Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Khan El Khalili Bazaar In Cairo - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Khan El Khalili Bazaar In Cairo (255 Views)

London-bound Nigerian Passenger Dies Aboard Egypt Air, Corpse ‘dumped In Cairo' / My Empty Flight Experience On EgyptAir From Cairo To Athens / My Visit To Controversial Cairo Airport Stone Sculpture (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Khan El Khalili Bazaar In Cairo by extraegypt(m): 1:02am On Oct 13, 2019
Khan el-Khalili bazaar Cairo
Khan el-Khalili Bazaar Cairo is an important and most important suq / bazaar in the old city of Cairo. At the present location of the Khal el-Khalili bazaar was originally a mausoleum, which was part of a large palace complex. However, this was destroyed during the reign of Sultan Barquq, by Emir Jarkaz el-Khalili. The Khan el-Khalili bazaar dates back to the 14th century, when the Mamluk architect Emir Dscharkas el-Khalili built a caravanserai on a former cemetery.

The Karawanserei or Handeslhof, was a walled hostel on Karawanstrassen. There travelers could safely spend the night with their animals and trade goods and provide themselves with food. At that time around 10,000 people worked and lived in the Khan, bargaining for spices, animals and fabrics. Cairo was predestined for its optimal location, as the trade routes from Africa and Asia crossed here. In the 15th century, the Khan el-Khalili established itself as a trading center for valuable stones and Skalvenhandel.
source : www.extraegypt.de

(1) (Reply)

Four Burnt To Death, 14 Hospitalized In Ondo Road Clash. / I'm Moving To Ghana By The End Of This Month Help A Brother Please / Ondo School Teachers, Others Killed In Ogun Road Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.