Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

Naomi Osaka Chooses Japan Over USA To Participate At 2020 Olympics - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Naomi Osaka Chooses Japan Over USA To Participate At 2020 Olympics (717 Views)

Tokyo 2020 Olympics: D’Tigers Ranked 4th In Latest FIBA Power Rankings / Serena Williams Defeats Naomi Osaka / Naomi Osaka Wins Australia Open; Becomes World No 1 (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naomi Osaka Chooses Japan Over USA To Participate At 2020 Olympics by IME1: 8:02pm On Oct 10, 2019
Naomi Osaka, the No, 3 ranked female tennis player in the world, has decided she will represent Japan in the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo and give up her American citizenship.

According to CNN, Osaka spoke with Japanese public broadcaster NHK about her decision, telling them that it gives her "a special feeling to try to go to the Olympics to represent Japan."

"I think I will be able to put more of my emotion into it by playing for the pride of the country," she continued.

Osaka was born in Japan to a Japanese mother and a Haitian father, and raised in the United States. She currently has dual citizenship with the US and Japan, but Japanese law requires that she choose one or the other by her 22nd birthday. Since Osaka’s 22nd birthday is on Oct. 16, she has to make a choice — and she’s choosing Japan.

Osaka currently resides in the US, and it’s unclear if her citizenship decision will change where she lives or trains.

In August, Osaka was eliminated at the US Open in the Round of 16, a disappointing result that knocked her from the No. 1 ranking down to 4. But since that early round elimination, she has seen nothing but success. She won the Pan Pacific Open in Osaka, Japan, in mid-September, and beat world No. 1 Ashleigh Barty in the final of the China Open last week.

https://sports.yahoo.com/naomi-osaka-to-represent-japan-at-2020-olympics-give-up-american-citizenship-154425511.html

NL if it were you what country will you choose

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Naomi Osaka Chooses Japan Over USA To Participate At 2020 Olympics by Businext: 8:12pm On Oct 10, 2019
I'll choose Japan any day over USA

you know who Japanese passport be

#sayNoToHerdMentality

Ladies especially bankers, doctors, nurses, those who walk alot, stand alot and have a lot of class tongue this shoe is for sale check my signature

1 Share

Re: Naomi Osaka Chooses Japan Over USA To Participate At 2020 Olympics by Rextizzy: 9:20pm On Oct 10, 2019
Go girl, Japan is better!
Re: Naomi Osaka Chooses Japan Over USA To Participate At 2020 Olympics by Bruno3000(m): 10:00pm On Oct 10, 2019
And she's even looking 30. USA can sabi look for better pple no be small.
Re: Naomi Osaka Chooses Japan Over USA To Participate At 2020 Olympics by grandstar(m): 12:22am On Oct 11, 2019
The greatest benefit will be for minorities in Japan who are looked down on. This will lift them up in the eyes of other Japanese.

That may be her biggest reason but she was silent on that.

When an American of mixed black and Korean heritage won a baseball prize in America, there was celebration in South Korea and it did a lot for the mixed race minorities who had been so badly discriminated for decades in South Korea as many were assumed to be love children of American soldiers.
Societal attitudes to them began to change.

1 Like

Re: Naomi Osaka Chooses Japan Over USA To Participate At 2020 Olympics by Dedetwo(m): 12:31am On Oct 12, 2019
Businext:
[b]I'll choose Japan any day over USA

you know who Japanese passport be

#sayNoToHerdMentality

Ladies especially bankers, doctors, nurses, those who walk alot, stand alot and have a lot of class tongue this shoe is for sale check my signature [/b]

I guess the shoe spoke volume in your stream of thought which spurred you think about your choice of Japan over USA. Who would not think so when your shoe has greatly suffered under your uncontrolled weight?
Re: Naomi Osaka Chooses Japan Over USA To Participate At 2020 Olympics by Businext: 10:06pm On Oct 12, 2019
Dedetwo:

I guess the shoe spoke volume in your stream of thought which spurred you think about your choice of Japan over USA. Who would not think so when your shoe has greatly suffered under your uncontrolled weight?

I'm sure you're struggling to make sense but it's futile
I've never owned or worn these shoes
Selling it new for someone - a man
Allowing people put leg to try it though, you like tongue

PS: do your research as in actual research and find out about the strength of passports of different countries around the world

(1) (Reply)

Fikayo Tomori Still Eligible to Play For Nigeria.See Process / Nigeria Vs Ecuador (Fifa U17 World Cup 2019) / Ronaldo The First Portuguese Player To Score A Hat-trick In Serie A History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.