Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

New Nollywood Starlets - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / New Nollywood Starlets (3141 Views)

Terryg Set To Feature In New Nollywood Movie [photo] / [INTERVIEW] We Are Now In A New Nollywood Era- Tunde Komolafe / Davido And Chioma Stun On The Cover New Nollywood Movie, Forbidden Assurance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Nollywood Starlets by safarigirl(f): 7:19pm On Oct 01, 2019
If you've seen a Nigerian movie recently, you'll notice there has been a shift in tide. We're seeing less and less of Genevieve Nnaji, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, Rita Dominic, Ini Edo, Dakore Akande, Uche Jumbo, and all the other beautiful ladies that made most of our childhood fun. And when they are on our screens, they're going through a transition, taking on different roles, more mature roles, they aren't the sweet, innocent, lover girls that were once introduced to us anymore.

With the exodus of the old actresses, into new roles, there is, as expected, an influx of new actresses, taking up those roles.

These are the emerging screen divas breaking box office records, the sultry sweethearts gracing magazine covers, the lovely lady leads you're smitten by, the fresh faces in the spotlight, and here is a list of the top of the bunch.

13. Sharon Ooja

Leggy Sharon Ooja came onto our screens with her model looks, glowing skin and sweet smile. Overtime, she has featured in various movies, albeit not quite the lead roles she's aiming for. An alumni of Skinny Girl in Transit, Sharon has transitioned to the Big Screens, featuring in movies like Moms At War and the highly successful, King Of Boys. We look forward to seeing more of the Benue beauty with time

12. Jemima Osunde

Pretty and adorable Jemima came onto our TV screens courtesy of a starring role in the popular MTV series, Shuga. A series whwre she put in a performance so good, it earned her call ups to star in many more movies. For the most part, Jemima plays teenage roles, particularly in movies like Stella and My Wife & I, but she still put in a stellar performance in the Ndani series, Rumor Has It, and surely, a childhood dream was fulfilled as she starred alongside Nollywood legend, Genevieve Nnaji, in the ground-breaking LionHeart. An actress, who also has a degree in physiotherapy, Jemima is one multi-talented woman, that will remain onnour screens for a long time, hopefully.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/8340437_jem_jpegdd4acec01bc03dd37d5a50b32c30f0c2

11. Inidima Okojie

The first time a lot of people set eyes on Inidima-Okojie, was on, Skinny Girl in Transit, and while her character was not particularly likeable, she did bring a certain spice to the show....but spice isn't something alien to the beautiful Miss Okojie. Inidima has been bringing it on and off-screen. A graduate of Covenant University, and an alumni of the New York Film Academy, Inidima has starred in movies like It's Her Day, playing the bratty bride-to-be, North East, alongside OC Ukeje, and The Royal Hibiscus Hotel.

10. Nancy Isime

Nancy is one lady that understands the concept of started from the bottom. Before Nancy became the screen goddess, she was just a hustling girl, trying to fulfill her dreams of being on TV. The stunning, versatile Nancy, is not only an ex-beauty queen, she is also a TV host/VJ, a media personality, and has made herself a mainstay in the movie industry, featuring in movies like Merry Men, Hire A Man and A Trip To Jamaica among others.

9. Zainab Balogun

Zainab Balogun is one dedicated actress that has put in her all, in whatever role she found herself. She had us cracking up as the Event Planner in The Wedding Party, then had us crying in God Calling, and had us smiling in Royal Hibiscus Hotel….wherever you see Zainab, you know she brings a special charisma to the screen. Her brilliance is one that cannot be questioned.

8. Toni Tones

Gbemisola Anthonia, aka Toni Tones is one multi-talented woman; an actress and a photographer, who just happens to know how to shake things up on any red carpet, Toni Tones is one lady that has brought intensity to our screens. If you were ever in doubt that Miss Tones was made for the big screen, look no further than her brilliant performance in the highly-acclaimed King of Boys, where she played the young Eniola. She was a force to reckon with, she took up that mantle and made the character hers in a way no other actress could have done. When Toni Tones isn't taking over a crime ring, she's a supportive sister as seen on Its Her Day, she has also featured in movies like The Royal Hibiscus Hotel, and we look forward to seeing more of her

7. Somkele Iyamah-Idhalama

Yes o, it's a battle of the legs. We bring to you, another contender; it's the lady with all the spunk that goes with legs for days. Stunning actress and model, Mrs. Somkele is one woman who has made quite the name for herself. Many may have identified her at an earlier time, but for most, you either first met our #6 actress on Gidi Up, or you came across her at a Wedding Party....wherever you were first introduced to her, she certainly made a lasting impression on you. Somkele isn't just a thing in Nigeria, she is also recognised on the world stage, being a regular at the Toronto International Film Festival and the African Film Festival. The Delta-born actress has also been in movies like 93 Days and The Arbitration.

[img]https://4.bp..com/-Xlw7bb4xjDo/V9U-Vl51POI/AAAAAAAAIGE/UML_Ml127twU2yggayjbHxfw1RgLJRtRQCLcB/s1600/gettyimages-600035800_master_1.jpg[/img]

6. Lillian Esoro

Miss Esoro has been a mainstay in the industry for quite a while. We were first introduced to her as Nurse Titi on Clinic Matters, a television series. It was all the platform the pretty actress needed to seep into our hearts and minds. Since then, Miss Lilian has starred in various movie roles, some of which include The Secret Room and Merry Men. Another stylish actress on the list, Lilian stuns on screen and on the red carpet.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/8294232_lw___1_jpega5d282b796c8f32f2fce52fc3f582277

5. Osas Ighodaro

The pretty Osas first came into the limelight forNigerians, after winning Miss Black USA beauty pageant. She went from a beauty queen, to an actress, when she took up a recurring role in the long-running series, Tinsel, where she met husband, Gbenro Ajibade. Osas has since gone on to lend her stunning looks to the sets of Merry Men, King of Boys and Gbomo Gbomo Express. Before Nollywood, she also featured in some Hollywood movies, most prominent of which is Cadillac Records.

4. Beverly Naya

Beverly Naya, is in one word, stunning. Beautiful mocha skin, lovely form and a carriage to leave you quite unsettled, Miss Naya is another beneficiary of the gift that never stops giving, Tinsel, where she came on as the sister to Ireti Doyle's character. Beverly has been in the industry for up to nine years, and everytime we see her, it's like she just came on yesterday. With a CV that boasts movies like The Wedding Party, Forgetting June, Alan Poza, When Love Happens, Chief Daddy and many more amazing performances in, it's no wonder how the British-born Nigerian actress has become a recurring face on the big screen.

3. Linda Ejiofor-Suleiman

Mrs Linda first came on to our screens as the stubborn, opinionated, sharp-mouthed, often nosy Bimpe Adekoya, on Tinsel. Her bubbly on-screen character made us laugh at times, and made us mad too. Linda grew from the set of Tinsel, to the big screen, featuring in Box Office hits like Chief Daddy, The Meeting, and A Soldier's Story.

2. Damilola Adegbite

Miss Dami….vixen extraordinaire, screen goddess, and possibly, the heiress to Omotola's throne, Damilola, like Linda, came on to our screens via Tinsel, where she played Thelema, the love interest of Soji (Gbenro Ajibade), and eventually, one part of the love triangle, involving Kwame (Attoh)...Damilola has had quite the impressive career after her time in Tinsel, featuring in movies such as Flower Girl, Merry Men and Banana Island Ghost.

1. Adesuwa Etomi-Wellington

And the No. 1 leading lady of the New Nollywood, is none other than the stunning Mrs. Wellington. If you didn't learn of Adesua after her brilliant role alongside Blossom Chukwujekwu in Knocking on Heaven's Door, surely, you saw her in the heart-warming, tear-jerking short film, Brave, where she starred alongside Wole Ojo, and if not, you must know Adesua from her many other blockbuster movies, The Wedding Party, King of Boys, Falling and Up North. Wherever you know her from, Adesua left her lasting impression on you. She's the undefeated queen of playing emotional roles, and while she was at the risk of being stereotyped in Nollywood, she has gone on to take up more challenging roles in her career. Not only has she dominated our screens, she's also dominated magazine covers, notably featuring on Vogue earlier this year. Adesua has been breaking boundaries on and off screen and we can only wish her more success in her growth.

Notable Mentions:

Rahama Sadau

Kemi Lala-Akindoju

Zynell Zuh

Lota Chukwu

Linda Osifo
[img]https://1.bp..com/-Lub_uBonsGk/VmlqNPblYdI/AAAAAAAHnq8/woHiNc_rHEU/s1600/4.jpg[/img]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Nollywood Starlets by Ishilove: 7:34pm On Oct 01, 2019
Don't know most of them undecided

1 Like

Re: New Nollywood Starlets by JeffreyJames(m): 8:27pm On Oct 01, 2019
These actresses are by no means "new" in every sense of the word.
Re: New Nollywood Starlets by safarigirl(f): 8:30pm On Oct 01, 2019
Ishilove:
Don't know most of them undecided

JeffreyJames:
These actresses are by no means "new" in every sense of the word.

See......

They are newer than Genevieve's set

1 Like

Re: New Nollywood Starlets by Afam4eva(m): 10:02am On Oct 10, 2019
I either know or have heard about a lot of these people but never watched their movies except for Adesuwa, Jemima Osunde (Lionheart) and a brief screen tiem of Beverly Naya and that Balogun girl. I tender to know Asaba movie actors more than these cinema ones.

4 Likes

Re: New Nollywood Starlets by Nickshrapnel: 10:34pm On Dec 02, 2019
What about the lady that played Ramsey's sister in Merrymen
Re: New Nollywood Starlets by biosystech: 11:44am On Dec 03, 2019
Lota Chukwu kwanu?
Re: New Nollywood Starlets by safarigirl(f): 11:50am On Dec 03, 2019
biosystech:
Lota Chukwu kwanu?
very suspect acting skills, lemme just chook her there

1 Like

Re: New Nollywood Starlets by Kapeter(m): 12:13pm On Dec 03, 2019
Afam4eva:
I either know or have heard about a lot of these people but never watched their movies except for Adesuwa, Jemima Osunde (Lionheart) and a brief screen tiem of Beverly Naya and that Balogun girl. I tender to know Asaba movie actors more than these cinema ones.
you people don't visit cinema often. That's why.
Re: New Nollywood Starlets by Kapeter(m): 12:17pm On Dec 03, 2019
safarigirl:
very suspect acting skills disqualified her from the list. Plus, she's not as prominent as most on the list
you are good writer, you make nice threads, I'd be following you. Your kind threads dey sweet my belle.
Re: New Nollywood Starlets by Kapeter(m): 12:27pm On Dec 03, 2019
I love Jemima Osunde so much that i don't mind selling my popsy house for her sake. But that Beverly Naya is so beautiful sha. She have that kinda mouth i like.

1 Like

Re: New Nollywood Starlets by safarigirl(f): 12:28pm On Dec 03, 2019
Kapeter:
you are good writer, you make nice threads, I'd be following you. Your kind threads dey sweet my belle.
thanks a lot smiley

1 Like

Re: New Nollywood Starlets by Fidelismaria: 1:07pm On Dec 03, 2019
I don't watch Nollywood movies but from what I'm seeing up there

I would say damilola adegbite should be no 1 on the list
Re: New Nollywood Starlets by Reussite: 2:16pm On Dec 03, 2019
Damilola Adegbite takes the cake for me all day.
Damn that lady is hella sexy. A superb actress with her captivating & heart rendering smile sure makes her the current Nollywood's Barbie. kiss kiss
Re: New Nollywood Starlets by nlPoster: 2:36pm On Dec 03, 2019
Ok, seen.

Only females btw?

Also, I assumed the topic was about new faces or upcoming artistes in nollywood.

ie people we didn't know before.

They all look beautiful, nice one.
Re: New Nollywood Starlets by JimD(m): 4:44pm On Dec 11, 2019
You should create a website, could be a free WordPress website and duplicate these kinds of posts. You'll generate Google traffic and in the long term cash flow. Engaging post.

2 Likes

Re: New Nollywood Starlets by safarigirl(f): 4:55pm On Dec 11, 2019
JimD:
You should create a website, could be a free WordPress website and duplicate these kinds of posts. You'll generate Google traffic and in the long term cash flow. Engaging post.
thank you, I'll work on that. I'm not very good with the website thingy

2 Likes

Re: New Nollywood Starlets by JimD(m): 5:59pm On Dec 11, 2019
safarigirl:
thank you, I'll work on that. I'm not very good with the website thingy
Chat me up on WhatsApp o8103961890, I'll guide you through.
Re: New Nollywood Starlets by RamseyBolton: 7:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
Safarigirl, I finally saw Living in Bondage: Breaking Free. It was awesome. Good story continuity. Ramsey Nouah as usual, he killed it with his acting
Re: New Nollywood Starlets by safarigirl(f): 7:19pm On Dec 30, 2019
RamseyBolton:
Safarigirl, I finally saw Living in Bondage: Breaking Free. It was awesome. Good story continuity. Ramsey Nouah as usual, he killed it with his acting
I'm glad you enjoyed it, see, sometimes you can't use a few bad experiences to qualify a large number of productions.

Hopefully, you'll give more Nigerian movies a chance going forward. I'm really elated that you have such a nice review of the movie.

I still haven't seen it, but when I get back to Abuja next month, it will definitely be top on my list.

(1) (Reply)

BBNaija's Khloe Dances In Bikini As She Hangs Out In Dubai (Photos) / Throwback Photo Of Kizz Daniel During NYSC / LOCKDOWN: 1 Million Boys, Awawa Stoms Amuwo Odofin Collecting ATM With PIN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.