Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,036 members, 7,814,534 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Why Nigerians Will Never Leave South Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Will Never Leave South Africa (631 Views)

Leave South East, South-south Or We Resort To Self-defense – Biafra Group Warns / Afenifere To Fulani Vigilantes: Leave South-West Now Or Face Hostility / Don’t Leave South-West - Governors Tell Northerners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerians Will Never Leave South Africa by agwom(m): 6:02am On Sep 29, 2019
A lot has been said about xenophobia and on the strained relationship between South Africa and the rest of black Africa with particular reference to Nigeria. In the past week we have seen the evacuation of Nigerians from South Africa – at least as many as want to leave. But the numbers are quite small compared to the number of Nigerians who live in the rainbow country. At the last count just over 1,000 Nigerians have signified their intention to come back home. This is a tiny fraction compared to the number of our compatriots who live there. The South African government also ensured they barred those who left, for 10 years. In a way, this made many who would have wanted to leave, to remain in that country. Most have gone into hiding, but for how long? The other day, we saw a parade of South Africans who we are told, are apologizing to the world for their xenophobia, but that is not enough assurance for the remaining foreigners in that country, to troop out. Even if they would, I will advise that the unruliness I’ve seen some of our brothers display on the streets there, is something that must be totally banished. The refusal of almost all Nigerians in South Africa to leave that country should be a cause of concern for us as a people and as a nation, being that despite the amount of tribulation that these Nigerians have gone through they still believe that it is better to remain and bear the risks. Unfortunately, we have seen some of them grossly abusing their hosts – perhaps out of trauma. We also know some who don’t see anything wrong in calling black South Africans ‘lazy’, ‘jealous’, ‘wimps’, ‘stingy’, ‘slaves’, ‘dependent on white handouts’ and all sorts of names. If the South Africans are indeed apologizing, I also apologize on behalf of those who have called them these names. I believe we all should. Today it seems that Nigerians who live in SA are somewhat contrite as they realize that it is perhaps much better for them to remain in South Africa than come back home. Some of those interviewed stated clearly that the standard of living in most of South Africa is far better than in most places within Nigeria. It is really bad manners that some of our people keep hurling these abuses at South African natives when we know that we still have to benefit from sharing their space. It is their space, and they have every right to defend it, just as we should defend ours from people who move in and out at will presently – a major reason we are under terrorist attack in some territories.

It is correct that the savage history between the blacks and whites in South Africa still plays out today in the high crime rate on the streets of many South African cities and the seeming predilection to violence of the average, neglected South African poor. There is also a proliferation of light weapons on the streets of South Africa, the availability of which facilitates the often fatal high crime rates. My take is that it is beyond our pay grade to dissect South Africans and their issues when we haven’t as much as achieved basic things for ourselves. If we were smart, well-educated, savvy, fantastic with women, quick on our feet, and all other attributes we accord ourselves, then Nigeria should not be a country where every young person seeks to run away from.

In fact, it could be said that we lack these very attributes for which we thump our chests and that is why our young people fill asylums centers in many countries around the world. It must however be made clear that the savagery encountered in the hands of some South Africans could never be justified in this day and age.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/why-nigerians-will-never-leave-south-africa-i.html

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Will Never Leave South Africa by Edygrin(m): 6:31am On Sep 29, 2019
What's your point exactly?
Re: Why Nigerians Will Never Leave South Africa by Chauke(m): 7:11am On Sep 29, 2019
Edygrin:
What's your point exactly?

The point is clear as mud.
Re: Why Nigerians Will Never Leave South Africa by Chikpat(m): 7:20am On Sep 29, 2019
Where is the mud?
Re: Why Nigerians Will Never Leave South Africa by MPSA(m): 7:22am On Sep 29, 2019
agwom:
A lot has been said about xenophobia and on the strained relationship between South Africa and the rest of black Africa with particular reference to Nigeria. In the past week we have seen the evacuation of Nigerians from South Africa – at least as many as want to leave. But the numbers are quite small compared to the number of Nigerians who live in the rainbow country. At the last count just over 1,000 Nigerians have signified their intention to come back home. This is a tiny fraction compared to the number of our compatriots who live there. The South African government also ensured they barred those who left, for 10 years. In a way, this made many who would have wanted to leave, to remain in that country. Most have gone into hiding, but for how long? The other day, we saw a parade of South Africans who we are told, are apologizing to the world for their xenophobia, but that is not enough assurance for the remaining foreigners in that country, to troop out. Even if they would, I will advise that the unruliness I’ve seen some of our brothers display on the streets there, is something that must be totally banished. The refusal of almost all Nigerians in South Africa to leave that country should be a cause of concern for us as a people and as a nation, being that despite the amount of tribulation that these Nigerians have gone through they still believe that it is better to remain and bear the risks. Unfortunately, we have seen some of them grossly abusing their hosts – perhaps out of trauma. We also know some who don’t see anything wrong in calling black South Africans ‘lazy’, ‘jealous’, ‘wimps’, ‘stingy’, ‘slaves’, ‘dependent on white handouts’ and all sorts of names. If the South Africans are indeed apologizing, I also apologize on behalf of those who have called them these names. I believe we all should. Today it seems that Nigerians who live in SA are somewhat contrite as they realize that it is perhaps much better for them to remain in South Africa than come back home. Some of those interviewed stated clearly that the standard of living in most of South Africa is far better than in most places within Nigeria. It is really bad manners that some of our people keep hurling these abuses at South African natives when we know that we still have to benefit from sharing their space. It is their space, and they have every right to defend it, just as we should defend ours from people who move in and out at will presently – a major reason we are under terrorist attack in some territories.

It is correct that the savage history between the blacks and whites in South Africa still plays out today in the high crime rate on the streets of many South African cities and the seeming predilection to violence of the average, neglected South African poor. There is also a proliferation of light weapons on the streets of South Africa, the availability of which facilitates the often fatal high crime rates. My take is that it is beyond our pay grade to dissect South Africans and their issues when we haven’t as much as achieved basic things for ourselves. If we were smart, well-educated, savvy, fantastic with women, quick on our feet, and all other attributes we accord ourselves, then Nigeria should not be a country where every young person seeks to run away from.

In fact, it could be said that we lack these very attributes for which we thump our chests and that is why our young people fill asylums centers in many countries around the world. It must however be made clear that the savagery encountered in the hands of some South Africans could never be justified in this day and age.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/why-nigerians-will-never-leave-south-africa-i.html

You are correct Brother, They must apologize for calling us Lazy, We never call anyone Lazy, But I don't Believe our Xenophobic Guys will take that apology at this moment, They are very angry grin I saw them on tv, I realized our Bad Guys are very very angry grin
Re: Why Nigerians Will Never Leave South Africa by Yujin(m): 8:57am On Sep 29, 2019
MPSA:

You are correct Brother, They must apologize for calling us Lazy, We never call anyone Lazy, But I don't Believe our Xenophobic Guys will take that apology at this moment, They are very angry grin I saw them on tv, I realized our Bad Guys are very very angry grin
Is an average South African lazy? YES! That said, I do not support to name callings we throw at each other.
To the main story, the author is very correct. If Nigerian government had got their acts right, only few Nigerians will want to stay in SA. If you're hardworking in SA you definitely will be fine because lots of infrastructures are in place to aid you. As for the criminal elements from Nigeria, only the SA government can stop them unfortunately, the average SA society sort of embrace criminality. Drugs, prostitution and fraud is endemic there. Nigerians didn't start any of those there. The major problem is that the criminals from Nigeria are loud and uncouth. Their indiscretions are their undoing. If the SA police will really do their job, most of these criminals will be forced to adjust or leave SA. That said, SA is a beautiful country with lots of potentials if a reasonable government comes into power.

(1) (Reply)

Patrick Obahiagbon's Independence Message To Nigerians / How Our Lawyer Strayed Into Justice Abdulmalik’s Home — EFCC / Lagos Govt Discovers Lion Used As ‘maiguard’ By Indian National

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.