Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. (23153 Views)

How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? / Sweating On The Palms, How Do I Stop it? / 5 Ways To Cure Mouth Odour In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Dentalgist: 10:57am On Sep 30, 2019
Sweating is the secretion of fluids by sweat glands onto the surface of the skin, mainly for the purpose of maintaining body temperature within an ideal range. This happens when the body temperature rises due to physical exertion or being in hot surroundings, the evaporation of sweat from the skin produces a cooling effect.

Sweat doesn’t smell, however, one can develop an odour when the acids in the sweat are being broken down by skin bacteria. The waste products from this breakdown process produce an offensive smell referred to as BODY ODOUR.

WHEN CAN ONE LIKELY HAVE BODY ODOUR?

Once a person reaches puberty, body odour begins to occur as this is when the apocrine glands, which are located in the armpits, breasts, and genital-anal area become developed. Males are more likely to have body odour than females because they sweat more than females.

WHO’S IS AT RISK OF HAVING BODY ODOUR

Below are categories of people at higher risk of having body odour;

1. Obese People

2. Persons who regularly eat spicy food

3. Individuals with certain medical conditions such as diabetes, hyperhidrosis (People who sweat too much), etc are more susceptible to having body odour.

Body odour can have a pleasant and specific smell to the individual and can be used to identify people, especially by dogs and other animals. Each person’s unique body odour can be influenced by diet, gender, health, and medication.

CAUSES OF BODY ODOUR

Body odour is caused by bacteria breaking down sweat and is largely linked to the apocrine glands. These glands are found in the breasts, genital area, eyelids, armpits, and ear. In the breasts, they secrete fat droplets into breast milk. In the ear, they help form earwax. Apocrine glands in the skin and the eyelids are sweat glands.

The apocrine glands are mainly responsible for body odour because the sweat they produce is high in protein, which bacteria can break down easily.

Also, medical conditions such as Overweight, diabetes, gout, tumour, menopause, frostbite, overactive thyroid, pituitary gland disorders, head injury, excessive alcohol consumption, infectious diseases, etc are also the leading causes of body odour

DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT OF BODY ODOUR

If you have an offensive body odour and you are concerned about you could see your doctor who may in some cases prescribe aluminium chloride.

However, to curtail body odour, one is advised to;

1. Use of Antiperspirants which contains aluminium-based compounds that temporarily block sweat pores, thereby reducing the amount of perspiration that reaches your skin.

2. Use of Deodorants contain perfume fragrances intended to mask odour. Deodorants can eliminate odour but not perspiration and are usually alcohol-based and can turn your skin acidic making it less attractive to bacteria.

3. Gradual shift in lifestyle which includes;

a. Regular bathe daily with an antibacterial soap.

b. Choose clothing to suit your activity.

c. Adopt relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation or biofeedback which can help teach you to control the stress that triggers perspiration.

d. Change your diet by reducing caffeinated beverages and spicy or strong-smelling foods which may make you sweat more or have stronger body odour than usual.

https://dentalgist.ng/what-causes-sweating-and-body-odour

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Davoneskay(m): 11:17am On Sep 30, 2019
Most people wit body odour don't know that they do. I heard that using lime to watch the armpit and other smelly parts can prevent unnecessary body odour. How true?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Sunofgod(m): 12:06pm On Sep 30, 2019
Poverty causes body odour......we all witness this when at school!

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by seunmohmoh(f): 12:06pm On Sep 30, 2019
I heard body odor is from birth, I haven't seen a person with body odor all my life.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by GeneralPula: 12:06pm On Sep 30, 2019
Just like the girlie above me said, I never jam person with body odour!

Body odour Microbes in the body are determined by some certain genes in the body & which could be inherited from Parents to their offspring! The chances of offspring inheriting body odour is less than 50%! But if nah parent wey don bleach their body, then it increases from 50% to 70% or even more!

It is one reason why it’s so bad to bleach your true skin!

Body odour might have been about going into extinction if bleachers never exist!

4 Likes

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by fullclub: 12:06pm On Sep 30, 2019
grin hope u didn't write this topic to ridicule that BBM naija girl

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by tillaman(m): 12:06pm On Sep 30, 2019
Please no one should come to say stuffs like “TACHA COMES TO MIND”
Because I won’t say it either

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by slawomir: 12:06pm On Sep 30, 2019
Na wa o
See wetin tacha don cause
Imagine
Na body odour we dey analyse like this

Tacha don't know what she has put her hand

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Ayoswit(f): 12:07pm On Sep 30, 2019
Some people would relate this topic to tacha, I trust nairalanders. See them below.
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by opeijferfg: 12:07pm On Sep 30, 2019
wow
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by 1000LIKES(m): 12:07pm On Sep 30, 2019
Tacha does grin grin grin
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Aluko1991: 12:08pm On Sep 30, 2019
Na Tasha bring all this topic come oh.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by kokomaster3d: 12:08pm On Sep 30, 2019
Hmm
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Giftedniye: 12:08pm On Sep 30, 2019
How will I know. Mbok... Go and ask Trasha

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Nwaohafia1: 12:08pm On Sep 30, 2019
Op, ask Tacha.
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by yeyeboi(m): 12:08pm On Sep 30, 2019
Ok
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Kenzboi1(m): 12:09pm On Sep 30, 2019
People that use bleaching cream are likely to have it too

5 Likes

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by seunmohmoh(f): 12:09pm On Sep 30, 2019
Davoneskay:
Most people wit body odour don't know that they do. I heard that using lime to watch the armpit and other smelly parts can prevent unnecessary body odour. How true?
Lime only brighten the spot, nothing more.
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Justbeingreal(m): 12:09pm On Sep 30, 2019
undecided

Chai!

That tacha girl go suffer stigmatization from Nigerians ehn.

Suddenly one hears body odour and tacha matter comes to mind. Nawa

3 Likes

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Jaybeee(m): 12:09pm On Sep 30, 2019
grin
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Mutemenot(m): 12:09pm On Sep 30, 2019
Op na this period you raise this kind topic.
You are among those thay won't go to heaven shocked
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by RealLordZeus(m): 12:10pm On Sep 30, 2019
Tacha don suffer! Aswear
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by faithfull18(f): 12:10pm On Sep 30, 2019
Always exfoliate your body.
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Kayouzka(m): 12:10pm On Sep 30, 2019
Davoneskay:

True, lime and coconut oil can cure body odour

1 Like

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by ThompsonJoo: 12:10pm On Sep 30, 2019
Too much of supporting TACHA
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by blesskewe(f): 12:10pm On Sep 30, 2019
Who no day sweat

1 Like

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by alasane: 12:10pm On Sep 30, 2019
Davoneskay:

WATCH
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by mysticwarrior(m): 12:10pm On Sep 30, 2019
I believe Tacha will know the cause of body odour
Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 30, 2019
Ask tacha

1 Like

Re: What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. by sureheaven(m): 12:11pm On Sep 30, 2019
Body odor is of two ways to me ....

First, most parent don't shower or bath their baby very well and regularly at birth and throughout their child hood.

Secondly, most people don't take bath serious.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever / Woman Dies From Drinking Too Much Coca Cola / Uncircumcised Joysticks Carry Bacteria & Germs – Doctor Warns On MouthGig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.