Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

How To Remove Stones From Local Rice - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Remove Stones From Local Rice (11749 Views)

See The Local Rice I Purchased At 800 Naira Per Mudu In Birnin Kebbi (photo) / Fisayo Soyombo's Nigerian Local Rice Tweet: Nigerians Blast Him / Which Nigerian Local Rice Brand Is The Best ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 9:45am On Oct 15, 2019
It's been a while, but luckily I learnt how to filter local rice to make it edible and tastier.

Wash the rice with plenty of water.

Stir it thoroughly.

Use a small bowl to scoop the rice a little at a time, still with plenty of water

Roll the rice in the bowl, either manually or with a sliding motion

The stones should settle at the bottom of the bowl

Pour out the top rice slowly into another container

Dispose of the stones

Repeat the procedure until the rice is stone free.

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 9:46am On Oct 15, 2019
It's like panning for metals, how they wash them in the stream.

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 9:48am On Oct 15, 2019
It's best if you watch how its done.

To remove chaff and husks from rice is a different method also.
Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 9:56am On Oct 15, 2019
You can also parboil the rice then wash thoroughly, stir and remove the stones which would be at the bottom of the pot.
Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 10:02am On Oct 15, 2019
In this video, the rice is being washed. To destone rice, instead of draining the water, stir the rice and scoop it out a little at a time from the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k9ItS0QVTc

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 10:06am On Oct 15, 2019
Also manually pick the larger stones from the rice before washing it.
Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 10:07am On Oct 15, 2019
To dehusk rice and remove chaff, it might be better to have someone show you how to do it, or watch videos.

Its wind driven, you need a large flat tray and you carefully throw the rice in the air without spilling it.
Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 9:59pm On Oct 15, 2019
To dechaff the rice, you need to winnow it.

Winnow means separating the chaff from grain by fanning.

This is done by blowing a current of air through the individual rice grains, you either flip the rice on a large flat tray (that's the method I know), or you pour the rice from a distance and the air removes the chaff.
Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 9:59pm On Oct 15, 2019
Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 10:01pm On Oct 15, 2019
Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 10:03pm On Oct 15, 2019

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 10:09pm On Oct 15, 2019
The important thing when making ofada local rice is, don't be in a hurry, take your time and make sure you remove all the stones and chaff, it's not prepared the exact same way as polished rice, it requires a little more effort.

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 10:13pm On Oct 15, 2019
Like I pointed out before, an easy way to destone ofada rice is parboil, then separate the soft rice from the stones by a process of manual filtration.

This would remove the stones but not the chaff, the rice is best dechaffed before cooking while it's dry.

2 Likes

Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by nlPoster: 12:57am On Oct 16, 2019

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by meobizy(f): 3:02pm On Feb 01, 2021
It’s funny how this forum has existed for fifteen years and this never made front page. It shocks me even more that it was posted only once in all that time. I know next week I’ll see another “can males and females truly be friends?” appear on the front page or randomly in the romance section for the nth time. It shows where our brains are as a collective.
Re: How To Remove Stones From Local Rice by VirginTalent(m): 11:08am On Aug 01, 2021
We should be talking about Industrially creating stone-free rice like the ones imported from Asia. We even buy bags of rice boldly indicated "stone-free" yet if we prepare the rice to eat you will chew stone that will break your teeth!
We should be reporting any rice packaged with any iota of stone to NAFDAC.

What's wrong with us? With all the millions of graduates we have every year yet we are still grappling with STONES IN RICE. Shame on us.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Best Fruit Drink For This Season(zobocola) / What Can You Eat With N100? / How Many Hearts Does Pussycat Have?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.