Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,858 members, 7,817,541 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Facebook, Whatsapp Will Have To Share Messages With U.K. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Facebook, Whatsapp Will Have To Share Messages With U.K. (197 Views)

U.K. Police Officer Arrested Lady, Raped Her, Burnt & Dumped Her Body In Pond / I Killed My Wife Over Suspicious Text Messages On Her Phone – Husband / SARS Detained Me For Not Having Messages On My Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Facebook, Whatsapp Will Have To Share Messages With U.K. by donaldeke(m): 7:58am On Sep 29, 2019
Social media platforms based in the U.S. including Facebook and WhatsApp will be forced to share users’ encrypted messages with British police under a new treaty between the two countries, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The accord, which is set to be signed by next month, will compel social media firms to share information to support investigations into individuals suspected of serious criminal offenses including terrorism and pedophilia, the person said.

Priti Patel, the U.K.’s home secretary, has previously warned that Facebook’s plan to enable users to send end-to-end encrypted messages would benefit criminals, and called on social media firms to develop “back doors” to give intelligence agencies access to their messaging platforms.

“We oppose government attempts to build backdoors because they would undermine the privacy and security of our users everywhere,” Facebook said in a statement. “Government policies like the Cloud Act allow for companies to provide available information when we receive valid legal requests and do not require companies to build back doors.”

Continue HERE:

https://www.reporterswall.com/facebook-whatsapp-will-have-to-share-messages-with-u-k/

(1) (Reply)

Lucky / Revolutionnow: Court Grants Sowore, Bakare N150m Bail [watch ] / University Of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) Official Website Hacked By Suspected French

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.