Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

I Need A Patent Registered - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Need A Patent Registered (8643 Views)

How Do I Get A Patent Right / How Can I Get A Patent Right To A Product In Nigeria And Maybe Africa / I Need A Patent Lawyer (Nigeria) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Patent Registered by cardoso111(m): 5:11am On Nov 05, 2010
NLanders . pls send me details on registering my invention and get a patent .send me your inputs to 07057588588
Re: I Need A Patent Registered by 9jaLaw(m): 1:09pm On Nov 08, 2010
PROCEDURE FOR REGISTERING A PATENT IN NIGERIA

Applications for a patent must be made to the Registrar of Patents and Copyrights in Abuja. A search must first be carried out to ensure that the product has not already been patented. The importance of a search in order to avoid a possible legal backlash cannot be overstressed. The fact that nothing similar to your product is in the market is not an indication that it or something too similar hasn’t already acquired patent rights. After the search has been completed the inventor is free to go ahead and proceed with registration.

An application can than be made to the registrar and must contain
• The applicant’s full name and address. If the applicant’s address is outside Nigeria then a service address will be admissible.
• The description of the relevant invention along with any plans and drawings appropriate.
• A claim that defines the particular protection or rights sought after by the applicant.
• Such other matter as may be prescribed depending on the facts of the application.

These requirements will be accompanied by:
a. A prescribed fee
b. Where appropriate, a declaration by the true inventor requesting that he be mentioned as such in the Patent with his name and address.
c. In event of where a legal practitioner makes the application on behalf of the applicant, a signed Power of Attorney will be required.

Once awarded the Patent rights the inventor is free to exercise his rights over it as he may choose. He may if he chooses, decide to assign his proprietary rights over the invention to any person he wishes in any geographical territory. He may also upon consideration or payment, grant a Patent license to another party on terms agreeable to him.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Patent Registered by jimgirl(f): 2:25pm On Nov 08, 2010
An invention is patentable in Nigeria if;

a) it is new, results from inventive activity and is capable of industrial application; or
b) it constitutes an improvement upon a patented invention and also is new, results
from inventive activity and is capable of industrial application.

An invention is capable of industrial application if that invention can be manufactured
or used in any kind of industry, including agriculture.

Patents cannot, however, be obtained in respect of (i) plant or animal varieties or
essentially biological processes for the production of plants or animals (except
microbiological processes and their products); (ii) inventions the publication or
exploitation of which would be contrary to public order or morality; or (iii) principles
and discoveries of a scientific nature.

The Applicant may be the inventor or his Assignee who may be an individual or a corporation. The right to a patent in respect of an invention is vested in the statutory inventor, that is to say, the person who, whether or not he is the true inventor, is the first to file or validly claim a foreign priority for a patent application in respect of the invention.

The invention must be novel that is to say, no publication or use of the invention in Nigeria or elsewhere before the date of application.

Regarding the examination of the invention, no substantive examination of the invention is carried out. Examination is as to form only. This means that once the documentation is complete and in order, the Patent is granted without further examination.

The term of the patent grant is for twenty (20) years from the date of filing. Pls note that the patent registration  is renewable annually. It can still be renewed within six (6) months after grant but with a penalty.

Feel free to ask any questions on the above. Also feel free to make enquiries regarding a trademark registration.
Re: I Need A Patent Registered by john4affiliate: 12:35pm On Aug 16, 2015
Can this be effective all over the world or i will apply for world patent
Re: I Need A Patent Registered by Orenzy(f): 9:00pm On Aug 12, 2016
jimgirl:
An invention is patentable in Nigeria if;

a) it is new, results from inventive activity and is capable of industrial application; or
b) it constitutes an improvement upon a patented invention and also is new, results
from inventive activity and is capable of industrial application.

An invention is capable of industrial application if that invention can be manufactured
or used in any kind of industry, including agriculture.

Patents cannot, however, be obtained in respect of (i) plant or animal varieties or
essentially biological processes for the production of plants or animals (except
microbiological processes and their products); (ii) inventions the publication or
exploitation of which would be contrary to public order or morality; or (iii) principles
and discoveries of a scientific nature.

The Applicant may be the inventor or his Assignee who may be an individual or a corporation. The right to a patent in respect of an invention is vested in the statutory inventor, that is to say, the person who, whether or not he is the true inventor, is the first to file or validly claim a foreign priority for a patent application in respect of the invention.

The invention must be novel that is to say, no publication or use of the invention in Nigeria or elsewhere before the date of application.

Regarding the examination of the invention, no substantive examination of the invention is carried out. Examination is as to form only. This means that once the documentation is complete and in order, the Patent is granted without further examination.

The term of the patent grant is for twenty (20) years from the date of filing. Pls note that the patent registration  is renewable annually. It can still be renewed within six (6) months after grant but with a penalty.

Feel free to ask any questions on the above. Also feel free to make enquiries regarding a trademark registration.
Please I'd like to know how to go about it. Like the Abuja writing, do I do email or regular writing? My number is 07063999822 should you have more info for me.
Re: I Need A Patent Registered by bluefilm: 11:01am On Apr 24, 2022
9jaLaw:
PROCEDURE FOR REGISTERING A PATENT IN NIGERIA

Applications for a patent must be made to the Registrar of Patents and Copyrights in Abuja. A search must first be carried out to ensure that the product has not already been patented. The importance of a search in order to avoid a possible legal backlash cannot be overstressed. The fact that nothing similar to your product is in the market is not an indication that it or something too similar hasn’t already acquired patent rights. After the search has been completed the inventor is free to go ahead and proceed with registration.

An application can than be made to the registrar and must contain
• The applicant’s full name and address. If the applicant’s address is outside Nigeria then a service address will be admissible.
• The description of the relevant invention along with any plans and drawings appropriate.
• A claim that defines the particular protection or rights sought after by the applicant.
• Such other matter as may be prescribed depending on the facts of the application.

These requirements will be accompanied by:
a. A prescribed fee
b. Where appropriate, a declaration by the true inventor requesting that he be mentioned as such in the Patent with his name and address.
c. In event of where a legal practitioner makes the application on behalf of the applicant, a signed Power of Attorney will be required.

Once awarded the Patent rights the inventor is free to exercise his rights over it as he may choose. He may if he chooses, decide to assign his proprietary rights over the invention to any person he wishes in any geographical territory. He may also upon consideration or payment, grant a Patent license to another party on terms agreeable to him.

Thanks for sharing this.

(1) (Reply)

Dangote, MTN, Others Lose N1.7 Trillion To Naira Depreciation / What Business Can I Do With 1 Million Naira? Business Ideas Please! / Craigslist.com: Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.