Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,427 members, 7,958,277 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 11:46 AM

Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? (831 Views)

Synthetic Marijuana Is So Risky, See Why / Covenant University Dropout Shares Story Of How Marijuana Is Ruining His Life / Science Proves That Marijuana Is Safer Than Prescription Drugs! Here Is Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by AmuDimpka: 3:35pm On Sep 28, 2019
Luxembourg and maybe Holland took the lead in Europe to ensure that their citizens smoke marijuana in peace! These are the most stable countries in Western Europe and also the countries with lowest crime rate. So do we say weed causes deviant behaviour. Weed is seen as medicinal in some advanced countries and this has prompted Nigerians to as simple question; why don't we revisit the legality of marijuana in the country?

Deemed an illicit drug by the law, it had always been an offense in Nigeria to smoke marijuana, and it has largely been frowned upon by society. Nigeria is a largely traditional and very conservative society with an overwhelming majority religious, so the issue of marijuana and legality becomes a huge burden on the shoulders of modernists and a taboo topic for the aged, religious and possibly parents. We can pretend, act or form that marijuana is bad, yes, to an extend but do we pretend that  it lacks medical benefits especially for cancer patients and other terminally ill ones amongst us? Do we watch these members of the society suffer and sacrifice them on the altar of conservatism?

Today we have medical marijuana! A new term that allow folks smoke weed, according to a report by The National Institute of Drug Abuse. United States, puts it this way "The term medical marijuana refers to using the whole, unprocessed marijuana plant or its basic extracts to treat symptoms of illness and other conditions. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not recognized or approved the marijuana plant as medicine."

According to an online site, Drugs.com it defined it this way "Cannabis, also called marijuana, pot, weed, or hash, is a drug that comes from the cannabis sativa (hemp plant). The medicinal use of cannabis is also called medical marijuana. The whole plant or its extracts can be used to control or relieve medical or mental health conditions. The effects may start right away and last for 3 to 4 hours. Cannabis may be taken in the form of a pill, capsule, oil, or mouth spray. Cannabis can also be smoked, baked into food, or made into tea."

If you have had a relative that had cancer, you would know the pains , I have had that on a personal basis and it is so hurtful seeing the person you so much love in pains and yet you just can't do anything. This is the most devastating effects that one can feel. The pharmaceutical firms are still dilly dallying on the cure for cancer and we don't even know what causes it ? Such a crazy thing! Maybe the big pharmaceutical firms are cool with the funds and the profit they are making from the ailment or possibly it is not in their priority list to find a cure but here we have mother nature to the rescue .Weed! Marijuana, wee wee and Endo ! These are the names we call it here in Nigeria !

Countries are legalising marijuana, in Africa , countries like South Africa. In the developed world, countries  like Canada and So0me areas in the US  have areas that one can "get high" nicely and  in peace. Regulations vary across Canada’s 10 provinces and three territories. For instance, those in Ontario can only purchase weed online via the government-run Ontario Cannabis Store, whereas in Saskatchewan, only licensed private retail stores can sell pot. Uruguay became the first country to fully legalize marijuana in 2013 and last year began allowing sales in local pharmacies . Other countries like Spain, Holland, USA, in Australia, Britain and other countries , there are areas that weed is legalised and some categorised them as a Class C drug.

Bring it back home, in Nigeria do we do the weed thing? We can't pretend that we don't have smokers and neither do we pretend that we don't have planters and exporters ! But what we can't pretend is that we are losing revenue from regulations and the drug agencies must start looking at a multi billion Naira market here!

People have been inundated of the efficacy of weed and the developed world , especially in the  United States are cashing in on the revenue that accrues from it, is weed now legal? aA state in USA, Colorado is topping the chart in revenues from weed. Lately, Colorado passes $1 billion in marijuana state revenue.

There have been medical research on weed and how it helps cancer patients. But, we are still in Nigeria and weed is not that accepted ! In short smoking weed is seen as a deviant act and Fela of the blessed memory was seen as a deviant but unfortunately for those that saw him as one , Fela was one of the finest cultural export in the country ! So do weed smokers act funny ? That is a rhetorical question!

When we were in school they told us that weed is bad, we just stopped it, now we are out of school and they are telling us weed is cool and it cures a whole lot

Toady, a  lot have changed and these guys from the Western world are confusing us... We are at the cross road whether to smoke or not to smoke...even those that want to smoke, do they even know how to mold? What is our legislation on weed now that we have known the potency of weed in curing cancer.

"The intoxicating chemical in marijuana is tetrahydracannabinol, or THC. According to research from the Potency Monitoring Project, the average THC content of marijuana has soared from less than 1 percent in 1972, to 3 to 4 percent in the 1990s, to nearly 13 percent in 2010. Today, some retail marijuana has 30 percent THC or more. The increased potency makes it difficult to determine the short- and long-term effects of marijuana", Lauren Cox of Life Sciences opined.

https://etimes.com.ng/now-that-marijuana-is-getting-accepted-do-we-allow-our-kids-to-smoke/

Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by MetaPhysical: 3:43pm On Sep 28, 2019
Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by MetaPhysical: 3:49pm On Sep 28, 2019
Modified after topic was corrected.
Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by Blue3k(m): 4:00pm On Sep 28, 2019
MetaPhysical:
Mods please delete this thread immediately. This is not free speech, this is exploitation of minors.

This is not an exhaustive list...OPs post is illegal because his targets are "kids".

See below for definition of kid.

Dont get knickers in a twist. The context shows the authour is using kid to mean offspring or young person. You're your parents kid even though you're not a minor. The author is not advocating anyone break the law. The article is about changing marijuana laws. None of the countries mentioned have legal ages below 18.

2 Likes

Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by AmuDimpka: 4:27pm On Sep 28, 2019
Blue3k:

Dont get knickers in a twist. The context shows the authour is using kid to mean offspring or young person. You're your parents kid even though you're not a minor. The author is not advocating anyone break the law. The article is about changing marijuana laws. None of the countries mentioned have legal ages below 18.
e

He is one of the people the people the writer spoke about...the religious and the conservative ones

So that's why I didn't bother responding to him
Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by Blue3k(m): 4:35pm On Sep 28, 2019
AmuDimpka:

He is one of the people the people the writer spoke about...the religious and the conservative ones

Yeah he just over reacted to headline. I do wonder if marijuana legalization has any broad support. I would like a polling agency like NOI polls to conduct a survey but they're more interested in dry topics nobody would care to repost anywhere.

1 Like

Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by MetaPhysical: 4:39pm On Sep 28, 2019
Blue3k:

I gave definition of kid in its accepted usage to mean young child.

In many countries it is legal to have strip joints where adult female entertain and even include university students who use the income as means to finance education.

How would it sound if you see a topic calling for "kids" to be introduced to strip joints so they can help supplement their parents' income....or perharps begin early to save for college?

Give me your moral response.
Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by MetaPhysical: 4:42pm On Sep 28, 2019
AmuDimpka:

Thanks for correcting the topic and removing "kids".

That was my issue, im glad you got the point. Everything else is irrelevant.
Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by Blue3k(m): 4:45pm On Sep 28, 2019
MetaPhysical:

In many countries it is legal to have strip joints where adult female entertain and even include university students who use the income as means to finance education.

How would it sound if you see a topic calling for "kids" to be introduced to strip joints so they can help supplement their parents' income....or perharps begin early to save for college?

You're taking the definition literally when you know the context shows it differently. If you want continue that you're choice.

Its depends on what's in the article thst determines when I feel about topic. The title can be click bait or deceptive.

1 Like

Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by MetaPhysical: 4:54pm On Sep 28, 2019
Blue3k:

You're taking the definition literally when you know the context shows it differently. If you want continue that you're choice.

Its depends on what's in the article thst determines when I feel about topic. The title can be click bait or deceptive.

So why did OP correct the topic and took "kids" out? Its because he understood my point and the objection. It would not pass a "moral test", regardless of the semantics you want it to infer.
Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by redsun(m): 5:01pm On Sep 28, 2019
Like every other thing, you don't have the ability to grow good herbs, what you there is complete weed dust, crap. And the dangerous thing is most people are resorting to highly addictive spice in the name of skunk.
Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by Blue3k(m): 5:02pm On Sep 28, 2019
MetaPhysical:

So why did OP correct the topic and took "kids" out? Its because he understood my point and the objection. It would not pass a "moral test", regardless of the semantics you want it to infer.

No it because you threaten to tell on him. OP confirm or deny if you please. The original authors title still in link maybe you should contact editor if online paper aswell. Before analyzing morals one must first understand what's said by reading. Thats why every else understood what's being said. Notice it's a question to the reader.

"NOW THAT  MARIJUANA IS GETTING ACCEPTED, DO WE ALLOW OUR KIDS TO SMOKE?"

1 Like

Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by MetaPhysical: 5:18pm On Sep 28, 2019
Blue3k:

No it because you threaten to tell on him. OP confirm or deny if you please. The original authors title still in link maybe you should contact editor if online paper aswell. Before analyzing morals one must first understand what's said by reading. Thats why every else understood what's being said. Notice it's a question to the reader.

The context of my complaint was understood by the OP. He kept the material but changed topic and deleted kids. In my response I modified my objection and thanked him.

You are the one in the wilderness on the issue.

You are yet to respond to my challenge to you anyway. Give me your moral response in the analogy I gave. grin
Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by Blue3k(m): 5:26pm On Sep 28, 2019
MetaPhysical:

The context of my complaint was understood by the OP. He kept the material but changed topic and deleted kids. In my response I modified my objection and thanked him.

You are the one in the wilderness on the issue.

You are yet to respond to my challenge to you anyway. Give me your moral response in the analogy I gave. grin

Lol the op responded and agreed with me. I'll let the OP answer who's right about motives.

There's no moral delima because there's nothing immoral about asking question in the title. The context shows different anyway. Its like saying an author is racist becsuse title says "Are blacks inferior because of lower IQ scores?". The moral position is made in the article that what people base the argument on.
Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by MetaPhysical: 5:35pm On Sep 28, 2019
Blue3k:

Lol the op responded and agreed with me. I'll let the OP answer who's right about motives.

There's no moral delima because there's nothing immoral about asking question in the title. The context shows different anyway. Its like saying an author is racist becsuse title says "Are blacks inferior because of lower IQ scores?". The moral position is made in the article that what people base the argument on.

Abeg lets enjoy the article.
Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by AmuDimpka: 6:39am On Sep 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:

OGA YOU ARE A MORALIST AND WE ARE TALKING ABOVE 18 YRS
Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by Blue3k(m): 3:00pm On Sep 29, 2019
Full legalization would be the best option. Its gives saves on enfircement cost, gain tax revenue abd gives citizens freedom. The government can benefit from tax revenue. The only issue is the few politicians in favor of it only want it for medical purposes. It just means you'll need to get a prescription if it ever happens.
Re: Now That Marijuana Is Getting Accepted, Do We Smoke? by AmuDimpka: 3:23pm On Sep 29, 2019
Blue3k:

The topic was even a question not a suggestion...I wonder why he is making a mountain out of a molehill

(1) (Reply)

Looking For Black Seed In / UNDERCOVER INVESTIGATION (Part 2): Federal Neuro-psychiatric Hospital Yabaleft / How To Produce Homemade Hand Sanitizers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.