Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,681 members, 7,955,519 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:08 AM

Lust Or Art: What Are Afrobeat Videos Selling Point? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Lust Or Art: What Are Afrobeat Videos Selling Point? (318 Views)

Bbnaija: A Vehicle Of Lust And Sexual Temptation / Dorathy: I Only Lust After Brighto, No Feelings For Him / BBNaija: Gedoni 'Ponzi Scheme, MMM Wrecked Me At A Point In My Life' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lust Or Art: What Are Afrobeat Videos Selling Point? by Akposb(m): 6:31pm On Oct 11, 2019
Music is one thing I enjoy especially in a chaotic environment like ours. Once in a while, I decide to listen to music played on the various cable channels. I am forced to ask myself this question.

Are Nigerian music videos selling art or lust? I think we sell lust going by the amount of sleazy videos that are shown on various channels. Once I am seated to watch, I always have the remote control by my side just to get off suffering my thoughts unnecessarily. At least I have got my dreams to protect from unbearable sexual pressures.

It is no doubt that sex sells and we have just enough evidence. I am left wondering if Nigerian music videos could attract audience without inducing lust in the mind of its viewers. There are few examples of videos that do not feast on the lure of feminine beauty and sensuality. Probably, I am old fashioned but I am just concerned about the mental state of young persons.

I agree that such videos are not for all but most times we have little option aside these. I listen to more of gospel songs knowing I can comfortably enjoy their lyrics but there is hardly a dedicated channel for gospel songs. Also, I am a creative and just love the art of music with its ability to tell various stories.

The majority of Nigerians especially in the South cannot get enough of Afrobeats. I wonder if these musicians are just acting out a collective appetite for voyeurism or it is them forcing it on viewers. If we really practice art in music, I bet they will still sell as children and young adults could safely watch them without getting sexually excited.

Beyond morality, I wonder if we are going to win the foreign market just by displaying lusty activities in videos. Do they really care about the brash display of female sexuality or they are interested in the beat that accompanies mostly weird lyrics spurn by musicians and songwriters.

In truth, it is normal if you steer clear of videos that display obscene activities. It is normal if you do not know the purveyors of lust rather than art. It is your right as a male to choose what will enhance your innocence than wallow in the pit of lust.

(1) (Reply)

Naija Stand-up Comedy Pop-up Channel Back On Dstv And Gotv This November / BREAKING: Popular Evangelist, Reinhard Bonnke Dies At 79 - See More Details / Netflix's First Nigerian Original—Here's What We Know About It So Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.