Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,919 members, 7,824,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A (4202 Views)

Free Nigerian Movies: Leave onlinenigeria.com alone / Best Nigerian Movies / To Watch Nigerian Movies Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by kech(f): 10:37pm On Nov 04, 2010

10,000 bootleg DVDs of 'Nollywood' Nigerian movies seized in Brooklyn

More than 10,000 bootleg DVDs of popular Nigerian movies have been seized this week after complaints from "Nollywood" film  execs about rampant piracy in Brooklyn.

The pirated DVDs were found at nine stores in the borough, along with several high volume disc duplicators, said District Attorney Charles Hynes.

"The sale of bootleg and counterfeit goods deprives the city and state of New York of millions of dollars in sales tax revenue," Hynes said yesterday.

"And it deprives the artists who made the movies of their well-deserved proceeds."

The Nigerian film industry, known globally as "Nollywood," is extremely prolific, second only to India's Bollywood in terms of the number of films made.

Most are straight to DVD or TV,  but extremely popular throughout the African continent.

That popularity has followed to the communities of immigrants from Africa in the United States, where they are legally sold in DVD form for $5 apiece while the fakes sell for $3 each.

Among the titles recovered in the sweep this past week are feature films like "Material Girl," "Mind Games," the "Governor's Gift" and "Stolen Will."

SOURCE:
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/11/04/2010-11-04_10000_bootleg_dvds_of_nollywood_nigerian_movies_seized_in_brooklyn.html
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by kech(f): 10:44pm On Nov 04, 2010
I trust the U.S., they don't mess with their taxes. See Jim Iyke trying to look serious at the press conference LOL! He still looks funny grin grin grin
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by OgidiBoy(m): 10:52pm On Nov 04, 2010
Who even still buys Nigerian movies  in the US anymore. With You-tube and online Nigerian  movies.com you can watch them free and if you must watch it on your HDTV  an Xbox or a $99 blue ray player can stream it without having to download it.
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Nobody: 10:55pm On Nov 04, 2010
This alaba mkt boys don find their way again?
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Dsense(m): 10:58pm On Nov 04, 2010
An so what.
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Nobody: 12:21am On Nov 05, 2010
Ask me again
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Dsense(m): 6:25pm On Nov 05, 2010
toba:

Ask me again
Idiot !!!That wasn't for u but the poster.
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by adconline(m): 1:10am On Nov 06, 2010

This alaba mkt boys don find their way again

Leave Alaba mkt out of this boy. Go play somewhere cos these Alaba boys you really hate are not in the same league with you , dont shoot at the same basket, dont with hang with the same folks , so how are they on your way? By the time you figure out these questions, they- Alaba boys- are already at the finish line with flag waving,
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by AloyEmeka5: 1:20am On Nov 06, 2010
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Princek12(m): 2:22am On Nov 06, 2010
They complained of piracy to the NY District Attorney, and the DA's office acted accordingly. If this complain was made in Nigeria, I am pretty sure that the Nigerian authorities would have failed to act in the interests of Nollywood.
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by slap1(m): 4:17am On Nov 06, 2010
Are recent Nigerian movies not 'pirating' themselves?
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Nobody: 4:21am On Nov 06, 2010
[font= Arial Narrow] Oh please! BOTH the U.S. gov. and Nollywood are full of it. Nollywood should use this exposure as a way to create a link to the U.S. marketing system and people, rather than complain. If it is that serious, then they should keep the production in Nigeria as is, but charge fees online with subscriptions. I personally do not see it to be that serious or big of a deal. The U.S. entertainment world has ALWAYS been pirated and yet they still find ways to make money off of it. Nollywood just needs someone to do a bit more research on production and distribution. As for the U.S. this is just another "we want to dispose of anything we cannot tax".

[/font]
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by eghost247(m): 4:23am On Nov 06, 2010
Charity begins @home
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Nobody: 4:37am On Nov 06, 2010
OgidiBoy:

Who even still buys Nigerian movies  in the US anymore. With You-tube and online Nigerian  movies.com you can watch them free and if you must watch it on your HDTV  an Xbox or a $99 blue ray player can stream it without having to download it.

GBAM!!!

Plug that HDMI to my latop/ flat screen tv and am good to go. Long live youtube!
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by slap1(m): 7:27am On Nov 06, 2010
^^ I think you are being selfish. If you are an actress or a musician, I bet you'll be singing a different tune.
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Nobody: 7:33am On Nov 06, 2010
slap1:

^^ I [b]think [/b]you are being selfish. If you are an actress or a musician, I bet you'll be singing a different tune.

It's sexy when a man thinks. Keep it up.
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by fASHCEO(m): 8:15am On Nov 06, 2010
Great move by the USA authorities, i only hope same can be achieved here in Nigeria.

For phones, computers, ipods & other electronics, Check out Sales-Inland with the link below;
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by slap1(m): 8:22am On Nov 06, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

It's sexy when a man thinks. Keep it up.
. . .And natural when a woman doesn't. Keep being natural.
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 06, 2010
slap1:

. . .And natural when a woman doesn't. Keep being natural.
I told you to keep it up. . . .why did you stop?

Look up and read the comments on this thread, obviously it's not only "natural" to women.
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 06, 2010
Lol, biting the hand that feeds them sha. Them no know say na piracy wen take them this far? Piracy is bittersweet. They don't make as much, but they are known. Being known leads to more money last time I checked,
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 06, 2010
ogugua88:

Lol, biting the hand that feeds them sha. Them no know say na piracy wen take them this far? Piracy is bittersweet. They don't make as much, but they are known. Being known leads to more money last time I checked,
says who?
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Orestik(f): 9:37am On Nov 06, 2010
!!!piracy or no piracy who's biz? as long as i keep watching nollywood movies, i don't bloody care!
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 06, 2010
toba:

says who?

Says me. If they right people are around you.
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by ElRazur: 9:50am On Nov 06, 2010
fASH-CEO:

Great move by the USA authorities, i only hope same can be achieved here in Nigeria.

For phones, computers, ipods & other electronics, Check out Sales-Inland with the link below;

Agreed.

I wish US authorities will ignore the request though so as to make a point. Just go over to gaming section on here to see how people talk about pirating game and what not, yet if you dare to say this is wrong some people will come out and give some justification as to why it is right and how africa was fuccckkked up 400 years ago and we are now getting our own back today via pirating stuff. undecided
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by JUO(m): 10:37am On Nov 06, 2010
what do u expect?
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by marcus1234: 10:53am On Nov 06, 2010
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Olalimits(m): 11:06am On Nov 06, 2010
They plenty!!!
Na today
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 06, 2010
l̴͖̲̖̱͎͋́̀̏̀͂͜ơ̴̢̘͖͖̟͔̲͉̣̖̒͐̑̑̈́̀̓̆̑͒̏̈́̽̇͌͆̚͘r̴̢̛͕̞̠̼̥͇͙̥̥̗̼͎̰̻̗̩̹̬̰̜̰̪̜̯͈̓̇͆͜ę̴̧̦̩̞̫̬̫͓̫̟̣͖̝̤̩̱̻͌̆̈̅̊̇̈́̄͒͆͂̒̋͗̀́͐̚͜͜m̵̳̬͎̦̼̖͙̻̞̲̳͎͖̤̜͙̞̘̪̥͈̮̲̫̈́̂̑̓̅͌̉̃̄́̎̈́͛̔̃̈͒͛̆̉̉̍̍͌̅̒̿͘͝ͅͅ ̸̨̛̛̮̱͖͇̗͉͙̭͉͕͖̯̼͂̀̆̔̀̽̿̆͐͑͑̀̈́̈͂͒̽̅̒́̒̚͘̚̚̕͝ͅͅͅį̷̨͚̜͖̪̯̦̼̹̤͇̱͕̹̯̓̂̎͊̎͐͊͂̽̈́͊̅̈̏̋͗̀̾̎̂̀̚͝ͅp̵̡͖̱̮̹̫͖̱̺͖͚̙͇̘͈̥̭͎̅̃͗͒̒̐̀̽͑̕̕̕͜͜ş̵̧̛͚͎̘̹̻̩͉̩͕͕͍̲̼̳̲̬͖̟͊̒̽̊͛͂͒̍̇̾̅̀̑̽̆͌̈́͒̀̒́̒̏̚͝͠u̸̧̫̯͉̥̬̗͚̹͙̇̑̾͌̃͌̈́̉̀͛̍̂̄̃̑͝m̵̨̧̛̲̰̰̫̰̖̗̟͉̝͚̯̞̮̪̝͚̯͔̖̻͉͈̫̫̩̞͗̀̈́̅͆̽̆̎͐͂͆̐̾͊̆͝ ̵̛̛̯̮͍͎̜̖̥̫̱͕̥̻̖̮͈̖͎̯͊̒̉̔̔̓̀̍̆̈̊̈́̀͑̓̎̓̄̚͘͜͠͝n̵̟̜̗̩̬̯̫͇̝̙̖̟͋́̒̾̃͒͊̂̇̔͌̎͌̂͠ͅả̸̡͇̟͕̓̾͗̋̄͆̆̒͆̃͐͝i̵̢̧̧̮̞̺̻̝̬̤̲͉̟̟̺̙̣̣̭̘̱̰͇̦̍̌̀̒̎̒͋̊͐̇̿̌͛̓̓͑̆́̉͊͗̿́͘͜͝r̵̻̱̼̣̊̏͂͌̎͊̿̈͂̒͂́̐̔͂̅̅̀͘͝a̵̢͓͉̪̯̯͕̲͔̘͎͓͖̅̄͌̓̈́̒̾̇̀̈́̊̐̋͊̏̎͒̆̊̈̿̑̀͋̒̕̕͠ͅͅl̵̺̩̙̣͉̙͍̱͉͚͖̬̻̮͒̓̄́̀̋̈́͋̈̚͠ḁ̷̛̼̤͔̩̱̜̱̯̦̭̗͓̘͈͔̹̟̥̹̈́̇̔̄̂̀̔͂̏́̆͂̀̀̈́̑͐̇̓͒͊̕̕͝͝n̴̢̛̥͇͇̤̓̎̅̐͑̔͒̐͆͒̾͗̒̓̒́̓̾͗̒͜͝͝ḑ̴̧̨̝̞̦̯̯̠̺̭̭̗̭̱̯͉̹͔̪̦̉͂̋̽̿͑̃̽̐͐͋̌̏͌͑͗̀̎͜͠͠͝͠
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by apoti(m): 12:38pm On Nov 06, 2010
Alaba boys should pirate 1,000,000 copies of Hollywood movies finish! lipsrsealed
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Ranoscky(m): 1:50pm On Nov 06, 2010
Whatever !!!
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Kenny4lyfe(m): 1:55pm On Nov 06, 2010
Can't wait for the Nigerian government to kick pirated movie's butt!
Re: Pirated Nigerian Movies Seized In The U.S.A by Skidoc(m): 2:40pm On Nov 06, 2010
slap1:

Are recent Nigerian movies not 'pirating' themselves?

Exactly! They'd play Jay-Z or Celine Dion as soundtrack/film score. Did they pay any royalties? Isn't that illegal as well?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Live Stream & Live Updates From Headies Awards 2018 / Postcards Season 1 (S01) Download / How Marketers Hijacked Nigeria’s Movie Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.