Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,563 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour (964 Views)

Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour / Minimum Wage: Nnamdi Kanu Tells Labour To Boycott 2019 Election / New Minimum Wage: Employee Can’t Fix Figure For Employer - FG Tells Labour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour by Maniagist2: 6:57am On Oct 14, 2019
A former governor of Kaduna State, Senator Ahmed Makarfi, has asked organised labour in the country to always hold government accountable rather than fighting for “money, money.

Makarfi gave the advice in an interview with journalists during the 36th Plenary/AGM of the Unity Schools Old Students Association which held at the Federal Government College, Kaduna on Saturday

He said, “I had challenged, even before I became a governor, Labour leaders I knew that if they talked of money, money, money, they would end up with money that was not going to be useful.

Rather, hold government accountable. Demand for good governance, demand for infrastructure, demand for security, demand for a lot of things that are expected from government, a living wage which will be minimal.

But if you are always asking for money, somebody gives you N10 and takes away N30 for example, how do you benefit?

Makafi, who is a member of the association, added, “When you hear of wage increase in serious economies, it is by 1, 2, 2.3 per cent because it is not about the money; it is about what the government should provide. But here in Nigeria, we have freed government from providing those things and said no, give me, I can provide for myself when it is not possible.

The Minister of Water Resources, Adamu Suleiman, who is also a member of the association, lauded the nation’s founding leaders for establishing the 104 unity schools across the country.

He said, “There is no state that I go to in this country that I don’t see my classmates that will host me and be ready to give me his bedroom to sleep. We are very happy with the concept.

But we need to redraw the map; we can go back to the original concept of unity schools. These days, admission is a little bit skewed towards catchment areas.

In her keynote presentation on the ‘Role of USOSA in enthroning good governance for national development,’ a former acting Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Dr Habiba Muda Lawal, said the future of Nigeria depended on good governance.

USOSA, with its network of membership, human capital and goodwill across every neighbourhood, states and local governments of Nigeria and with unique access to the instrumentalities of official power of governance as well as private sector, religious leaders, civic and other sources of influence can work with the government of the Federation to provide a better system of education for the Nigerian child to thrive in a modern economy, that will eventually translate into national development,

Earlier, the President General of USOSA, Lawrence Wilbert, stressed the need for citizens’ contribution to good governance and urged leaders to take care of the many defects in 1999 Constitution.

He said, “Many informed speakers, writers and scholars, have argued compulsively that Nigeria’s socio-political economy has to be tinkered with to give Nigeria any chance of survival.

It is now widespread knowledge that Nigeria’s political leaders actually have no other choices but to take another look at the many defects that have been exhaustively pointed out in the 1999 Constitution.

Read more ; https://maniagist.com/2019/10/14/fight-for-good-governance-not-money-makarfi-tells-labour/

Re: Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour by Maniagist2: 6:57am On Oct 14, 2019
kiss
Re: Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour by PureGoldh(m): 7:08am On Oct 14, 2019
Ok
Re: Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour by jarawa: 7:10am On Oct 14, 2019
n
Re: Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour by Pepesipe(m): 7:16am On Oct 14, 2019
Maniagist2:
kiss
OK we don hear
Re: Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour by JonDon12: 7:28am On Oct 14, 2019
Yes they should fight for good governance but that's a big order in Nigeria. So don't blame them for fighting for 30000
A month. Nigerians are wicked people. Senators earn Hundreds of millions, the small guy cannot get 30000. AND THEY WILL OWE HIM.
Re: Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour by orunto27: 8:24am On Oct 14, 2019
Makarfi was a good and performing Governor.
Re: Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 14, 2019
orunto27:
Makarfi was a good and performing Governor.
Why is his state a massive shithole then?Can he attend any of the hospitals in his state or move abut without his security convoy
Re: Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour by haryorbarmie83(m): 12:28pm On Oct 14, 2019
And what have u done to help ur people during your reigns.
Re: Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour by orunto27: 1:23pm On Oct 14, 2019
djdutch:

Why is his state a massive shithole then?Can he attend any of the hospitals in his state or move abut without his security convoy

Makarfi is a son of the Soil, a Prince of Makarfi zone in Kaduna State. Katsina was part of Kaduna State before but now The Fulanis from the North are taking over the entire Kaduna State and wipe out non Fulanis. This is why the State is a shithole. Makarfi was abroad when Sharia struck. When he came back and saw the divastation, he wept bitterly before resettling The State peacefully. There is a Siege everywhere in Nigeria by The Fulanis. It is a fight for supremacy on the one hand and for survival on the other hand.
Re: Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour by ZombieTAMER: 1:59pm On Oct 14, 2019
orunto27:

Makarfi is a son of the Soil, a Prince of Makarfi zone in Kaduna State. Katsina was part of Kaduna State before but now The Fulanis from the North are taking over the entire Kaduna State and wipe out non Fulanis. This is why the State is a shithole. Makarfi was abroad when Sharia struck. When he came back and saw the divastation, he wept bitterly before resettling The State peacefully. There is a Siege everywhere in Nigeria by The Fulanis. It is a fight for supremacy on the one hand and for survival on the other hand.

With this undiluted truth of yours in a public space... Why are Nigerians Still living in denial when it comes to Buhari and his Fulani herdsmen
Re: Fight For Good Governance, Not Money, Makarfi Tells Labour by orunto27: 3:41pm On Oct 16, 2019
ZombieTAMER:

With this undiluted truth of yours in a public space... Why are Nigerians Still living in denial when it comes to Buhari and his Fulani herdsmen

Hitler entered with such mad Mindedness to shock the world. The Fulanis, their Almajiris and the Cabal will crash like no experience we have seen before and the Baby Nigeria will be delivered.

(1) (Reply)

Sochi: A Tale Of Two Presidents (pictures) / VP Osinbajo Loyal To Buhari In Impressive Manner – Daura Emir (Photos) / Rehabilitation Of Enugu Airport Halted As JJ Emejulu Erects Signpost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.