Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,127 members, 7,953,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:13 PM

Lucifer Persona - The Lesson Misconcieved | Misinterpreted | Misinformed - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lucifer Persona - The Lesson Misconcieved | Misinterpreted | Misinformed (1430 Views)

Common Misinterpreted And Added Bible Verses / Some Of The Most Misinterpreted Verses In The Bible / A Passage In The Bible That Is Usually Misinterpreted. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lucifer Persona - The Lesson Misconcieved | Misinterpreted | Misinformed by Tonyet1(m): 2:35pm On Nov 05, 2010
"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of the Creator: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners? All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one in his own house. But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet. Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: the seed of evildoers shall never be renowned." Isa 14:12-20

Even before I got born-again, never have I subscribed to the school of thought that believed Lucifer was Satan, though I lacked arguments to back, but a friend handed a book “Is Lucifer the same as Satan?” by Ron Greg. Me thought I should share it with friends here.

It may come as a surprise to many Christians that to the Jews and New Testament Christians there was no such person as Lucifer. To many Christians Lucifer is equivalent to Satan, the devil. How could it be that the Jews knew nothing of Lucifer?, we find it clearly printed in our King James Bible in Isaiah 14. But then again it is not found in most contempary language versions. With the curiously notable exception of the New King James Version.

The term “Lucifer” was first used in Jerome’s Latin Vulgate around 383-405 A.D *noted as the first biblos before the King James version. The Hebrew word is Heylel' which suggests the idea of “shining,” or “bearing light.” Jerome assumed the word was the name of the morning star, hence, he rendered it by the Latin title “Lucifer.”

As the idea developed that Isaiah 14 contained a description of Satan’s original fall, the term Lucifer came to be applied to the devil and the designation is commonly employed today. The fact is, however, there is absolutely no evidence whatever that Isaiah 14 contains any reference to Satan.

Please note the following:
1.It would be strange indeed that the Holy Spirit should designate the ruler of the realm of spiritual darkness (Ephesians 6:12) as “lightbearer.”
2. The context clearly identifies the narrative as a “parable against the king of Babylon” who at that time was worshipped as Istar. The death of that oppressive character is vividly described. He descends into Sheol where the inmates of that realm taunt, saying, “Is this the man that made the earth to tremble?”.
This cannot be an allusion to the devil since:
1. worms eat his body, yet Satan has no body;
2. the subject of the account is called a “man”, but the Tempter is a spirit being;
3. he is to be buried in shame- a circumstance which is not applicable to the devil (cf. Revelation 20:10).
In the Old Testament, the demise of corrupt national powers is frequently represented under the imagery of falling heavenly luminaries (Isaiah 13:10; Ezekiel 32:7), hence, quite appropriately in this context the Babylonian monarch is described as a fallen star (ASV). There is, therefore, no reference to Satan in this context.
Lets know what ya’ll feel. Cheers!
Re: Lucifer Persona - The Lesson Misconcieved | Misinterpreted | Misinformed by aletheia(m): 9:18pm On Nov 05, 2010
This was discussed earlier here by ttalks.

Below is my response then:

The Morning Star:
I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. (Revelation of John 22:16, KJV)

The word "Lucifer" means lightbearer and is in keeping with the meaning of Isaiah 14:12 where the word translated "Lucifer" is: H1966 heylel hay-lale' from 1984 (in the sense of brightness); the morning-star:--lucifer. see HEBREW for H1984 (H1966, StrongsHebrew); however in Zechariah 11:2, the word translated "howl" is H3213 yalal yaw-lal' a primitive root; to howl (with a wailing tone) or yell (with a boisterous one):--(make to) howl, be howling. (H3213, StrongsHebrew).
Similar words but different in meaning.

Obviously Satan would covet titles belonging to the Lord! My point was that "Lucifer" meaning Lightbearer was in keeping with the translation of the word heylel in Isaiah 14:12. If you notice I did not say anything about "Lucifer" being another title for the Lord Jesus.

aletheia:

The word "Lucifer" means lightbearer and is in keeping with the meaning of Isaiah 14:12 where the word translated "Lucifer" is: H1966 heylel hay-lale' from 1984 (in the sense of brightness); the morning-star:--lucifer. see HEBREW for H1984 (H1966, StrongsHebrew); however in Zechariah 11:2, the word translated "howl" is H3213 yalal yaw-lal' a primitive root; to howl (with a wailing tone) or yell (with a boisterous one):--(make to) howl, be howling. (H3213, StrongsHebrew).
Similar words but different in meaning.

A point also made by one of the sites referenced by nuclearboy:
http://www.crivoice.org/lucifer.html]
In the King James translation, verse 12 reads:

How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

Here is where we find the name Lucifer. The term Lucifer was popularized in English from this King James translation. However, the name does not come from the Hebrew or even from the Greek translation (Septuagint), but from the fourth century AD Latin translation of this verse:

quomodo cecidisti de caelo lucifer qui mane oriebaris corruisti in terram qui vulnerabas gentes.

But this is not quite as obvious as it sounds even in Latin. The term Lucifer in fourth century Latin was a name for Venus, especially as the morning star. The Latin word Lucifer is composed of two words: lux, or in the genitive form used lucis, (meaning "light"wink and ferre, which means "to bear" or "to bring." So, the word Lucifer means bearer of light. The same word is used in other places in the Latin Vulgate to translate Hebrew terms that mean "bright," especially associated with the sky:

Job 11:17: And your life will be brighter than the noonday; its darkness will be like the morning.

2 Peter 1:19: You will do well to pay attention to this as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

This reflects how the Latin word Lucifer was used in classic Roman poetry, such as this passage from Virgil (Georgics, III, 324-325):

Luciferi primo come sidere frigida rura
carpamus, dum mane novum, dum gramina canent

Let us hasten, when first the Morning Star appears,
To the cool pastures, while the day is new, while the grass is dewy.

The term also occurs in the plural (luciferum) in Job 38:32 to refer to an astral constellation. Other forms of the word are used in similar ways to refer to light or the stars. This reflects the Greek (Septuagint) translation’s use of heosphoros, "morning star" to translate the Hebrew of Isaiah 14:12.

There is some debate about the exact origin of the original Hebrew word in Isaiah 14:12 (helel). The strongest possibility is that it comes from a verbal root that means "to shine brightly," as well as "to offer praise" (where we get the phrase hallelu yah). In any case, the noun form is the Hebrew term for the morning star, in most cases the planet Venus. Both the second century BC Greek translation in the Septuagint, and the fourth century AD Latin translation in the Latin Vulgate understand this to be the meaning of the Hebrew word helel.
[/quote]
So not only the Latin Vulgate but also the much older Greek Septuagint translated heylel in the sense of brightness; the morning-star. Furthermore:
Babylonian religion was an astral religion. . .focused on the sun, moon, and stars and their motion. The Babylonians worshipped as gods the manifestations of celestial bodies. It is from Babylon that we get the signs of the Zodiac representing the constellations. We now know that the two terms used in the Hebrew text of Isaiah, Helel, morning star, and Shahar, dawn, were Babylonian astral deities.
Now, if we look at the text of Isaiah 14 in context, and without the assumptions we brought to it from [our traditions], the meaning of the passage becomes more obvious. Helel, morning star, and Shahar, dawn, then, are references to the Babylonian gods who could not save the king, and are themselves to be cast down.
A point well brought out by the Amplified version
12 How have you fallen from heaven, O light-bringer and daystar, son of the morning! How you have been cut down to the ground, you who weakened and laid low the nations [O blasphemous, satanic king of Babylon!]

[quote author=ttalks:

It is only in the Catholic Latin Vulgate created by Jerome that you'd find the word hêylêl being translated as Lucifer. and the latin vulgate was what was used to create the kjv and a lot of current bible versions/translations that abound today.
The latin vulgate was the source of this error that abounds today.
^^^As I pointed out above not only the Latin Vulgate but also the much older Septuagint translate hêylêl in that sense. Moreover the Latin Vulgate was not the primary source document for the KJV.
Wikipedia: In common with most other translations of the period, the New Testament was translated from the Textus Receptus (Received Text) series of the Greek texts. The Old Testament was translated from the Masoretic Hebrew text, while the Apocrypha were translated from the Greek Septuagint (LXX), except for 2 Esdras, which was translated from the Latin Vulgate.
Wikipedia: The Masoretic Text (MT) is the authoritative Hebrew text of the Jewish Bible regarded almost universally as the official version of the Tanakh.[citation needed] It defines not just the books of the Jewish canon, but also the precise letter-text of the biblical books in Judaism, as well as their vocalization and accentuation known as the Masorah.

Consulting the Masoretic Text (The Leningrad Codex) which forms the basis of the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia shows the differences in Zec 11:2 and Is 14:12:

14:12 Hebrew OT: Westminster Leningrad Codex
[size=16pt]אֵ֛יךְ נָפַ֥לְתָּ מִשָּׁמַ֖יִם הֵילֵ֣ל בֶּן־שָׁ֑חַר נִגְדַּ֣עְתָּ לָאָ֔רֶץ חֹולֵ֖שׁ עַל־גֹּויִֽם׃[/size]
11:2 Hebrew OT: Westminster Leningrad Codex
[size=16pt]הֵילֵ֤ל בְּרֹושׁ֙ כִּֽי־נָ֣פַל אֶ֔רֶז אֲשֶׁ֥ר אַדִּרִ֖ים שֻׁדָּ֑דוּ הֵילִ֙ילוּ֙ אַלֹּונֵ֣י בָשָׁ֔ן כִּ֥י יָרַ֖ד יַ֥עַר [הַבָּצוּר כ] (הַבָּצִֽיר׃ ק)[/size]

Recall that Hebrew was written without vowels, thus several words may have the same consonants but differ in the placement of vowels e.g sh{i}p and sh{ee}p to use an English example. As you can see the words translated as "Lucifer" in Isaiah 14 and "howl" in Zechariah, while appearing similar, differ in the placement of the vowel points and that makes all the difference in meaning! Please see here and herefor an extended analysis of the texts. I believe your source misinterpreted the Hebrew text.
God bless you.
Re: Lucifer Persona - The Lesson Misconcieved | Misinterpreted | Misinformed by Jenwitemi(m): 9:45pm On Nov 05, 2010
The tale of Lucifer falling came from the ancient Summerian mythology. It was only repackaged and included into the christian story much later. At least you guys are learning to question the stories you inherited through your religion instead of accepting everything hook line and sinker. Good on you lot.
Re: Lucifer Persona - The Lesson Misconcieved | Misinterpreted | Misinformed by Mudley313: 11:04pm On Nov 05, 2010
If you got the time and a good internet connection, check this documentary out, "The History of the Devil". Very informative and very well documents the historical (and even biblical) transition of the devil character from what it originally was to what it is today. i think you'll find most, if not all, of the answers to your answers there if you can endeavor to watch it unbiasedly

[center][flash=500,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eayzVxvkFjw[/flash][/center]

(1) (Reply)

Calvinism Is Of The Devil / Atheists, What Would You Do If Your Spouse/partner Pays Tithe With Your Earning? / Should Marriage Be Based On Seeing Vision And Dreams?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.