Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,572 members, 7,823,494 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! (2507 Views)

National Assembly Jumbo Salary: Labour To Shut Down The Economy / Impeachment: Labour To Shut Down Ekiti For Fayose As Group Writes CJN / Fayose Reacts To Supreme Court Victory, Pleads With Opposition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by wales(m): 7:58am On Nov 08, 2010
The agitation by civil servants for an increase of the current minimum wage by N1000 is not worth an industrial action, President Goodluck Jonathan said yesterday during an interview with airport reporters.

Mr. Jonathan, who was with reporters for the first time at the presidential wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport (MMA), Lagos, said his administration has been friendly with labour and that government is working hard to resolve the ongoing disagreement.

“On the issue of the wage, you know the federal government presently pays 17,000 and within this period, we raised it from 7,500 to 17,000. Now they are talking about the minimum wage of 18,000. You will agree with me that that 1000 difference for good people that have been friendly will not lead to any industrial action,” he said.

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) had threatened to embark on a three-day warning industrial action, starting from November 10, demanding an increment in their minimum wage.

The president disclosed that due process has to be followed before the wage increase can be implemented, adding that the increase will not only affect the arms of government, but also the private sector.

“If it was salary increase, I don’t think we will be discussing this matter, but this is minimum wage. Because it is minimum wage, it has to pass through all the sections of government, as specified by law. It must go to the National Assembly, because the law must be made and the minimum wage does not affect only government employees, and that is what Nigerians should know.

“Assuming federal government, states, and local government can pay, what of the private people who employ? Every employer of labour is affected, so if we now just go and impose a minimum wage on all Nigerians without due consultation, do you think small and medium scale enterprises can all meet up?” he asked.

More consultations

Mr. Jonathan disclosed that meticulous consultations has to be done before the law for the increase in minimum wage is passed and signed, stressing that the government desires to carry all parties along in the process.

“One thing again that labour should understand is that we met at the council of states to discuss the issue of minimum wage, but the provision is that council of states will advise government, then I will now send the minutes to the National Assembly.

“During that process, we said that we need to look at it again and also reason with labour, especially as it affects the private sector and other smaller employees; and this is to tell you that government takes labour matters seriously.

“We agreed that we are meeting again in three weeks time. This is council that meets once or at most two times a year. They (labour) know that government is passionate about them, and I believe they will not over demonstrate this minor difference.

“Nobody is saying they will not be paid, but let the consultations be done properly, that government will not be blamed if there are some lapses along the line,” he said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5639696-146/jonathan_pleads_with_labour_to_suspend.csp
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by wales(m): 7:59am On Nov 08, 2010
Fake man! Did you not think of all these before agreeing it with them in the first place? Now it is time to implement and you start dribbling. Just like your region's agitations did not get anybody's attention until it turned forceful, so too in this case.
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by sayso: 12:51pm On Nov 08, 2010
He is your president.
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by eleshin(m): 1:05pm On Nov 08, 2010
to pay parltry 18k to workers d stupid man nids 2 consul but to embezzle billions of naira nobody wud b consulted.4 GOD sake hw much is 18k?
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by Nobody: 1:28pm On Nov 08, 2010
as far as i'm concerned, NLC has missed it on this one

do they know the meaning of the word minimum?

minimum wage jobs are not jobs you are expected to raise a family on - thats why the word minimum applies

we also have to address the other pertinent issue- how many states can afford the figures nlc is demanding even in a society without thieving governors?

what they should be agitating on pegging is the maximum wage

i seem to recall wages of ceos in the wets have been capped - wages of our lawmakers should be capped and pronto
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by fASHCEO(m): 1:50pm On Nov 08, 2010
oyb:

minimum wage jobs are not jobs you are expected to raise a family on - thats why the word minimum applies

we also have to address the other pertinent issue- how many states can afford the figures nlc is demanding even in a society without thieving governors?

i seem to recall wages of ceos in the wets have been capped - wages of our lawmakers should be capped and pronto

Well since the only way out that this government can get anything that benefits the citizens done is to hold them a ransom, we can't fault NLC on this. If the FG truely cares and increased ths minimum before the foul cry from NLC, we wouldn't have gotten to this stage. Our problem has always been leadership.

58b Kudirat Abiola way, Oluyole bus-stop, by UBA bank, Oregun Ikeja.
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 08, 2010
^^^^

nlc is cheapening the whole concept of strike by embarking on this action

striking over lawmakers, fuel , even phcn - yes

- but n1000 - that is an issue that requires dialogue.
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by Excllncy(m): 2:21pm On Nov 08, 2010
It appears there are a lot of people here that still need formal education, like Wales and co. They still dont understand that there is a difference between the minimum wage being agitated by NLC and salary increament which the President did for Federal Civil Servants. Please educate yourselfs, so you dont cause more problems in Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by Ogbajie(m): 3:17pm On Nov 08, 2010
you guys need to understand that NLC does not have any problem with the Fed. govt that is already paying 17k, the problem is with the state govts and organised private sector. some states are paying as low as 6,500 with the exception of a few paying 12k. the fed. govt is paying 17k now and additional 1k according to mr. president will not affect the fed. govt. the strike is to compel state govts and the private sector pay.its just that NLC strike is always a "one for all and all for one action", and therefore can not be fully felt without federal civil servants being part of it,
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by GNBohr: 3:33pm On Nov 08, 2010
My pain with Nigerian government is that they are never sincere. My concern with Labour Union is that their leaders are always sell outs. At the end of the day, government will have its way, Labour will have its say and Labour leaders will have their 'settlement'.

Labour can only help itself fight what they deserve if their leaders are to remain committed. How can a sensible government be defending the difficulty in paying N18,000 when it can hardly sustain a single adult in a month. If the least paid worker spends an average of:

(a)   N100 per day on transport to and fro work,
(b)   N100 per day on food during office hours,
(c)    N50 per day on recharge cards,
(d)   N500 per month on PHCN,
(e)   N2000 per month on tenement
(f)    N500 per month on LAWMA bill

These will amount to N9250 per month, he is left with N8750 to survive on before the next N18000. So what does he do to survive, he engages in underhand actvities which is the corruption evil we all talk about. Now, imagine if the adult is married with a child at least in public primary school.

What government is saying is this: we can pay minimum wage of N18000, you guys know what you do to survive, just continue doing that.

What I am saying is that Labour needs to fight their cause if they really want to live above poverty line, hence the poverty cycle continues and corruption festers and we remain undeveloped.

The problem is Labour can not fight, they only make noise.
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by cpatra(f): 3:43pm On Nov 08, 2010
Is he paying with his personal money? Addition of N1000 is nothing compared to amount being embezzled by those in the House.
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by Abayomin70(m): 6:40pm On Nov 08, 2010
WAT D Bleep notin is yet so to be said about my school strike i jus wish am a strong member of a militant and jus go and kidnap gbenga daniel wife or grand parent in OMU in ogun state he will never be happy all d day of is life AMEN but y is GOD jus not kill dis people dat spoillin our future SORRY FOR DIVERTIN The TOPIC
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by MaiSuya(m): 9:12pm On Nov 08, 2010
It appears there are a lot of people here that still need formal education, like Wales and co. They still dont understand that there is a difference between the minimum wage being agitated by NLC and salary increament which the President did for Federal Civil Servants. Please educate yourselfs, so you dont cause more problems in Nigeria.

You could do well by educating us on the so-called differences. . undecided
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by Obijulius: 11:34pm On Nov 08, 2010
minimum wage for a hardworking, bloodsweating civil servant is 18,000 naira (& GEJ's govt can't pay)

monthly pay for bloody niger delta ex-militants is 65,000 naira (& GEJ will pay)

wat's d pleading for
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 09, 2010
^^^ Thank you jare for that analogy. Obviously this is a country that only responds to violence. Whether NLC cancels the strike or not, me am going on my own 3-day strike! cool
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by Nobody: 3:47pm On Nov 09, 2010
oyb:

I don't quite agree with you on that. If the maximum wage ios adjusted, every state should be able to afford the minimum wage. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

One of the problems in this country is the great gaps in salary and wages of various sectors. I personally don't think it should be so. People should not have to earn millions in one sector while others earn peanuts in another sector when they have similar quaifications and responsibilities and reside in the same country. It defies the laws of equity!

I'm not saying people shouldn't earn more than others but the gap should NOT be TOO wide as is obtainable in Nigeria!

Take for example the salary of Civil Servants and that of Legislators . . .  why should the difference be that wide     undecided
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by otokx(m): 4:28pm On Nov 09, 2010
When was the increase from 7500 to 17000 effected? GEJ how much do you pay youth corpers? NLC should go on strike
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by chiozor: 4:45pm On Nov 09, 2010
Obijulius:

minimum wage for a hardworking, bloodsweating civil servant is 18,000 naira (& GEJ's govt can't pay)

monthly pay for bloody niger delta ex-militants is 65,000 naira (& GEJ will pay)

wat's d pleading for

spot on!
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by seggyyoke(m): 10:42pm On Nov 09, 2010
is the strike still holding
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by silami(m): 2:12am On Nov 10, 2010
I can't even understand this our GEJ man sef. Why did u say in the first place if knew there was need for consultation? you should have made all your consultation before coming public. May God save us from incompetent leaders in JESUS name. Amen!
Re: Jonathan Pleads With Labour To Suspend Strike ! by mensdept: 2:42am On Nov 10, 2010
GEJ spoke very well about the consultation and need for all tiers of the gov't to be on the same page, since the minimum wage is not only for Federal workers, but state, lga (are we still seriously using them?) and private sectors.

In the Western World where (most) things work (including accountability) you would advocate for this, as you wouldnt expect Mississippi to be paying $5 min wage while South Carolina is paying $8 min wage, which could lead to some chaos.

Unfortunately,

eleshin:

to pay parltry 18k to workers d silly man nids 2 consul but to embezzle billions of naira nobody wud b consulted.4 GOD sake hw much is 18k?

that is true, GEJ and co have sliced and diced billions of Naira for state governors, gov't officials, and dozens of projects without consultations, nor without the input of you and I, and frankly, that spending has been UNACCOUNTABLE.

(1) (Reply)

Fashola (ACN) -dosunmu (PDP) Debates / Rochas Okorocha, Jude Agbaso Now Is The Time To Speak Up, Imolites Are No Fools… / Power Supply: Barth Nnaji Under Pressure!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.