Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,984 members, 7,863,508 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 07:13 PM

Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop (3621 Views)

Niger Delta Struggle And Dream Country Is Not Biafra / Asari-Dokubo Convenes A Meeting On The Next Phase Of The Niger Delta Struggle / Picture South east Rivers State Reject Been Called Niger Delta Or South South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Beaf: 6:42pm On Nov 03, 2010
krendo:

are those the contents of the constitution you read?

we don't need a rocket scientist to tell us why there is chaos and confusion in Niger delta.

you dont even know what ND means. are there no states in SE and SW also in ND?

ignorant fool, I challenge you to produce any law supporting your claim.

As usual, you air your arse through your mouth. Has it occurred to your foolish self that the root of ND agitations is exploitative laws? Have you asked yourself why your parasitic generals changed the law from the equitable rules that governed cocoa and groundnuts to statutes of enslavement when it came to the ND and oil? I would have discussed the petroleum act and land use decree that appropriates ND land and waters, but your IQ and lack of morality are obvious impediments.

If your counter to the human rights violations in my first post is the constitution handed down by parasites, then your morality is beyond the pale.

Why are you so content to remain a fcking parasite anyway? Its so remniscent of Boko haram.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by chosen04(f): 6:50pm On Nov 03, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Does FG, let alone the people even take the constitution seriously? Who pays any serious attention to it? (serious questions).

Of what use is a law/constitution that cannot be effectively policed . . . . . . . . .Only when it suits their selfish interest.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 03, 2010
Abagworo:

@beaf do not insult krendo for he might be ignorant of some facts.He presented an excerpt from our constitution.Those are the issues I expected your man GEJ to iron out but you kept calling me IBB supporter.We need the ills corrected and not just to contest for a 2nd term without addressing the real thing.I still maintain my stand that even if Niger Deltans rule for 20 years without addressing some key issues like this "krendos constitution" we may never have peace.

Abagworo

what you guys don't realise is that this violence will continue untill we clarify some wrong perceptions.

If you say Oil belongs to the owner of the land, then why does a Government in Yenegoa have right to talk about oil in Oloibiri?. Even State Government or LGA or Local Chiefs should not benefit from it too since it should be for the private benefit of those on whose land oil is found.

The Militants fighting do they all have an oil well in their private land? what are they fighting for?

If we do not clarify these issues people will continue killing themselves for nothing.

My view is that the reason this crisis continues is because the FG and the PDP Government are not awake to there responsibilities.

If they are building Roads, building Hospitals, Schools, providing Jobs like they should. If Henry Okah and Co make noise you warn the local community to give them away and send in the tanks to fish out the militants and purnish them severely.

we have seen billions spent on amunition by these millitants and not a single penny on any development projects.

henry Okah, Edwin Clarke, Asari Dokubo, Ibori, Odili, Boyloaf, Tompolo, Godsday Orubebe, Timi Alaibe etc they are now millionaires and billionaires buying choice properties around the world and have simply created an industry from themselves out of this madness.

These thieves represent no one and Oil Resource is not better off in their hands than in the hands of the Central Government.

What we need is anti-corruption, the Petroleum Act as it is clear on how oil resource and revenue should be managed.

The Federal Government should in the ideal world be all of us and not some Foreign Entity. And most importantly the most recognised representative of the FG is from Otueke and a ND indigene.

So let the madness called ND struggle stop, what we need in Anti-Corruption. Oil belongs to the Nigerian State.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Beaf: 7:27pm On Nov 03, 2010
^
The beginning point to anti-corruption is flushing out all parasites. cool

You mention Edwin Clarke, Ibori, Odili, Godsday Orubebe, Timi Alaibe as militants? I pity you, Ibori and Odili are criminals, the others you have mentioned because you are a fcked up, immoral, parasitic tribalist.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 7:35pm On Nov 03, 2010
Beaf:

^
The beginning point to anti-corruption is flushing out all parasites. cool

You mention Edwin Clarke, Ibori, Odili, Godsday Orubebe, Timi Alaibe as militants? I pity you, Ibori and Odili are criminals, the others you have mentioned because you are a fcked up, immoral, parasitic tribalist.

you are a little kid and I will continue to post my views without engaging you.

speaking with you is like having a conversation with a rude and senseless 2yr old and thats certainly boring to me.

You still have not provided a superior law countering my point. it is just rants rants and rants!!!!!!!!!
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Beaf: 7:38pm On Nov 03, 2010
^
If I recall clearly, you were the first to throw insults on another thread, asking if ND peoples fathers planted oil. Have you forgotten so quickly? Funny guy.

Imagine a fool talking about his "points!!!!!" Wonders!

I wonder why you aren't concerned about the deaths of kids in Zamfara from illegal gold mining? In fact its shocking, those people are quite close to you (thats if you arent from Zamfara). Why ain't you concerned that they are digging up government gold? Why ain't you concerned about the "Zamfara struggle" and how it must stop?
Somehow, your neck has elongated beyond Lokoja to the ND, because oil has been mentioned. Fcking parasite.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 03, 2010
All we have is a case of criminals claiming to fight on behalf of unsuspecting Nigerian citizens in the ND against an irresponsible Government.

Sharing money to these criminals in the name of amnesty will not and never will be the solution to this problem.

The long term solution to this problem is for Government to be alive again to its responsibilities.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Beaf: 8:35pm On Nov 03, 2010
^
So you are now more concerned about who represents ND people than ND people themselves? shocked
What a parasite! The Niger Delta struggle is 70% won, so die if you like.

I advice you to think more about the criminals in Zamfara whose activities have led to the deaths of 100's of kids in the "Zamfara struggle."
I will also advice you to concern yourself more with the welfare of your 60 year old neighbours 13 year old wife.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Mobinga: 8:52pm On Nov 03, 2010
Beef mayne. . what did you smoke when you typed this ??

Parasites will never change.

The Niger Delta is the:
Is one of the Worlds most polluted places
Worlds most polluted wetlands
Worlds most polluted oil producing area
Cancerous diseases are rampant in the ND due to pollution
Respiratory diseases are rampant in the ND due to pollution
Plant and animals have been wiped out in the ND due to pollution
Farmlands and fishing waters are unproductive in the ND due to pollution

A very heavy price in blood, health and lives has been paid by ND people because of fcked up demons and parasites that cannot do a days's job outside an FG office.
Every Nigerian except the core Northerner is thoroughly ashamed of what is going on in the ND.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Mobinga: 8:53pm On Nov 03, 2010
@Krendo Are you a Nigerian? You know nothing about Nigeria
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 8:57pm On Nov 03, 2010
WHY UNA DEY BOTHER REPLY THIS FOOL AND SON OF A MAN AND ANIMAL.

THIS KRENDO NA PIKIN WEY COW BORN FOR ABOKI.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Mobinga: 9:07pm On Nov 03, 2010
opal4real:

WHY UNA DEY BOTHER REPLY THIS FOOL AND SON OF A MAN AND ANIMAL.

THIS KRENDO NA PIKIN WEY COW BORN FOR ABOKI.
grin grin
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Beaf: 9:18pm On Nov 03, 2010
Mobinga:

Beef Beaf mayne. . what did you smoke when you typed this ??

Dude, those are easily verifiable facts. In fact, some litterature on the pollution in the ND will pretty much shock the beard off your chin. There are many foreign agencies that have almost expressed shock that Nigeria is still one with such treatment; but we are not impatient Westerners; Nigerians are resilient and long suffering. Maybe thats the reason why the likes of krendo ooze through cracks in the sewer to spew garbage and idiocy.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by benchwest: 10:14pm On Nov 03, 2010
That you have more ND Militants on nairaland to support your argument does not mean that it is correct.

I have quoted various section of Nigerian laws to support my argument including section 44 (3) of the 1999 constitution.

What do you have to back your argument? nothing but abuses.

Where are your facts, post them lets see or be bold enough to embrace the truth before ignorance and laziness consume you all.

krendo
you quoted the above as a fact but forget to outline the main the truth
the bottom line is that the north were used by the British to drill drill drill and caused acts against humanity by polluting and destroying
the environment of ND and in compensation letting power for the north since independent,
the outcome of the north handling the the affairs creating policies for the country for the past 4 to 5 decade has caused a big havoc for the country.

oil is in ND but the best refinery is in north,
the natural resources in ND is a family affair matter for the Norths
because they dominate the highest position to the last even though they has groundnut certificate e or that of meat certificate,
the violence in ND is the judgement from the past 50 years of act of in humanity and evil acts against mankind

i rest my case cause i thin ck you know the truth

I
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Solomon227(m): 11:30pm On Nov 03, 2010
krendo:

All we have is a case of criminals claiming to fight on behalf of unsuspecting Nigerian citizens in the ND against an irresponsible Government.

Sharing money to these criminals in the name of amnesty will not and never will be the solution to this problem.

The long term solution to this problem is for Government to be alive again to its responsibilities.

My Krendo. Let me ask u the following questions:
Where are u from?
What are the natural resources domiciled in your Village, LGA or/and state?
What efforts has/hav the Govt(s) of your area made to harness these resources?

Now let me take u back in time to when the 'fiction' called Nigeria was formed
SW was in 100% control of Cocoa and other cash-crops and paying rebate to the central Federal Govt. The North was in absolute control of groundnuts and all other cash-crops grown on Northern soil and paid rebate to the central Federal Government. The SE had palm-oil and other crops they were exporting to cater for the immediate need of the SEstern people.
These regions between them were laying down the foundation for the development of their people with noticeable healthy rivalry amongst them. For every great OAU structure planted by Awo, there was a great UNN structure by Zik and also a great ABU structure. There was a Cocao house, a groundnut house and many more infrastructural developmental efforts from these regions.

Then there come d Khaki boys, driven by greed and when oil was discovered from d ND they felt ND could not control their resources. I am not from ND but I hav been directly and indirectly connected to d ND since 2006. I served in Bonny Island where the cost of constructing a 1km road will do 20Km in Maiduguri. I worked in the creeks for 3 years where the locals had to push their little gals to field workers to get clean water to drink. I have, sadly, witnessed oil spills from oil coys operations drifting into the ND villages polluting their few sources of potable water.

Krendo or whatever you call yourself I have since visited and worked in 7 countries in d world where oil is being produced either as an integral part of a larger economy or as d mainstay of economy like ours.  NO COUNTRY IS AS CRUEL TO THE HOST COMMUNITIES LIKE NIGERIA. Not only are the host communities actively involved in the running of the oil business in other nations they are in firm control of all the resources found on their lands in the countries like US,UK, and Kazastan.

Krendo why do your likes find it difficult to look inward into your own community resources and harness them. If u think ND do not have stake in the resources found on their lands why cant Nigeria tell them to secced since their problems are too much? He who wears the shoes feel d pains, NDtans should be given more controls over d resources found on their land while other Nigerians should go on develop their own village resources too and fight for control over them.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by amazonia(m): 12:33am On Nov 04, 2010
The bottom line is that, the laws and constitutional orders designed by
Britian for their selfish interest of maximizing their explorations and
exploitations of our natural resources, have proved grossly inadequate for
Nigeria for the past 50years. These laws must be changed to promote
serious economic diversities and regional specializations.

@Krendo.
I think is a shame, and self foolery to continue on a part that have
stymied by failures in what ever which way. We should be debating
substitute or alternate orders to replaced this old rules that have been
holding the nation back. Our existence as a nation so far is a prove
that what we have be doing has not been working. The Laws Need TO Change.
The laws are to serve the citizens. Not the other way around.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 12:35am On Nov 04, 2010
Solomon

^^^^^^^

In UK?

That is a pure lie.

Oil in UK belongs to her majesty. Yes compensation is paid to host communities for enviromental degradation but oil belongs to no one but the crown.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by jason12345: 12:43am On Nov 04, 2010
krendo:

Solomon

^^^^^^^

In UK?

That is a pure lie.

Oil in UK belongs to her majesty. Yes compensation is paid to host communities for enviromental degradation but oil belongs to no one but the crown.

what they have been trying to pass across is for us to reduce the dependence on oil

secondly, to stop behaving like leeches. let them have their resources controlled their own way.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Solomon227(m): 1:59am On Nov 04, 2010
krendo:

Solomon

^^^^^^^

In UK?

That is a pure lie.

"Given that Scotland is not a sovereign state (like the ND states), it has no effective maritime claims and for such purposes is part of the maritime claims of the United Kingdom (like Nigeria),  systems in Great Britain - that of Scots law pertaining to Scotland and English law pertaining to England and Wales, constitutional law in the United Kingdom has provided for the division of the UK sector of the North Sea into specific Scottish and English components[5]. The Continental Shelf Act 1964 and the Continental Shelf (Jurisdiction) Order 1968 defines the UK North Sea maritime area to the north of latitude 55 degrees north as being under the jurisdiction of Scots law[6] meaning that 90% of the UK's oil resources were under Scottish jurisdiction[7][8]. In addition, section 126 of the Scotland Act 1998 defines Scottish waters as the internal waters and territorial sea of the United Kingdom as are adjacent to Scotland[9]. This has been subsequently amended by the Scottish Adjacent Waters Boundary Order 1999 which redefined the extent of Scottish waters and Scottish fishery limits[10][11].
Recent evidence by Kemp and Stephen (1999) has tried to estimate hypothetical Scottish shares of North Sea Oil revenue by dividing the UK sector of the North Sea into separate Scottish and UK sectors using the international principle of equidistance as utilised under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) - such a convention is used in defining the maritime assets of newly formed states and resolving international maritime disputes. The study by Kemp & Stephen showed that hypothesised Scottish shares of North Sea oil revenue over the period 1970 to 1999, varied to as high as 98%[12] dependent upon the price of oil and offset against taxable profits and the costs of exploration and development"

"In the United States, oil and gas rights to a particular parcel may be owned by private individuals, corporations, Indian tribes, or by local, state, or federal governments. Oil and gas rights extend vertically downward from the property line. Unless explicitly separated by a deed, oil and gas rights are owned by the surface landowner. Once severed from surface ownership, oil and gas rights may be bought, sold, or transferred, like other real estate property.
Oil and gas rights offshore are owned by either the state or federal government and leased to oil companies for development. The tidelands controversy involve the limits of state ownership.
Although oil and gas laws vary by state, the laws regarding ownership prior to, at, and after extraction are nearly universal. An owner of real estate also owns the minerals underneath the surface, unless the minerals are severed under a previous deed or an agreement.
[edit]Prior to and at extraction
Unless mineral rights are severed, whoever owns the fee of the soil owns everything below the surface, limited by the extent of the surface rights (Del Monte Mining & Milling Co. v. Last Chance Mining & Milling Co.). Because oil and gas are fluids, they may flow in the subsurface across property boundaries. In this way, an operator may permissibly extract oil and gas from beneath the land of another, if the extraction is lawfully conducted on his own property (Kelly v. Ohio Oil Co.). An operator may not, however, angle a well to penetrate beneath property not owned by or leased to him.
The two conflicting legal doctrines covering oil and gas extraction are the rule of capture, and the correlative rights doctrine. Which of the doctrines applies in a particular case depends on state law, which varies considerably from state to state, or in the case of the federal offshore zone, on US federal law.
The rule of capture gives land owners an incentive to pump out oil as quickly as possible to capture the oil of their neighbors. Such practice may deplete the gas pressure needed to force oil out of the ground. Government agencies such as the Texas Railroad Commission therefore regulate extraction by individual owners"

Mr Krenko go back to your village and start doing everything to tap your resources. He who owns d land owns the resources therein, the ND states own their lands and if diz Nation breaks up today they will not only go with their lands but also with the territorial waters that carry more oil.
I have long realised this bitter truth and have vowed to do my own little way to improve d economy of my own state and town.

The ND states will cont fighting for what is their right. They went from almost nothing to 3% and now to 13% under OBJ. They will not stop until they have like 90% control like Scotland in the UK. Back-up or u bleep-up!
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Beaf: 2:31am On Nov 04, 2010
jason12345:

what they have been trying to pass across is for us to reduce the dependence on oil

secondly, to stop behaving like leeches. let them have their resources controlled their own way.

Exactly!
ND people are not pressing to leave the country and Nigeria survives solely on oil, so it would be unreasonable for the oil money that goes to other states and regions to suddenly dry up. Rather, workable agreements can be reached to use ND money to fully develop the resources in other areas (whether human, mineral, or other natural resource). In return shares (or some other agreed compensation method) will be given to the ND.

It doesn't have to be the old methods of theft, corruption and exploitation that fools like krendo are preaching. If not for his type, the North would not be a mess today; you would be shocked at the mineral wealth up there, its just that the core Northern elite (like krendo) have become a bunch of lazy folk who have learnt to live off others sweat.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by ziga: 3:15am On Nov 04, 2010
What Mr. Krendo is trying to say is that the so called ND struggle is a fight that has to begin with the constitution. Right now, the constitution does not give anybody but the FG rights over natural resources.

We can argue from now till kingdom come, but that is the way it is.

Laws are put in place for reasons, and the law is the law.

But also, laws can be changed. it is not rocket science.

So abeg ease up with the sentimentality that is always displayed by Nigerians.

I no insult anybody ooo. So, make nobody talk say na me start am!!!
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 3:36am On Nov 04, 2010
ziga:

What Mr. Krendo is trying to say is that the so called ND struggle is a fight that has to begin with the constitution. Right now, the constitution does not give anybody but the FG rights over natural resources.

We can argue from now till kingdom come, but that is the way it is.

Laws are put in place for reasons, and the law is the law.

But also, laws can be changed. it is not rocket science.

So abeg ease up with the sentimentality that is always displayed by Nigerians.

I no insult anybody ooo. So, make nobody talk say na me start am!!!

No  that is not the way it works here

For speaking the truth then you started the insult. So watch them rain abuse on you. They think every thing is about Kill am, Kill am, Kill am!!!!

Solomon

Did you say Niger Delta States are sovereign States? That was the point I stopped reading your argument.
If you do not know what Sovereignty means then the rest of your argument is clearly not woth it.

I did not even need to read your copy and paste in details to know that the author of that essay in that section was simply comparing ownership of Oil in UK where it belongs to the Sovereign Nation and ownership of Oil in US where those on whose private land it is found own it.

So the current Law in Nigeria is not necessarily bad, our leaders are simply irresponsible.

If we do not understand our problems people will continue to die for nothing. If anybody wants to say that all onshore oil must belong to individuals who own the land then lets make that law, and just like the FG can not claim ownership, the State Government can not also claim ownership and the same applies to all not directly connected to that land.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Beaf: 3:45am On Nov 04, 2010
^
I wonder what you and other parasites will do in the near future when the Niger Delta struggle is won? Perhaps you'll run under a molue or lie down in the middle of 3rd Mainland Bridge. . . and wait?
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Okijajuju1(m): 4:12am On Nov 04, 2010
WHO owns the oil?! - The man on whose land the oil is found!
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Nobody: 4:14am On Nov 04, 2010
This is indeed sad.

Although oil is wealthy and could help develop a country if properly maintained, but the complications in ND makes me pray every night for oil to never be Ekiti's portion. Amen.

Really sad.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Beaf: 4:21am On Nov 04, 2010
The funny thing about parasites like krendo is that they know every last exploitative law on oil in the constitution. So the fools rise to attempt to provoke general rage against the ND and "political correctness" and like any evil winsh, when they are defeated they change tune to crying crocodile tears for the ND and lamenting about the very exploitative corruption they themselves embody and strive to propagate.

The immoral fool claims that his state has rich deposits of uranium, yet it doesn't seem strange to him while there is a Petroleum Act, there are no specific laws for uranium, no uranium act. It would never occur to a parasite that there is something very strange in the existence of a petroleum act, WHILE THERE IS NO URANIUM ACT, OR GOLD ACT, OR  TANTALUM ACT, OR TIN ACT etc.
Fcked up parasites are never bothered with finer details, they just want to attach themselves and suck blood. . . ND folk (and other Nigerians too) have learned to swat them. When we are done, Nigeria would be a progressive nation whose fortunes have turned around.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Okijajuju1(m): 4:25am On Nov 04, 2010
Beaf:

The funny thing about parasites like krendo is that they know every last exploitative law on oil in the constitution. So the fools rise to attempt to provoke general rage against the ND and "political correctness" and like any evil winsh, when they are defeated they change tune to crying crocodile tears for the ND and lamenting about the very exploitative corruption they themselves embody and strive to propagate.

The immoral fool claims that his state has rich deposits of uranium, yet it doesn't seem strange to him while there is a Petroleum Act, there are no specific laws for uranium, no uranium act. It would never occur to a parasite that there is something very strange in the existence of a petroleum act, WHILE THERE IS NO URANIUM ACT, OR GOLD ACT, OR TANTALUM ACT, OR TIN ACT etc.
Fcked up parasites are never bothered with finer details, they just want to attach themselves and suck blood. . . ND folk (and other Nigerians too) have learned to swat them. When we are done, Nigeria would be a progressive nation whose fortunes have turned around.

Dont bother with people like him.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by chic2pimp(m): 4:26am On Nov 04, 2010
With the amount of Oil wealth we have in the ND region(Rivers and Delta especially), those two states should be by some margin the most developed state in Nigeria. Or at the very least in the Top 3 or 4.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by Okijajuju1(m): 4:34am On Nov 04, 2010
chic2pimp:

With the amount of Oil wealth we have in the ND region(Rivers and Delta especially), those two states should be by some margin the most developed state in Nigeria. Or at the very least in the Top 3 or 4.

They come into our lands, pullutes our air, land and water, cart away the oil and gas, sell it for billions and come give us hand outs, then make those ridiculous laws like the land use act e.t.c to keep us in check. If great men like Ken Saro-wiwa and co have lost their lives in this struggle, isnt it high time something is done.

I think the militants need to step up their fight!! angry
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by gadogado(m): 4:40am On Nov 04, 2010
Thank you Krendo

The issues are simple and straight forward! They are!!

1) Why are militants fighting? Wouldn't it be better to organize and seek a change in the law that gives the Nigerian state  exclusive preserve over all natural resources not just oil?
2) The money they are using to arm themselves and blow themselves up, wouldn't it be better if they used those millions to develop the area instead of burning all that money??
3) If you want to declare an independent state simply because you want to keep oil revenues to yourselves then secede and declare independence, we're waiting!!
4) You cant have your cake and eat it too. You want to remain part of Nigeria yet you want to keep the oil revenue and pay "tax" to the center, you keep citing cocoa, groundnuts etc. Those were times when Nigeria had regional governments. That sort of economic arrangement was feasible. But what you're saying now is that the states that dont have any mineral or natural resources should starve to death given the current economic arrangement that has Nigeria suffering from the "DUTCH DISEASE" and "RENTIER ECONOMY"
5) If you have one government for the whole north, then the revenue generated in Kano and other places can sustain the region, but this every state for themselves is not an African value. Africans share, thats just the sort of people we are, we're not Americans, heck, even Americans distribute wealth.
6) All this rubbish boils down to ND not wanting to share oil money and wanting to keep it all to themselves.
7) The largest oil exporter in the world doesn't have oil in every inch of its territory, Some Saudi tribes have no oil at all yet they receive money that comes from oil revenue and YES they have tribes. No one is saying that only Dammam should get the oil money and the rest should find their own way.
cool secede already, this is getting boring.
9) Actually, in Saudi, all the oil under their law belongs to the royal family.
10) The situation in Nigeria is not a new one, its a situation other countries have seen, you get a natural resource that is valuable on the int'l market and all your productivity withers away, most oil exporting countries are not industrialized and rely on oil or gas including Russia.

The point Krendo made is valid, seek a change in the law at the national level that has the constitution saying "oil" belongs to the state and change it to the ethnic group that happens to be closest to the source of the oil. the Ethnic chief can then distribute the oil money among his immediate people, do that or declare independence.
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by chic2pimp(m): 4:58am On Nov 04, 2010
gadogado:

6) All this rubbish boils down to ND not wanting to share oil money and wanting to keep it all to themselves.
Where did you Get the idea of NDs wanting to keep all the oil money to themselves? undecided
We would like part of the money be used to develop our state, or is that too much to ask for?

Okija_juju:

They come into our lands, pullutes our air, land and water, cart away the oil and gas, sell it for billions and come give us hand outs, then make those ridiculous laws like the land use act e.t.c to keep us in check. If great men like Ken Saro-wiwa and co have lost their lives in this struggle, isnt it high time something is done.

I think the militants need to step up their fight!! angry
Chei nah so e pain you reach grin
Re: Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop by gadogado(m): 5:03am On Nov 04, 2010
Again as Krendo said, you have to separate compensation from ownership. If the oil coys are destroying the environment then they must compensate, that is definitely fair! No one is disagreeing with that. But the oil producing states get more allocation than all other states. Bayelsa with its population of 1.9 million gets more money, at least 7% more than kano state with its population of 13.3 million. So if the state governors and local government chairmen in Bayelsa decide they'd rather steal the money instead of developing the area with their additional 7%, why not hold them responsible?? Ibori stole millions yet people from his village protected him from arrest!! Beats logic, you're protecting someone that stole your money then you turn around and say resource control and that northerners are cheating you out of "your" oil.
Since we're not in the jungle and we're people of laws, a country of laws. Change the provision that says oil belongs to the Federal republic of Nigeria and by implication her citizens.
Supposing, you keep the oil money and pay 60% tax to the FG, the FG is going to distribute it to non oil producing states so what have you really changed? now you receive more money out of the oil revenue than other states. If you pay tax, you're still giving money to non oil producing states. Your governors have the right to spend their allocations anyhow they want to. The fed doesn't mandate state spending in specified areas. If you dont like this arrangement then hurry up and secede. But the current economic realities wont change over time, Nigeria remains de-industrialized because of oil and Nigeria is a third world country. Keeping the oil money to yourselves will not help you develop unless structural economic issues are addressed. You can pay your indigenes monthly grants and import workers like the emirates but you wont grow economically unless you produce and export finished goods and remain competitive.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Know Sponsors Of Bomb Blasts- President Goodluck Jonathan / Aregbesola To Empower 5,000 Widows In Osun / CBN Directors Disown Sanusi's Letter

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.