Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,853 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Could It It Be A Catalysts Problem? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Could It It Be A Catalysts Problem? (982 Views)

Missing Catalysts In Camry 07 / Solution To Widespread Stealing Of Vehicle Catalysts (indomie) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Could It It Be A Catalysts Problem? by mabeni(m): 12:37pm On Oct 03, 2019
My corolla 03 model check engine light is permanently ON and over consuming fuel lately. Went for scan and this is the result. Does this mean my catalyst needs to be replaced or is it repairable?
I google search this result but I learnt it could be a bad o2 oxygen sensor, the catalyst no longer active or there could be a leak on the exhaust system.... My exhaust system not leaking tho.
Anybody with related issues and how was it fixed? My Technician suggested I change the Catalyst

Re: Could It It Be A Catalysts Problem? by TRYGO(m): 1:16pm On Oct 03, 2019
The various likely causes you got from google, are correct.

1.How did you know the exhaust has no leaks?
Any buuuuu kind of noise when you start the car? If yes, then there is either a leak or the catalytic converter isn't there at all.

2. Sometimes, from my experiences fixing cars, it could be the O2S. In some cases you don't get to see any O2S codes popping up when you scan the car.

3. What's the state of your catalytic converter? Check if it is clogged, or none existent at all.

What you could do!
1. If the catalytic converter is OK, and still in the exhaust system, you could use your code reader to take a look at the real time readings of your upstream (the one up close to the top cylinder) O2S.

If it is not just fluctuating(doing it's job), then there's a problem with that sensor, an open circuit in that sensor's circuitry, etc.

The upstream or that upper sensor is what "looks" at the amount of oxygen in the system, and combines it with the fuel the car would burn, to achieved air/fuel ratio balance.

So if the O2S isn't doing its job, the car's ECU (brain), would interpret this as a lean situation, which would caused the injection pulse widths to increase (more fuel consumption).

Hope this helps you some bit.

Regards
Re: Could It It Be A Catalysts Problem? by mabeni(m): 1:29pm On Oct 03, 2019
TRYGO:
The various likely causes you got from google, are correct.

1.How did you know the exhaust has no leaks?
Any buuuuu kind of noise when you start the car? If yes, then there is either a leak or the catalytic converter isn't there at all.

2. Sometimes, from my experiences fixing cars, it could be the O2S. In some cases you don't get to see any O2S codes popping up when you scan the car.

3. What's the state of your catalytic converter? Check if it is clogged, or none existent at all.

What you could do!
1. If the catalytic converter is OK, and still in the exhaust system, you could use your code reader to take a look at the real time readings of your upstream (the one up close to the top cylinder) O2S.

If it is not just fluctuating(doing it's job), then there's a problem with that sensor, an open circuit in that sensor's circuitry, etc.

The upstream or that upper sensor is what "looks" at the amount of oxygen in the system, and combines it with the fuel the car would burn, to achieved air/fuel ratio balance.

So if the O2S isn't doing its job, the car's ECU (brain), would interpret this as a lean situation, which would caused the injection pulse widths to increase (more fuel consumption).

Hope this helps you some bit.

Regards
yes, it makes buuuuuuu noise. I have checked for the Leakage but didn't see anything. This problem started since I heated exhaust drum of a bump and I asked a panel to help me fix it

(1) (Reply)

Transport Business Partner Needed / At What Time Interval Should Spark Plugs Be Replaced? / Honda Civic 2006- Injector Head For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.