Stats: 3,154,134 members, 7,821,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel (1960 Views)

The Game Changer - An Action/crime Story / Jewel From The Ghetto: New Novel Release!!! / Lies From Pretty Lips (2) (3) (4)

WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by Oyinprince(m): 3:23pm On Oct 04, 2019
WEB OF LIES

Darren sampa had never been encouraged by his job as a detective at the Criminal Intelligent Department (CID), infact it doesn't seem like anything can make him like it. He never knew that a case he's totally not interested in is about to trigger his love for his job.

Well, the time have come when the skills of Detective Darren sampa will be put to the test. He will be working against the most hideous, powerful, mysterious and dangerous criminals in the state.

The thing is the more he investigates, the more complicated the case becomes. This is some sort of interesting abracadabra, and he must get to the root of it!

Who ever is involved in this scandal had perfectly crafted this Web, and people would keep dying until he finds out who is crafting this WEB OF LIES... Even Detective Darren and his family are not safe...

Get ready for this mind-blowing action/crime story... This Web of Lies would capture anyone that works against it!!

Stay tuned....

By

Brian Ngoma

Read more here - www.youngicee.com/stories/web-of-lies

Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by Gotee11(m): 10:14pm On Oct 05, 2019
I dey your back
Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by Doubra12(m): 11:30am On Oct 06, 2019
Following cool cool
Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by Oyinprince(m): 1:22pm On Oct 06, 2019
Web Of Lies - Episode 1

© Brian Ngoma

"Run faster Darren!" Chilufya yelled as they ran down the street chasing a suspect.

"Damn! I am doing my best, can't you see?" Darren groaned while panting heavily.

Between the two, Chilufya was the youngest and the fastest at running and every time these two partners were involved in a chase, Darren would always be left behind. Chilufya would always catch the culprit or at least try to.

"You have caught him?" Darren caught up with Chilufya who had caught the suspect and laid him down.

"As usual, sometimes i wonder why you are my partner because you're the laziest cop I have ever met in my life," Chilufya grimaced.

"Respect young man."

"Apparently you're the longest serving detective in the Crime Investigation Department and yet the laziest."

"Whatever. The CID veteran" Darren laughed and went on. "I hate this job, let's get back to the station. When I started fifteen years ago, it was interesting, i was a young man not now."

"A morning stake out is a good thing, isn't it?" He asked him. "You're only 38 Darren," Chilufya said while he drove out of the street.

"Exactly my point. I am old my friend. I need desk work not the chases. There's no fun in this anymore. A man like me is supposed to be reporting for work at 8am not go for 3am stakeouts."

"You have forgotten that CID officers work any hour of the day," Chilufya grinned. "How did the chief handle your last request by the way?"

"Like always. He rejected it," Darren answered sadly. "He said he is in so much pressure with the scandal of the Minister of Defense."

"Why is that Minister always in the NEWS?"

"It's his children that will be the death of him. Especially the daughter," Darren said thoughtfully.

"I think the son is much worse. No one really knows what happens with him. That boy is a mystery. I never thought having two children would be a hustle in this day and age. Just two and they act like they are ten," Chilufya Laughed as he stepped on the gas.

The two detectives arrived at Central police station at 8am and Chilufya took the suspect in as Darren remained in the car. He looked at the entrance of the station disgustingly and wondered why he had chosen this career. Growing up, Darren always wanted to be a professional basketball player. With his tall, thick and muscular body, with a light complexion that complimented his looks, he wanted to be a professional basketballer but that's not where life took him. Life took him where he was staring at in that moment. Basketball became a hobby. He got out of the car and went inside.

"Another successful pursuit?" Serena asked smiling while sited comfortably at the reception.

"Yes," He answered without looking at her.

"Good morning to you too Darren," Serena said rolling her eyes.

So beautiful but so dull, can't she read between the lines? Darren asked himself. Darren and Serena had something going on sometime back but it was a one sided thing. Serena was way over Darren but he couldn't give her what she needed the most; A perfect relationship. Darren was always unstable especially when it came to relationships. He went into a small office which was found at the far end of the long corridor in the station. The small office was his. He sat down and took a breath hoping he would no longer go back to the field and just remain in the office till he resigned. While in deep thoughts, he was interrupted by the enthusiastic and jovial young Jeremy.

"Morning sir, I ran down the fingerprints of the last suspect you and Detective Chilufya caught and they were confirmed. He did it," Jeremy said proudly. "All I need is for you to sign these papers and we can corner that fool."

Darren didn't say anything, he got the papers from Jeremy and signed. After finishing he dismissed him. Jeremy knew better not to disturb his boss whenever he was in this kind of mood. Darren watched him leave. Why was the young man always happy? Darren wondered. He remembered when Jeremy joined the station three years ago. The first day Jeremy reported, he was happy as it gets. He was a fresh newbie from Duquesne University School of Law in Pittsburgh. He was among the few selected privileged young men to be sent away abroad to study by the police force. He studied forensics and was also very good with technology like any young man of his age. He had his small laboratory in the station. They called him the brains in the station. All the evidence from crime scenes went to Jeremy.

RING RING RING

"Aren't you going to answer that?" Chilufya asked standing by Darren’s office door. "I have put the bastard in the cells and that ringtone is irritating, answer the phone."

"It's mother again. I am tired with her blind dates," Darren answered faded up. "I don't need a woman."

"Answer it. Deny as much as you want You need yourself a woman."

"Screw you Chilufya."

"I am just being honest. You pushed away Serena," Chilufya smiled. "Maybe this time it will work out. Anyway why should I bother? I am happily married."

"Get out!" Darren dismissed Chilufya.

He took a long breath and looked at his phone.

"Mother," he answered sounding calm.

"What kind of child are you? You're old and you don't think of me. All your siblings have given me grandchildren but you. Do you want me to die?" a furious mother complained bitterly on the other end of the line.

Darren knew better not to interrupt her when she spoke. He waited for her to finish.

"I Have heard mother and I am fine thanks," He said trying to cut her off.

"So next week you have to come and meet Ayana. She's 35, beautiful, short and light in complexion and not like the rest. She’s educated and has a good family background. Anyway will tell you more when you come."

"Bye mother," he hang up.

Every time Darren talked to his mother, he would become furious with rage that he hit the walls of his tiny suffocating office.

"Damn this woman!" He growled. "How dare she thinks can order me around? I am 38 years old for crying out loud. I don't need a woman to complete my life"

"Is everything alright?" Serena asked Darren standing on his office door.

Embarrassed he answered, “how can I help you Serena?"

"If you want to talk you know I am always...."

"State your business not that nonsense woman," he cut her.

"The chief is asking for you," She ran off hurt.

Without even recognizing what he had done to Serena, his mind drifted off to the chief. Was this the breakthrough that he had always wanted? Was this it? Did the chief reconsider his request? He quickly got up and walked to the chief’s office.

The previous day in the early evenings sat a girl on a balcony staring at the bright city of Lusaka. She admired the view and it gave her so much to think about. The view looked innocent and beautiful it reminded her of how innocent she once was. She sipped on some red wine and thought how blessed she was. She didn’t work for anything in her life, whatever she needed, it was provided for by her father. She checked her watch impatiently, grabbed the phone and dialed.

"Clarisa where the hell are you?" She asked irritated. "You know i don't like waiting."

"Be patient Fiona," Clarisa answered calmly. "I am outside your flat."

"The door is unlocked, Come up, I am in the balcony," Fiona took another sip of the red wine.

As soon as she put the phone down, it rang. She checked who it was, it was her father. She felt her stomach turn. She knew she was in deep trouble.

"I am here," Clarisa said sitting down.

Fiona looked at her and then the phone.

"He knows," Fiona said shaking.

"Better answer him and explain everything," Clarisa advised.

"You know nothing about my family Clarisa. Moreover, What can I explain about a sex tape? A daughter of the Minister? One of the respected man in this country and me as his daughter caught up in such a scandal? I won't answer the phone."

"Some ex boyfriends can be cruel Eish," Clarisa said thoughtfully.

"I don't understand everything. I didn't know he could stoop this low to release the sex tape. I don't even know what I saw in that junk, I trusted him with the tape." Fiona hit her head."

"Maybe your brother can handle him. I hear he's one of the most feared people in the city," Clarisa looked at Fiona.

"You don't know my brother. That bastard and me don't get along," she said with hate in her voice. "I don't even know where he is and I don't care."

"Where's Christopher by the way?"

"He doesn't want to talk to me. I understand him, he must be hurting. He loves me. That sex tape has ruined everything for me. I feel like killing myself."

"Don't say that, everything will pass. You better start attending class. The lecturers have been asking about you by the way."

"So that they scold me? My face is vividly clear in that tape. Everyone knows it's me," Fiona stood up hiding her pain.

"Enough of this, let's go out," Clarisa said.

"An outing would do yes," Fiona carried her handbag.

The two girls went to club 101 as always. The duo had a great time. They met a fine gentleman who seemed interested in Fiona. The two girls were too drunk to even ask for his name. Having fun is what mattered at the time. The man drove them around town from club to club. Clarisa got tired and remembered they had an 8am lecture in the morning.

"Let's get going!" She shouted as the music was too loud.

"No let's enjoy the night, you only live once" Fiona yelled as she danced to her favorite song Despacito.

Clarisa tried to convince her friend to go back to the flat but she refused. She seemed comfortable with the stranger in her waist dancing with their bodies tight to each other like glue. On nights like this when Fiona refused to leave a club, Clarisa would just leave her and go back to the flat. She did just that.

The following morning, Clarisa woke up with a terrible hangover. She didn't remember how she got to the flat. She reached for an aspirin in a drawer. She looked at the time and it was 08;45. She was late for her lecture and she knew how tough Mrs. Hillbilly was. No matter how much she would beg to enter the classroom, she would never be allowed. Instead, She threw herself onto the bed and hit the covers with frustration. Why do i allow Fiona to use me like a puppet? She asked herself forgetting she was the one who suggested an outing.

"I depend on this and she has everything even without an education," Clarisa moaned.

After spending an hour on the bed, she decided to go downstairs to have some coffee. As she was about to leave the room, she heard a doorbell and thought it was Fiona though That was unusual because Fiona had a key. She left the bedroom and just as she stepped a foot on the stairs, she saw Fiona laying in a pool of blood with lingerie only.

"Fiona!" She screamed. "Help!"

She checked for a pulse and there was none. Fiona was not breathing. Being a medical student, Clarisa knew there and then that her friend was dead.

"Help!" She shouted again.

The door opened forcefully. A man in his 60s and a woman stood on the door shocked and in disbelief. Clarisa looked at them and could recognize them from the newspapers and TV. She had seen them before but she was in shock to remember them.

"Who are you? What are you doing in our daughters house? What have you done to our daughter?" The woman cried out. "Don't just stand there, call 911," She looked at the man who was trying to figure what he had just seen.

"Get away from her," The woman shouted at Clarisa. "You will pay for this."

"I found her like this too," Clarisa cried out moving away from the corpse.

You can read more episodes here - www.youngicee.com/stories/web-of-lies

Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by DivineSpecial(f): 11:22pm On Oct 06, 2019
I think is the gentleman she was with
Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by Tygold1(f): 4:01pm On Oct 07, 2019
As usual Oyin, the suspense never ends. wink Keep it coming prince, following smiley
Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by skubido(m): 4:21pm On Oct 07, 2019
Following
Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by Oyinprince(m): 5:57pm On Oct 09, 2019
Web Of Lies - Episode 2

In his late 50s, the chief of police had done good for himself and his family. He was a well respected man in the police force. Short, dark in complexion and a scar on his chin. When he was asked how he got the scar, he always said those are the pecks of being a police officer. The chief didn't talk much but whenever he did, no one dared to cross his path. Everyone feared the small man and was given the respect he earned.

"Yes sir i will handle it. I will put my best men on the case," the chief said on the phone.

Darren entered the office and found the chief on the phone with a serious face. Darren could feel the strange atmosphere in the office. The chief pointed Darren to a chair without even looking at him. Darren sat down and envied the office like he had always done. With an animal painting on the big wall on his left, a huge table piled with books, files and a monitor, a big window behind the chair that gave a beautiful view to the mall opposite the station, a mini upright freezer in the corner to the chief's right and an air conditioner installed some inches before the ceiling, the chief was living a dream at work. Who would go home with an office like this? Darren asked himself and thought about his tiny dusty suffocating office downstairs that didn't even have a door knob on the door.

"Good morning Darren," the chief put down the receiver.

"Morning Mr Mambwe," Darren said with respect in his voice.

"Let's not waste time here, we have a possible homicide in Makeni. The victim is no other than Fiona Chibuye," Mr Mabwe said sadly.

"The ministers daughter?" Darren asked astound.

"Yes Darren."

"That's unfortunate. But where do i fall in now?"

"I am assigning you to the case. I want you to do everything you can to find out what happened."

Darrens eyes were wide open. It had been three years since he was assigned a murder case and the last time he dealt with a murder case, he couldn't manage to solve it. He ended up being crowned worst cop of the year.

"But sir you know my history with murder cases," he said worryingly.

"All the more reasons i am assigning you to the case. Don't you feel you need some redemption? You're getting old." The chief stared at him.

"What i need is not to go out in the field but stay in the office," Darren said confidently.

"I see. Let me make you a deal then. If you solve this case, i will put your request into consideration and probably give you a promotion," The chief grinned.

"Really sir?" Darrens face brightened.

"Yes. Now run along, go to the scene and you should take your partner with you."

"I promise i will do my best," Darren left the chiefs office excitedly.

For the first time in years, Darren felt like a young man again. His breakthrough was finally in sight. Not only was his request going to be approved but also a promotion. This meant a raise and probably go on a vacation that he had always been dreaming about. Darren was delirious.

"My daughter, why?" Fiona's mother cried. "You killed her," she pointed at Clarisa.

Clarisa was curled up in the corner of the small house. She was in terror and in disbelief. She had even stopped tearing up and her eyes were sore. The parademics had arrived at the scene and confirmed that Fiona was dead. They wanted to lift the body when a husky voice stopped them.

"This is a crime scene, you don't mess with the corpse like that," Darren said hastily still outside as the door was wide open.

The parademics looked at each other seemingly lost and wondered who the man was. One of the young parademics told their coworkers to step back. Darren walked in the house to the body ensuring he didnt step on the blood and knelt before the corpse. He stared at it for a while looking around the small beautiful place. He looked back at Chilufya and gave him a sign to go upstairs. He asked for some gloves from the young parademic and checked the body. He checked the neck and noticed that it was red covered with bruises. He stood up and wondered where the blood had come from. He knelt once again but to roll the body on the other side. Since she died in lingerie, Darren was met with the gruesome black marks on the body. He couldn't see them before because she was found laying face down. He felt a chilly feeling thinking about how someone could do that to a girl.

"This is homicide," he said out loudly.

"She did it!" Fiona's mother pointed at Clarisa.

Darren went to Fiona's father and mother and took them to a small living room. They sat down and he waited for them to calm down. He noticed that Fiona's father had worn a sweater which went upto to his kneck despite the hot weather. On the other hand, Fiona's mother had worn a red dress that fitted her so tightly for her age and officiality. Brushing his attention to detail aside, He took a small notebook and looked at them for a while once again. He didn't know how they were feeling because he had no experience in that kind of grief. One thing he knew was that they were hurting. He remembered when he was young and came home with a red eye and swollen mouth, his mother cried like he was dead. That woman, he wondered.

"I believe this is not your residence, right?" Darren looked at them.

They both nodded.

"What were you doing here?" He asked carefully not to push them.

"What sort of question is that?" Fiona's mother asked angrily.

"Our daughter had not been answering her phone and we were worried. She's a mess so we decided to come here and found the girl in that corner kneeling before our daughters body," Fiona's father said pointing at Clarisa.

"You're supposed to be interrogating that girl," Fiona's mother interrupted angrily.

Darren looked at Clarisa and could tell she was shaken. Reason he didn't want to interrogate her first was because of that, she wouldn't have made sense. Hence starting with Fiona's parents.

"Do you know the girl?" Darren asked them.

"This is our first time seeing her," Fiona's father responded.

"So what you are telling me is that You don't know this girl you found in your daughters flat kneeling before the dead body?" Darren asked insensitively. Realizing that he had probably hurt the parents feelings, he rephrased his question putting an emphasis on the name Fiona.

"Yes detective, we don't know her."

Darren stood up and walked to Clarisa who couldn't look at him in the eyes. He felt sorry for the girl but he had no choice but subject her to the questioning. Feelings of suspects didn't matter in these kind of situations, he told himself nearing where Clarisa had sat.

"Darren!" Chilufya called from upstairs.

Darren left Clarisa and rushed upstairs. He found Chilufya standing looking rather suspiciously at the closet.

"What is it Chilufya?" Darren asked.

"See this?" he pointed at the closet.

"I only see clothes, what?"

"A man was also living here. There are men clothes in this closet."

That interested Darren and knew that one who could know about the clothes was The girl downstairs. Darren looked around once more and everything seemed to be in it's place in the room. He was about to leave the room when something prompted him to check under the bed. He knelt down and saw a phone. He stretched his arm and reached for it.

"Iphone 7 hmmm," Chilufya nodded. "One other thing Darren, there's no sign of force entry but i noticed something on the stair handles when coming up here."

"I am listening," Darren said while trying to unlock the iphone.

"It didn't look right. It's as if someone was trying to pull it off. Being that it's made of wood, i even noticed a nail missing."

"I saw that too. As a matter of fact, there is a tiny blood stain on the wood and it seems our dead girl was trying to run to the bedroom while the offender was pulling her."

"So it was a pull-pull game. She was holding on to the stair handle while the perpetrator was pulling her downstairs," Chilufya added. "Whoever did it sure is strong and our girl didn't just die without putting up a fight."

"Our suspect probably has some bruises or injuries on their face," Darren said putting the iphone in a small plastic and headed downstairs. He went straight to Clarisa and stood before her.

"Whose phone is this?" He showed her the phone.

"That's Fiona's phone," Clarisa answered shakingly.

"Where did you find your friend? Stairs or the bedroom?"

"Right below the first step sir," Clarisa looked at Fiona's body on the floor.

Darrens suspicions were now being put to the test. The dead girl was found right below the starter stair and her phone under the bed. Something was not right, Darren thought to himself. Darren called the other officers on the scene and instructed them to take Clarisa to the station for questioning. Darren went back to Fiona's parents.

"This is definitely a murder, we will do our best to catch the offender. I am sorry for your loss," Darren turned around.

"I hope you do your best because I don't think you're right for this job Darren Sampa Junior," Fiona's father said.

How he hated to be called by his full name. He froze for a while and felt his temper rise. The hot weather made it even worse. He clenched his fist and bit his lower lip that he almost dug his teeth into the fresh. He almost turned around when Chilufya came and signed to him to let it go.

"Thank you Minister, if anything we will get back to you," Chilufya said patting Darrens shoulder.

The two detectives left the flat and went to the car. They drove in silence and Chilufya knew how upset Darren was.

"Bastard son of a gun," Darren hit the cars compartment.

"Chill, you will ruin my car," Chilufya said. "He's the minister you know? Let's just do our job. Whatever happened to your last murder case doesn't have to determine the outcome of this case."

Darren and Chilufya reached the station when Darrens phone rang. It was his mother.

"What again? I just talked to her this morning."

He answered it.

"I am at your office with Ayana," she hang up.

"What?"

Chilufya laughed at him. They both entered the station and As always met Serena at the reception. They didn't talk to her and she acted like she had not seen them.

"Have Jeremy go to the crime scene Chilufya," Darren instructed Chilufya. "And give him the phone," he passed the phone to him.

Darren rushed to his office and found his mother with Ayana. They had already made themselves comfortable in his small office. He sat down and looked at the both of them after greeting them.

"This is Ayana, isn't she pretty?" His mother asked excitedly.

Darren looked at the shy Ayana and thought for a while. He then shifted his attention to his mother and sighed.

"I don't like her mother," he said.

#ColderThanACorpse

(THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION. NAMES, CHARACTERS, BUSINESSES, EVENTS AND INCIDENTS ARE EITHER THE PRODUCTS OF THE AUTHORS IMAGINATION OR USED IN A FICTITIOUS MANNER. ANY RESEMBLANCE TO ACTUAL PERSONS, LIVING OR DEAD, OR ACTUAL EVENTS IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.)

© Brian Ngoma

To be continued

Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by DivineSpecial(f): 10:40pm On Oct 09, 2019
Love wantiti... Oyin go and update Seductive Amina before I para
Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by skubido(m): 11:00pm On Oct 09, 2019
Thanks for the update
Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by Oyinprince(m): 10:41pm On Oct 11, 2019
DivineSpecial:
Love wantiti... Oyin go and update Seductive Amina before I para
Finish it on the website na - www.youngicee.com/seductive-amina
Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by Oyinprince(m): 4:05am On Oct 15, 2019
Web Of Lies - Episode 3

Darrens mother always ensured that her three children had the best in their lives. All the three were doing fine. What worried her the most was Darren who at the age of 38 was not married and didn't seem to be marrying anytime soon. She had taken it upon herself to find her son a wife. She knew how difficult her son was but she persisted in setting him up for blind dates. It was through this tireless venture that she met Ayana. Apparently, another woman told her about a single 35 year old beautiful woman. When Darrens mother saw Ayana, she couldn't believe her eyes and wondered why the beautiful woman was still without a husband. She immediately thought about Darren and didn't want to waste anymore time.

"Isn't he at work?" Ayana asked when Darrens mother forced her to go with her to the station. "I can se him some other time.'

"Today is a good day, despite his work, he will spare some time for us and with your beauty, he will definitely see us." Darrens mother said confidently.

On their way to the station, she kept thinking about how impressed her son would be. She thought Darren would fall in love with Ayana on first sight. Little did she know that the opposite would be true.

"What do you mean you don't like her?" Darrens mother asked furiously.

"I said I don't like her, do i have to explain myself?" Darren answered. "No offense intended," he looked at Ayana.

"Mother i am sorry, i have to leave now, I have work ," Ayana lied and excused herself before leaving Darrens office.

"Look what you have done Darren," Darrens mother stood up furious. "Go and apologize to that beautiful woman right now."

"Beautiful," he laughed. "I don't even know her, why should I apologize and what for? I have just said the truth. And if you don't mind, i have an interrogation to go to."

Startled, Darrens mother left the small office without saying a word. Darren looked at his watch and also left his office and went to the holding cell where Clarisa was held. At the door, he found Chilufya waiting for him.

"How did it go?" Chilufya asked opening the door.

"I don't want to talk about it, we have a murder to solve on our hands."

Darren and Chilufya found Clarisa still shaking. She had grown tired of waiting.

"Am i under arrest?" Clarisa inquired.

"No, we just need to ask you a few questions that's all," Chilufya said in a friendly manner.

Darren took a sit and stared at Clarisa for some good few seconds. He observed her movements and her facial expressions while she talked to Chilufya.

"So how did you find yourself at Fiona's place?" Darren asked.

"On most nights when we go out, i crash there,' Clarisa answered and added. "Fiona was my classmate."

"How long have you known her and why don't her parents know you?"

"We knew each other last year first semester. About her parents, i never was introduced formally to them."

"Ever quarreled?"

"Over petty stuff yes."

"Might you know whose man's clothes in Fiona's closet belong to?" Chilufya probed.

"Those are Christopher's.""

"Whose Christopher?" Darren joined.

"Fiona's boyfriend, but they were not in talking terms for a week now."

"Do you know why?"

"I don't like meddling in other people's personal affairs," Clarisa lied. She knew exactly why her dead friend was not in good terms with the boyfriend.

"Are you sure you don't know?" Darren asked further with furrows forming on his forehead.

"I don't know detective," she answered firmly.

"How did you get at Fiona's place after the club by the way?" Chilufya asked suspiciously.

"I think i booked a cab," Clarisa responded unsurely.

"You think?"

"I know but I don't remember how i got there. In the morning i found myself on Fiona's bed. That's all i can remember," Clarisa said.

"What time did you reach the flat?"

"I left the club around three in the morning."

"Anyone who can confirm what you've told us?" Darren looked directly into her eyes.

"I think Fiona posted some pictures on instagram. You can check. Use my phone," Clarisa gave Darren her phone.

Darren went through Fiona's instagram profile and saw alot of pictures and videos. This girl was full of life, he thought to himself. It was unfortunate she had to meet her fate like that. Darren stumbled across the pictures from the previous night and saw Clarisa and Fiona having a good time. He scrutinized the photos and one photo caught his attention.

"Who is this man?" Darren showed Clarisa the picture.

"I don't know him but he was with us from 11pm last night. He seemed rather interested in Fiona. He even drove us around. As a matter of fact, i left her with him."

"You left your friend with a total stranger?" Darren asked surprised.

Clarisa didn't say anything.

"These youths," Chilufya nodded.

Darren left the interrogation room and headed to the small Laboratory just opposite his office. He found Jeremy busy working on some items he collected from the crime scene.

"Were you given the iphone?" Darren asked Jeremy.

"Yes sir but I haven't managed to bypass the password yet. You know iPhones and their security," Jeremy laughed.

"I dont know about that, all i need is the phone unlocked and we can probably find something of greater importance to the case. Work on it as soon as possible," Darren said and went on. "I also need information on the time and cause of death.'

"The coroner will do their job on that sir."

"I am telling you Jeremy," Darren said.

"Alright sir, i will give you the details.'

Darren couldn't help himself but think there was something fishy about this case. With his mind running wild with questions, he went back to the interrogation room.

Just before he opened the door, he heard some joyful noise coming from outside accompanied by blank gun shots and the only people to make such noise were the specilist team led by Xavier. They were also referred to as the C5. Every police officer wanted to be them but Darren. Darren and Xavier never saw eye to eye. Before becoming a C5, Xavier and Darren worked as partners for a while. They loathed each other. One time they even fought at the station and Darren was suspended for a month. Xavier was never suspended. When Darren asked why Xavier wasn't suspended, the response he got from the chief was that Xavier was more important to the force than a mere low life detective. Since then, Darren knew that Xavier was the chiefs favorite. Rumor had it that Xavier handled the chiefs errands.

"Detective on a murder case?" Xavier shouted as he saw Darren at the entrance of the interrogation room.

Darren stiffened.

"Worst cop of the century," a member of the C5 shouted.

They all laughed.

"Give a man a break. He will find the murderer this time. Right DJ?" Xavier asked scoldingly.

Darren shifted uneasily.

"Cat got his tongue," they all burst into laughter before heading upstairs were their department was.

Darren composed himself, took a breath and entered the interrogation room.

"Help me understand something," he stormed into the room and looked at Clarisa. "You say you left your friend at a club and went to her house. You don't remember how you got there and you woke up finding her dead. The phone your friend used to take pictures of the two of you and the unknown man was found under the bed you slept on?"

"I need a lawyer!" Clarisa shouted. "I know my rights."

Darren and Chilufya looked at each other. They left the room with sad faces.

"We have ourself a first suspect," Darren told Chilufya. "The motive? Why would she need her friend dead?"

"Remember you said the offender probably has some bruises on them. I don't see any bruises on that girl," Chilufya said.

"That's the reason i said suspect you idiot," Darren smiled mischievously. "She should be released, we don't have anything on her yet.'

"The stranger on the photos too," Chilufya added. "It will be difficult to identify that face though, it's not clear," He sighed. "It's late now, let's go home. I heard Xavier and the boys scold you."

"He knows there's nothing i can do about it. He's the chiefs favorite and i cannot touch him. One day, only one day is all it takes to put that bastard in his place," Darren said clenching his fist unconsciously.

"I hope that day never comes. I have gone home. See you tomorrow partner."

"You go ahead, let me sort some things before i go," Darren went straight to his office.

He sat down on his table with a piece of paper with notes on it. He checked the time on his watch and it was 17:45. He had nothing to do at his place, as a matter of fact he hated his place because it reminded him of how lonely and pathetic his life was. He turned his thoughts to the pecks of accomplishing the case on his hands. It was a high profile case and he needed to do his best. He couldn't let anything distort him from solving it. He left his office and got a cab back to his place.

Located in Thornpark, Darrens house was a self contained two bedroom with a decent kitchen and a small living room that had a sofa and a LED samsung TV mounted on the wall. Upon arrival, he noticed that the door was unlocked. Someone is inside, he told himself. He pushed the door further which led directly to the living room. There was no sign of anyone. He tiptoed carefully to the kitchen and found nothing but food well prepared on the table. The cooker was still warm. The only person who had a key was Serena. Since they were done with their relationship, he couldn't think of anyone else that could find their way into his house and cook something for him. He then went to his bedroom and found the light was on and the door slightly open.

"Whose there!" He shouted wishing he had a gun with him.

There was no response. He entered the bedroom. Bewildered but not surprised, he found Serena standing in front of his mirror. Still in her uniform which comprised a tight short skirt which was slightly above her knees. Too tight that it showed her curves perfectly. She swirled her hair and her side of the face could be seen clearly by Darren. She bit her lower lip followed by a pout that could make any man bow to her wishes. Aware of Darrens presence, she bent down seemingly pulling up her tights which were in their place. Darrens face turned red with lust. He could feel his blood boiling as a volcano about to explode.

"Come here papi," she said in a low tone.

Darren walked slowly to her like a Zombie. He reached where she was and stood motionless looking at her endowed behind.

"Hold me papi," she said.

Darren did as told. His heart was out of place. Feeling her back against his body sent him into a world of sensations inexplicable.

"I miss you. I need you so much papi," she softly said in his ear biting his earlobe.

#Manipulations &Frustrations

(THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION. NAMES, CHARACTERS, BUSINESSES, EVENTS AND INCIDENTS ARE EITHER THE PRODUCTS OF THE AUTHORS IMAGINATION OR USED IN A FICTITIOUS MANNER. ANY RESEMBLANCE TO ACTUAL PERSONS, LIVING OR DEAD, OR ACTUAL EVENTS IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.)

© Brian Ngoma

To be continued

Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by Oyinprince(m): 4:06am On Oct 15, 2019
Web Of Lies - Episode 4

"A relapse? Urrgh," Darren growled. "Why do i allow myself to fall into her traps? I have told her again and again that I don't want anything to do with her," he hit his head. "Perhaps, i should demand the key Frome her."

Serena left early in the morning claiming she had to get to work as fast as possible. Darren stared at her as she wore her clothes after having a shower. He couldn't resist the sight of a bare goddess in his sight innocently acting like he was not in the room. Pacing about fronting her seductive body with all the mightiness in her. She enjoyed playing with his mind like that.

"Goodbye papi," she waved him goodbye and on her way she went.

Darren got out of bed and prepared himself for work. He went into his small kitchen and found breakfast prepared for him. As soon as he saw it, he cringed.

"Serena is something else," he sat on the chair and dug in.

As he was about to finish up, Chilufya called him. When Chilufya called Darren, it wasn't about chit chats but serious business. Darren didn't care about his partners personal life. He only knew he was married.

"Chilufya," Darren answered the phone.

"Get here quickly, we have a lead," Chilufya hang up the phone.

Darren quickly got out of his chair, grabbed his coat and phone and rushed for the door. He opened it and found his mother about to knock.

"Mother what are you doing here?"

"Is it wrong to visit my son?" She pushed him aside and entered the house.

Confused and uneasy, Darren went back inside. His mother made herself comfortable on a sofa. She looked around and looked at Darren dubiously while he stood motionless looking at her.

"There was a woman here?" She paused.

Darren felt weak in his knees.

"Why didn't you tell me? I couldn't have brought Ayana at your workplace for you to embarrass her." She complained.

Darren only looked at her while he kept checking his watch.

"Who is she? What does she do? How old is she?"

"There was no woman here mother," He answered impatiently.

"Don't lie to me, you cannot prepare yourself breakfast. That's the reason you have gained abruptly," She said happily. "I can smell a feminine perfume. Tell me i am your mother Darren. Why are you like this?"

"Mother there was no woman here," he raised his voice.

"Sometimes i wonder if you're my son."

Darrens face was blank.

"Well, Ayana is willing to give you another chance. Here is her number," she handed him a piece of paper which he didn't take. Realizing he won't grab it, she put it under the glass table. "You have to call her."

"Mother I am late," he looked at her agitated.

"Don't kill me i am leaving. Call Ayana," she looked at him direct in the eyes.

"There was a woman here yes," He said trying to stop her from talking about Ayana.

"Tell me about her," her eyes brightened.

"It was a prostitute i picked up last night"

Darrens mother almost fell on the floor with shock. She looked at him after balancing herself on the grill door. She didn't say anything but leave. Darren locked his door and found his cab driver waiting for him outside.

"A woman who came out of your compound sir was almost crying and in total terror. Is everything alright sir?" The cab driver asked.

"Just drive," Darren said hastily.

He arrived at the station and walked to Chilufyas office next to his. Finding Chilufya talking to his wife on the phone, Darren watched him impatiently as if he can grab his phone and smash it on the ground.

"Tell me, what's the lead?" Darren asked before Chilufya could even put the phone on the table.

"There is a sex tape," Chilufya said looking at Darren.

"A sex tape? Whose?"

"Fiona's."

"Our dead girl?"

"Yes."

"Oh my. That girl. Where has this information come from."

"Her friend Clarisa told me yesterday when i went to release her. I put her in a tight situation," Chilufya smiled.

"What if? What if?"

"What if what Darren?" Chilufya asked curiously.

"What if the sex tape has more to do with this murder than anything else?" Any idea when it surfaced?'

"Days before Fiona's demise."

"Is the man recognizable in the video?"

"No and the friend doesn't know either. She claims she was not told."

"What if the killer didn't want to be known or identified? What if she threatened him and he decided to get rid of her?"

"That makes sense. Only problem is no one knows who the man in the video is."

"Who released the video?"

"Her friend said it's the ex boyfriend who released the video on social media. I watched the video and the face of the man or body is not vivid but Fiona can be seen in all angles," Chilufya said trying to show the video to Darren.

"Not now," He rejected the phone. "We have to find the ex boyfriend. Did her friend say anything about his whereabouts?"

"She said the boyfriend knows where the ex boyfriend lives. Apparently they used to be best friends and Fiona dumped the other one for his friend," Chilufya said smiling.

"Our dead girl has a baggage. Let's get going."

They left the office and headed to the parking lot where they found the chief standing with Xavier talking seriously. Ignoring them, the two got in Chilufyas car.

"What's with those two?" Darren asked fastening his seatbelt.

"I don't know." Chilufya answered.

"Sampa Darren!" The chief called Darren.

Darren got out of the car and walked to the chief. Xavier left as soon as Darren got out of the car.

"Morning chief," Darren said.

"Hows the investigation so far?"

"Good sir. We have leads and there's a sex tape."

The chief flinched and asked," A sex tape?"

"Yes sir. A sex tape but we couldn't recognize the man in it, only our dead girl. The ex boyfriend might know who is in it but we don't know where he is so we are going to the boyfriends place who happens to be friends with the ex boyfriend."

"Don't confuse me, run along," The chief dismissed Darren.

"When i mentioned the sex tape to the chief, he reacted unusual," Darren told Chilufya.

"Unusual? How?"

"I don't know. Nervous like."

"Oh. Do you know that the chief and the Minister of defense are childhood friends?"

"Heard something like that. I don't pay attention. So that's probably the reason the chief became nervous."

"Probably, yes! because our dead girl was more like a daughter to him to too. I heard from one of the officers that she even used to come at the station."

"I never saw her. So Childhood friends?"

"Yes. The chief owe his position to the Minister. Apparently, when Fiona's father found work in the government, he also helped his friend who was a neighborhood officer some years ago."

"Wait. How do you know all this Chilufya?" Darren asked.

"I am a detective," He laughed. "On a serious note, this is high class case, it will either raise our ranks or pull us down."

"I am aware Chilufya," Darren nodded. He didn't tell Chilufya the reason he accepted the case but was more than happy to learn that he was in direct cahoots with the Minister of Defense.

They reached Kabwata township at around 11:20am. Clarisa gave them the direction to the place. They got to the alleged house and found it open with some soccer noise coming from it. They knocked but there was no one coming out of the house. Darren looked at Chilufya and gave him a sign to enter. It was a one bedroom house with a kitchen being a part of the living room. Looking at the living room, there was evidence that there were people around. There was a bottle of whiskey on the table with two filled cups. Darren heard some noise coming from the other room. He went straight to it and found a woman pouncing up and down on a man all naked.

"Jesus!" Darren yelled going back to the other room. "Police here. Put on some clothes."

"We want to talk to Christopher," Chilufya shouted.

"I am coming," Christopher yelled from the other room.

Darren looked at Chilufya and chuckled. Christopher came out of the room embarrased. He pointed the two men to a chair which was in a mess.

"No thanks," Darren refused to sit looking at the chair disgustingly. "Are you Christopher?"

"Yes sir," Christopher answered.

"When was the last time you saw Fiona? Your other girlfriend it seems."

"I saw her last week sir. I have not seen her since then, is she in trouble?" Christopher inquired.

"She is dead," Darren said straightforward.

"What?" Christopher asked surprised. "What do you mean dead? Fiona cannot be dead."

Darren looked at Chilufya.

"Well she is," Darren said.

Christopher started weeping and Darren handed him a tissue. Chilufya looked around the house. Darren intuitively looked at Christopher. Was this acting or was he being sincere? He was with a woman on top of him and he's acting like he was faithful. Darren couldn't have any of it anymore.

"Stop this. There's a woman in here and you're crying over your dead girlfriend. Quit it will you?"

Chilufya and Christopher were both surprised.

"Where were you in the early mornings of yesterday?" Darren asked.

"I was with her."

"Who? damn it."

Scared, Christopher looked in the direction of his bedroom.

"You mean you were shagging the other girl?" Darren asked.

"Yes sir," Christopher faced down.

"Young lady, come out!" Chilufya called out.

The girl came out shaking with a t shirt and a short. She knelt before Darren and Chilufya.

"Don't you have clothes to wear?" Darren asked and went on. "Was Christopher with you yesterday in the early mornings?"

"Yes sir, i have been here for three days now," she replied.

"Do you know he has another girlfriend?"

"Fiona, yes."

Surprised, Darren asked, "aren't you happy now?"

"Happy?" The girl asked surprised.

"Fiona is out of the picture now."

"What do you mean out of the picture? Did she dump him?" The girl looked at Christopher.

"She's dead."

"What?"

"Happy is the surviving girlfriend."

"No sir. I don't know about that. Christopher, is that the reason you wanted me here? To comfort you?" She looked at Christopher disappointed.

"No babe," Christopher answered. "I have just been told too."

"I am done with you.Oh my God, i feel like an idiot."

"Well, you're both idiots." Darren looked at the girl. 'Don't you have any shame? Darren asked. "Go back to the bedroom and lock yourself up. Think about how stupid you are."

The girl went back to the bedroom and locked herself up.

Christopher was scared to his wits. He couldn't even look at The two detectives faces.

"Let's go. Stand up," Darren ordered Christopher.

"Am i under arrest sir?" Christopher asked getting up.

"Take us to Fiona's ex boyfriends place?"

"Williams place?" He asked in shock.

"Yes," Chilufya answered.

"That man is a monster, he will kill me sir. Please i cannot go there please sir i cannot," Christopher begged.

"I can also kill you if i were him. You stole his girlfriend. He was your best friend."

Surprised that these men seemed to know a lot about him, Christopher became even more scared.

"He's a savage. He will beat me up once he sees me. He has anger issues. That's the reason Fiona left him," Christopher complained while being dragged outside.

"I need to see this monster," Darren said walking to the door.

#UNCLAIMEDBAGGAGE

#EPISODE_5_ON_MONDAY

© Brian Ngoma

To be continued

Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by Oyinprince(m): 9:23am On Jan 06, 2020
Anyone reading this? Should I continue?

Re: WEB OF LIES - Action/crime Novel by Holluwaphlexy(m): 12:11am On Nov 28, 2020
Oyinprince:
Anyone reading this? Should I continue?

continue please and can i get the direct link of this story on your site

Selling A Screenplay Online To The Hollywood Market. / The Arasaka Contract / Dotted Lines

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184