Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,686 members, 7,831,126 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament (609 Views)

This Is Why Discos Are Reluctant To Install Prepaid Meters. / FX Crisis: Tinubu Begs Nigerians To Buy Local Goods, Approves N75bn 4 Manufactur / China Reluctant To Lend More Money To Nigeria, Believes Country Over-exposed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by deji17: 9:58pm On Oct 15, 2019
Nigerians are reluctant to buy local rice —– Sellers in Ilorin lament

OCTOBER 15, 2019

Rice sellers in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital have expressed worry over the reluctance of consumers to buy locally produced rice. Lake rice Some rice sellers who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday said consumers preferred to pay more for foreign imported rice than the cheaper locally produced one.

A rice seller, Mallam Mahmud Ismail said only few customers requested for local rice as they always preferred the foreign version. “Hardly will you see one out of 10 customers requesting for local rice in my shop. They always want the foreign rice,” Ismail said. Another seller, Mrs Bimpe Ekundayo said customers complained about the poor quality of the local rice. “Many customers complain of stone particles and the low quality of local rice. I make sales of 10 bags of foreign rice to 4 bags of Nigerian rice due to the quality,” Ekundayo said.

Another seller popularly called Iya Ibeji at Ipata market said sales of local rice was not fast as customers looked down on it. “Local rice is always second choice in their budget. They feel reluctant and sad when I suggest for them to buy local rice. They are even ready to pay more for the foreign rice,” she said. Mrs Iyabo Aina called on the Federal Government to lift ban on the importation of rice and allow free flow of the product in the country. “We are not making sales anymore. Nobody is ready to buy local rice and it is affecting our business.

Government should do something on time,” Aina said. However, Mr Stephen Ikechukwu, another seller, lamented that the closure of the borders against importation of foreign rice had caused sharp increase in the general prices of rice in the market. “Now, we sell local rice for N20,800 while the foreign rice is N26,000. It was never like this before the closure of the border when we used to sell a bag of local rice for N9,500 and the foreign N13,000,” he said.

Also, a rice seller, Alhaja Rukayat Usman urged the Federal Government to encourage the public to patronise local rice and stop discriminating against it. “We need to change our attitude towards locally made products and appreciate Nigerian made. We are fond of prioritizing anything foreign ahead of our locally made products which are bad,” she said. (NAN)

Vanguard

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/10/nigerians-are-reluctant-to-buy-local-rice-sellers-in-ilorin-lament/?utm_source=

Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by fergie001: 9:59pm On Oct 15, 2019
Hahahahahahaha
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
Hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No hunger in Nigeria, Sanono 2019.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by deji17: 10:02pm On Oct 15, 2019
Na wa o.

Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by deji17: 10:04pm On Oct 15, 2019
fergie001:
Hahahahahahaha
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
Hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No hunger in Nigeria, Sanono 2019.

E be like say this story just confirmed it o. There is no hunger in the country.. Nigerians prefers to eat expensive foreign rice. grin grin grin grin

I eat local rice and I like it.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by babyfaceafrica: 10:10pm On Oct 15, 2019
some nigerians and inferiority complex...some of these local rice are on par with foreign rice,but like everything the black man always believe that foreign things are better...we can't continue like this!!!
Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by fergie001: 10:10pm On Oct 15, 2019
deji17:

E be like say this story just confirmed it o. There is no hunger in the country.. Nigerians prefers to eat expensive foreign rice. grin grin grin grin

I eat local rice and I like it.
What the locals should do honestly is try to see why that foreign rice seem better, then try to adjust.
Everyone is on foreign levels, I stay not too far from the seme border but can tell you that rice still moves ooo, but it's heavy sorting. So it reflects in the amount, yet people are buying.

If the locals can tell you to open border then that means water don pass gari.
Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by deji17: 10:12pm On Oct 15, 2019
fergie001:

What the locals should do honestly is try to see why that foreign rice seem better, then try to adjust.
Everyone is on foreign levels, I stay not too far from the seme border but can tell you that rice still moves ooo, but it's heavy sorting. So it reflects in the amount, yet people are buying.

I learnt that many sellers are even re bagging the Local Rice in Foreign Rice bags. Naija, who do us this thing?
Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by fergie001: 10:13pm On Oct 15, 2019
deji17:

I learnt that many sellers are even re bagging the Local Rice in Foreign Rice bags. Naija, who do us this thing?
In my area, everyone is buying the expensive foreign rice oooo.
People are storing rice against Christmas sef........no time.
Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by deji17: 10:15pm On Oct 15, 2019
fergie001:

In my area, everyone is buying the expensive foreign rice oooo.
People are storing rice against Christmas sef........no time.

But the quality of some of the local rice has improved significantly. Wetin dey do us?
Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by fergie001: 10:18pm On Oct 15, 2019
deji17:

But the quality of some of the local rice has improved significantly. Wetin dey do us?
grin grin grin
Those in authority, do they eat the local rice we eat?
If No? Why.....let's start from there.
For me, I eat what I see but you know women are tentative about these things.
Gandollar come ooooo....comman kowatiate the difference between the rice oooo.
Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by deji17: 10:21pm On Oct 15, 2019
fergie001:

grin grin grin
Those in authority, do they eat the local rice we eat?
If No? Why.....let's start from there.
For me, I eat what I see but you know women are tentative about these things.
Gandollar come ooooo....comman kowatiate the difference between the rice oooo.

But that assertion cannot be verified now. Have you been to their dinning table to check which rice is served?
Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by fergie001: 10:23pm On Oct 15, 2019
deji17:

But that assertion cannot be verified now. Have you been to their dinning table to check which rice is served?
Do I need to get to Aso Rock to know the cars they drive?
Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by deji17: 10:25pm On Oct 15, 2019
fergie001:

Do I need to get to Aso Rock to know the cars they drive?

Car is different from Rice nau. Moreover we've heard of Govt agencies ordering and using Locally produced cars...
Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by fergie001: 10:29pm On Oct 15, 2019
deji17:

Car is different from Rice nau. Moreover we've heard of Govt agencies ordering and using Locally produced cars...
For show or for real?
The ones Nigerians almost killed Innoson for, some weeks ago.?
Re: Nigerians Are Reluctant To Buy Local Rice —– Sellers In Ilorin Lament by Mynd44: 11:47pm On Oct 15, 2019

(1)

Miyetti Allah Sets Up Committee To Get Rid Of Criminal Herdsmen (photo) / Why We Love Gov.yahaya Bello – Kogi Youths In Diaspora / You Can Retrieve Your National Identity Number (NIN) Using a Short Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.