Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,977 members, 7,825,050 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

The Kidnapped, Renamed, Converted, Sold Children - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / The Kidnapped, Renamed, Converted, Sold Children (242 Views)

More Photos Of The Kidnapped Passengers From Benue State Surface. / Chioma Chinedu Kidnapped In Enugu, Converted To Islam In Kaduna, To Be Married / One Of The Kidnapped Abia University Students Identified (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Kidnapped, Renamed, Converted, Sold Children by fxx2: 10:27am On Oct 14, 2019
We’re getting it all twisted.

The news about 9 kidnapped Kano children that were renamed and converted to Christianity before they were sold for either adoption or slavery has been making headline recently. This unfortunate crime was reported in the online Daily Nigeria of Tuesday, 12th of October, 2019. According to the report, taking samples of two of the children with original names as Umar Faruk Ibrahim and Aisha Muhammad Abdullahi were renamed as Onyedika Ogbodo and Ozioma Ogbodo respectively before they converted to Christianity and be sold out.

Many have reacted to this development, emphasizing mostly on “RENAMED AND CONVERTED” more than “KIDNAPPED” and “SLAVERY”. The fact here is that these children were “KIDNAPPED” and “SOLD OUT FOR SLAVERY”. Before I continue, it is my opinion that the criminals involved, including all accomplices at every stage should be QUICKLY prosecuted and EXECUTED. Execution may sound harsh but I cannot imagine having someone I know, whether friend or enemy kidnapped.

Now, we should understand that kidnapping is a means, and the end is always heartbreaking. We should look beyond renaming and converting as is observed in the recent case. Many victims were killed for rituals and sacrifices, raped, subjected to hard labour, used for terrorism, etc. The end transcends renaming and conversion. Imagine the physical and psychological torture the victims and their relatives undergo when the kidnappers are at work? It is something you would not wish on anyone if you really have a soul.

On the issue of conversion, I once read a story of a Hindu who murdered a Muslim during an uprising. The Hindu, filled with guilt, approached his spiritual leader, Mahatma Gandhi who told him that he would not be able to resurrect the victim but he must adopt the victim’s surviving son, and MUST RAISE HIM A MUSLIM. It was an almost impossible task but that was the only solution offered by Gandhi. In the present case, the issue is not just renaming and converting because, the criminals kidnapped these children perhaps for the financial return. There is no way they could make a good sale without “repackaging their goods (God forbid)” for maximum profit. That’s what probably brought about the “renaming and conversion”.

I am a Christian who has been helped a lot in my faith by my contact with Islam. I have studied the Vedas, Quran and Bible and have not been told by any of them to kidnap for any reason, including conversion. Also, there are many channels for adoption if that could be projected for the crime. And as for conversion, the first and perhaps the best tool is my conduct. Christians were called so because they were conducting themselves like Christ who went about doing good, even to those who wanted him down. Gandhi would say, “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” Kofi Atta Annan also observed that” the problem is not with the faith, but with the faithful.’

As we continue to analyze this evil, let us look beyond tribe, religion and political affiliations. The fact is that Kidnapping is a deadly crime that is becoming popular in Nigeria, and must be nipped in the bud. Workable solutions should be propagated rather than dwelling on how bad the crime might be. Remember, Evans (Chukwudubem Onwuamadike) is an Igbo and perhaps a Christian, and most of his victims are also Igbos and Christians. Also, the insurgents in the North-East claim they are fighting Jihad, and most of their victims and recruits are perhaps Muslims.

In search for solution, the judicial process in Nigeria has much to offer. Trial and execution of criminals like kidnappers should not be politicized. The police, the court, and all the agencies involved in this process should sit up when such crimes are committed. Then the masses have their own roles to play. Sometimes we suspect some criminal activities and claim ignorance perhaps because it does not directly affect us. There are other instances where security issues are discussed and appropriate steps suggested by the experts but we in our Nigerian attitude would not heed until victimized. Like in the present situation, maybe no one reported and followed up when a child, whether his or not goes missing. The system in Nigeria might have been jeopardized but I trust the Nigerian police in cases like this.

Above all, the many people that are crying against this crime are aware of many children roaming the streets without home or no one to call a father. We should not wait until these criminals take such advantages before we take action. I believe that if every child in Nigeria wakes up each morning under the care of his/her parents/ guardian who would expect to see him/her go to bed at the end of the day; kidnappers such as in the present case would be out of business. And in situations beyond our diligence, we should remember that we have One and Only God watching us all, including victims and the criminals. He does not fail us, only if we can trust him.

I am
Emeka Augustine,
writing from Kano State.

(1) (Reply)

In Nigeria They Will Arrest You First Before Finding Out Your Crime-Naira Marley / Serial Killer Gracious West Pleads Guilty To Killing 9 Women / Kids Kidnapped And Kept In A Casket Rescued By Resident In Abia State (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.