Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

A Nigerian Student Accused Of Rape In American University - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / A Nigerian Student Accused Of Rape In American University (248 Views)

Trump: New York Expands Legal Defnition Of Rape, Includes Nonconsensual Contact / Boris Johnson Accused Of Racial Stereotyping With View On Nigerians / ‘Pinch Me!’ - Vladimir Putin To Nigerian Student Who Was Bemused (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Nigerian Student Accused Of Rape In American University by drakeli: 10:29pm On Sep 24, 2019
TOWSON, Md. (WBFF) - A Towson University student is accused of raping another student. Baltimore County Police say it happened on campus in the suspect’s dorm room.

Investigators say the suspect is 20-year-old Onyekachukwu “Onyek” Igwilo. He was in jail Monday 23/09/2019 held without bail pending a bail review hearing Tuesday.

Police say Igwilo invited the victim to his room at Marshall Hall to watch a movie Sunday afternoon when soon, his unwanted advances toward the woman escalated.

“He continued until the point he held her down and then raped her. After that, he refused to let her leave initially, but then eventually did let her leave,“ said Ofc. Jennifer Peach, a spokesperson for the Baltimore County Police Department.

The woman called campus police, who alerted county police. Officers say they found the woman with a large bruise around her throat. They immediately arrested Igwilo.

Students who’ve heard the news are stunned by the allegations.

“You know, I always heard crazy stories that happened at every campus, typical stories, but this is the first I’ve heard about a rape,“ said Sami Sultana, a student who lives off campus.

According to the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network, rape on college campuses is not unusual. The group says more than 50% of college sexual assaults take place between August and November. The organization also says women ages 18 to 24 are three times more likely than women in general to experience sexual violence.

Back on campus at Towson, the allegations against Igwilo.

“That’s the lowest of the low. I don’t affiliate myself with any guy who thinks that it’s OK to advance beyond the point where a woman says no. Any dude who thinks that’s OK needs to really reevaluate themselves,“ said Tristian Whipple, while holding his girlfriend’s hand.

Police say the suspect and the victim met this summer through a group chat for new students. They began to hang out when school started and over the weekend, police say things turned violent.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/arrest-made-after-student-reports-rape-in-towson-u-dorm

(1) (Reply)

Why Are There So Many Europeans Among ISIS Fighters? / Report Suggests UK Is Looking To Abandon Its Alliance With Trump. / Iraqis Protested Against America Forces In Iraq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.