Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,903 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible (2492 Views)

Should I Divorce Or Remain Subjected To This Punishment For My Infidelity? / Married As A Virgin, Married For Love Yet..... / Pressure To Get Married (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by yazga: 1:58pm On Sep 23, 2019
Most women are subjected to pressure to get married as quickly as possible due to the popular idea in our society that women have expiry dates. I don't agree with this view.

Marriage is not the purpose of our existence. Marriage is over hyped. You need more than marriage to live a meaningful life. While marriage is a very good thing, it is not the only thing in life. So no woman should abandon her ambition and future because of marriage.

There is no difference between a man and woman. If men don't expire then women don't expire too. A woman should plan to acquire relevant skills that will make her independent and comfortable so that she will be able to enjoy life. Young women should have a strong focus on building capacity that will help them to survive the rigors of life in future.

A woman cannot expire while alive. A woman that has no future ambition or any relevant skill has already expired no matter how young she is. There are many young girls whose brains have been wired to focus on getting married to the extent that they are now like zombies. They make no effort towards self improvement or future ambitions. Marriage is meant to be a complement and not a foundation.

If as a woman your only worry is getting married and you are going around churches and ministries or taking any desperate measures so as to get married, just get it into your head that you are already expired. I believe that every woman has a destined husband and that everything will happen in the appointed time. So there is no need to rush.

Sit down and create a purpose for your life and work hard at achieving your ambition. Things have changed. Many women are the pillars of their family. Most of your friends who are married will not tell you how they are the ones footing the bills. If those women were not well prepared for life's challenges and had rushed into marriage just like that, they would have ended up frying akara and hawking pure water on the street.

Don't let anyone make you feel depressed just because of marriage. Marriage is good but without adequate preparation it can be a very difficult experience.

So while waiting for Mr. Right keep working on yourself and achieve the best you can be. You are limitless and wonderfully created.

BARRISTER Chidi Hope Ogudu
WOMEN rights advocate and DOMESTIC VIOLENCE COUNSELOR

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by amaham(m): 10:02pm On Sep 23, 2019
Tell that to an evening newspaper,. Ftc by the way

2 Likes

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by bukatyne(f): 10:23pm On Sep 23, 2019
@OP:

I totally disagree that women do not 'expire'. Men do, however at a later date.

The concept called biological clock is very real and the earlier a woman has her kids (early 20s ideally), the healthier they both are in addition to other benefits.

Moreover, it is better she has her kids and launch into her career (she stays there longer) than focus on her career and leave marriage for later.

The younger a woman is, the better placed she is to find a spouse that aligns with her goals if she knows herself. The easier it is to also build a relationship.

The lower her body count is, the easier is it to bond with her husband spiritually, emotionally, sexually and physically.

The goals of marriage are
1. companionship
2. Prevention of adultery
3. Building a continuous society by breeding moral kids

As such it is very important and should be considered as such.

And a true marriage has never stopped a woman from reaching her potential: it aids her to it.

Like they say 'two (good) heads are better than one'.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by Nobody: 10:30pm On Sep 23, 2019
bukatyne:
@OP:

The concept called biological clock is very real and the earlier a woman has her kids (early 20s ideally), the healthier they both are in addition to other benefits.

Moreover,

Everyone expires both Men and Women. Some people are only lucky that they aged really well.

As for biological clock, this is very true as women who give birth early usually look so great in their 30s and 40s.

1 Like

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by bukatyne(f): 10:33pm On Sep 23, 2019
Gosh, I dislike this interface.

1 Like

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by bukatyne(f): 10:34pm On Sep 23, 2019
truthsayer009:

Everyone expires both Men and Women. Some people are only lucky that they aged really well.

As for biological clock, this is very true as women who give birth early usually look so great in their 30s and 40s.

Very true.

I see people who have kids in their 20s.

In their forties, they are agile, done with child training and flexing.

4 Likes

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by liberalchick(f): 11:59pm On Sep 23, 2019
bukatyne:
@OP:

Moreover, it is better she has her kids and launch into her career (she stays there longer) than focus on her career and leave marriage for later.

The younger a woman is, the better placed she is to find a spouse that aligns with her goals if she knows herself. The easier it is to also build a relationship.

The lower her body count is, the easier is it to bond with her husband spiritually, emotionally, sexually and physically.

1. companionship

And a true marriage has never stopped a woman from reaching her potential: it aids her to it.

Men and women expire when they die not before. A woman’s biological clock/fertility shouldn’t determine her worth. Is an infertile teenager ‘expired’? Women are not products with a shelf life.

Getting married and having kids, especially if you’ll be a hands on mom can derail you. The OP is saying while being married can be a beautiful thing, we shouldn’t let it define us.

@ the bolded, it’s being single that prevents adultery.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by olabrinks(f): 12:53am On Sep 24, 2019
I’m sorry but not all women are destined to be career women. Self accomplishments are very personal, and what might seem silly to another might be huge to others. To some women, raising children in a stable marital home is their biggest achievement in life. They are happy and fulfilled with that and nobody can take that away from them. They might decide to have a small business on the side but taking care of their home is their biggest career. They are happy. Some career women are forever unfulfilled chasing insatiable dreams. It all depends on the individual. Let everyone do what makes them happy.

17 Likes

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by liberalchick(f): 12:58am On Sep 24, 2019
True, I agree 100% and some career women are also fulfilled and happy with their choice. At the end of the day society should allow women choose without any backlash or use of derogatory words like “expire”.

olabrinks:
I’m sorry but not all women are destined to be career women. Self accomplishments are very personal, and what might seem silly to another might be huge to others. To some women, raising children in a stable marital home is their biggest achievement in life. They are happy and fulfilled with that and nobody can take that away from them. They might decide to have a small business on the side but taking care of their home is their biggest career. They are happy. Some career women are forever unfulfilled chasing insatiable dreams. It all depends on the individual. Let everyone do what makes them happy.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by Magnoliaa(f): 4:34am On Sep 24, 2019
bukatyne:
@OP:

1. companionship

I feel you're describing a 'perfect' woman who has everything in place.

There are so many things to consider: her maturity and mental/emotional health. How healthy is she in those aspects to be in a marriage and raise kids? How many people know themselves when they are young?

Not everyone wants kids, also.

And financial stability.

There are cases where marriage has hindered women from being themselves truly and going after their dreams/career.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by ifyalways(f): 4:41am On Sep 24, 2019
olabrinks:
Co-signed.

9 Likes

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by Chubhie: 7:52am On Sep 24, 2019
bukatyne:
@OP:

1. companionship

With your three listed goals of marriage, Looking at today's observable reality, it's evident that the goals have been subdued and defeated. Why do we still hammer and re-enforce failure? Is this goalpost of marriage not overdue for shifting?
Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by yazga: 9:09am On Sep 24, 2019
truthsayer009:

Not ture
Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by yazga: 9:12am On Sep 24, 2019
THIS IS ACTUALLY TRUE
Magnoliaa:

I feel you're describing a 'perfect' woman who has everything in place.

There are so many things to consider: her maturity and mental/emotional health. How healthy is she in those aspects to be in a marriage and raise kids? How many people know themselves when they are young?

Not everyone wants kids, also.

And financial stability.

There are cases where marriage has hindered women from being themselves truly and going after their dreams/career.

2 Likes

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by missjo(f): 11:29am On Sep 24, 2019
olabrinks:
Nothing more to add on this topic cool

3 Likes

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 24, 2019

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by Belafonte(m): 3:22pm On Sep 24, 2019
This might help...

Risks of Pregnancy Over Age 30

Many women wait until later in life to have children. In the United States, birth rates for women in their 30s are at the highest levels in 4 decades. But an older mother may be at increased risk for things such as:

Miscarriage

Birth defects

Twins

High blood pressure

Gestational diabetes

Difficult labor

Some studies show that while there is a higher risk of pregnancy problems in older women, their babies may not have more problems than babies of younger women. This is more likely when women get prenatal care and give birth in a healthcare facility ready to care for high-risk mothers and babies.

Risk for chromosome problems

The risk for chromosome problems increases with the mother's age. The chance of having a child with Down syndrome increases over time. The risk is about 1 in 1,250 for a woman who conceives at age 25. It increases to about 1 in 100 for a woman who conceives at age 40. The risks may be higher. This is because many statistics only report live births. They do not note pregnancies with chromosome problems that ended due to pregnancy loss.

After having 1 child with Down syndrome, the chance of having another baby with Down syndrome is higher. After age 40, the recurrence risk for Down syndrome is based on the age of the mother at delivery. Most babies with Down syndrome are born to women under the age of 35. This is because women under the age of 35 have more babies than women over 35.

Risk for miscarriage
Some studies have shown a higher chance of miscarriage (early pregnancy loss) in older mothers. For all women, about half of first trimester miscarriages happen because of a chromosome problem in the baby. The risk of chromosome problems increase with the mother’s age. So miscarriage is also more likely.

https://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en/topic/default?id=pregnancy-over-age-30-90-P02481
Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by djon78(m): 6:42pm On Sep 24, 2019
olabrinks:

Gbam
You spoke well
There was a mega church I used to attend in lekki then. You will see plenty women with good jobs advanced in age, but no husband. They will be trying to hook up to Church brothers, but those brothers will go outside and marry younger women.
Honestly a time came the pastor was really concerned.
I used to be seriously worried and concerned about these ladies. But you see they were concerned about building there career and making money in there younger years when they should have hooked up a husband.

Now they have the careers, money but no husband.

I remember my sisters then, did good courses in uni, 2 doctors, one did linguistic.
They graduated around 24 23 22.
My mum insisted that once they graduated, marriage sharp.

Today they have finished child bearing, average age of 35 37 33, slaying and catching fun. One is in UK doing post graduate fellowship, the other lives in Canada with husband and children as a PR. The one in Nigeria her first son has entered secondary school, the other two kids primary 4 & 5. Doing very well as a career woman, earning good pay

A lot of there sets and classmates are not married up to today. Infact when my sisters were marrying they said they were rushing into marriage early.
One was a big girl, worked in bank treasury in a head quarter of bank, making crazy money, but she is still single till today

3 Likes

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by MiseryHimself: 2:38pm On Sep 26, 2019
bukatyne:
@OP:

1. companionship

Do you agree that marriage is meant for a woman by default? If yes, could you expatiate the reasoning behind that?

With this your thought pattern hmm, you seem to be a woman who would forgo career for her family? I hope the spirit responsible is gone: I asked you a question on your marital status but the spirit responsible possessed you.
Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 26, 2019
I always like to understand what situation people are in before they talk on issues like this.

Ask a lady in her forties without a husband what she thinks about early marriage and you will understand. If you are married yourself with kids and settled you cannot know what ladies in their 40s without a family are going through.

Ever here in north America majority of women in their 40s that I have met are always eager to start a family and settle down.

There are a very few ladies though that would feel fulfilled without a family, but thats a very tiny percentage.

When people come around to make it look like thats the norm then we have a problem, I was dating a 34year old established lady here abroad, a Nigerian who had her career and everything going for her, when I figured out she was not the kind of person I wanted to marry and told her I was done with the whole thing, she called me crying and threatened to kill herself.

She was so distressed and I was so worried for her, people may pretend that they are okay but trust me majority of women would prefer to have a stable family than a stable career but most of these people realise this quite late.

And I think men too should marry early, as a Yoruba man, if you are 30years and not married as a man that looks awkward although we know Igbo men marry very late. I have 40 year old Igbo single men who do not even feel any pressure.

1 Like

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by djon78(m): 3:13pm On Sep 26, 2019
calgaryFriend:
I always like to understand what situation people are in before they talk on issues like this.

Ask a lady in her forties without a husband what she thinks about early marriage and you will understand. If you are married yourself with kids and settled you cannot know what ladies in their 40s without a family are going through.

Ever here in north America majority of women in their 40s that I have met are always eager to start a family and settle down.

There are a very few ladies though that would feel fulfilled without a family, but thats a very tiny percentage.

When people come around to make it look like thats the norm then we have a problem, I was dating a 34year old established lady here abroad, a Nigerian who had her career and everything going for her, when I figured out she was not the kind of person I wanted to marry and told her I was done with the whole thing, she called me crying and threatened to kill herself.

She was so distressed and I was so worried for her, people may pretend that they are okay but trust me majority of women would prefer to have a stable family than a stable career but most of these people realise this quite late.

And I think men too should marry early, as a Yoruba man, if you are 30years and not married as a man that looks awkward although we know Igbo men marry very late. I have 40 year old Igbo single men who do not even feel any pressure

Don't mind those deceiving themselves. I have come across some of those Ladies, its a very painful experience. Even men who marry very late also feel bad although they can still marry younger women and have children. Talk less of women.
That's why I don't like boys coming online to call these women evening newspaper. Its a very bad thing to mock someone's unfortunate condition.

I always advice younger women use your attractive years when men revolve around you, find someone responsible and marry.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by liberalchick(f): 3:17pm On Sep 26, 2019
calgaryFriend:

And I think men too should marry early, as a Yoruba man, if you are 30years and not married as a man that looks awkward although we know Igbo men marry very late. I have 40 year old Igbo single men who do not even feel any pressure.

You know the bolded because??

9 Likes

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 26, 2019
liberalchick:

Because very few women like to be tossed around from men to men.
I understand some dont have a problem with that, but most women once they start aging will prioritise security/stability over career excellence.
The kind of security or stability that a home brings....

I am not a kid myself and have mixed quite well with different cultures, its the same trend.

I currently join a singles group of matured adults for bible study every other week and I can tell you a great majority of supposed single and happy women in their forties would rather have things be turned around. And I am not talking about Africans, I am talking of caucasians ...
Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 26, 2019
To each his or her own.

4 Likes

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by desvi: 6:37pm On Sep 26, 2019
calgaryFriend:

Because very few women like to be tossed around from men to men.
I understand some dont have a problem with that, but most women once they start aging will prioritise security/stability over career excellence.
The kind of security or stability that a home brings....

I am not a kid myself and have mixed quite well with different cultures, its the same trend.

I currently join a singles group of matured adults for bible study every other week and I can tell you a great majority of supposed single and happy women in their forties would rather have things be turned around. And I am not talking about Africans, I am talking of caucasians ...

yeah, they are all so unhappy and have been confiding in you
and all the married ladies live a blissful life
if life was so simple

5 Likes

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by desvi: 6:38pm On Sep 26, 2019
liberalchick:

his Bible study group told him smiley

2 Likes

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by spencekat(m): 7:28pm On Sep 26, 2019
calgaryFriend:

Igbo men of those days.Most Igbo men now get married quite earlier(28-31)
Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by mrwonlasewonie: 8:23pm On Sep 26, 2019
amaham:
Tell that to an evening newspaper,. Ftc by the way
why can't you use your brain for once?

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by Nobody: 11:10pm On Sep 26, 2019
desvi:

yeah, they are all so unhappy and have been confiding in you
and all the married ladies live a blissful life
if life was so simple
Yeah they all openly discuss it, Oyinbo people life dey very simple.
When we all meet, we start by talking about how our last 2 weeks went.
Oyinbo people will even tell you they are expecting a baby, I mean someone who is just like 1 month pregnant.
Even the person who doesn't like her daughters boyfriend will talk about it very openly......
Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by desvi: 5:34am On Sep 27, 2019
calgaryFriend:

Yeah they all openly discuss it, Oyinbo people life dey very simple.
When we all meet, we start by talking about how our last 2 weeks went.
Oyinbo people will even tell you they are expecting a baby, I mean someone who is just like 1 month pregnant.
Even the person who doesn't like her daughters boyfriend will talk about it very openly......

and that qualifies you to claim that you know that majority of single ladies suffer?
oh please
how many married women suffer?
rubbish

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Women Are Subjected To Pressure To Get Married As Quickly As Possible by yazga: 8:40am On Oct 02, 2019
wink
theButterfly:
To each his or her own.

(1) (Reply)

Married People Experience On The People They Married That Wasn't their choice / An Attitude Of Gratitude / How Should She Handle Her BIL?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.