Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

My Position On Nigeria Federal Structure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Position On Nigeria Federal Structure (262 Views)

Amaechi: My Position As Minister Won’t Allow Me Make Comment On Herdsmen Crisis / COVID-19: My Position On Economy Misreported – Tinubu / Time Will Tell On My Position In APC, Says Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Position On Nigeria Federal Structure by NosaHenry(m): 12:03pm On Oct 03, 2019
Avbuere, H. N (July 2019) Restructure of the Nigerian Federal System: A Task That Need be Done. Published by Global Journal of Political and Administration, in European – American Journals. Vol 7, No.3, pp 66-88.

”the paper further recommends a political structure that might help to solve the periodic tension that is usually associated with electioneering period in the country. Firstly, the country needs to revert back to the pre-1964 regional arrangement as most states as we currently have them today are not viable economically. This reversion is one way the country can solve the problem of financial crunch and frequent cap in hand by states to federal government for financial bailout. Secondly, the paper further recommends that each region should be saddled with the responsibility of electing their presidential representative who will then represent them in a Presidential Council to be inaugurated in Abuja. This council will be composed of the representatives of the six (6) regions (North East, North West, North Central, South South, South West and South East) and they are to serve for a single tenure of 12 years. Within this period each of these representatives is to hold the office of the President on rotational bases for a period of 2 years, the mode of this rotation could be by ballot picking or any other method agreeable to them. At the expiration of this 12 years presidential cycle, the council will be dissolved to be replaced by a new one of which the preceding occupants will no longer seek presidential ambition again for life. This recommendation would have save the country from the political tensions and huge financial involvements associated with four yearly elections. Moreso, the current cry of marginalization by some ethnic groups like the Ibos would have been scaled down considerably as every region will have the opportunity of leading the country for two years in every 12 years. Likewise, the enormous powers been wielded by the president in the current structure would have been winded down considerably. This recommendation can also be replicated at the other lower levels of government.” (Avbuere. 2018)

(1) (Reply)

How Nigeria Can Regain Lost Glory — Former Minister / El -rufai: Please Come To Our Rescue / Ondo State Government Eulogises General Alani Akinrinade At 80

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.