Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense (4589 Views)

Baddest Beef In Nigerian Hip-hop / Latest Nigerian Hip Hop / "The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by jerrymania(m): 12:50pm On May 19, 2007
hey fellas i'm sick and tired of hearing people calling our music "naija hip hop". I'm sick of that brand name.Hip Hop is unique.it shouldnt be expressed that way. why havent we heard of america fuji or british apala? We need to give our contemporary music a brand name."naija hip hop" dosent make sense. Well if its hip hop then no need in naming it. embarassed
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by dblock(m): 3:05pm On May 19, 2007
It is more commonly refered to as Afro HipHop, it is a sub Genre used to refer to HipHop songs that have a Pop blend and originate from the African Continent. I guess some Africans, Americans and Europeans feel that HipHop from Africa isn't at a ripe level yet. And quite right too, African HipHop is still developing, that's why African Artists like Zoro and Eldee aren't competiting in the mainstream with Artists like The Game and 50 cent etc. It's only a matter of time though wink
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by wadomi: 3:07pm On May 19, 2007
thats your opinion.
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by dblock(m): 3:18pm On May 19, 2007
It's the truth. Afro HipHop is still developing. Do you want me to emphasize? wink
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by youngdigi(m): 7:03pm On May 19, 2007
dblock, u went off-subject there for a little bit, what jerrymania is trying to say is that, hiphop shud be hiphop, and there shudnt be anything like nigerian hiphop/ afrohiphop or any sub genre, but u have explained that hiphop in africa is still developing (offsubject)

anyways, i still agree with u for ur few statements, about the name, i believe afro hiphop is a subgenre of hiphop and yes it will pass for that name just like we have gangsta rap, conscious rap and what not,
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by dblock(m): 2:14am On May 20, 2007
It isn't exactly off subject, because the reason why Afro HipHop or Naija HipHop isn't plainly refered to as HipHop is due to it's evolution!
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by PoDeep(m): 7:26am On May 20, 2007
Afro-hiphop needs to go see d barbers.
-modenine.
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by kulex2k1(m): 8:12am On May 20, 2007
@dblock i totally agree with u! its an evolution process
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by Ndipe(m): 11:50am On May 20, 2007
Oh, so it is now Nigerian hip hop. What happened to fuji? Cant they be original instead of 'copying' their African American counterparts?
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by Christino(m): 7:38pm On May 20, 2007
Haven't you guys heard of American Juju or British Fuji? ptttiiiiuuuuuu

No matter what language or intention, hip hop remains the same be it gospel or hebrew or spanish or whatever.
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by gbadex1(m): 7:47pm On May 20, 2007
@ Ndipe:

music itself is transcending. Sure there's Fuji in naija here but at the same time, It's not everyone that can do fuji, or the other genres that are originally naija. Rap Music is ever evolving, i do not see it in the bad light you non-HipHop heads always see it.

Let's take for example reggae. There are numerous peops doing that are not even Jamaicans. Have you ever heard of Matisyahu? He is a Jewish Rabbi that sings reggae. So is Lucky Dube, Buddy something, UB-40, and some other Caucausian dude. Does that now give cause to label them copycats?
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by jerrymania(m): 10:01am On May 21, 2007
who can tell rugged to shut his trap up and stop saying "naija hip hop".The worst of all, he has another jargon "naija krunk".D guy is baz men, he doesnt know whats hip hop or krunk and i think music aint his turf!
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by skingo(m): 4:43pm On May 21, 2007
hiphop is hiphop,
when people rap with traditional lingo, then its considered hiphop in that dialect,

hence, music with nigerian dialect in them are categorized as nigerian music, so odes hiphop, r and b., , etc,

makes sense
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by jerrymania(m): 12:02pm On May 22, 2007
skingo:

hiphop is hiphop,
when people rap with traditional lingo, then its considered hiphop in that dialect,

hence, music with nigerian dialect in them are categorized as nigerian music, so odes hiphop, r and b., , etc,

makes sense

WORD!!!!
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by uche1(m): 4:03pm On May 22, 2007
Na you talk amm
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by AFredrick(m): 4:39pm On May 22, 2007
I feel you jare Jerrymania, I dunno why its branded like that too, Hip Hop should be hip hop what s tha use tha naija there
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by simmy(m): 5:45pm On May 22, 2007
Naija hiphop is hiphop with a 9jerian flavour, and bc it has a distinct flavour it needs to be differentiated from other forms of hiphop hence the term 9jahiphop. i fail to see what the big deal is. hiphop with an american flavour is americanhiphop but since it originated from there in the 1st place, its just calld hiphop.
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by seun001(m): 5:57pm On May 22, 2007
naija hip hop is used to connote the hiphop variant originating from nigeria.just like there is spanish hiphop,french hiphop etc.since america is the originator of hiphop any other country trying to do hiphop will be termed as copycat.therefore the adding of the prefix to denote the country of origin.

abt ruggedman,pls he was the one that started insisting everybody shuld make sense in their music.we now have sensible hiphop.b4 now,well i dnt nid to expantiate,
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by pmdaboh(f): 6:42pm On May 22, 2007
Hello.  I am an African American woman, and my husband is Nigerian.  We got married in Lagos, Nigeria this year, and he and my stepson will be soon joining me in the states.   Prior to my coming to Lagos (by the way my first visit there),  my then fiance, sent me quite a lot of music (gospel, R&B, and some I could not tell what category it feel into).  My favorite R&B recording artist so far is Sunny Neji (Oruka)!.  Our music industry, just like our television industry,  is very far advanced as far as special effects and angle shots  in the videos and the ability to mix the sound in the studio, for we have the technology to make it look and sound "unbelievable" (maybe to unbelievable, for when you hear some of the artists in person, it is not the same)!   But I think it is nothing wrong with labeling your hip hop music (naija hip hop), for it is very unique in respect to its sound.  That way, when someone goes into a store  to buy naija hip hop or orders it through the internet, they will realize that it is not the same type of hip hop that they are use to listening to, for it is unique to that of the Nigerian region.  I think to call it that will make it "actually stand out and apart from the others in the hip hop category", which will, as it evolves, make it impossible for anyone else to take credit to its unique sound and blend. 

By the way, my favorite recording Gospel artist is Sammie Okposo and 'D'X Generation (Unconditional Love Video CD).   
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by pmdaboh(f): 6:58pm On May 22, 2007
I posted this to the wrong forum . .
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by chrysler(m): 7:00pm On May 22, 2007
we have to be proud of what we have, don`t condemn, afterall no place like naija, the outside world is cherishing us, so why can`t we cherish ourselves,
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by kachiface(m): 7:03pm On May 22, 2007
i believe in the "naija hip hop" term too. of course, the adjective "naija" used as an appendage to "hip hop" simply says its hip hop from naija. if its hip hop, its hip hop, and in global classification, it will be classified as hip hop. The addendum - naija is just for identification purposes

Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by smile007: 7:14pm On May 22, 2007
Stop balabing lipsrsealed what have u contribute to the hip-hop music industry
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by rozilla(m): 1:55am On May 23, 2007
most of naija hip hop is a waste of time. look at all the crap they show on Music Africa. u can't watch that stuff without your brain melting and dripping out from your ears.
how long are these videos going to look like primary school experimentations??
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by lobinoxebe(m): 9:08am On May 23, 2007
lets be realistics, Nigeria doesnt have Hip hop,

Our original sytl is Fuji,

can you compare pasuma and the game.

the game is a gangstar raised from the hood (campton) and pasuma is also taout raised from mushin,

we dont have hip hop in nigerian, what we have is fuji and lets promote our stly,

not everybody love 50 cents and the game, not everybody loves snoop dogg cause of they lifestyl,

same here in nigeria , not everybody loves pasuma and obesere,

cause of their life styl, they will call the (omo ita),

if yu love 50 and the game, then love pasuma,

promote nigeria,
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by acidrop(f): 9:18am On May 23, 2007
who said 9ja dosent have hiphop, infact the way they mix languge in english is just outstandinga nd promoting our country, who else hear youruba, and no wat olunfumi is, and yet u say nigeria dont have hiphop, undecided
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by freddie1(m): 9:40am On May 23, 2007
Afro hip hoplife is the name dig?
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by cspear77(m): 9:55am On May 23, 2007
acidrop u have said it all. who says nigeria does not have hip hop.the kind of music we sing in nija is unique. let me ask, can an american speak pidgen english?the answer is purely NO and that is why it is refered to as afro hip hop-this means a blend of hip hop but nigerianized.
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by randa(m): 10:04am On May 23, 2007
hip hop is hip hop, wats da beef, its growing dats why its reffered to as naija hip hop, just the same way we say nigerian football, or naija wax, is d brand, wats ur beef? maybe u shoild channel ur anger to the quality of wat they churn out, the maybe we can have a debate
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by dvenom(m): 10:41am On May 23, 2007
Thanks to Jerrymania,hiphop can only be hiphop and notin else!That stupid,wack Rugged man has only succeeded in makin a lot of Nigerians drift over to a wack niche he deliberately carved for himself,"Naija hiphop". That guy is real crap!The message in "Ruggedy Baba" is nonsense!Who made him a rap judge,to tell us the way we should rap!
@ Gbade X,I always feel ur contributions,u dey make sense!
I wont talk much on this,this thread is not for hiphop heads!!!!!!!!!!
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by acidrop(f): 10:42am On May 23, 2007
so are u trying 2 say that 9ja got no hip hop undecided
Re: 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense by maxxdjinx(m): 10:48am On May 23, 2007
I am yet to relate what we call "Naija Hip-Hop" with our African/Nigerian cultural roots because it still lacks expression in quite a number of records published/released so far. My candid opinion is that we need to re-educate ourselves and appreciate our value system-that way it'll find dynamic expression in our music.
It [Nigerian Hip-Hop] is still in the elemental phase and our artistes deserve credit for what they've achieved so far. It'll take time but I see a greater future.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Did Dbanj Copy Durella? / Nairalander,iamsynord Drops Two New Singles / "Take You Home" By Lazyreporta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.