Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,452 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS (11865 Views)

Ooni Promises To Build Multi-Million Naira Chemotherapy Centre / Doctor Linda Ayade Performs Surgeries On Sick Patients. Photos / Okeoghene Edigba Died In Benin Hospital Collapsed After Performing 4 Surgeries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by frozen70g(f): 7:56am On Oct 13, 2019
SlimBrawnie:

Operations are covered by it. A friend removed a lump from her breast via NHIS and I had my CS via NHIS, the hospital charges 500k for CS but patients will only end up paying 50k. So it covers some operations, pending on your package.

Its just 15k to register and you are covered for a year, paying only 10% of all medical expenses within the period of that one year.

Did you say covered for a year ❓
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Odunolumide(m): 8:02am On Oct 13, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

It's relatively good. Though you might not get all the drugs you want (the alternative PHIS has more coverage though)...and some proccedures are not fully covered (eg if you are a kidney patient on constant dialysis, NHIS covers 6 sessions per year...the rest you pay for).

Thanks
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by emerged01(m): 8:02am On Oct 13, 2019
SlimBrawnie:

Operations are covered by it. A friend removed a lump from her breast via NHIS and I had my CS via NHIS, the hospital charges 500k for CS but patients will only end up paying 50k. So it covers some operations, pending on your package.

Its just 15k to register and you are covered for a year, paying only 10% of all medical expenses within the period of that one year.
I’m trying to get more info from their website but it is not displaying info. Can one cover his family? Is it 15k on each person in a family?
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by maasoap(m): 8:13am On Oct 13, 2019
dominique:
I need to get a plan asap, I've been procrastinating for too long

I went to their office in my state last year December fully prepared but I was told that their enrolment equipment broke down. I always thought of going back every now and then but didn't.

olisaEze:
Very welcome development. But the scheme should be extended to non salary earners as our unemployment rate seems to be on the increase with each subsequent administration. Nice one from NHIS.

Yes, it is also available for non FG workers but at 20k per head per annum.

1 Like

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by maasoap(m): 8:15am On Oct 13, 2019
emerged01:

I’m trying to get more info from their website but it is not displaying info. Can one cover his family? Is it 15k on each person in a family?

The complete info is on their website. And it is registration per head. I even thought that it was 20k per head
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by fashrola(m): 8:26am On Oct 13, 2019
tfelicityk:
Good news

The HMOs should take note now.

Avon no wan take ear hear dis one lol

1 Like

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Lekbless: 8:32am On Oct 13, 2019
Just go to NHIS office in the State you are living, tell them that you want to register. You will pay #15,000 through remitter(if you are FG worker, you won't pay). Every other things will be explain to you there.
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by SlimBrawnie(f): 9:02am On Oct 13, 2019
frozen70g:

Did you say covered for a year ❓
Yes, for one year, e.g if seeing the doctor is 3k, you'd pay 300naira only... same goes with any drug you are buying, though when some hospitals discover you are covered, they'd tell you they don't have some very very expensive drugs even though its available, the doc/pharmacy will give you prescription to go get it outside... man must chop na. Its renewed every year for same 15k

1 Like

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by ifyonline(f): 9:05am On Oct 13, 2019
fashrola:

Avon no wan take ear hear dis one lol

Why Avon Hmm??. How about other Hmo's too
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by SlimBrawnie(f): 9:06am On Oct 13, 2019
emerged01:

If you are registering as an individual, its 15k per person, babies are only covered for 3months after birth, but if you are a government worker or working with a company that gives health insurance, you won't pay anything and your dependants will also be covered... Up to 4 dependants I think.
When ready just go to NHIS office in your city to get more info.
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by emerged01(m): 9:13am On Oct 13, 2019
SlimBrawnie:

If you are registering as an individual, its 15k per person, babies are only covered for 3months after birth, but if you are a government worker or working with a company that gives health insurance, you won't pay anything and your dependants will also be covered... Up to 4 dependants I think.
When ready just go to NHIS office in your city to get more info.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Hidentity(m): 10:18am On Oct 13, 2019
SlimBrawnie:

Hi friend.
Please, I sent you a dm.

1 Like

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by olisaEze(m): 10:23am On Oct 13, 2019
cachiskky:

The scheme is opened to everyone. The difference is that civil servants, military and Para-military etc and their family members are covered by the government while private citizens pay 15k yearly to enjoy same benefits

Wow, didn’t know that. Nice one
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by frozen70g(f): 10:54am On Oct 13, 2019
SlimBrawnie:

Yes, for one year, e.g if seeing the doctor is 3k, you'd pay 300naira only... same goes with any drug you are buying, though when some hospitals discover you are covered, they'd tell you they don't have some very very expensive drugs even though its available, the doc/pharmacy will give you prescription to go get it outside... man must chop na. Its renewed every year for same 15k

Well for federal workers, its for life

Now you acknowledged that they don't cover expensive drugs

More useful in federal hospitals anyway
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Ovems(f): 10:55am On Oct 13, 2019
SlimBrawnie:

Consultations ( seeing a doctor) is free. You only pay 10% of drugs and not treatment. Some tests are free too.
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Ovems(f): 10:56am On Oct 13, 2019
emerged01:

The plan is called Vcship and it is 15k per year per person.
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Liliyann(f): 11:15am On Oct 13, 2019
NHIS only covers some areas, I remember when I had a patient in ICU, the drugs no be here, expensive shits, took my NHIS card to get the drug and I was told that the program only covers the less expensive drugs embarassed not fair at all
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by luiginho2xl(m): 11:33am On Oct 13, 2019
Can we get a link to their website?
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by luiginho2xl(m): 11:33am On Oct 13, 2019
Ovems:

The plan is called Vcship and it is 15k per year per person.
links please
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by candygirl4real: 11:53am On Oct 13, 2019
Is NHIS in every state. where is it located in port harcourt?
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Ovems(f): 12:35pm On Oct 13, 2019
luiginho2xl:
links please
I don't have the link but it's done in NHIS. Just go with your passport photograph or they might take your photo there. The plan is really worth it.
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by PatKing(f): 12:37pm On Oct 13, 2019
Odunolumide:
pls can someone educate me on how effective this NHIS stuff is ? I hope when you need them it won't be like normal Nigeria palava ?

it's the most transparent effective thing happening in Nigeria...
please subscribe ASAP.
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by folly22(f): 2:58pm On Oct 13, 2019
olisaEze:
Very welcome development. But the scheme should be extended to non salary earners as our unemployment rate seems to be on the increase with each subsequent administration. Nice one from NHIS.
There is voluntary Nhis for non salary earners. It's 15k per year.
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by toluwa1(f): 3:40pm On Oct 13, 2019
Waooo.....this is a great news...
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Risingblue008(m): 5:54pm On Oct 13, 2019
Noted
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by lizdammy: 5:55pm On Oct 13, 2019
BrandSpurNG:
The Executive Secretary, National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), Prof Mohammed Sambo had stated some levels of cancer surgeries and chemotherapy are now covered under the Scheme. Prof Sambo made this known while receiving the First Lady of Kebbi State, Dr Zainab Shinkafi-Bagudu, who was on a working visit to NHIS head office in Abuja Wednesday. He expressed concern about the high prevalence of cancer, noting that NHIS will continue to explore ways of working with public-spirited organisations and individuals to increase support to cancer patients.

He expressed delight that the Scheme seized the opportunity to review its operational guidelines in 2012 to remove cancer from the exclusion list of its benefits package.

The ES said, innovative healthcare financing will open up resources for effective support for patients with capital-intensive conditions, such as cancer.

He however called on governmental and non-governmental organisations involved in creating awareness about cancer and building support for cancer patients to intensify advocacy to the appropriate authorities and institutions, for the institutionalisation of innovative healthcare financing, such as special taxes on smoking and telecommunication, with proceeds dedicated to funding healthcare for the vulnerable among us, as well as cancer patients. Prof Sambo commended Dr Shinkafi-Bagudu, who is also the founder of Medicaid Cancer Foundation, for the enormous work she has done selflessly and tirelessly over the years, by pushing so hard to help in taming the scourge of cancer while expressing the commitment of NIHS to work with the First Lady and her Foundation  to ensure that cancer does not subdue humanity in our environment.

Dr Shinkafi-Bagudu requested the support of NHIS in the various activities of the Foundation in the areas of creating awareness, cancer screening, support for victims and advocacy. She expressed regret that most patients of cancer do not have the economic capacity to help themselves, which is the challenge we must all accept and rise up to confront, noting that together we can do much.

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2019/10/11/cancer-surgeries-chemotherapy-now-covered-by-nhis/
Good news.
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by unuane1(m): 3:24am On Oct 14, 2019
Contrary to what happen to a friend two weeks ago. She has been treating cancer for sometime breast cancer to be precise and has always use NHIS but last two weeks when she went for another round of her chemotherapy she was told that NHIS no longer cover part of the cancer treatment. Then it used to cover some part of the chemo drugs but she was told that NHIS no longer cover cover cancer treatment that it was recently reviewed. She had to p.ay for the chemotherapy drugs and other investigation she did in full 100%. So I beg to ask if this news is true or just want to know if it has been included again.. Her HMO is premiered Medicare
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by pat077: 4:20pm On Nov 04, 2019
jboixxx:

All Fed employees are on it by default... don't know if states are by law inclusive but private institutions must approach any preferred HMO for registration.
what about individuals
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Nyxx123: 12:06pm On Apr 02, 2020
ifyonline:

Why Avon Hmm??. How about other Hmo's too

Hii Ma'am, I bumped into your comment, while searching for HMO, I was considerin Avon before I came across your comment, pls do you mind sharing your experience with them? I really need reviews on HMO

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Worst Sickness You Ever Had? / Nigerian Volunteers Return From Ebola-stricken Countries / 6 World’s Craziest And Most Extreme Bodybuilders [pics]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.