Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,772 members, 7,813,561 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:56 PM

Bride Price - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bride Price (318 Views)

N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others / James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bride Price by Dionne005: 11:38pm On Oct 01, 2019
Hello everyone! I am an African American. In america we dont do or believe in bride price. We arent for sale. I tried to tell my boyfriend(Yoruba man) that and he seems to not understand. He understands that im not for sale but not understanding that my family will not recieve his bride price well. Especially if he brings a goat which is illegal where I live. He can bring goat meat though. I told him im fine with his tradition but im obviously not for sale. Just for fun. I said just call it a gift and not bride price. I told him to just buy my dad a tablet and he will like that more better. But if my folks see a live goat, my mom is going to be angry. She won't cook it either. My point is I respect the culture. It all sounds fun but at the same time it has to be fun for everyone. I have 4 brothers and none of them paid anything to the brides family. That's just how it's done here. They take care and respect the wives and the wives family. That's it. But no dollar figures here. All I know is that if he ask my dad what the bride price is he will be extra confused.

My question is...how serious is this and how do Yoruba men/family look at this. I know everyone is different too. My boyfriend looks at marriage as if we both own each other in a biblical sense. Not just him owning me.

(1) (Reply)

Beware Of Pelvic Adhesion And Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, Try This Herbal Pill / Anambra Traditional Ruler Drags Subject To Court For Addressing Him S Chief / Indecent Dressing Vs Body Positivity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.