Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,107 members, 7,818,305 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared (25105 Views)

Video Of People Sweeping Naira Notes With Brooms At An Event In North (Pictures) / Nigerian Lady Fined For Attempting To Obtain A Ghana Card / Girl Stripped Naked In The Street For Stealing A Cell Phone In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by Nobody: 8:44am On Sep 26, 2019
A local council in northern Italy has cancelled a fine imposed on a Nigerian migrant for sweeping streets without permission.

The unemployed 29-year-old, named Monday, had decided to clean streets in the Venice suburb of Mestre instead of begging passersby for money.

He initially received a €350 ($383; £309) penalty. But protests led officials to withdraw it.

The fine also prompted an online appeal to raise money to pay it.

"I would like to integrate myself honestly in your society without asking for alms," he wrote on a cardboard sign, displayed nearby while he swept. "I will keep your street clean and ask only a contribution for my work."

In a Facebook post, Matteo D'Angelo - who started the online appeal - said the migrant had swept up "leaves that block the drains every time it rains, cigarette butts and all the rubbish that we civilised citizens throw on the ground.

"Woe betide a poor chap who tries to integrate himself," he added.

Monday's actions reportedly drew police attention after complaints from residents.

But the fine was withdrawn after police received four phone calls from other local residents who defended him.

Authorities said the fine had been given by officers who were new and inexperienced.

Immigration continues to be a controversial issue in Italy, where thousands of migrants have arrived in recent years.

Last week, Italy and France called for a new system to automatically redistribute migrants across the European Union.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49831755

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by dominique(f): 8:51am On Sep 26, 2019
One of the people that successfully crossed the Mediterranean. At least this one is not constituting nuisance like most of his African counterparts there. Nothing beats legal migration sha

114 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by JasonScoolari: 8:57am On Sep 26, 2019
Authorities said the fine had been given by officers who were new and inexperienced.

OR the fine had been given by officers who are full blown RACIST...

A very special migrant decide to keep your city clean and the best way you could reward him is by giving him a €350 fine?

If this is not a Racist tendency, I don't know what other name to call it then.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by Born2Breed(f): 9:00am On Sep 26, 2019
Honest man doing a honest job. Unlike most people in Italy that dress up every morning to go out begging. Some with their kids.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by Lekison(m): 9:20am On Sep 26, 2019
Eyah....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by ValCon888: 10:32am On Sep 26, 2019
I'm impressed by his style. Although he is an illegal immigrant, he has dignity for his person.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:32am On Sep 26, 2019
But the fine was withdrawn after police received four phone calls from other local residents who defended him.
This is a society that works.
We pray we get there too in our darling nation.
The foundation destroyed is being built gradually.

"I would like to integrate myself honestly in your society without asking for alms," he wrote on a cardboard sign, displayed nearby while he swept. "I will keep your street clean and ask only a contribution for my work."
As long as this is more better than some animals soiling the country's name abroad,
We hope he finds a better job to do as long as he is not an amputee and he can take this as a part-time job to better the society he lives in, if he so wishes.
He can't be doing this on a permanent basis abroad and waiting for what motorists give him.
Mba!
Well, at the end....every man do what makes them happy!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by leasdysua: 10:32am On Sep 26, 2019
shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by orunmila144: 10:33am On Sep 26, 2019
mad man. I am sure if you ask him to sweep streets in naija he will slap you

21 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 26, 2019
My advice to the EU is not to stop migrants from coming into their country, rather to harness their energy and use them for cheaper labour as most of the migrants crossing the Mediterranean come from very harsh backgrounds and wouldn't mind working hard for something tangible at least...

Let them look at those jobs like agriculture, sanitation etc and integrate these migrants and see if their economy won't receive a boost.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by ednut1(m): 10:33am On Sep 26, 2019
Avoid illegal immigration to italy. After all the risk person no fit even see menial job do

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by ekestic1976(f): 10:34am On Sep 26, 2019
God bless your hustle, bro. This is what we meant when we claimed to DEVELOP other places, but the world is so daft to understand. Somebody tell me - isn't it biblical loving your neighbour more than yourself?
Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by Idsoft: 10:34am On Sep 26, 2019
The dude has arrived finally

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by ursullalinda(f): 10:34am On Sep 26, 2019
grin Oyibo get plenty wahala, see free cleaner still fine am.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 26, 2019
the guy may soon become a legal resident.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 26, 2019
grin...... Even at his Jobless level ! His village people refused to let live his Jobless Life abroad grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by A305: 10:35am On Sep 26, 2019
The guy is smart. Gaining recognition in Italy as an imigrant will make life in Italy easy for him and can't be deported. But see my siggy

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by IamR: 10:35am On Sep 26, 2019
JasonScoolari:

OR the fine had been given by officers who are full blown RACIST...

A very special migrant decide to keep your city clean and the best way you could reward him is by giving him a €350 fine?

If this is not a Racist tendency, I don't know what other name to call it then.

I wonder o!
Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by slawomir: 10:35am On Sep 26, 2019
Okay
Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by grandstar(m): 10:36am On Sep 26, 2019
Italy has high unemployment caused by rigid labour laws. Just imagine for a minute if government enforced the 30,000 minimum wage? Millions of people will lose their jobs.

Rigid labour laws makes it costly to hire and fire workers and therefore countries with them tend to have high unemployment rates. Countries with flexible labour laws such as the US and UK have much lower unemployment rates, so low at times, what they really have is full employment and a tight labour market where getting workers can be tough

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by helphelp: 10:36am On Sep 26, 2019
Na wa ooo
Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by opportunes: 10:36am On Sep 26, 2019
Is a must for me to travel out of Nigeria? even though things are working well.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by able20(m): 10:37am On Sep 26, 2019
Born2Breed:
Honest man doing a honest job,unlike most people in Italy that dress up every morning to go out begging,some with their kids.
Bambialah another man country, they also claim to be nigerians living in the diaspora.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by marvelous000: 10:37am On Sep 26, 2019
orunmila144:
mad man. I am sure if you ask him to sweep streets in naija he will slap you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by AmazingELixir: 10:38am On Sep 26, 2019
shocked shocked shocked

Wow! The length at which certain Nigerians will go just to eke out a living.

I can bet this same man will never dream of doing same in his country......, after spending all the money for flight ticket and visa processing (that's ofcourse if he didn't pass through Libya) he ended up sweeping the streets of Italy unsolicited, constituting nuisance and further battering our already comatose reputation.

Its well

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by Asowebdesign: 10:38am On Sep 26, 2019
I'd rather stay back in my country and suffer with my country men than travel to another man's country illegally

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Italy Gets Fined For Sweeping The Street For Money, Fine Ge Cleared by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 26, 2019
Na wa oo

Get your verified and activated Wechat and Alipay wallet

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Kidnapped My Lover To Raise Money For Our Wedding – Suspect Confesses / Mother-of-3 Arrested For Staging Her Kidnap With Her Boyfriend . / Police Killed My Husband For Rejecting Special Duty — Wife Of Kwara Inspector

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.