Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,979 members, 7,866,674 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 10:55 PM

Why No Rice Should Mean No Problem For Serious Nigerians - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why No Rice Should Mean No Problem For Serious Nigerians (470 Views)

I Want To Eat Rice, Should I Use Spoon? / Expiry Date And Best Before Do NOT Mean The Same Thing! / Why Local Rice (unpolished Rice) Should Be More Expensive Than Foreign Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why No Rice Should Mean No Problem For Serious Nigerians by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 14, 2019
Why it shouldn't matter whose axe is gored, one can't help but feel pity for Nigerians who have made rice the cornerstone of their existence. Yes, it goes with a lot of things and you can certainly churn out a lot of fine dishes with it including 'jolof' and a host of others, but for crying out loud, when has the availability or none of rice become the main barometer to measure our economy (personally and nationally)? The borders are closed and if it wasn't for being current or at least having other options as meals, you'd think all we had to eat in this country was some seedy, turned fluffy-white or brown stuff! Well, I'm resigned, like the Nigerian government to try other things. You can get your carbs from other sources (cheaper) or be like our parents of old and take some good old starch (fufu, Gari, etc.) with some awesome-tasting vegetable soup! If you're worried about a party or wedding missing rice, perhaps you've never come across an occasion where guests had to roll up their 'agbada' and dig in to plethora of African cuisine at their disposal. Well, as I'm typing this, I just had beans and spag for lunch with some fish, needless to say it went down pretty well! For every cup of rice you miss from Thailand, Taiwan or China via Benin Republic and Niger, if you won't hunker down to buy local, consider other healthy alternatives rather complain always. Ciao!
Re: Why No Rice Should Mean No Problem For Serious Nigerians by tunjilomo(m): 6:49pm On Oct 14, 2019
grin Eba, Akpu, Fufu early in the morning. Ahhh. On a serious note, we should explore local alternatives to parboiled rice. Possibly if the demand is high, local farmers will farm it more intensively.

1 Like

Re: Why No Rice Should Mean No Problem For Serious Nigerians by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 14, 2019
tunjilomo:
grin Eba, Akpu, Fufu early in the morning. Ahhh. On a serious note, we should explore local alternatives to parboiled rice. Possibly if the demand is high, local farmers will farm it more intensively.
not necessarily those for breakfast. But you see my point.

2 Likes

Re: Why No Rice Should Mean No Problem For Serious Nigerians by nlPoster: 12:25am On Oct 15, 2019
Nigerians who have made rice the cornerstone of their existence

I doubt this can be rectified.

Rice is important to Nigerians.

Sunday rice is one of my earliest memories in the country.

You can get your carbs from other sources (cheaper) or be like our parents of old and take some good old starch (fufu, Gari, etc.) with some awesome-tasting vegetable soup!

True.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

What Can The Nutritious Black Garlic Be Made? / Tropical Smoothie Recipe / Want Quick Food Delivery?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.