Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:11 AM

Black Woman Shot Dead By Texas Police Through Bedroom Window - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Black Woman Shot Dead By Texas Police Through Bedroom Window (408 Views)

Droupadi Murmu: So The President Of India Is A BLACK Woman! Wonderful. / Pregnant Woman Shot Five Times By Police In Missouri USA / Woman Shot Dead Inside US National Assembly (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Woman Shot Dead By Texas Police Through Bedroom Window by dermmy(m): 5:53pm On Oct 13, 2019
A black woman was shot dead by police through her own bedroom window in the early hours of Saturday morning, after a request to check on her welfare.

Atatiana Jefferson, 28, had been living at the residence in Fort Worth, Texas with her eight-year-old nephew.

A neighbour had called a non-emergency police number after growing concerned that her front door was open at night.

Police have released body cam footage of the incident, which shows an officer shooting within seconds of seeing her.

The clip shows police searching the perimeter of the residential property, before noticing a figure at the window. After demanding the person put their hands up, an officer then fired a shot through the glass.

The Fort Worth Police Department said in a statement that the officer, who is a white man, had "perceived a threat" when he drew his weapon.

He has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation, officials added.
The shooting happened at about 02:30 local time (07:30 GMT) on Saturday morning.

Although it is edited, the body cam footage does not appear to show the officers identifying themselves as police.
It does not show footage from inside the property but includes images of a weapon that police say they found inside the bedroom.
It is unclear if Ms Jefferson was holding a weapon at the time, but firearm possession is legal for people aged over 18 in Texas.
Police said officers provided emergency medical care to Ms Jefferson at the scene, but she was declared dead at the property.

'Playing video games'
The 28-year-old had been playing video games with her nephew before she went to investigate the noise outside the window, according to a lawyer representing her family.

"Her mom had recently gotten very sick, so she was home taking care of the house and loving her life," lawyer Lee Merritt said on Facebook.

"There was no reason for her to be murdered. None. We must have justice."
Ms Jefferson was a university graduate who was working in pharmaceutical equipment sales, he added.

The shooting comes less than two weeks after an off-duty police officer was jailed for shooting a black man, Bothan Jean, dead in his own Dallas apartment less than 35 miles (55km) from Saturday's incident.

Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke, himself from Texas, has spoken out about Ms Jefferson's death.

"As we mourn with Atatiana's loved ones, we must demand accountability and promise to fight until no family has to face a tragedy like this again," he posted on Twitter.

The National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People (NAACP) labelled Ms Jefferson's death "unacceptable".

Neighbour James Smith, 62, said he had checked the property himself before calling police, but failed to spot movement inside.

"I'm shaken. I'm mad. I'm upset. And I feel it's partly my fault," Mr Smith told the Star Telegram newspaper about requesting the welfare check. "If I had never dialled the police department, she'd still be alive."

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50032290

Re: Black Woman Shot Dead By Texas Police Through Bedroom Window by meezynetwork(m): 7:47pm On Oct 13, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Black Woman Shot Dead By Texas Police Through Bedroom Window by Appleyard(m): 1:41am On Oct 14, 2019
You can imagine. One ediot in the American political trend thread told me that racism is no longer an issue in America. I tell you the truth, if that woman was white, she still would have been alive today. It is no secret that the American law enforcement and entire Justice system is laden with covert racists. Now they are taking it from the streets down to the very homes of harmless, unarmed and defenseless African-Americans, yet one bozo thinks racism is very scarce now in the US.

How many white young teenagers are shot while unarmed in America? How many white folks are shot dead in their homes? Yet they have the guts to preach democrazy and justice to third world nations. This country is one hell of a murderous state. I will not be surprised if the damned racist cop/killer walk away with murder in the guise that he feared for his life.

Murderous country with murderous psychopaths lipsrsealed

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Black Woman Shot Dead By Texas Police Through Bedroom Window by Nobody: 6:24am On Oct 14, 2019
embarassed embarassed
Re: Black Woman Shot Dead By Texas Police Through Bedroom Window by panafrican(m): 7:27am On Oct 14, 2019
Here we go again, with a country that will never get tired of killing Black. In one or two months another KKK member in police uniform will shoot a Black in another state and get away with it.

2 Likes

Re: Black Woman Shot Dead By Texas Police Through Bedroom Window by dermmy(m): 2:41pm On Oct 14, 2019
panafrican:
Here we go again, with a country that will never get tired of killing Black. In one or two months another KKK member in police uniform will shoot a Black in another state and get away with it.

Killing black people is their hobby

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

President Trump Honours Conan Hero Dog That Helped Corner Al Baghdadi..... / Trump Has No Plan / Trump Pays Only $750 In Taxes in 2016 through 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.