Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,159 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

Beyond Our Land Borders Closure - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beyond Our Land Borders Closure (16712 Views)

Nigeria Borders Closure, Creating Hunger For Beninois And Nigeriens - IMF / The Real Politics Behind Borders Closure In Nigeria / I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by executive12: 7:15am On Oct 13, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

And the beauty of democracy is that you are meant to hold your leaders accountable.

The thing is, most Nigerians (me inclusiive) won't do the hard work of democracy...ie accountability. They just think that it is all about voting X or Y and then go home.

And you believe that Nigeria is a democracy?
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by EzekaUdenee: 7:16am On Oct 13, 2019
[s]
post=83089903:
okay
[/s]
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by princemillla(m): 7:17am On Oct 13, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

And the beauty of democracy is that you are meant to hold your leaders accountable.

The thing is, most Nigerians (me inclusiive) won't do the hard work of democracy...ie accountability. They just think that it is all about voting X or Y and then go home.

I will be glad If you school me how to hold leaders who think irrational accountable. We all watch how other countries show their grievances thru protest and it worked. There is no record of peaceful protest against the government here for doing or implementing a bad policy without the threat of life.

And the good part of it Is Nigeria d0nt practice democracy. One thousands soul is nothing in the eye of politicalian who want to embezzle 1m naira
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by tspun(m): 7:22am On Oct 13, 2019
PoliticalWitch:
Well, one solution is to remove fuel subsidies...

Here is the thing. Fuel is being smuggled to neighbouring countries...because

1.In Benin, fuel is N298. In Niger, it is N370, and in Cameroon it is at least N300 per liter.

2.Subsidy works this way. Importers buy fuel at N200 per liter, and sell it to depot at N137. Government pays the difference (N63) between the cost of importation and sale...meaning many importers cannot make a profit.

3.So importers import fuel, smuggle some across the border....and make a cool profit.

4.Also, a lot of fuel marketers make a lot of profit by smuggling fuel across the border too. Buy fuel at N137...sell across the broder at N300 and above....that 's a tidy sum made.

5.Deregulation, while being hard on Nigerians (before you shout at ,me, I am fully aware that removing subsides is going to be harsh, and God knows I wish it was not so), would end this smuggling.

6. We could save over N500billion annually or more from removing subsidy...which could eventually lead to making improvements in trasport, education health, etc.

7.Investors in our oil and gas sector would be attracted, which means more refinereis, and crucially more jobs.

Stop saying rubbish, are u sure u leave in Nigeria? What have they done with the once in their reach? Or u want to give them more money to steal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 13, 2019
executive12:

And you believe that Nigeria is a democracy?

I guess you have never lived under millitary rule...that's why you doubt we are a democracy.

Yes, Nigeria, is a very very imperfect democracy.

The truth is, if it wasn't for the coups of 1966 and 1983 , we would have been further ahead in our democratic growth. We are having teething problems that should have been ironed out decades ago.

We are a democracy, and yes, having lived under Army rule....I'll be glad to take this democracy, even with all its wars and bad parties like PDP and APC. And if anyone thinks of organisng a coup, sorry, I'll oppose it.

1 Like

Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by lifeisbeautiful: 7:28am On Oct 13, 2019
Border closure is a good idea but our custom officers are incompetent,they stop goods coming into the country good move what about goods going out of the country ? Most neighboring countries depend on Nigeria goods,from auto parts,weavons,hair cream and other products that are been produce in Nigeria that are meant for exportation . Our government think one way,border closure favors the government but it's bad policy for the masses,our top officials eat imported rice while they force masses to eat local rice,they visit foregin hospitals for medical checkup there children school abroad while they continue decieving us on border closure that is mostly affecting Nigerians.
Thousands of trailer stuck at various border,visit Aspamda market or Lagos island to see how badly this border closure is affecting our local businesses.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 13, 2019
tspun:

Stop saying rubbish, are u sure u leave in Nigeria? What have they done with the once in their reach? Or u want to give them more money to steal.

Okay,,,.....let the smugglers win then.

We have a relatively good GSM network because Obasanjo allowed GSM companies charge what they wanted from the word go. The result...a good GSM network that was built without any government money.

And in the early days, prices were sky high. My dad's SIM, which he got in 2005, cost him N10000. Nowadays, that sim would cost him N500. Investment, and more investment is the reason why.

As for fuel, Nigerian governments since 1970's have been controlling the price of fuel. As a result, we lack investment, NNPC does not have the money to build and maintain and upgrade new refineries adequately, and the truth is, many of the people who have been licensed to build new refinereis cannot build them because they would be operating at a loss.

If there was no subsidy since the 1970's, by now we would have had cheap fuel, lots of refinereis, and more jobs

So, if you think my comment is rubbish....sorry.

I[b]f you were a businessman, and you bought shirts at N3000 and government forced you to sell the shirts at N1000 and paid you a subsidy of N1000 , you not only would be selling at a loss, you would be broke...

That is what we have been doing to our petroleum industry. And that is why there is so much mess there.[/b]
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 13, 2019
executive12:

You are on point. I don't expect the clueless bigot Buhari to do that though.

The truth is,. no Nigerian poltican would do it.

Right now in oil producer Ecuador, President Lenin Moreno has removed subsides. As a result, there are riots on the street, the capital is basically in the hands of protesters, and people are angry.

Here in Nigeria, we have known since 1993 that oil subsidy has to go completely. But because no one wants to be removed from power, what we do is partial removal when the current subsidy becomes unsustainable. (which is what Buhari did in 2016).

To be honest, Buahri should be bold and remove subsidy. It 's good for our economy. But he would be removed because Nigerians don't do long term economics.

(PDP too is of the same idea...which is why Atiku was proposing an extension of the subsidy...by making sure we pay N90 per liter of fuel. With the poor returns from oil, eh).
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 13, 2019
Olalan:
As much as it has become necessary to act against the increasing smuggling in the country, I wonder what really is the need for us as a nation to have custom officers who can't do their jobs at the borders

That is the reason why a person from outsides customs was appointed to head the agency.

Like the police, for everyone within the system corruption and kickbacks are part and parcel of their package.

It will be extremely difficult to root ouy the culture, and the way to start is by having someone who was never in on any scams to begin with
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Nobody: 7:40am On Oct 13, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

The truth is,. no Nigerian poltican would do it.

Right now in oil producer Ecuador, President Lenin Moreno has removed subsides. As a result, there are riots on the street, the capital is basically in the hands of protesters, and people are angry.

Here in Nigeria, we have known since 1993 that oil subsidy has to go completely. But because no one wants to be removed from power, what we do is partial removal when the current subsidy becomes unsustainable. (which is what Buhari did in 2016).

To be honest, Buahri should be bold and remove subsidy. It 's good for our economy. But he would be removed because Nigerians don't do long term economics.

(PDP too is of the same idea...which is why Atiku was proposing an extension of the subsidy...by making sure we pay N90 per liter of fuel. With the poor returns from oil, eh).

The funny thing is Buhari did remove the subsidy, in 2015 when the price of oil dropped and our economy took a hit. The price of oil was low enough for the price of petrol to be bearable. As the price of oil rose, our economy recovered, and nnpc started wayo accounting to disguise the fact that petrol is subsidised. Today, only nnpc is bringing in pms. No one else.

You are right though. Pms pricing is a lightning rod. Sadly kachikwus attempts to reform nnpc into a profit making venture were sabotaged by nnpc itself. NNPC is probably the only company in the world where management and the unions are chummy.
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Nobody: 7:45am On Oct 13, 2019
ornicus:

The funny thing is Buhari did remove the subsidy, in 2015 when the price of oil dropped and our economy took a hit. The price of oil was low enough for the price of petrol to be bearable. As the price of oil rose, our economy recovered, and nnpc started wayo accounting to disguise the fact that petrol is subsidised. Today, only nnpc is bringing in pms. No one else.

Yes it seems he did remove subsidy, until one realizes that the government was setting the price.

At the time, landing cost of fuel was N132. Fuel price was N87, and oil prices were very very low (around $30). Hence the removal.

But when landing cost went abouve N145.,...that's when NNPC s tatred the wayo accounting.

Yeah, I forgot NNPC is now the sole importer of fuel by the way, thanks.

You are right though. Pms pricing is a lightning rod. Sadly kachikwus attempts to reform nnpc into a profit making venture were sabotaged by nnpc itself. NNPC is probably the only company in the world where management and the unions are chummy.

The funny thing is that deregulation could benefit NNPC and the unions much more. But they don't see it.

Nigerians too don;t see the long term benefits (and it isn't their fault really, many Nigerians are not that rich).
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by 90five: 7:48am On Oct 13, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

1.In Benin, fuel is N298. In Niger, it is N370, and in Cameroon it is at least N300 per liter.

2.Subsidy works this way. Importers buy fuel at N200 per liter, and sell it to depot at N137. Government pays the difference (N63) between the cost of importation and sale...meaning many importers cannot make a profit.

3.So importers import fuel, smuggle some across the border....and make a cool profit.

4.Also, a lot of fuel marketers make a lot of profit by smuggling fuel across the border too. Buy fuel at N137...sell across the broder at N300 and above....that 's a tidy sum made.

5.Deregulation, while being hard on Nigerians (before you shout at ,me, I am fully aware that removing subsides is going to be harsh, and God knows I wish it was not so), would end this smuggling.

6. We could save over N500billion annually or more from removing subsidy...which could eventually lead to making improvements in trasport, education health, etc.

7.Investors in our oil and gas sector would be attracted, which means more refinereis, and crucially more jobs.

You made valid points but did not talk about the crucial part of it.

Nigeria has 3 refineries, if those refineries were utilised who would talk about importers.

Revatalising the refineries was one reason subsidy was removed in the first place, but it is over 9 years now, nothing to show for it.

Kaduna refinery has not produced a single drop of fuel since last year, salaries are being paid while crude is being taken outside and brought back to Nigeria. Ain't that pathetic.

We all know that the govt knows what to do, but has chosen to either feign ignorance while looting the nation dry or pretend as if they are working while still looting the nation dry. Even borrow more to loot.

The most pathetic thing is that we dont know the implications of All the loans they borrow from China. China is not Santa Claus and has never been. Check out Dept Trap Diplomacy to understand what I mean.
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by HowDareU: 7:53am On Oct 13, 2019
Speaking from a security perspective, the closure of the border is a good thing. If not anything, at least it will deter every terrorist groups from smuggling illegal weapons into Nigeria; foreign banditries inclusive. Check my blog: www.securitymattersafrica.com

1 Like

Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 13, 2019
90five:

Nigeria has 3 refineries, if those refineries were utilised who would talk about importers.

Revatalising the refineries was one reason subsidy was removed in the first place, but it is over 9 years now, nothing to show for it.

Kaduna refinery has not produced a single drop of fuel since last year, salaries are being paid while crude is being taken outside and brought back to Nigeria. Ain't that pathetic.

We all know that the govt knows what to do, but has chosen to either feign ignorance while looting the nation dry or pretend as if they are working while still looting the nation dry. Even borrow more to loot.

The most pathetic thing is that we dont know the implications of All the loans they borrow from China. China is not Santa Claus and has never been. Check out Dept Trap Diplomacy to understand what I mean.

1. The last refinery in Kaduna was built in 1988. That's 31 years ago. Since then, the number of cars and generators, and other vehicles has gone up . Even at full capacity, we would still have to import fuel massively.

2.And because NNPC isn't earningm much of a profit from fuel due to subsidy, there isn't much money to fix refinereis.

3.Subsidy has not gone. What Buhari did in 2016 was raise prices from N87 TO N145 when cost of importing fuel was N132. Now, the cost of imprting fuel is N200 per liter. See the issue.NNPC is now spending a lot of money mantaining the subsidy...which also privides avenues for corruption.

4.Because of serious price controls, ie subsidy...that's why no one is going to come and build refineries (dangote's refienry is funded heavily by government secured loans. Dangote did contribute $3billion of his cash though). Manking one liter of fuel in Nigeria costs N165 . Anyone building a refneirey would he forced to sell below N140, AND subsidy payments would be N25. No profit made.

5.We take loans because the oil price is low. We need oil at $139 per barrel to stop borrowing. Oil is at $58 right now. Was at $75 in 2015, and $30 in 2016. Nigeria has no choice.
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 13, 2019
90five:

The refineries are a black hole. I am not sure they can ever be truly revitalised. They are running 70s technology. I have heard stories of expats coming and being amazed that some equipment is still somehow operational. (it is not to be celebrated - a 1978 corolla being used today is not a good thing)

Obj is at fault here. The refineries were sold in his tenure but he reversed the sale. Those refineries may never run optimally.
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by IMASTEX: 8:03am On Oct 13, 2019
naijapower:
Good job by the Buhari lead administration
I call it a useless job, reasons
* It is a temporary closure: Meaning those buying a bag of rice for almost 30k are been punished unjustly. And the rice farmers won't go all out into investing knowing the outcome.
* It means that custom is fully compromised, so no matter the temporary closure. Once the border is reopened. Everything will return to the usual.
I've gone across that border severally. I could tell someone on top has a stake in what goes on with the supposed authorities on the border.
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by DesChyko: 8:06am On Oct 13, 2019
So long as it's 'all borders', it's a great move.

I hope FG is working actively to woo investors into investing in this rice mine. That way, they have to be bound to keep their promise of seeing this through until the end.

It will be nice if we can be self-sufficient in the rice matters.
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by 90five: 8:07am On Oct 13, 2019
ornicus:

The refineries are a black hole. I am not sure they can ever be truly revitalised. They are running 70s technology. I have heard stories of expats coming and being amazed that some equipment is still somehow operational. (it is not to be celebrated - a 1978 corolla being used today is not a good thing)

Obj is at fault here. The refineries were sold in his tenure but he reversed the sale. Those refineries may never run optimally.

Okay, but are you trying to say that Nigeria doesn't have the capacity to build two or more refineries and maintain them too? Cause Nigerians and maintenance are like the North pole and the South Pole, they can never meet.

We know our problems, we know how to solve them, but we are driven by inertia.
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by loswhite(m): 8:12am On Oct 13, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

The most important thing to a place ban on is fuel importation not rice. How can a country like Nigeria be ok with importation of fuel and yet scream when it comes to rice importation? In news you hear of billions of foreign exchange on rice, please hay you heard the one for daily fuel importation? Can Nigeria rice production presently meet the demand of over 200 million ppl? In as much as we need to promote local production there must be a systematic way of making it attractive to the citizens...

1 Like

Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by pipeliner: 8:14am On Oct 13, 2019
Great effort by the government. But I smiled a little bit when I noticed the writer mention cattle rustlers without also mentioning armed herdsmen. again border closure and tight control is nothing if the focus is on south of Nigeria. greater achievement will be made if the northern borders are put under tight scrutiny and control. The effect of lose control on our northern borders is a security matter and affects Nigerian even more that the smuggling that takes place in the south. The Nigerian government should diversify their corrective actions and apply it equally across the country, otherwise it is simply a waste of time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 13, 2019
loswhite:
The most important thing to a place ban on is fuel importation not rice. How can a country like Nigeria be ok with importation of fuel and yet scream when it comes to rice importation? In news you hear of billions of foreign exchange on rice, please hay you heard the one for daily fuel importation? Can Nigeria rice production presently meet the demand of over 200 million ppl? In as much as we need to promote local production there must be a systematic way of making it attractive to the citizens...

At the moment we cannot ban fuel imports for these reasons

1.Our refinereis, the last one which was built some 31 years ago, cannot meet local demand even at full capacity.

2.Because of subsidy, anyone building new refienreis would be selling fuel from these refinereis at a loss (Kerosene, gas et al have been deregulated).

Basically, under subsidy, a domestic refiner would refine fuel at N165 or more per liter...and then sell the same fuel at N137 or less. Losing as much as N30 per liter sold. (That's why of the 60 licences given for refinereis in this country, less than 10 are building something//have something on ground)
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 13, 2019
90five:

Okay, but are you trying to say that Nigeria doesn't have the capacity to build two or more refineries and maintain them too? Cause Nigerians and maintenance are like the North pole and the South Pole, they can never meet.

We know our problems, we know how to solve them, but we are driven by inertia.

That is why the best option was privatization. Nepa, Nitel, NNPC were/are run like civil service.

Kaduna refinery does not work. Any private business would have shut it down. Kachikwu tried to commercialize nnpc by initiating partnerships and JVs but ultimately he was frustrated.

Our government has tried and failed at running viable businesses. Most of NNPC is not a viable entity. It is crude carrying all of them
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by 90five: 8:23am On Oct 13, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

1. The last refinery in Kaduna was built in 1988. That's 31 years ago. Since then, the number of cars and generators, and other vehicles has gone up . Even at full capacity, we would still have to import fuel massively.

2.And because NNPC isn't earningm much of a profit from fuel due to subsidy, there isn't much money to fix refinereis.

3.Subsidy has not gone. What Buhari did in 2016 was raise prices from N87 TO N145 when cost of importing fuel was N132. Now, the cost of imprting fuel is N200 per liter. See the issue.NNPC is now spending a lot of money mantaining the subsidy...which also privides avenues for corruption.

4.Because of serious price controls, ie subsidy...that's why no one is going to come and build refineries (dangote's refienry is funded heavily by government secured loans. Dangote did contribute $3billion of his cash though). Manking one liter of fuel in Nigeria costs N165 . Anyone building a refneirey would he forced to sell below N140, AND subsidy payments would be N25. No profit made.

5.We take loans because the oil price is low. We need oil at $139 per barrel to stop borrowing. Oil is at $58 right now. Was at $75 in 2015, and $30 in 2016. Nigeria has no choice.

Okay, all these don't make any sense to me. For how long are we going to continue funding the importation of fuel, will it be when Nigerians pay more than half of their monthly income, for those that even have the work. It was under their watch that all these excalated. There is no logic there at all, cause all the funds meant for all these have always been diverted. With all the monies pumped into the fight against insecurity, a recent report shows that NA still use ammunition from Shehu Shagari's era. If all these are being put in place, if everyone obeyed and respected the rule of law, we would be better off.

That's their reason for borrowing, so they say, but last year Bubari claimed to have shared the returned Abacha loot to the poor but went to China the next month to borrow the same amount, what logic is this reasoning.

When anyone is making a plan, they try to eliminate every problem possible, but we blacks are very ignorant.

Look at how they handled the issue with those British duo, now we are in court trying not to pay 9.6b dollar. That's pathetic.
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Exposedforall: 8:23am On Oct 13, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by King44(m): 8:26am On Oct 13, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

fuel is 143 already if subsidy is removed fuel price is likely to sky rocket to 200 plus that would be a very harsh one for me the subsidy is okay as long as out products don't get out of the country illegally if the borders are well manned, besides the motive for fuel subsidy is to ease the price at which the marketers would sell it to their customers hence if not for the 143 per litter being monitored by DPR the marketers don't mind to sell at 500 per litter I have worked with them sometimes profit comes with greed besides even if it is removed only a very few percentage of the revenue would be spent on those facilities and infrastructure you mentioned while the rest would go back to the system and you know there are a lot of people who don't mind to crash the country's economy just to make sure their pockets are well filled so going by ur analysis subsidy is OK it is meant to ease the harshness of fuel dispensation
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by 90five: 8:32am On Oct 13, 2019
ornicus:

That is why the best option was privatization. Nepa, Nitel, NNPC were/are run like civil service.

Kaduna refinery does not work. Any private business would have shut it down. Kachikwu tried to commercialize nnpc by initiating partnerships and JVs but ultimately he was frustrated.

Our government has tried and failed at running viable businesses. Most of NNPC is not a viable entity. It is crude carrying all of them

Okay. Privitalisation, how well has Nitel fared?
The people that bought Nepa are already complaining they can't handle the workload, that Nigeria should come rebuy it.

NNPC has been in operation because it is our only means of survival, if no one buys fuel again, you will see how useless it would become. At that, they still allowed our refineries go into disuse under their watch.

No one obeys rule of law in this country. I keep saying it, if Buhari obeys rule of law, who am I not to obey the rule of law.

Since, the head has always been punctuated with gross misconduct and loopholes, every man is bound to craft their own loopholes. Thus, we get nothing but half baked endeavours.

We need a reorientation in this country. If we continue like this, we would amount to nothing.
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 13, 2019
90five:

Okay, all these don't make any sense to me. For how long are we going to continue funding the importation of fuel, will it be when Nigerians pay more than half of their monthly income, for those that even have the work. It was under their watch that all these excalated. There is no logic there at all, cause all the funds meant for all these have always been diverted. With all the monies pumped into the fight against insecurity, a recent report shows that NA still use ammunition from Shehu Shagari's era. If all these are being put in place, if everyone obeyed and respected the rule of law, we would be better off.

That's their reason for borrowing, so they say, but last year Bubari claimed to have shared the returned Abacha loot to the poor but went to China the next month to borrow the same amount, what logic is this reasoning.

When anyone is making a plan, they try to eliminate every problem possible, but we blacks are very ignorant.

Look at how they handled the issue with those British duo, now we are in court trying not to pay 9.6b dollar. That's pathetic.

You don't understand because you think I am excusing the government

Read my post again.

Also read this article hereBREAKEVEN NIGERIA

Nigeria needs an oil price of $139 a barrel to balance its budget this
year, Fitch Ratings Ltd said on Thursday.

Fitch, an international rating agency, in an April 5 report, said
Nigeria has the worst situation among 14 major oil exporting nations in the
Middle East, Africa and emerging Europe.

Bloomberg reports that the agency said Kuwait is in the best position
of major oil exporting nations to have a balanced government budget
this year with oil forecast to average $52.50 a barrel.

The report noted that even after cuts in government subsidies and currency devaluations, 11 of them won’t have balanced government budgets this year, including Saudi Arabia.

“Fiscal reforms and exchange rate adjustments are generally supporting
improved fiscal positions compared to 2015, but have not prevented erosion of sovereign creditworthiness,” the rating agency said.

It explained further that only Kuwait, Qatar and the Republic of Congo have estimated break-evens that are below Fitch’s oil price forecast
for this year.

Kuwait at $45 a barrel traditionally has a low break-even because of its high per-capita hydrocarbon production and more recently its “large estimated investment income” from its sovereign wealth fund, Fitch added.

Earlier, Brent crude, a global benchmark, averaged about $55 a barrel for 2017.

The rating agency said it “substantially” raised the fiscal break-even prices for Nigeria, Angola and Gabon from 2015 levels because of
rising government spending.

A breakdown of the Fitch forecast 2017 break-even oil prices per
barrel shows that Nigeria was pegged at $139, Bahrain at $84, Angola
at $82, and Oman at $75.

Others are Saudi Arabia at $74, Russia at $72, Kazakhstan at $71, and
Gabon at $66; as well as Azerbaijan at $66, Iraq at $61, Abu Dhabi,
United Arab Emirates, at $60, Republic of Congo at $52, Qatar at $51 and Kuwait at $45.

Note that oil has been below $120 since 2009....which is why we are borrowing. Even now, for every barrel of oil we sell, we are losing $80 because the oil price is not at the breakeven.

Even having the loot returned cannot meet all our needs, and the corruption is making things worse.

I

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Bighead9: 8:39am On Oct 13, 2019
Buhari is working. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by loswhite(m): 8:49am On Oct 13, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

At the moment we cannot ban fuel imports for these reasons

1.Our refinereis, the last one which was built some 31 years ago, cannot meet local demand even at full capacity.

2.Because of subsidy, anyone building new refienreis would be selling fuel from these refinereis at a loss (Kerosene, gas et al have been deregulated).

Basically, under subsidy, a domestic refiner would refine fuel at N165 or more per liter...and then sell the same fuel at N137 or less. Losing as much as N30 per liter sold. (That's why of the 60 licences given for refinereis in this country, less than 10 are building something//have something on ground)
has government stopped paying the subsidy? The ppl that imported same fuel and sold at the stipulated government price did they make losses? So if as you claim domestic refiner would loose as as much as 30 naira for refining in Nigeria why is it not applicable to those importing? Or are you saying they are loosing? The average Nigerian business man wants immediate profit so those license were giving with an option to lift which means an option to import fuel. If u were giving a license to build refinery and option to import fuel and a guarantee of no loss since the government will be paying the difference (subsidy) what would you do? Understanding that the reason for high consumption of fuel is simply because of lack of electricity... The country you mentioned that do not subsidize fuel consumption consume far less petroleum products... Zero improvement on the power sector after 4 years and no signs of improvement so it also means the fuel consumption will also be high and ultimately high Forex spent on the importation of fuel. Please can you compare the amount of Forex spent on fuel importation to that of rice? Why is that we hear of billions of Forex spent on rice and we don't hear of that on fuel importation? Fuel importation is sabotage to Nigerian economy but yet you see successive governments pretend as if it is not

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Wettoid123: 8:58am On Oct 13, 2019
2extremes:
Please, i need someone to borrow me 10k to take to the hospital. My inner right ear aches badly. The pain is really unbearable. I promise to return it by month end. 0808.1. 473.5.39

Its like the begging on nairaland is taking a new shape,,the money you don't have now how will you get it by month end to pay?
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by Nobody: 9:00am On Oct 13, 2019
loswhite:
has government stopped paying the subsidy?

Subsidy is still being paid. They call it underrecovery, and NNPC is paying it.

The ppl that imported same fuel and sold at the stipulated government price did they make losses? So if as you claim domestic refiner would loose as as much as 30 naira for refining in Nigeria why is it not applicable to those importing? Or are you saying they are loosing?

1.NNPC is now the sole importer of fuel since 2017.

2.A lot of people selling fuel at government prices also sell across the broder to Benin, Niger and Cameroon, where fuel costs N300 per liter..and make profit.

3.Before 2017, a lot of importers were losing. hence a big part of the reason why we kept on having fuel crisis. Since NNPC took over, things have sort of changed.

4.Until subsidy goes, domestic refining cannot improve. And Dangote refienry won't save us. It is planned to be producing at half capacity by 2030.

The average Nigerian business man wants immediate profit so those license were giving with an option to lift which means an option to import fuel. If u were giving a license to build refinery and option to import fuel and a guarantee of no loss since the government will be paying the difference (subsidy) what would you do?

1.Well, businessmen are in it for profit. Or what do you think they are? Charity workers? Not only do they have to make profit, but they have to make sufficent profit to pay workers and make new investments

2.Here is how subsidy works. I buy shirts at N3000 per piece. Want to sell them at N3500 a piece. Government steps in, tells me to sell at N1500 and then pays me a subsidy of N1000. Not only do I not make a profit, I lose money on every sale.

I cannot expand my business, cannot pay staff, cannot employ new staff, etc.

Same thing is happening in the oil sector. Paying a subsidy means no profit made. You import fuel at N200, sell at N137, all government gives youis N63 per liter. No profit....nothing.

Understanding that the reason for high consumption of fuel is simply because of lack of electricity... The country you mentioned that do not subsidize fuel consumption consume far less petroleum products... Zero improvement on the power sector after 4 years and no signs of improvement so it also means the fuel consumption will also be high and ultimately high Forex spent on the importation of fuel

Power supply is another discussion. Suffice it to know that DISCOS cannot rsie sufficent money because the law setting them up essentially forces them to charge prices below the price of production of electricity...so they don't have enough cash to pay GENCOS....and thus reject power.

Then many Nigerians don't pay their power bills. (Yes, it is true, and no, I am not accusing you of being one of them, so relax).

Please can you compare the amount of Forex spent on fuel importation to that of rice? Why is that we hear of billions of Forex spent on rice and we don't hear of that on fuel importation? Fuel importation is sabotage to Nigerian economy but yet you see successive governments pretend as if it is not

Irrelevant to our discussion, plus rice improters increaisngly get forex from private sources. CBN has been increasingly hositle to allowing them obtain forex from the government. And then there is massive smuggling...which is parly why the broders are closed today.
Re: Beyond Our Land Borders Closure by 90five: 9:08am On Oct 13, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

You don't understand because you think I am excusing the government

Read my post again.

Also read this article hereBREAKEVEN NIGERIA

Nigeria needs an oil price of $139 a barrel to balance its budget this
year, Fitch Ratings Ltd said on Thursday.

Fitch, an international rating agency, in an April 5 report, said
Nigeria has the worst situation among 14 major oil exporting nations in the
Middle East, Africa and emerging Europe.

Bloomberg reports that the agency said Kuwait is in the best position
of major oil exporting nations to have a balanced government budget
this year with oil forecast to average $52.50 a barrel.

The report noted that even after cuts in government subsidies and currency devaluations, 11 of them won’t have balanced government budgets this year, including Saudi Arabia.

“Fiscal reforms and exchange rate adjustments are generally supporting
improved fiscal positions compared to 2015, but have not prevented erosion of sovereign creditworthiness,” the rating agency said.

It explained further that only Kuwait, Qatar and the Republic of Congo have estimated break-evens that are below Fitch’s oil price forecast
for this year.

Kuwait at $45 a barrel traditionally has a low break-even because of its high per-capita hydrocarbon production and more recently its “large estimated investment income” from its sovereign wealth fund, Fitch added.

Earlier, Brent crude, a global benchmark, averaged about $55 a barrel for 2017.

The rating agency said it “substantially” raised the fiscal break-even prices for Nigeria, Angola and Gabon from 2015 levels because of
rising government spending.

A breakdown of the Fitch forecast 2017 break-even oil prices per
barrel shows that Nigeria was pegged at $139, Bahrain at $84, Angola
at $82, and Oman at $75.

Others are Saudi Arabia at $74, Russia at $72, Kazakhstan at $71, and
Gabon at $66; as well as Azerbaijan at $66, Iraq at $61, Abu Dhabi,
United Arab Emirates, at $60, Republic of Congo at $52, Qatar at $51 and Kuwait at $45.

Note that oil has been below $120 since 2009....which is why we are borrowing. Even now, for every barrel of oil we sell, we are losing $80 because the oil price is not at the breakeven.

Even having the loot returned cannot meet all our needs, and the corruption is making things worse.

I

I don't think you are making excuses for the govt, I mean the govt has not been and are not logical in the way they handle situations.

The govt is occupied by people driven by self interest. No aspiring govt, whatsoever, already has a laid out platform of how he/she would move his/her domain forward, it is always about how they would exercise their power and how they would loot the nation dry.

Those nations you mentioned are very well above us in Ease of doing business, Corruption index and others. How do you think a developing nations develops if the avenue is not created.

We seem to be following the American model, yet we don't realise that America readily gives fund to its citizen, we don't know that ease of doing business in America is great.

The only thing our govt always come with, as a compensation, is empowerment programme and we pathetically praise them for it.
Growth comes from people living an enterprise to develop their own, how is that possible when the best you can get a month is 30k naira. If that empowerment money is channeld to a single resource that produces and makes income (and a little % is employed) and is properly utilised, in no time branches would be created and more would be employed.

Look at the issue of NYSC, what good does NYSC perform, billions of naira is allocated to that programme yearly. I tell you, give fresh Nigerian graduates 300k (I know a good number would misuse it) and see what they would become in the next 2-4 years.

Now look at education, this apparently shows that the govt has never had focus. We talk about the refinery still using equipment of about 30 years ago, what about the educational sector, how well has it fared? And we all know that, no nations triumphs without education. For years, no local agency could uncover Sex for Grades, it was a foreign agency that did it for us, yet we knew these things existed.

We put money where it is not needed and don't put money where it is needed. That seems to be a black man's problem.

I never said the govt should utilise all returned loot, I said it went and borrowed almost the same amount after claiming to have shared the returned one to the poor, which we all no poor people didn't get any money.

I wouldn't want to go into the fight against insecurity, that's saddening.

Thanks for your insight.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nwanta Anayoeze Joins Race For House Of Representatives, Picks Form (Photos) / Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi / Document Of Governors Backing Jang As NGF Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.