Will Emerge / UK Returns Another Looted Artefacts To Oba Of Benin Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.