Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,417 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

"GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" (27247 Views)

Cheap Tokunbo 2008 Nissan Versa For Sale. Uber And Bolt Riders Take Note / Paid For Fuel Using Opay / Buy GPS Trackers From Us At Wholesale Prices (CUT FUEL/STOP ENGINE, 10K) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by lilachiever(m): 1:28pm On Oct 05, 2019
Ah!
Real spoofing... A trip of 8.4km cost me #487 (no discount)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 05, 2019
I love Opay

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by olumzzz(m): 1:31pm On Oct 05, 2019
Wilston:
Hmmm y dubious.....no business can last by cheating others...this ideas are great but some Nigerians always look for how to exploit others ...the other day an uber driver took me from oregun to meiran and showed me 8k as bill using the little traffic as excuse.
I paid 3k and report overcharged to uber was refunded 1200 back the original cost of trip was 1800.

We as a nation should stop looking for ways to gain and exploit others .

It is likely the opay riders have started manipulating their GPS like some uber drivers to inflate prices.

May God help us all.
Mr Oga, how can you claim to pay 3k for an 8k trip. Even if you were to report been overcharged, you would at least have paid the 8k else driver no go let you go.
Forgive me if i don't believe your story.

6 Likes

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by djbussy(m): 1:32pm On Oct 05, 2019
Pray for God Abundant blessing so you can forget your balance with Opay.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by MistadeRegal(m): 1:33pm On Oct 05, 2019

Na who come travel zig zag so like hunting eagle?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by eghuan1(m): 1:34pm On Oct 05, 2019
ornicus:
Interesting. Can this be done by uber drivers as well?

Where do you think Opay riders learnt it from?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by kennys: 1:35pm On Oct 05, 2019
Wilston:
Hmmm y dubious.....no business can last by cheating others...this ideas are great but some Nigerians always look for how to exploit others ...the other day an uber driver took me from oregun to meiran and showed me 8k as bill using the little traffic as excuse.
I paid 3k and report overcharged to uber was refunded 1200 back the original cost of trip was 1800.

We as a nation should stop looking for ways to gain and exploit others .

It is likely the opay riders have started manipulating their GPS like some uber drivers to inflate prices.

May God help us all.

Honesty goes along way ,some people will just like to misuse the hard earn opportunity. Why increasing the fares? just because u want to make earn meet. Nigerians will not innovate but will only be finding means of destroying the one available...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Afiahomes(m): 1:35pm On Oct 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:
On Thursday 3rd October 2019 i used the services of the popular OPAY ride in Lagos, from ojodu Berger where you have the Bovas petrol station on ogunnusi road to my shop off college road ifako ijaye.

It was a smooth ride and the rider was very pleasant and experienced.

On reaching my destination i clicked on the pay icon without even bothering to look at how much the trip would cost, i am a heavy user of the app so i estimated in my head it would not be more than ₦230 due to distance and duration also factoring the discount I get each time I use the account option.

I was curious and decided to take a look at the trip after the rider left, when I looked I was shocked ! A trip of 4.6km was billed at ₦967!! I checked the review of the map and noticed gps spoofing in local terms "sakamje" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoofing_attack

It could have been intentional or it could have been gps failure, but what ever the case, I have reported it. The customer service is really not so efficient as all I got was we will escalate it sad still waiting for the escalated refund but in the mean time everyone should always review their trips for GPS fraud.

Below is a screen shot of the trip, and the screenshot of a longer trip.
Mech without a car? shocked shocked

where is Sienna? grin grin

1 Like

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Anitoya: 1:36pm On Oct 05, 2019
noobody:

I can attest to this,they have really helped me a lot in the past 2 month,lagos rain,traffic,Opay is always there to bail me out and get me there safely,super fast and very cheap,gokada don dey b like past tense now sef

But this issue raised by the OP is sometin of great concern,never noticed such abnormalities thou,cos befor i request ride,i dey see the estimated value,so by the time i am paying,all my discount minus the value,shld not exceed the est value i saw earlier,

Time to be on the look out for this i guess

Experienced same too on the 3rd. Called Thier customer service lines and gave them the details they are still looking into it till today.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by ProAnti: 1:37pm On Oct 05, 2019
ornicus:
Interesting. Can this be done by uber drivers as well?

I have experienced this on Uber.

I didn't realise until about 6 weeks after the trip. Reported to Uber but their response was that they couldn't refund my money as the incident was beyond their one month timeline of reporting cases.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by FarahAideed: 1:40pm On Oct 05, 2019
BEANSndPLANTAIN:
You should at least blur the names on the screenshot

What will anyone do with those names? Nigerians always feel somebody imaginary after Dem

1 Like

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by thesmallgod(m): 1:46pm On Oct 05, 2019
Believe gazzuz at your own peril. Have you ever google your name on google. You need spiritual cleansing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 1:49pm On Oct 05, 2019
Megir:
That is the handwork of low end Chinese android phones. Their GPS accuracies is very poor.
Most of this Operators knows and they usually deliberately go for such phones.
iPhones, Xiaomi,Oppo,HTC and Samsung are more reliable.
The management of Opay should do something about this fraud before it cripple their business.

GPS has nothing to do with the phone quality. As used by ride services, it is simply an app, dependent on software from the company and location data from the Telecom provider.
Your phone is not involved in generating the data.
It only displays the result of the computation.

Any phone can be used to spoof gps if the owner downloads the appropriate software.

1 Like

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by shegzhkn: 1:52pm On Oct 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:
On Thursday 3rd October 2019 i used the services of the popular OPAY ride in Lagos, from ojodu Berger where you have the Bovas petrol station on ogunnusi road to my shop off college road ifako ijaye.

On reaching my destination i clicked on the pay icon without even bothering to look at how much the trip would cost, i am a heavy user of the app so i estimated in my head it would not be more than ₦230 due to distance and duration also factoring the discount I get each time I use the account option.

I was curious and decided to take a look at the trip after the rider left, when I looked I was shocked ! A trip of 4.6km was billed at ₦967!! I checked the review of the map and noticed gps spoofing in local terms "sakamje" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoofing_attack

It could have been intentional or it could have been gps failure, but what ever the case, I have reported it. The customer service is really not so efficient as all I got was we will escalate it sad still waiting for the escalated refund but in the mean time everyone should always review their trips for GPS fraud.

I don't know how many programming language baba kamo is fluent in and other skill set of his but at you telling us that he fed false data to GPS and inflate your fare price ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Ifeanyi2017(m): 1:52pm On Oct 05, 2019
I remember funding my account with #500 on opay Im surprise to see they wiped my #500 without taken any ride with them. I called their customers care it was terrible from one customer care to another. Bleep them cos I HV deleted the app a[color=#000099][/color]sap.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 05, 2019
BravoDe:
Who else is enjoying how Brighton is beating Tottenham, I pity some people ticket

Do you know that betting renders ones mind impotent ?

One keep expecting to gain from something immaterial.

1 Like

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by akdjr(m): 1:56pm On Oct 05, 2019
Are we cursed to always engage in sharp practices as a nation? Nothing good work perfectly here in Nigeria.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 1:56pm On Oct 05, 2019
shegzhkn:

I don't know how many programming language baba kamo is fluent in and other skill set of his but at you telling us that he fed false data to GPS and inflate your fare price ?

GPS spoofers can be downloaded online.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by peeps4u: 2:07pm On Oct 05, 2019
olumzzz:

Mr Oga, how can you claim to pay 3k for an 8k trip. Even if you were to report been overcharged, you would at least have paid the 8k else driver no go let you go.
Forgive me if i don't believe your story.

It is possible. The driver might accept to collect the 3k knowing fully well the trip wouldn't have been up to that by uber standard of charging.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Rollitout: 2:08pm On Oct 05, 2019
The bike rider cheated you by using a fake GPS during the trip, this is not allowed on either uber or taxify, drivers would be sactioned if it is noticed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by peeps4u: 2:10pm On Oct 05, 2019
Afiahomes:

Mech without a car? shocked shocked

where is Sienna? grin grin

LOL, myopic minded people everywhere. Because he took a bike to work means he doesn't have a car? You must have been thinking also that anyone that requests uber/bolt doesn't have car.
Same Gazzuzz that repairs cars, sells cars, sells car tyres. As popular as he is here?

6 Likes

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by shegzhkn: 2:10pm On Oct 05, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:

GPS spoofers can be downloaded online.

well i agree with that , the question now is , is it good enough to penetrate backend system of OPay?
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by holuphisayor(m): 2:14pm On Oct 05, 2019
I'm curious to know what people call GPS spoofing in a bike sharing app.
Last time I checked, the distance can be computed by the lat/lon of the pickup and destination.
So, did the bikeman also send its computation to opay backend?
or the rider dropped at a wrong location?
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by peeps4u: 2:14pm On Oct 05, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:

GPS has nothing to do with the phone quality. As used by ride services, it is simply and app, dependent on software from the company and location data from the Telecom provider.
Your phone is not involved in generating the data.
It only displays the result of the computation.

Any phone can be used to spoof gps if the owner downloads the appropriate software.

Phones actually have to do with it. Uber and bolt have specs of the phone they allow. No techno or infinix is listed by them.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by danot1030: 2:15pm On Oct 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

Now the scam begin. Every business in Nigeria is designed to exploit the citizens, MTN, Airtel, DStv, Gotv and more are seriously on it our government keeps silence.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 2:17pm On Oct 05, 2019
shegzhkn:

well i agree with that , the question now is , is it good enough to penetrate backend system of OPay?

Yep. It's just data. The data is faked and transmitted. Server side code simply interprets what is sent. I guess if it becomes a big enough issue, the app owners will find a way of authenticating the GPS data.
Right now, it's not obvious that they do.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Afiahomes(m): 2:18pm On Oct 05, 2019
peeps4u:

LOL, myopic minded people everywhere. Because he took a bike to work means he doesn't have a car? You must have been thinking also that anyone that requests uber/bolt doesn't have car.
Same Gazzuzz that repairs cars, sells cars, sells car tyres. As popular as he is here?
so you are his PA? shocked shocked
wonders shall never end grin grin

1 Like

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 2:19pm On Oct 05, 2019
peeps4u:

Phones actually have to do with it. Uber and bolt have specs of the phone they allow. No techno or infinix is listed by them.

That relates to the overall ability to process internet data not GPS specifically.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by nurex01(m): 2:24pm On Oct 05, 2019
If they're not careful, they would definitely shut down
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Ayomitide77(m): 2:27pm On Oct 05, 2019
Just experienced same this morning. Was charged #1,570 for a trip of #350. I really need to pause the use for the time being.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by olumzzz(m): 2:28pm On Oct 05, 2019
peeps4u:

It is possible. The driver might accept to collect the 3k knowing fully well the trip wouldn't have been up to that by uber standard of charging.
True, that's a possibility.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by peterdrury: 2:31pm On Oct 05, 2019
Hmmm, so this guy enter me that day? Na wa.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

................. / Toks Black On Black 2013 Mercedes Benz GLK350 4matic 100K Miles N6.5m / Check Your Free Carfax Reports Here 10 Will Be Processed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.