Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians (589 Views)

Facebook Users Criticize Fayemi For Referring To Tinubu As "Other Nigerians" / Pandora Papers Implicate Peter Obi, Nine Other Nigerians / Keyamo, Sowore, Other Nigerians Mourn Mohammed, Gani Fawehinmi’s Son (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians by Hoephase: 8:16am On Oct 14, 2019
Hi all,

I decided to create this thread based on a snide comment someone (yorubaNinja) made on the Chinua Achebe thread. A lady (jacksonkennedy) called him/her out for it.

I know bad news travel faster than good news and I have had my own share of bad experiences from folks across different ethnic group. But today I chose to share the positive and I am calling on all peace loving NL member to share their positive experiences. I believe by sharing our positive experiences with people from other tribes, we can encourage more positive behaviours.

So no more too much talk, I will go first, just to mention but a few:

When I first came to Europe to study, the first Nigerian I met was a Yoruba guy. I never knew him from Adam. Someone whose details I got online, sent him a message to assist me and when I came he sure did. He found accommodation for me and explained to me how things work around here. It was very helpful because at then even the uni gave me no information, if not for him I would have hard it worst than I did when I arrived.

When things was so hard that owe my landlord, he became the go between me and the landlord until I sorted my debts all out with the landlord. Till this moment we are still great friends.

I remember during the first years, a Yoruba guy in my class gave me some money ( for those abroad I am sure you all know how difficult it is for people to give someone money that can last them for at least a week out here) after seeing how difficult it was for me then.

Back when I was serving in the North, a Fulani guy got me an interview with Access Bank. In fact I got a call from one of their "oga" then. I later turned down the invite and told him I already got a job. Where that dude is now, I believe God will continue to reward him.

At my former place of work, one of my senior colleague from Akwa Ibom State practically mentored me and taught me most of the things I knew then. I was fresh from school inexperienced, and he was kind and patient enough enough to teach me things.

So please people share your own experience no matter how mundane it may sound, a positive experience no matter how small is better than a bad news any day anytime.

Please pardon my bad grammar I am on transit.

@lalastical please help push this to where everyone can see it. Sorry I will provide you snake thread as soon as I find one, I am out hunting for one for you. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians by YorubaNinja: 8:29am On Oct 14, 2019
Hmm...
Re: Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 14, 2019
The hate people promote on nairaland is horrible. There is no other platform Nigerians express the amount of hate they express here.

I hope seun looks at it critically and start a serious effort to sanitise the forum

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians by Hoephase: 8:39am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:
Hmm...

Bro there are bad people everywhere and there are great people too. I understand that we have to call out people when they are in the wrong but that shouldn't form the basis of treating an entire people.

I don't know if you have close friends or family member in military. Maybe you should talk to them and you may be surprised how their survival/safety depends on people from other tribe.

I don't know old you are but I was very young during the Live in Mogadishu era and I heard from parents how they conducted themselves out there irrespective of tribe or religion affiliation.

Take a clue from Nigerian elite/politicians one thing that has keep them in power so long is how they have rallied amongst themselves and one thing that has kept the masses down is how difficult it is for the masses to find a common ground to stand on.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians by Hoephase: 8:41am On Oct 14, 2019
jacksonkennedy:
The hate people promote on nairaland is horrible. There is no other platform Nigerians express the amount of hate they express here.

I hope seun looks at it critically and start a serious effort to sanitise the forum

It is too much, that at first I thought maybe some people were just trolling but looking at the scale and the extend people would go, I have to come realized that this is beyond trolling. There is trouble in the land.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians by YorubaNinja: 9:17am On Oct 14, 2019
Hoephase:

Bro there are bad people everywhere and there are great people too. I understand that we have to call out people when they are in the wrong but that shouldn't form the basis of treating an entire people.

I don't know if you have close friends or family member in military. Maybe you should talk to them and you may be surprised how their survival/safety depends on people from other tribe.

I don't know old you are but I was very young during the Live in Mogadishu era and I heard from parents how they conducted themselves out there irrespective of tribe or religion affiliation.

Take a clue from Nigerian elite/politicians one thing that has keep them in power so long is how they have rallied amongst themselves and one thing that has kept the masses down is how difficult it is for the masses to find a common ground to stand on.

Lurking in the shadows of justice, the truth isn't far fetched from the embers which my 'morbid' comment raised. There's always an iota of truth to every rumor without feigning ignorance.

You're absolutely correct. It's very wrong to stereotype or generalize from a few minorities behaviors or from a myopic perspective.
It's of course senseless to claim the superiority of a tribe over another, a political strategy effectively utilized by the Colonialists to accomplish their heinous tasks of creating a great divide among us.

Nevertheless, I think it's very imperative we don't bask in needless adulation of our prerogatives.
We have our differences, no doubt. Sometimes, I might have been misguided by sentiments but, nevertheless, the truth remains that, the platforms on which our cultural morals, ideologies and beliefs have been built have definitely impacted our thought processes and outlooks on life.

We can't and won't be the same. All that matters is our tolerance of one another regardless of our differences!

My sincere apologies should I have gone too far in my prior comments.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians by achikolo(f): 10:37am On Oct 14, 2019
[s]
YorubaNinja:

Lurking in the shadows of justice, the truth isn't far fetched from the embers which my 'morbid' comment raised. There's always an iota of truth to every rumor without feigning ignorance.

You're absolutely correct. It's very wrong to stereotype or generalize from a few minorities behaviors or from a myopic perspective.
It's of course senseless to claim the superiority of a tribe over another, a political strategy effectively utilized by the Colonialists to accomplish their heinous tasks of creating a great divide among us.

Nevertheless, I think it's very imperative we don't bask in needless adulation of our prerogatives.
We have our differences, no doubt. Sometimes, I might have been misguided by sentiments but, nevertheless, the truth remains that, the platforms on which our cultural morals, ideologies and beliefs have definitely impacted our thought processes and outlooks on life.

We can't and won't be the same. All that matters is our tolerance of one another regardless of our differences!

My sincere apologies should I have gone too far in my prior comments.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians by achikolo(f): 11:05am On Oct 14, 2019
[s]
YorubaNinja:
Hmm...
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians by BRATISLAVA: 4:52pm On Oct 14, 2019
jacksonkennedy:

he won't it's how he gets the wad
Re: Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians by igboamakaaa: 11:52am On Nov 30, 2019
Nairaland never used to be this bad. I used to come here to laugh but it's like a whole army of bigots invaded nairaland from 2013-2015
Re: Share Your Pleasant Encounter And Experience With Other Nigerians by helinues: 11:55am On Nov 30, 2019
I think my best experience with other tribes are with Hausa outside Nigeria.

Oh boy, the liberate one among them are so cool and friendly.. They express their minds without holding back..

Shout out to Bobby and co

But the truth is NL have opened my eyes to see what other tribes have towards my tribe.. I now know our enemies and friends

(1) (Reply)

"N3000 To Be Paid To Renewal National ID Card " - NIMC Reveals / Abducted Judge Released / Innoson: Anambra Based Auto Manufacturer Signs Partnership With Shell- PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.