Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,835,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Smoking Is Banned In Parts Of Melbourne From TODAY - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Smoking Is Banned In Parts Of Melbourne From TODAY (380 Views)

Bat-Borne 'Nipah' Virus Causes Lockdown In Parts Of India (Video) / COVID-19: Rapid Test Kits Banned In Nigeria - FG / While Drones Are Banned In Nigeria, Rwanda Is Using It To Save Lives - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smoking Is Banned In Parts Of Melbourne From TODAY by godlyguy(m): 11:57pm On Oct 05, 2019
Smoking is banned in parts of Melbourne under new council regulations that came into force today Friday 4th of October 2019, with rule-breakers facing hefty fines.

Popular shopping strip Bourke Street Mall and a segment of Bourke Street, between Elizabeth Street and Russell Place, became smoke-free from Friday.

People caught taking a drag in a no-smoking area can be fined $100.

City of Melbourne Lord Mayor Sally Capp said smoking took a terrible toll on the community and the ban would let the 60,000 daily mall users breathe easier.

'Every year about 4000 Victorians die from smoking-related illnesses, and it affects the health and wellbeing of thousands more,' she said.

'There is no safe level of exposure to smoking.'

Quit Victoria director Sarah White expects the ban to be adopted by other councils.

'Quitting can be hard for some, and not having the smell of cigarette smoke and the sight of people smoking around can really help people trying to quit to stay on track,' Dr White said.

Councillor Beverley Pinder wants the ban to go even further and force smokers to butt out across the entire CBD.

CREDIT: dailymail.co.uk

https://ebeanonews..com/2019/10/smoking-is-banned-in-parts-of-melbourne.html

Re: Smoking Is Banned In Parts Of Melbourne From TODAY by MrBrownJay1(m): 12:06am On Oct 06, 2019
As much as I don't smoke, I think this is BS....in closed space I would understand, but even outdoor?!

***spit on floor***
Re: Smoking Is Banned In Parts Of Melbourne From TODAY by godlyguy(m): 12:12am On Oct 06, 2019
angry
MrBrownJay1:
As much as I don't smoke, I think this is BS....in closed space I would understand, but even outdoor?!

***spit on floor***
Re: Smoking Is Banned In Parts Of Melbourne From TODAY by TONYE001(m): 12:45pm On Oct 06, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

***spit on floor***

Yes, even outdoors. If anyone wants to smoke, he or she should go to his privacy and do so instead of putting the health of others at risk.

The various Tobacco Free Clubs we have in Nigeria are working towards achieving something similar in our society.
Re: Smoking Is Banned In Parts Of Melbourne From TODAY by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 06, 2019
Endorsed!
Let there be clean air grin
Re: Smoking Is Banned In Parts Of Melbourne From TODAY by tck2000(m): 5:33pm On Oct 06, 2019
nice
Re: Smoking Is Banned In Parts Of Melbourne From TODAY by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:20am On Oct 07, 2019
TONYE001:

Yes, even outdoors. If anyone wants to smoke, he or she should go to his privacy and do so instead of putting the health of others at risk.

The various Tobacco Free Clubs we have in Nigeria are working towards achieving something similar in our society.

Go outside any major city, check the major factories and see the poison 10x more deadly than tobacco that they release in the air. These people are bloody hypocrites if they think that stopping smoking outdoor will solve any issue.
Re: Smoking Is Banned In Parts Of Melbourne From TODAY by godlyguy(m): 9:30am On Oct 07, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

Go outside any major city, check the major factories and see the poison 10x more deadly than tobacco that they release in the air. These people are bloody hypocrites if they think that stopping smoking outdoor will solve any issue.
Pollution including smokes should be abolished... It's that SIMPLE

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Ways To Keep Your Teeth Healthy Always / Heart/chest X Ray / Abortion Enlightenment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.